most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
79 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
66 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
5817 pageviews
112 comments

MGz 953 heat pts953
space
space
$8,171 | Props total: 8725 8725
May 23 - New York City outdoor smoking ban begins

[pic - click to view]

New York (CNN) -- Smokers in New York City looking to light up in most public places will not be able to without paying a price after an outdoor citywide smoking ban takes effect Monday.

The law, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed in February after it was passed by the New York City Council, will make smoking illegal in New York City's 1,700 parks and on the city's 14 miles of public beaches. Smoking will also be prohibited in pedestrian plazas like Times Square.

The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter.

Secondhand smoke causes close to 50,000 deaths per year, and side effects may include lung cancer, respiratory infections and asthma, according to the American Lung a.ssociation's website. Cigarette butts account for 75% of the litter found on New York City beaches, according to a news release from Bloomberg's office.

"Smoking in parks and beaches not only harms people trying to enjoy these recreational facilities, it also causes a litter problem that harms the beauty of our parks," Bloomberg said before he signed the bill into law.

New York follows in the footsteps of 105 municipalities (in states including California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and New Jersey) that have banned smoking on public beaches, according to data from the advocacy group Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. Major cities include Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Seattle.

In states including California, Texas, Illinois, Minnesota and New Jersey, 507 municipalities impose laws that prohibit city parks, or specifically named city parks, to allow smoking. Major cities include Los Angeles, San Francisco and Salt Lake City.

Puerto Rico prohibits smoking in all parks and beaches.

"These smoke-free laws start at a local level," said Cynthia Hallett, executive director of Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. "They are based on community demand, science looking at exposure to secondhand smoke and the environmental impact."

Thirty-five states have laws in effect that require 100% smoke-free nonhospitality workplaces, restaurants or bars, according to the American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation's "Summary of 100% Smokefree State Laws and Population Protected by 100% U.S. Smokefree Laws" compiled in April 2011.

In all, 79.4% of the country's population is covered by local and state laws banning smoking.

Hallett added that the trend to ban smoking is working from the inside out, starting in the indoor workplace, moving to restaurants with patios and then eventually to the great outdoors.

Not all New Yorkers are embracing the ban. New York City C.L.A.S.H. (Citizens Lobbying Against Smoker Harassment), a grass-roots organization, is staging a "smoke in the park" to call for repeal or to simply demonstrate anger, according to the group's website.

The ban will be enforced by the city's parks department, and if violators are caught, they could be fined $50.

New York passed its first Smoke Free Air Act in 1988, when smoking was banned in public restrooms and taxicabs. Since then, the law has been amended three times, most notably in 2002, when smoking in some indoor areas -- including restaurants and bars -- was banned.

[pic - click to view]

New York City outdoor smoking ban begins - CNN.com

112 comments for "May 23 - New York City outdoor smoking ban begins"

7 years ago '10        #2
TSweeze 
space
space
$567 | Props total: 21 21
are you fu*king kidding me
 7 years ago '08        #3
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,736 | Props total: 1216 1216
I dont smoke but whatever happened to like public rights and sh*t
 7 years ago '05        #4
Cashville2400 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,868 | Props total: 153 153
I am getting real sick of all these fu*ks taking away everyone's right to do and say anything....well unless you are gay or a terrorist then you can do as you please.
 7 years ago '05        #5
dg177bx 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$7,605 | Props total: 1 1
dont smoke, but another reason for cops to fu*k with u for no reason= more misunderstandings in ny=more arrests

Last edited by dg177bx; 05-23-2011 at 11:04 PM..
 7 years ago '10        #6
WhoNextWithPlex 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,831 | Props total: 5997 5997
 Cashville2400 said:
I am getting real sick of all these fu*ks taking away everyone's right to do and say anything....well unless you are gay or a terrorist then you can do as you please.
im a smoker so im not bi*ching at you. but techinically we're "taking away" a non smokers right to breathe clean air. since we have a choice where we can smoke and they dont have a choice where they can breathe, if they dont want the smoke in their lungs its their human right, its not our right to smoke. thats what they tell me in ontario anyway
 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM         #7
Giuseppe554 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well that means im fu*ked

EDIT: ok that was fast haha, apparently it applies to colleges in nyc also

Last edited by Giuseppe554; 05-24-2011 at 04:56 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #8
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
Good ain't sh*t positive to gain from smoking
 7 years ago '04        #9
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,097 | Props total: 4106 4106
Good. Chicago adopted this awhile ago. I could actually breathe outside
 7 years ago '07        #10
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6109 6109
yea the sh*t is fu*king stupid.

ny is a nanny state
 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM         #11
JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good. Don't need you fu*kfaces trying to k!ll me cause ya want to k!ll your selves.
 7 years ago '05        #12
OG T Gutta N|M 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,739 | Props total: 1823 1823
Lets not act like there is any logic, and valid backing of most smoking claims. Not defending smoking(even though I do), the "harms" have been EXTREMELY exaggerated, and legislation is passed based off poor studies, like most things anyways.

Perhaps one of the better studies was published in the British Medical Journal by epidemiologist James Enstrom and Geoffrey Kabat (2003). Their study of 35,000 Californians showed that lifelong exposure to a husband or wife’s smoke produced no increased risk of coronary heart disease or lung cancer among the non-smoking spouses. As with most who oppose the anti-tobacco lobby, Enstrom was forced to defend his study on the basis that it had received funding from a tobacco company. The study was condemned as biased, even though it was published in a peer-reviewed journal, the statistics were not flawed, and the conclusions were sound.

The press frequently overlooks inconsistent data when reporting about environmental tobacco smoke. The most recent example was when a group of radiologists noted that one-third of patients who had never smoked, but were exposed to “high levels” of second hand smoke, showed MRI changes in their lungs similar to the changes seen in smokers. What failed to make the mainstream news was that two-thirds of the patients who were listed as non-smokers, but exposed to “high levels” of second hand smoke, paradoxically, had lower diffusion through the lungs than the “low exposure” group. That is, they showed the opposite of changes seen with heavy smokers. Again, what made the news in most circles was that this was more proof about the negative effects of environmental tobacco smoke. What did not make the news was that the paradoxical report might prove the opposite of their conclusion. (Science Daily, 2007)
 7 years ago '06        #13
WillScrillz5000 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,666 | Props total: 552 552
i don't smoke (cigarettes) but I thought this was America??
 7 years ago '05        #14
bobbysteels18 663 heat pts663
space
space
space
$7,601 | Props total: 2504 2504
The point is the government is taking our rights away no matter if you smoke or don't this is just the first step the people in New York city should protest this Egypt style...
 7 years ago '07        #15
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,336 | Props total: 403 403
good!
 7 years ago '04        #16
Exs 151 heat pts151
space
space
$5,775 | Props total: 1291 1291
Big win for people who want to live longer
 7 years ago '09        #17
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,662 | Props total: 13143 13143
So it starts
 7 years ago '06        #18
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,854 | Props total: 944 944
i dont give a fu*k because i smoke trees in the cribbo... i quit cigs in 2008
 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM         #19
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
prison camps for all smokers next?

7 years ago '04        #20
Calamity 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,020 | Props total: 1829 1829
lmao fuk yall smokers you n*ggaz breath and clothes be k!llIN ME
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
167 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
90 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
227 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy