Derrick Rose stays connected to tough Englewood neighborhood

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
67 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne Tha god & Joe Budden Working On A New Show.
117 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
101 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #21
Kush Charasi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$5,134 | Props total: 120 120
Badass read. Article should of been published when he got drafted. Not after winning tha MVP. fu*k artest and other ballers shouting Queens Bridge and their hoods like they all hood now.

Facts don't lie. And witnesses haven't died. Rose came out one of tha grimiest hoods in tha Chi, check the US Census rate of education, unemployment, and crime from when Rose grew up to now in Englewood. sh*tz real.

Plus he's a GD, he's a celebrity and he goes back 2 his own hood alone, bx slumz n*ggaz can't go 2 ANY hood, let alone even having no money 2 give up.

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 122 (+9) 
  Career: | Aug 10: 8-3, Rank #235 | Aug 08: 5-3, Rank #515 *
 7 years ago '04        #22
yo0123yo 148 heat pts148 OP
space
space
space
$3,681 | Props total: 251 251
 vshah24 said:
Badass read. Article should of been published when he got drafted. Not after winning tha MVP. fu*k artest and other ballers shouting Queens Bridge and their hoods like they all hood now.

Facts don't lie. And witnesses haven't died. Rose came out one of tha grimiest hoods in tha Chi, check the US Census rate of education, unemployment, and crime from when Rose grew up to now in Englewood. sh*tz real.

Plus he's a GD, he's a celebrity and he goes back 2 his own hood alone, bx slumz n*ggaz can't go 2 ANY hood, let alone even having no money 2 give up.
rose is real people hating on his speech...maybe its because he grew up in a rough a.ss neighborhood and his speech definitely does not affect his NBA skills..i 100% see rose retiring here in the chi...only id d wade woulda stuck to his home town too..ahhh well
 7 years ago '04        #23
space
space
space
 majestic75 said:
Neither of us has ever met Rose in his life. Allwe have to go on is:

a. His horrible grammar and inablity to properly articulate himself.
b. his cheating in high school and on his SATs to meet the requirements for college.

[pic - click to view]

sounds like you either mad or hating on Rose real hard...is your team eliminated? swept? didnt make the playoffs?
 7 years ago '04        #24
jplaydadon 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,915 | Props total: 634 634
 VCMJ1523 said:
Look up any video on YouTube of Derrick rose speaking. He struggles to speak because His vocabulary isn't vast enough.
vast enough for what? can you not understand derrick rose? can his people who live and hang around him understand him? thats all that matters. just cause someone doesnt speak bullsh*t standard english doesnt make them dumb or illiterate. ppl just use language as another way of reproducing cultural power structures that diss the way other people speak despite their jargon being specific to their needs. yall need to hop off rose sh*t. if he had an academic upbringing im sure hed do just as well in school as a lotta cats.
 7 years ago '04        #25
space
space
space
 jplaydadon said:
vast enough for what? can you not understand derrick rose? can his people who live and hang around him understand him? thats all that matters. just cause someone doesnt speak bullsh*t standard english doesnt make them dumb or illiterate. ppl just use language as another way of reproducing cultural power structures that diss the way other people speak despite their jargon being specific to their needs. yall need to hop off rose sh*t. if he had an academic upbringing im sure hed do just as well in school as a lotta cats.
:agreement6:
 7 years ago '04        #26
Kush Charasi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$5,134 | Props total: 120 120
 J.R. Hyphy said:
I understand showing solidarity with D.Rose, but are Chicago folk really glorifying that gang sh*t ?
We're not glorifying that Rose is affiliated with infamous Chicago brethren Larry Hoover's gang. We're glorifying the fact that gangs are giving young kids a pass in the neighborhood park 2 hoop anytime they want, cuz of what D-Rose--from the same block-- has accomplished and influenced. We're glorifying that Rose wants 2 build an academy after his mother in Englewood some day. I'll end it here. Finally, we're glorifying the fact that Rose is getting Powerade and the Chicago Park District to pay to remodel the playground courts in memories of Rose with murals and signs to young children to chase their dreams. We're glorifying the fact that the gang bangers are gonna keep the murals and the park clean cuz of the influence of DERRICK ROSE.

Read the article, not b/w the lines so u don't look dumb.

1 - 0 STRK: 1 w in a row WIN PCT: 100% 122 (+9) 
  Career: | Aug 10: 8-3, Rank #235 | Aug 08: 5-3, Rank #515 *
 05-14-2011, 05:56 PM         #27
dfynest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hometown chi....i need to go visit this summer....hood n*ggas play ball...yea dat
 7 years ago '05        #28
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,735 | Props total: 12560 12560
Rockwell with the best post in this thread.. I say it all the time, that I admire Rose because of his work ethic, staying humble and the man he turned into coming from where he came.. Outsiders just have no idea how rough that area is. 6 Police Officers were murdered last summer alone in that area, it got so rough that the mayor was considering bringing in the National Guard. Look it up.

I mean people on BX just don't seem to "get it".. Maybe because people are so use to hiding behind the comfort of their computer monitors in suburbia and haven't really seen or dealt with an area that rough before.. Rose is blessed, and one of the few good stories to come out of that area.. n*ggas need to look up Ben Wilson who also went Simeon, and was the #1 rated H.S talent in America, and see what happened to him.. This is why Rose is so damn embraced by this city..

And I wouldn't be surprised when Roses career is over he will go down as the most beloved player in Chicago, ahead of Jordan.. He's already #2 on that list right now.
 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM         #29
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hold That said:
based on what proof can Derrick Rose barely read? Because people on BX said it over and over and now you believe it to be fact? You've never met Rose in your life, you've never met anyone who've known Rose in your life, yet somehow you are typing as if you know everything in anything about him non-basketball related..
Hold That, honest question:

Do you believe that, after failing the ACT three times in Chiacgo, Rose traveled to Detroit and took those SATS himself?
 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM         #30
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hold That said:

And I wouldn't be surprised when Roses career is over he will go down as the most beloved player in Chicago, ahead of Jordan..

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #31
space
space
space
 Hamburgers said:
is you delusional bulls fans seriously appointing this man as your savior? this guy is trash. overrated.

32 shots to get 34 points? is you serious?

he's a modern day allen iverson and how many rings did he win?

[pic - click to view]

lol hes in his 3rd year already staring at a ring basically and hasnt even hit his peak yet so calm down buddy give him some time
 7 years ago '05        #32
Da Real Talk 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,992 | Props total: 3 3
Had To Put Both These Hating fu*ks On The Ignore List Smh
 7 years ago '04        #33
space
space
space
 Slickems said:

Do you believe that, after failing the ACT three times in Chiacgo, Rose traveled to Detroit and took those SATS himself?
i dont believe it but who cares if hes well educated or not? whats education matter in the NBA?
 7 years ago '05        #34
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,735 | Props total: 12560 12560
 Slickems said:

No I don't believe it, but are you sitting there saying you haven't known someone to fail an SAT multiple times even though they were smart and just aren't good test takers?

I know a lot of you are young, but at least use some shred of common sense. Not everyone is good at taking test, that don't mean he's dumb or can't read.. And honestly, failing could mean he didn't pass the math portion or other portions.. I'm not sure where people automatically a.ssume that if you fail that SAT that means you failed the reading portion.
 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM         #35
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 yo0123yo said:
i dont believe it but who cares if hes well educated or not? whats education matter in the NBA?
Because it makes him a cheater.

Hold That tries to justify his crush on Rose by saying "I just respect that he's coming from such a neighborhood and making something out of himself" -- but he cheated to do it. There's nothing admirable about that.

Plus, the chain of events it set off allowed him to essentially embezzle a scholarship from U of M that could have gone to a non-cheater, and it ended up costing his college teammates (how many of whom went on to the NBA) the pinnacle of their basketball career. But fu*k them, right? College was just a stop-over for Rose on the way to getting his NBA money, and fu*k anyone else who might have gotten burned along the way.

That's what it matters.
 7 years ago '04        #36
space
space
space
 Hamburgers said:
staring at what ring? the one that'll be on lebron's finger by the end of the year?
no the one that the league's youngest mvp and first year coach of the year will have
 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM         #37
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hold That said:
No I don't believe it, but are you sitting there saying you haven't known someone to fail an SAT multiple times even though they were smart and just aren't good test takers?

I know a lot of you are young, but at least use some shred of common sense.
No, I do not know anyone, however bad at test-taking, that had someone else set-up a stunt-double to take the test for them.

And I don't know anyone who then used those forged-scores to secure a thousands and thousands of dollars of educational scholarships from a major university.

And seriously? You think he's "smart," but just not a good test-taker?
 7 years ago '04        #38
space
space
space
 Slickems said:
Because it makes him a cheater.

Hold That tries to justify his crush on Rose by saying "I just respect that he's coming from such a neighborhood and making something out of himself" -- but he cheated to do it. There's nothing admirable about that.

Plus, the chain of events it set off allowed him to essentially embezzle a scholarship from U of M that could have gone to a non-cheater, and it ended up costing his college teammates (how many of whom went on to the NBA) the pinnacle of their basketball career. But fu*k them, right? College was just a stop-over for Rose on the way to getting his NBA money, and fu*k anyone else who might have gotten burned along the way.

That's what it matters.
he cheated on tests in school.....big deal ive cheated on plenty tests in school and believe me, if my DREAM was to play in the nba and i failed the test multiple times you best believe im gonna do whatever it takes to pass the test to reach my life dream...and rose made it and at least hes helpingout his neighborhood its not like he got all this NBA money and got so c*cky all the sudden and started being the leagues biggest as*hole, if anything hes the most liked player in the nba, its ridiculous how calm and humble dude is he definitely deserves what hes got
 7 years ago '04        #39
T-Styles 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,182 | Props total: 0 0
^ because you never played division one ball as one of the top recruits in the country...You swear like the colleges, coaches and institution of college sports as a whole are just as much responsible for what happened.

VCMJ1523 said:
Look up any video on YouTube of Derrick rose speaking. He struggles to speak because His vocabulary isn't vast enough.
or it could mean that he gets nervous speaking in public. Or hes just not that articulate...not everyone has Obama's gift for speeches.
 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM         #40
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 yo0123yo said:
he cheated on tests in school.....big deal ive cheated on plenty tests in school and believe me, if my DREAM was to play in the nba and i failed the test multiple times you best believe im gonna do whatever it takes to pass the test to reach my life dream...and rose made it and at least hes helpingout his neighborhood its not like he got all this NBA money and got so c*cky all the sudden and started being the leagues biggest as*hole, if anything hes the most liked player in the nba, its ridiculous how calm and humble dude is he definitely deserves what hes got
ok. that's your opinion.

but i guess when i think of "deserving" I think of someone who worked hard to get what they have, not cheated to get there. What did he do to "deserve" it? Practice playing ball? That was the easy part for him: he had all the natural talents to do it, and playing ball is fun.

Maybe I thought he would have "deserved it" if he ALSO took the time to do the parts of chasing that dream that AREN'T fun -- like studying for the SATs.

But that's just my opinion
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
147 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
225 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
72 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
108 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
63 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
16 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy