10 of the most memorable twist endings in movies

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #1
8590 pageviews
105 comments

Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389
space
space
$18,418 | Props total: 5 5
10 of the most memorable twist endings in movies

10 Memento

Since Memento starts at the end, would this be considered a twist beginning? The answer, obviously, is “No,” but regardless, this detective thriller sees amnesiac detective Guy Pearce searching for the person who k!lled his wife. The twist, as we eventually discover, is that Pearce himself is the one who did the deed.

9 f!ght Club

[pic - click to view]

As with many movies with twist endings, re-watching f!ght Club once you know the ending can be a rewarding experience. Of course, the massive twist in the film is that Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are actually the same person (with Pitt being a split personality of Norton). While the viewer has to look past a couple small details for this fact to make complete cinematic sense, the uniqueness and bigness of the twist is rewarding and impactful enough to earn it a spot on the list.

8 Rosemary’s Baby

Rosemary’s Baby is a thriller classic with one of the most memorable movie endings of all time. In the film, Rosemary slowly discovers the child growing in her stomach is actually the son of Satan. While this isn’t exactly a twist, the fact that the demon offspring eventually comes to term is. More over, while she was horrified about the idea throughout the film, one look into the demonic eyes of her own little man, and Rosemary surprises everybody by instantly coming over to the dark side courtesy of her motherly instincts.

7 Seven

[pic - click to view]

What’s in the box? This is yet another thriller that keeps the audience guessing until the very end. In the film, Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are one step behind a shadowy k!ller (who we eventually find out to be Kevin Spacey). In the end, we discover that Spacey has cleverly planned it so that he himself will be the final victim, to be k!lled by Brad Pitt. To ensure Pitt’s unwilling involvement in Spacey’s demented plan, Spacey informs him that he’s k!lled Pitt’s wife -– which sends Pitt into a fit of rage.

6 Psycho

[pic - click to view]

Psycho comes with a fairly early twist in that the main heroine in the film (Janet Leigh) gets murdered well before the film’s conclusion. However, the big twist is, of course, reserved for the end. While we are led to believe that the murderer is the mother of Norman Bates, we eventually discover that Bates himself has been dressing up in drag and doing the deeds himself. In fact, it is revealed that Mother Bates isn’t even alive, as Norman’s got her skeleton happily propped in a rocking chair in the basement.

5 The Prestige

[pic - click to view]

Christopher Nolan sure is a fan of twist endings… and there are actually a few in this one. Several times in the film, a twist within the cat-and-mouse game between Christian Bale’s character and Hugh Jackman’s character seems to give one or the other the upper hand. This all leads up to the revelation that Hugh Jackman is not actually dead. Rather, he’s been cloning and k!lling himself on a near nightly basis all for the sake of a magic trick. That would be enough to make a good twist ending, but the cherry on top reveals that Christian Bale’s character is actually a set of twins who have been living as one person for most of their adult lives.

4 Planet of the Apes

[pic - click to view]

Charlton Heston standing before the ruins of the Statue of Liberty is one of the most iconic and recognizable moments in film. Throughout the film, Heston is hellbent on getting off the Planet of the Apes so he can go home to planet Earth. Surprise, surprise –- as it turns out that is impossible because he’s actually been on Earth all along.

3 Soylent Green

[pic - click to view]

Even if you haven’t seen this movie, it is highly likely that you know the twist at the end. In the year 2022, the world is overpopulated and undernourished. Citizens survive by eating a government foodstuff by the name of Soylent. Where does this mysterious food come from? Well, as Charlton Heston eventually uncovers, IT’S PEOPLE!

2 The Usual Suspects

[pic - click to view]

This film’s ending was one of the greatest tricks a movie ever pulled. Throughout the film, gimpy Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey) recounts the events of a crime gone wrong to police investigator Chazz Palminteri. Only in the final moments does Chazz (and the rest of us) realize that unassuming Kint is none other than the enigmatic Keyser Soze himself.

1 The Sixth Sense

[pic - click to view]

When people think, “twist ending,” this is likely the first movie to come to mind. When the movie was released in 1999, The Sixth Sense blew the minds of everyone who saw it. At the time, director M. Night Shyalaman (a man known for his twist endings) was relatively unknown. This fact allowed the twist ending –- the fact that Bruce Willis’ character has been dead for most of the film — to sneak up on you. Not only is the twist surprising, but it also makes sense and adds a great deal to the meaning and message of the movie.

[pic - click to view]

Best twist endings in movies | Films with twist endings | Movie spoilers

105 comments for "10 of the most memorable twist endings in movies"

7 years ago '09        #2
Chalky 303 heat pts303
space
space
$27,371 | Props total: 17450 17450
The Mist had a good twist at the end and the 1st saw
 7 years ago '05        #3
meepos 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,551 | Props total: 26 26
 Nathan Copeland said:
give me the gist of the twist in the Mist cause i had to take a p!ss and was pissed that it was missed and its not on this list

Last edited by meepos; 05-20-2011 at 02:17 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #4
money36 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,691 | Props total: 128 128
The 1st saw should of made it somewhere on the list.
 7 years ago '11        #5
j3rz 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,969 | Props total: 834 834
no primal fear?

this list is fu*ked
 7 years ago '06        #6
droid3000 995 heat pts995
space
space
$26,417 | Props total: 26093 26093
 Nathan Copeland said:
the was was a terrible movie but you are right about the ending. I cant recall a bigger shock than that. I would give The Game with Michael Douglas a vote as well, i was like after all the shiit he went through and just have it end like that
 7 years ago '09        #7
xRapHeadx 17 heat pts17
space
space
$12,265 | Props total: 1369 1369
The Prestige ending was so dope.
 7 years ago '06        #8
Jhnnyblz427 174 heat pts174
space
space
$35,127 | Props total: 17954 17954
what about in teenage mutant ninja turtles secret of the ooze?? i know for a fact shedder didnt die

in the ending of the film.

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '09        #9
markee 30 heat pts30
space
space
$3,528 | Props total: 113 113
 xRapHeadx said:
The Prestige ending was so dope.
I agree with the above but
[pic - click to view]

should have been in there.
 7 years ago '05        #10
meepos 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,551 | Props total: 26 26
some of yall are confusing twists with "crazy wtf stuff".
 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM         #11
Haze_Reloaded 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The first saw was pretty good. Should of been on here.
 7 years ago '07        #12
D.R.E. 6 heat pts
space
space
$384 | Props total: 102 102
That part in the departed when leonardo dicaprio got shot in the head had me like
 05-20-2011, 04:15 PM         #13
ngoogs 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What this thread should really be about is how awesome of a movie f!ght Club is. Or how much The Prestige sucked.
 7 years ago '08        #14
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 meepos said:
give me the gist of the twist in the Mist cause i had to take a p!ss and was pissed that it was missed and its not on this list
 7 years ago '08        #15
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 Ghostface Wu said:
Oldboy had the most shocking twist ending, imo.
 markee said:
I agree with the above but
[pic - click to view]

should have been in there.
i forgot how this ended...
 7 years ago '10        #16
Gottagat 
space
space
$11,644 | Props total: 218 218
 meepos said:
The main dude k!lled his young son 2 old people and a bi*ch in the car cuz he didnt want the creatures in the mist 2 k!ll them.

he was gonna k!ll himself 2 but the gun was out of bullets so he was prepared 2 get fukked up by the mist

twist..it was the Army/national guard not the creatures that was in the mist. he k!lled everybody 4 nuthin they was gonna be saved

shyt was fukked up but after the shock i was like that shyt was grimy
 7 years ago '05        #17
Nasty Nate 21 heat pts21
space
space
$4,736 | Props total: 22 22
Arlington Road had a good twist ending
 7 years ago '09        #18
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,299 | Props total: 7939 7939
 Aleandrog said:
the was was a terrible movie but you are right about the ending. I cant recall a bigger shock than that. I would give The Game with Michael Douglas a vote as well, i was like after all the shiit he went through and just have it end like that
terrible, one of the best movies that year and great fukkin ending, had everyone shocked

but Seven takes the cake.......i thought it was gonna go good for brad pitt, guess i was wrong
 7 years ago '04        #19
ike! 4 heat pts
space
space
$822 | Props total: 100 100
 Gottagat said:
The main dude k!lled his young son 2 old people and a bi*ch in the car cuz he didnt want the creatures in the mist 2 k!ll them.

he was gonna k!ll himself 2 but the gun was out of bullets so he was prepared 2 get fukked up by the mist

twist..it was the Army/national guard not the creatures that was in the mist. he k!lled everybody 4 nuthin they was gonna be saved

shyt was fukked up but after the shock i was like that shyt was grimy
I don't think it was the army in the mist the entire time, but only that the Army had been experimenting and accidentally opened another dimension and the creatures came through. He k!lls his son and the other people in the car and gets out so he'll be k!lled by the creatures, only to find that the Army is clearing everything up.

If you look at the from a psychological standpoint, and don't see it as a "monster movie" it's actually pretty cool.

Side note, did you know that Stephen King has gone on record saying that he likes Darabont's ending better than ending in his on book.
 7 years ago '07        #20
Jeet Kune Do 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,067 | Props total: 1840 1840
My brother ruined 6th sense for me. Not even 5min after putting the dvd in he says
[spoiler - click to view]

I was like
Home      

most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago