Jun 14 - Top Ten America's Dirtiest Cities

most viewed right now
 172
The pyramids were what?
48 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 109
Video inside Pusha T's brother 'No Malice' speaks on Drake Ye & Kim K
51 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 103
Image(s) inside How the hell did Jaden Smith smash Sarahfu-kingsnyder !
37 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 83
Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj hating on Cardi B and Offsets love?
41 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Is your city on the list?

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #1
6904 pageviews
99 comments


SM 39081 heat pts39081
space
space
space
$133,785 | Props total: 88029 88029
Jun 14 - Top Ten America's Dirtiest Cities
 

 

TOP 10 DIRTIEST U.S. CITIES

1. New Orleans
2. Philadelphia
3. Los Angeles
4. Memphis
5. New York
6. Baltimore
7. Las vegas
8. Miami
9. Atlanta
10. Houston
How do you define a city's soul? For a lot of travelers, it's in the dirt.

Atlanta ad exec Patrick Scullin, for instance, loves Baltimore—but not because it's particularly pristine. "Yes, there's litter, smokers, and graffiti," he says, "but that's just life going on. The air sometimes offends, but a cool breeze off the harbor can ease all worries. It's a gem of a city."

While such sentiments don't appear in tourist brochures, that glorious grit has landed Baltimore in the Top 10 dirtiest cities, as chosen by Travel + Leisure readers in the annual America's Favorite Cities survey. Of course, visitors gauge "dirty" in a variety of ways: litter, air pollution, even the taste of local tap water.

This year's American State Litter Scorecard, published by advocacy group the American Society for Public Administration, put both Nevada and Louisiana in the bottom five—echoing the a.ssessment of T+L readers who ranked Las Vegas and New Orleans among America's dirtiest cities.

Likewise, the American Lung a.ssociation releases an annual State of the Air report, listing cities with the least (and most) pollution. Not surprisingly, Los Angeles fared poorly again this year—but so did Phoenix, which T+L readers actually ranked among the top 15 "cleanest."

It just goes to show that for casual visitors, passing judgment on a city's dirt factor is pretty subjective—and may even have a lot to do with a general vibe. Many of the cities that ranked poorly in the AFC survey also tanked when it came to environmental awareness, nice public parks, or pedestrian-friendly streets.

On the bright side, those same dirty cities also offer a lot of, well, atmosphere. Memphis, Las Vegas, and Miami ranked highly for having great bar scenes, live music, or quirky people-watching.

So while no one would dissuade a city from doing some renovations or stepping up its recycling, there is something to be said for a little disheveled charm. "I love New York City because it's not pristine," says Kaamna Bhojwani-Dhawan, founder of family travel site MomAboard. "It's a city that has never shunned a chance to fully experience life—and it has the scars to prove it."


[pic - click to view]

 America's dirtiest cities include popular tourist destinations

99 comments for "Jun 14 - Top Ten America's Dirtiest Cities"

 7 years ago '07        #2
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$15,931 | Props total: 4074 4074
Philadelphia is disgusting
 7 years ago '04        #3
Aesop730 14 heat pts14
space
avatar space
space
$19,979 | Props total: 5968 5968
Dirty a.ss cities .. Im glad the D aint on there ..
 7 years ago '09        #4
Msfourfteleven 23 heat pts23
space
avatar space
space
$6,878 | Props total: 827 827
 SM said:



How do you define a city's soul? For a lot of travelers, it's in the dirt.

Atlanta ad exec Patrick Scullin, for instance, loves Baltimore—but not because it's particularly pristine. "Yes, there's litter, smokers, and graffiti," he says, "but that's just life going on. The air sometimes offends, but a cool breeze off the harbor can ease all worries. It's a gem of a city."While such sentiments don't appear in tourist brochures, that glorious grit has landed Baltimore in the Top 10 dirtiest cities, as chosen by Travel + Leisure readers in the annual America's Favorite Cities survey. Of course, visitors gauge "dirty" in a variety of ways: litter, air pollution, even the taste of local tap water.

This year's American State Litter Scorecard, published by advocacy group the American Society for Public Administration, put both Nevada and Louisiana in the bottom five—echoing the a.ssessment of T+L readers who ranked Las Vegas and New Orleans among America's dirtiest cities.

Likewise, the American Lung a.ssociation releases an annual State of the Air report, listing cities with the least (and most) pollution. Not surprisingly, Los Angeles fared poorly again this year—but so did Phoenix, which T+L readers actually ranked among the top 15 "cleanest."

It just goes to show that for casual visitors, passing judgment on a city's dirt factor is pretty subjective—and may even have a lot to do with a general vibe. Many of the cities that ranked poorly in the AFC survey also tanked when it came to environmental awareness, nice public parks, or pedestrian-friendly streets.

On the bright side, those same dirty cities also offer a lot of, well, atmosphere. Memphis, Las Vegas, and Miami ranked highly for having great bar scenes, live music, or quirky people-watching.

So while no one would dissuade a city from doing some renovations or stepping up its recycling, there is something to be said for a little disheveled charm. "I love New York City because it's not pristine," says Kaamna Bhojwani-Dhawan, founder of family travel site MomAboard. "It's a city that has never shunned a chance to fully experience life—and it has the scars to prove it."




 7 years ago '07        #5
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
avatar space
space
$17,916 | Props total: 5171 5171
What??? No midwest cities (specifically Ohio cities)??? I cant believe it but good list....i guess
 7 years ago '06        #6
ClevelandRay 
space
avatar space
space
$2,395 | Props total: 3 3
 wtr1906 said:
What??? No midwest cities (specifically Ohio cities)??? I cant believe it but good list....i guess
Nope, to be honet we are one of the cleaner areas now - the upside to the loss of companies in the area; waste. I still would think NYC would be number one - just so many people its hard to keep clean
 7 years ago '07        #7
jordanfreak7 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,658 | Props total: 42 42
glad to see oakland didn't make it
 7 years ago '05        #8
poeknock 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$5,748 | Props total: 197 197
I knew philly would be on there
 7 years ago '07        #9
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$15,931 | Props total: 4074 4074
 poeknock said:
I knew philly would be on there

Anybody that has ever been to Philly knew that they were going to be on this list
 7 years ago '09        #10
TERRANCE CRACK 48 heat pts48
space
avatar space
space
$8,194 | Props total: 51 51
 ghost8 said:
Anybody that has ever been to Philly knew that they were going to be on this list
new york is mad dirtier than philly
 7 years ago '08        #11
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$6,091 | Props total: 2070 2070
Miami?
 06-14-2011, 09:48 AM         #12
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 davilla24c said:
Miami?
its bigger than just south beach
 7 years ago '05        #13
TCalico87 36 heat pts36
space
avatar space
space
$1,384 | Props total: 45 45
Memphis on another list!


For those of you who have never been to Memphis, its not that bad.
 7 years ago '08        #14
RustyLorcin 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$3,499 | Props total: 734 734
In terms of dirtiest and grimmest looking city, no doubt is Philly. Baltimore was pretty nice, i liked it and maybe it should not be in that list.


Last edited by RustyLorcin; 06-14-2011 at 11:31 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #15
Ron Swanson 163 heat pts163
space
avatar space
space
$34,163 | Props total: 38207 38207
Seattle sh*ts on a soooo many of the major cities!!!
 7 years ago '06        #16
bigkilla 20 heat pts20
space
space
space
$6,078 | Props total: 10286 10286
I honestly never been to most spots but I still think NYC should be number 1.. the amout of tourists and just people that don't give a fu*k is ridiculous every day.
 7 years ago '04        #17
Shea-bird 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,790 | Props total: 497 497
 TERRANCE CRACK said:
new york is mad dirtier than philly
No way in hell. I went to college near there, and just visited some friends in CCity, that place is a dump.
 7 years ago '07        #18
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$15,931 | Props total: 4074 4074
 RustyLorcin said:
In terms of dirtiest and grimmest looking city, no doubt is Philly. Baltimore was pretty nice, i liked it and maybe it should not be in that list.

Baltimore definitely belongs on this. You probably only have been to downtown BMore around the harbor. Everything outside of that is a complete dump.
 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM         #19
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Atlanta stay losing
 7 years ago '05        #20
Gateway972 47 heat pts47
space
avatar space
space
$2,692 | Props total: 350 350
I just drove through memphis last week and felt that i needed a shower
Home         
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 44
Image(s) inside The Frame on this AMAZON.com/Ninimour Model tho...
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 41
Image(s) inside PAWG got no chill (#Jheeez)
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 35
Image(s) inside May 25 - Rachel Dolezal faces 15 yrs in prison if convicted of felony ..
46 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
 22
Article inside Reboot your router
47 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 19
Video inside BREAKING - Chi Wire: MUBU Krump (The ScoreKeeper) DEAD !
128 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 16
Drake- I’m Upset
422 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 10
Image(s) inside Smashing With The House Arrest Bracelet On 🤷🏾*♂&..
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 7
Video inside J Prince says a rogue DEA hitman was contracted to kill him!
77 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy