Do you ever have second thoughts about your college major?

most viewed right now
 104
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 59
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
39 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 57
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 39
NBA Nas got the last laugh
84 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM         #21
illicitx  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Rique said:
hell yeah marketing bout to switch to finance asap

Yeah I heard that if you aren't going to a top school for a marketing program, it is truly hard to get into an ideal marketing position with job security.

Finance & Accounting are technical skills that you learn rather than theory based like marketing. You can easily apply for a position in a marketing firm with a finance or accounting background rather vice versa.

Try accounting before finance, more opportunities my n*gga.
 7 years ago '07        #22
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,325 | Props total: 1110 1110
 illicitx said:
Yeah I heard that if you aren't going to a top school for a marketing program, it is truly hard to get into an ideal marketing position with job security.

Finance & Accounting are technical skills that you learn rather than theory based like marketing. You can easily apply for a position in a marketing firm with a finance or accounting background rather vice versa.

Try accounting before finance, more opportunities my n*gga.
Yea thats good for dude, Im a Finance Accounting double major and if I was him Id definetely try Finance first. I mean Accounting is cool and like you said theres more opportunities but IMO Finance is WAY more interesting... Accounting has those times where it gets extremely dry to learn.
 7 years ago '06        #23
Rique 60 heat pts60
space
avatar space
space
$40,483 | Props total: 17927 17927
 illicitx said:
Yeah I heard that if you aren't going to a top school for a marketing program, it is truly hard to get into an ideal marketing position with job security.

Finance & Accounting are technical skills that you learn rather than theory based like marketing. You can easily apply for a position in a marketing firm with a finance or accounting background rather vice versa.

Try accounting before finance, more opportunities my n*gga.
I heard accounting has more opportunities, but as long as I pass the series exam I should be good. Yeah I seen I could get pretty much any marketing job with a finance degree thats why I chose to switch so just in case I cant get into Marketing I still have a fall back option
 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM         #24
Giuseppe554  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what are your thoughts on the pharmacy field guys?
 7 years ago '11        #25
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
 Giuseppe554 said:
what are your thoughts on the pharmacy field guys?
Hella good money. Its an on-demand job. Just lots of schooling. And I'm sure getting into a program is challenging. your gonna need a good GPA, prequisites, volunteer work, and letters of recommendations to get in.
 7 years ago '05        #26
I_REP_VA 10 heat pts10
space
avatar space
space
$7,726 | Props total: 1873 1873
Don't worry. It's natural.

I had some moments where I didn't want to study for finance plenty of times...

But just remember, just because you major in accouting doesn't mean you have to do accounting. Still opens a lot of doors for opportunity in the business world. You know the language of business, which accounting is.

But, since the norm is getting your CPA when you're majoring in accounting, you might as well get your CPA if u get accounting.
 7 years ago '09        #27
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
avatar space
space
$8,818 | Props total: 1138 1138
And the good thing about get the CPA like my man above said, is that is requires you to have 150 credit hours. You can take 30 hours of classes in another concentration to meet your 150 requirement and it can possibly open some doors outside of Accounting.
 7 years ago '06        #28
down2earth 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$3,391 | Props total: 0 0
I was an economics major looking to go into law school to study corporate law but currently I am looking at other majors because I found that after 3 years, it just wasnt for me. Im looking at psychology and perhaps being a psychologist or psychiatrist. any advice?
 7 years ago '10        #29
Superboy504 13 heat pts13
space
avatar space
space
$2,919 | Props total: 147 147
Just cuz you majored in accounting, doesnt mean that you actual JOB has to be in accounting. I feel you though, reviewing numbers sitting next to stupid people who plan lunch instead of actual coming to work FOR work can get old really quick. Nobody wants that life. If you came this far into the process, you should finish. Your degree WILL be work something. Scientifically speaking, only 18% of the people in America HAVE a college degree. Thank God I'm in that 18%! My major was marketing with a minor in management. I graduated 2 years ago. Has is paid off yet? No. But at least I know its there when the time actually shows up. In the college of business, Accouning and CIS gets paid the most $$$ while marketing and management get paid the least. So you definetely in the right field. But like I said earlier, just cuz your degree said ACCOUNTING doesn't mean you HAVE to work in accounting. I know alot of people who majored in accounting and don't even have a accounting job!!! Most employers just care if you FINISHED school; not what your major is anyways.
 7 years ago '07        #30
Truth B T0ld 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$5,556 | Props total: 339 339
Nope, Engineering > all.
 7 years ago '11        #31
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
Okay what if you're like me and plan on majoring in accounting, but still want to pursue my dream job which is physical therapy. The only reason I plan on majoring in accounting is because it's a good degree with many options and I can still get into a PT program with it(most PT's pursue a degree like excercise physiology which is a pointless degree). Is this a good idea?
 7 years ago '04        #32
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,807 | Props total: 1461 1461
 ajymerced said:
Okay what if you're like me and plan on majoring in accounting, but still want to pursue my dream job which is physical therapy. The only reason I plan on majoring in accounting is because it's a good degree with many options and I can still get into a PT program with it(most PT's pursue a degree like excercise physiology which is a pointless degree). Is this a good idea?
I am being 100 percent my dude, sit down and figure out what you want to do... I was once in your spot, and admire your game plan (having had the same game plan) but in the end of the day its a BIG WASTE of time... to complete a accounting degree, just incase, then u gotta play catch up, and complete all the PT requirements all your sciences, on top of that getting them PT hours, recommendation for PT school, TOO MUCH... either go all in or don't do it at all... ALOT of people on boxden are waaay to worried about the money, instead of the passion, behind your job, and I will say this again, its all about how you play the game of life... I have seen people with accounting degrees, not land a job, I have seen people with engineering degrees not land jobs, its all about how bad you want something, on the other hand I have seen psychology majors, land upper management jobs, its all about your drive and the experience and what you have to offer that job...


Last edited by egotistical; 06-07-2011 at 05:24 PM..
 7 years ago '11        #33
ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
 egotistical said:
I am being 100 percent my dude, sit down and figure out what you want to do... I was once in your spot, and admire your game plan (having had the same game plan) but in the end of the day its a BIG WASTE of time... to complete a accounting degree, just incase, then u gotta play catch up, and complete all the PT requirements all your sciences, on top of that getting them PT hours, recommendation for PT school, TOO MUCH... either go all in or don't do it at all... ALOT of people on boxden are waaay to worried about the money, instead of the passion, behind your job, and I will say this again, its all about how you play the game of life... I have seen people with accounting degrees, not land a job, I have seen people with engineering degrees not land jobs, its all about how bad you want something, on the other hand I have seen psychology majors, land upper management jobs, its all about your drive and the experience and what you have to offer that job...
Real talk. and playing catch up would be tough. So since you had the same game plan is me, what'd you end up doing?
 7 years ago '04        #34
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,807 | Props total: 1461 1461
 ajymerced said:
Real talk. and playing catch up would be tough. So since you had the same game plan is me, what'd you end up doing?
Pursuing my passion, in computers, so I changed to an business information systems major. I have had a passion for computers ever since I was little, but didn't major in it in college, because of all the outsourcing news. Which is reality for any field even accounting. Another thing is my brother is a prime example of going for the money then worrying about everything else later... It got him ALOT of money, but he is stressed ALOT, hates his job, which you spend usually majority of your day at, so just make it something good. I got into PT, because it was very rewarding job, decent money, but mainly because of the opportunity and the stability. Waste like 2 semester of stressing my a.ss off worrying sh*tless about my grades... only to realize I am only doing this for stability, so I change my major and went for something I will enjoy doing.
 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM         #35
NAMASTE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've always had a strong interest in the sciences so I chose to be a biology major because I thought it would be pretty easy to get through (I was wrong). The first year was cool but the 2nd and 3rd were a k!ller, and I seriously debated switching to a language major (nodisrespecttoanylanguagemajorsoutthere ;-) ). Really glad I didn't though because I'm prepping for the mcat and those annoying courses are being put to good use :grin2:
 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM         #36
NAMASTE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Giuseppe554 said:
what are your thoughts on the pharmacy field guys?
Pharmacy's a safe field to work in. You will never be without work and the pay is more than enough to live very comfortably :D. The only thing I would advise is to be sure that you have volunteered or shadowed at a pharmacy to see what a "day in the life" of a pharmacist is like because I've heard a lot of people complain about how monotonous or boring it can get... BUT if you have looked into it and the work atmosphere doesn't bother you then go for it!
 7 years ago '08        #37
arthurmack27 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,934 | Props total: 687 687
if ur already a senior, then finnish up this year and get obtain your degree. with u coming within inches of obtaining it, theres no reason for u to not to. its beneficial to cus youll never starve and have a back up plan.

the good thing about college is, if you change ur major, u dont have to start ur entire academic career from scratch. many of the classes u have completed are needed in other majors and they count towards them.
 7 years ago '04        #38
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
$4,465 | Props total: 293 293
I'm an accountant at a fortune 100 company and it's not boring at all so for all you thinking my job is boring, fu*k OFF lol haha.
 7 years ago '05        #39
trb_5 
space
avatar space
space
$5,356 | Props total: 750 750
 ajymerced said:
Okay what if you're like me and plan on majoring in accounting, but still want to pursue my dream job which is physical therapy. The only reason I plan on majoring in accounting is because it's a good degree with many options and I can still get into a PT program with it(most PT's pursue a degree like excercise physiology which is a pointless degree). Is this a good idea?
yea its not a bad idea...i was a business major with the intention of being a doctor...i took the pre req classes and then eventually learned i hated business and minored in business and changed my major to bio and graduated last semester.....i was a accounting concentration as well....you can do it...just register for the science classes....its totally doable
 7 years ago '05        #40
trb_5 
space
avatar space
space
$5,356 | Props total: 750 750
 NAMASTE said:
I've always had a strong interest in the sciences so I chose to be a biology major because I thought it would be pretty easy to get through (I was wrong). The first year was cool but the 2nd and 3rd were a k!ller, and I seriously debated switching to a language major (nodisrespecttoanylanguagemajorsoutthere ;-) ). Really glad I didn't though because I'm prepping for the mcat and those annoying courses are being put to good use :grin2:
im taking it june 16th man....i feel you
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 46
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 39
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
155 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 34
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 20
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
228 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 20
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
70 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 8
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
94 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 7
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
249 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 7
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
161 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy