most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
48 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which is the best
Android 134 69.79%
Apple 51 26.56%
Rim 7 3.65%
Voters: 192. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
14721 pageviews
303 comments

fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
space
$9,568 | Props total: 2714 2714
10 best Android features that the iPhone lacks

We didn't hold anything back in this list: rooting, jailbreaking, editing system files are all fair game. If there was some way to do it on the iPhone, we left it out. So, while there are a lot of great things about Android that don't come out of the box on the iPhone — like free turn-by-turn navigation or pull-down notifications — there are still ways to get those features on the iPhone. So here's our list of the 10 features you just can't get, no way, no how, on a jailbroken or non-jailbroken device.

10. Alternate keyboards
From text predictors like Swiftkey to the innovative like Swype and the downright adventurous like 8pen, you have a lot of different keyboard choices on Android. Typing on a tiny phone keyboard isn't anyone's idea of fun, so it's great that Android provides so many options to make it as painless for people as possible, and super easy to install. The iPhone has other keyboards, but they're usually separate apps that require you to import text to another program — it's just the kind of system-level functionality that's hard to get around.

9. Automation

One of the most powerful, useful Android apps around is Tasker, the automation program that lets you turn your phone into a superphone . You can turn settings on and off for certain applications, by location, time of day and pretty much any other condition you can think of. With the right commands in place, Tasker can access the deepest and darkest settings on your phone, which is something you just can't do on other platforms. Be sure to also check out our second list of Tasker setups, three handy Tasker profiles from our readers and how to roll your own "Find my iPhone" for Android. Similar apps like the battery-saving JuiceDefender would also fall into this category.

8. Custom home launchers
While iPhone users can customize their home screen quite a bit if they've jailbroken, they don't allow the kind of customization that you can get on Android with custom home launchers. Third party launchers can add all sorts of extra features to the home screens of your device, like gestures, different kinds of shortcuts and even low-level settings that can help speed up an older phone. Whether you're using the super-fast LauncherPro or the insanely customizable ADWLauncher, third-party launchers add a ton of configuration to your device.

7. Widgets
Sure, they take up a bit of space, but there's no substitute for the convenience of having a big weather widget right on your home screen, or a music widget to show you the currently playing track. Even more useful are the to-do list widgets that take an "in your face" approach to productivity, which is not only effective but necessary from people, as they don't require you to actually look for your to-do list—they're always reminding you of what you need to do. If you've jailbroken, you can get widget-like apps for the iPhone, but you can only put them on your lock screen — not the actual home screens that you're always swiping through.

6. Removable storage and battery
It isn't part of the Android software, necessarily, but Android's open nature allows for quite a few hardware advantages, too — namely the ability to take out, swap, and upgrade your battery and SD card. If you find that you've maxed out the storage on your iPhone, you're pretty much out of luck, whereas with an Android phone you can pop in a new SD card and have gigabytes more storage to play with. Similarly, you can swap out a spare battery for longer trips or even get an extended battery that'll help your phone go longer without charging.

5. Wireless app installation
Browsing for and discovering new apps should be fun, not challenge you to make it through a tiny app store with your sanity intact. The App Store and Cydia App Store aren't exactly fun to browse on your phone, but you either have to download apps on your phone or plug it into iTunes to sync them all over.

With the new Android Market, or with third-party sites like AppBrain, you can find a cool app, hit the install button, and it'll be on your phone the next time you pick it up. It doesn't get much more convenient than that.

4. Custom ROMs
While there are a lot of third-party apps that give you advanced features on Android, one of the coolest parts about the entire OS being open source is that people can take it, tweak it all over and install their version instead of the one that comes with your phone. Whether it's the feature-filled CyanogenMod or the interface-overhauling MIUI ROM, there's little limit to how much you can tweak your Android experience. As with launchers, these give you a lot of system-level tweaks that you just wouldn't be able to get this easily on other platforms — and it puts them easily within users' reach. Whether it's tweaks that speed up your phone or features such as FM radio, custom ROMs are without a doubt one of the biggest advantages to Android's openness around.

3. Controlling your phone from your computer
This one's a little more out there, but we've featured quite a few apps that let you actually control your Android phone from your PC — whether you just want to send texts from Chrome or access any of its other functions right from a web browser. Yes, you can VNC into your iPhone, but it's not the same as using a separate app that accesses its baser functions.

2. Flash
Say what you want about Flash, but it's everywhere you go, and when you're forced to view the web without it, you realize how much you actually rely on it day-to-day. Whether its accessing fully Flash web sites, watching Flash videos, or playing games like the ones on Kongregate, having Flash installed on your phone and tablet let you access a lot of things you otherwise couldn't have. We may grimace when we hear its name, but it's too prevalent to go without. It just feels like you don't have the whole web at your fingertips.

1. True app integration
Google Voice may finally be available for the iPhone, but the experience will never be the same as it is on Android. Other iPhone apps always direct you to the default dialer and visual voicemail apps, so even if you want to use Google Voice full time, you have to manually navigate it to yourself. On Android, apps such as Google Voice integrate directly with the operating system — if you want to make calls with Google Voice, every call you make from the phone's dialer goes through Google Voice.

When you click on a phone number in your browser or in Google Maps, it goes through Google Voice instead of sending you to the wrong dialer. True app integration like this makes using custom phone, SMS, voicemail, and even browser apps absolutely seamless on Android, which is something you won't find on the more locked-down iPhone platform.

We do love the iPhone here at Lifehacker, but we also love tweaking and hacking our phones into oblivion, and Android just does it better than any other platform. These are just a few of the many tweaks you can make to an Android phone, but they're certainly some of the most special. Got any of your own favorites that weren't featured? Be sure to share them.

[pic - click to view]

Gadgetbox - 10 best Android features that the iPhone lacks

[pic - click to view]

Android >>> ios all day

UPDATE:

[pic - click to view]

Did Apple Really “Steal” Their iPhone Design From Samsung? [Pot, Meet Kettle]

[pic - click to view]

so this was what they meant by innovation image

Last edited by fat_boyy21; 05-23-2011 at 09:23 PM..

303 comments for "10 best Android features that the iPhone lacks"

7 years ago '07        #2
RedMonkeyJunkie 11 heat pts11
space
space
$4,999 | Props total: 1374 1374
Does it really bother you that much what phone the person next to you is using. Maybe Andriod should work on smaller things like getting a Netflix app to work on more than just a handful of phones.
 7 years ago '10        #3
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
flash and widgets is what i want on my iphone.
 7 years ago '04        #4
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323 OP
space
space
 RedMonkeyJunkie said:
Does it really bother you that much what phone the person next to you is using. Maybe Andriod should work on smaller things like getting a Netflix app to work on more than just a handful of phones.
check my posts, I've never once said the iphone is a bad phone. i think it's a great product BUT I think there are better phones available
 7 years ago '05        #5
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
$45,927 | Props total: 10789 10789
Oh God here goes the android fans again with their annoying fanboy d!ckriding. Just buy a damn phone and be fu*kin happy with it. It's always android fans always trying to prove to people how their phone is better than yours. Who gives a fu*k!! Just be happy with what you got. Yeah I used to argue with people but at the end of the day that sh*t is stupid and a waste of time.
 7 years ago '05        #6
.Hafestos. 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,397 | Props total: 0 0
 RedMonkeyJunkie said:
and maybe apple should work on little things like widgets, flash, etc

but this article is truth, iSheep are pissed cause they cant even make a list of 10 features that aren't on android

7 years ago '04        #7
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,560 | Props total: 2413 2413
 Sivraj said:
Oh God here goes the android fans again with their annoying fanboy d!ckriding. Just buy a damn phone and be fu*kin happy with it. It's always android fans always trying to prove to people how their phone is better than yours. Who gives a fu*k!! Just be happy with what you got. Yeah I used to argue with people but at the end of the day that sh*t is stupid and a waste of time.
I agree with this & I have android.
 7 years ago '04        #8
space
space
 Sivraj said:
you mad

[pic - click to view]

:laughing19: :laughing19: :laughing19:
 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM         #9
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is the kind of childish behavior that makes people hate Android users. Period. Most iOS users here have pretty much said that they would switch to Android or have recognized Android as having a great OS and

you
still
keep
being
f*ggots about it.

Personally, I'll never give Android props on Boxden anymore because you dweebs take it as if I'm personally conceding to you. You act as if you have spent hours developing and writing code specifically for Google. Android isn't all Roses and Chamomile, go check XDA and see what they have to say about the I/O version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or the Xoom

I don't understand why you act as if iOS came along like Windows Phone and deliberately restricted and underspeced their phones. Android wouldn't exist if Apple didn't create the iPhone, period. I don't understand why we can't work together to create a knowledge base among consumer electronics users to make informed decisions on products instead of having these f*ggoty fanboy wars about what is better.

They're caking off of us, period. Why are we flying a flag for someone who doesn't give a sh*t about who we are unless we have money in hand?

And I swear if I see that obese robot one more time I'm going to lose it.
 7 years ago '05        #10
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
 fat_boyy21 said:
you mad

[pic - click to view]

Not mad at all just being real. I used to think that iphone fanboys were bad, but the android trolls took the cake.
 7 years ago '04        #11
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,888 | Props total: 2000 2000
 Sivraj said:
Not mad at all just being real. I used to think that iphone fanboys were bad, but the android trolls took the cake.
Both are equally bad. It's like PS3 vs 360 in the game section. Both have their own morons.
 7 years ago '04        #12
space
space
 Sivraj said:
Im just messing around, dont be like dangerously over there and take this seriously.

I guess i am an android fanboy but a year ago i would've said apple>> android. I think android has surpassed apple, and the article i posted helps prove that. also non android users may not know what android has to offer that you cant get on the iphone or blackberry. so i am in a way helping people get proper info on what's available
 7 years ago '05        #13
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
 fat_boyy21 said:
Im just messing around, dont be like dangerously over there and take this seriously.

I guess i am an android fanboy but a year ago i would've said apple>> android. I think android has surpassed apple, and the article i posted helps prove that. also non android users may not know what android has to offer that you cant get on the iphone or blackberry. so i am in a way helping people get proper info on what's available
Well that's fine and cool. I'm a nokia fan and I respect the stuff that android can do. I do like the browser and flash support. But hey the new symbians can do that as well..I do like the droid pro from MOTO but I'm not going back to CDMA.
 05-19-2011, 05:58 PM         #14
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:

Yeah you're being real helpful calling them iSheep.
 7 years ago '04        #15
space
space
 Sivraj said:
Well that's fine and cool. I'm a nokia fan and I respect the stuff that android can do. I do like the browser and flash support. But hey the new symbians can do that as well..I do like the droid pro from MOTO but I'm not going back to CDMA.
I'm with you on staying gsm. and i cant wait to see what nokia does with the windows os on their phones. all of this competition is gonna make some really good products turn up
 7 years ago '04        #16
space
space
 Dangerously said:
Yeah you're being real helpful calling them iSheep.
I admit sometimes i talk sh*t, but im just messing around. and the article i posted does state facts, it's not opinionated
 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM         #17
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
I admit sometimes i talk sh*t, but im just messing around. and the article i posted does state facts, it's not opinionated
But it's nothing new I think everyone reading this article already knows that iOS is handicapped in these areas. You're basically just styling on iOS users when we've already said that Android is the more capable OS. Let's get past this and talk about App development for Honeycomb so I don't buy $600 paperweight next month.
 7 years ago '05        #18
daliff89 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,412 | Props total: 45 45
i like the iOS rationalization

'we know Android is better, but so what?'
 7 years ago '04        #19
space
space
 Dangerously said:
But it's nothing new I think everyone reading this article already knows that iOS is handicapped in these areas. You're basically just styling on iOS users when we've already said that Android is the more capable OS. Let's get past this and talk about App development for Honeycomb so I don't buy $600 paperweight next month.
the app development for android tablets wont take off till the end of the year when the new os comes out. currently a developer has to code their app twice, once for gingerbread and once for honeycomb. that's why there isnt a lot of development for tablets. when next os comes out, called ice cream, developers will only have to code once, and the app will work on both phones and tablets. my advice would be to wait if you can
 7 years ago '04        #20
finishim 80 heat pts80
space
space
$21,769 | Props total: 1 1
funny thing is a lot of iPhone users could care less about half this stuff
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
82 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
239 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
28 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
300 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
135 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
That 8mile soundtrack had some classic jams for real
36 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
92 comments
19 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
113 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy