Jun 7 - Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption.

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
143 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
19 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
5973 pageviews
62 comments

Exs 151 heat pts151
space
space
$5,766 | Props total: 1281 1281
Jun 7 - Amazing Solar Eruption This Morning (vids w/dramatic music)

Early this morning (June 7, 2011) an amazingly massive and spectacular event took place on the Sun; a huge prominence eruption, marked by a solar flare and release of energetic particles. Daniel Pend!ck from the Geeked on Goddard blog described it as a “fountain of plasma that blasts out of the solar surface, spreads outward, and collapses to splat back down.”

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

“I’ve never seen material released like this before, such a huge amount that falls back down in such a spectacular way,” says Dr. C. Alex Young in the video. “It looks like someone just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and it fell back down.” Young added that this event will probably not cause any problems as far as space weather affecting Earth.

This video is courtesy NASA Goddard’sHelioviewer.org

Below are some still images of the event from the Solar Dynamics Observatory and (just added at 1755 UTC) a video from SDO showing the event in several different wavelengths.

[pic - click to view]

A huge and spectacular prominence eruption on the Sun, June 7, 2011. Credit: NASA/Solar Dynamics Observatory

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Monster Prominence Erupts from Sun

Last edited by Exs; 06-07-2011 at 01:09 PM..

62 comments for "Jun 7 - Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption."

7 years ago '04        #2
Exs 151 heat pts151 OP
space
space
 Michael 1987 said:
Don't worry my friend

"Young added that this event will probably not cause any problems as far as space weather affecting Earth. "

7 years ago '06        #3
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
That's crazy. I can't even begin to comprehend how huge that blast really was. I'm horrible at math but my guess would be that the plasma that fell back down into the sun could probably engulf Earth 10+ times over.
 7 years ago '08        #4
tdnupe3 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,072 | Props total: 12274 12274
WOW. That is truly amazing.
 7 years ago '04        #5
Exs 151 heat pts151 OP
space
space
I'd be willing to bet that just one of those projectiles falling back towards the Sun's surface could be the size of say a " Pluto " or a large asteroid. Amazing.

Last edited by Exs; 06-07-2011 at 01:39 PM..
 7 years ago '98        #6
ronnie|A 10 heat pts10
space
space
$30,188 | Props total: 3566 3566
damn... thats a massive spontaneous blast
 7 years ago '11        #7
jackiiexgarciia 
space
space
$1,668 | Props total: 1 1
that's flippin crazy i went to the griffith observatory in april n was trippin out on the sun & then u post this lol the universe is a mysterious a.ss place..
 7 years ago '06        #8
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,533 | Props total: 1036 1036
Damn Sun......You scary!!!
 7 years ago '08        #9
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,736 | Props total: 1216 1216
 titanreese said:
Damn Sun......You scary!!!
 7 years ago '11        #10
default28 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,698 | Props total: 1148 1148
lol.
wut if we all just died this morning without notice.

cmon man...

if that sh*t was bigger, it would of been possible.
 7 years ago '06        #11
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
 MumblesDaHumble said:
1000 times
unreal
 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM         #12
Cya Nerd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
None of you are promised tomorrow sooooooooooooooooooooo fu*k up
 7 years ago '06        #13
Big Yari 5 heat pts
space
space
$731 | Props total: 71 71
 stacks050 said:
The sun's cycle will peak in late 2012 so in that time these solars storms will frequent more and become more powerful. Earth's magnetic shield is very weak with a huge hole in it ATM so if a major solar flare happens and is directed at us, no bueno.
exactly what i was thinking. Watching the video gave me a bad feeling.
 7 years ago '09        #14
MPipes101 44 heat pts44
space
space
$3,886 | Props total: 1099 1099
 7 years ago '05        #15
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
$8,870 | Props total: 4 4
 sandninja said:
fu*k all this end of the world sh*t makes me wanna just forget my goals and just fu*k bi*ches till 2012
Where does it say anything about the end of the world?
 7 years ago '04        #16
Snipper 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,214 | Props total: 934 934
thank you superman:agreement6:
 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM         #17
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
n*gga had to fart
 7 years ago '08        #18
tdnupe3 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,072 | Props total: 12274 12274
 stacks050 said:
The sun's cycle will peak in late 2012 so in that time these solars storms will frequent more and become more powerful. Earth's magnetic shield is very weak with a huge hole in it ATM so if a major solar flare happens and is directed at us, no bueno.
all jokes aside, where is the information to support the statement about the sun's cycle? I'm not asking because I don't believe, I'm asking so that I can read it for myself.
 7 years ago '05        #19
Freemind 41 heat pts41
space
space
$8,870 | Props total: 4 4
 tdnupe3 said:
all jokes aside, where is the information to support the statement about the sun's cycle? I'm not asking because I don't believe, I'm asking so that I can read it for myself.
Google

Why don't people know how to use google yet?

Just type in sun cycle or solar cycle and research for yourself
 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM         #20
CoLDBloodED 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Coronal mass ejection as viewed by the Solar Dynamics Observatory on June 7, 2011.
CREDIT: NASA/SDO

The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.

"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy particles a.ssociated with it, but I've just never seen material released like this before," Young said. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down." [Video: See the sun's June 7 solar flare and eruption]

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft caught high-definition video of the flare in different wavelengths. The event registered as a Class M-2 solar flare, which is a medium-class sun storm that should not pose a danger to satellites or infrastructure on Earth.

An alert by the NOAA-operated Space Weather Prediction Center stated that the solar flare could create a strong geomagnetic storm on Wednesday (June 9) from the event's coronal mass ejection (CME), an explosion of charged particles triggered by the flare. Geomagnetic storms can lead to stronger than normal displays of Earth's auroras, also known as the northern and southern lights.

"It's nothing we really have to worry about," Young said in his video. "It's just really, really beautiful."

The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph (5 million kph), SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

"Due to its angle, however, effects on Earth should be fairly small. Nevertheless, it may generate space weather effects here on Earth in a few days," they added.

In the SDO videos, the solar flare erupts from the lower right of the sun and triggers the intense coronal mass ejection, which blows plasma and particles high up into the sun's corona — its outer atmosphere — with some raining back down.

SDO mission scientists said the flare kicked up relatively cool gas and material.

"It is somewhat unique because at many places in the eruption there seems to be even cooler material —at temperatures less than 80,000 Kelvin," SDO scientists explained.

A temperature of 80,000 Kelvin is about 143,540 degrees Fahrenheit (nearly 79,727 degrees Celsius). The sun's corona typically has temperatures ranging from 900,000 degrees F (500,000 degrees C) to 10.8 million degrees F (6 million degrees C). It can reach tens of millions of degrees when a solar flare occurs.

The sun is currently going through an active period in it is 11-year solar weather cycle. The current cycle is called solar cycle 24.

Several NASA spacecraft are keeping constant watch on the sun for flares and CMEs, and serve as an early-warning system for major space weather events.

You can follow SPACE.com Managing Editor Tariq Malik on Twitter @tariqjmalik. Follow SPACE.com for the latest in space science and exploration news on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.

Source:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
31 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
284 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
145 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
72 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
53 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
45 comments
24 hours ago