Does Jay Z Have A Classic Meaningful Single?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
81 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy – American Dream (ft. Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole)
105 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
194 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
31 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #81
HKR 
space
space
space
$297 | Props total: 0 0
song cry
 7 years ago '10        #82
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,887 | Props total: 21081 21081
What I wanna know is why does it matter if he doesnt have a single that's classic or meaningful?

Yes he's lacking but who cares? He makes good music, has put out classic songs so what's the big deal?

I actually thought this was known by now because that isn't his lane

Edit: You shooting down a lot of songs people are posting.....:hmm:

Hard Knock Life isn't a classic?
 7 years ago '06        #83
HKR 
space
space
space
$297 | Props total: 0 0
what album is anything on
 7 years ago '10        #84
space
space
 HKR said:
what album is anything on
The Truth - Beanie Sigel
 7 years ago '04        #85
Young_City414 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 16 16
"This Cant Be Life" is better than a lot of those songs mentioned
 7 years ago '07        #86
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,840 | Props total: 4819 4819
 deadwrong03 said:

2 of these are classics one is just a ok song....ill let u figure it out

7 years ago '07        #87
champ1176 
space
space
space
$46 | Props total: 0 0
TS is a scrub, watchin what every1 posts, any song you put up he will try to shoot down, I believe they call that BIAS, yes thats it
 7 years ago '09        #88
TERRANCE CRACK 48 heat pts48
space
space
$8,193 | Props total: 51 51
who the fu*k cares about a meaningful SINGLE... the n*gga makes classic meaingful material on a album basis so now n*ggas complaning about singles?? wow
 7 years ago '07        #89
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,040 | Props total: 1023 1023
 deadwrong03 said:
Snoop doesnt have meaningful singles your right this isnt about snoop tho...Dead Presidents is NOT a meaningful song why are u guys mentioning the song? whats the meaning what is the song about please break down the meaning? Shed So Many Tears is a meaningful song....Dear Mamma is a Meaningful song...even Eminem's Cleaning out my closet is a meaningful song....Dead Presidents does NOT fit in. Hard Knock life really isnt a classic the sample made that song its a classic jay z single but it doesnt rank up there with the songs i mentioned in my first post. Empire State Of mind isnt really a meaningful track either its more like a anthem song than a meaningful song it doesnt compare ...

heres another example of a meaningful classic song that was pretty big...

Well I brought up Snoop because in your initial post you said "all the legends have meaningful singles". What is it about Dead Presidents that makes it not meaningful? Or better yet what is your definition of meaningful? And you posted Just to Get By so i can make the same argument that it doesn't rank up there with the other songs you mentioned and its a classic Talib song (plus Just to Get By is more of an anthem too). Not saying its not a Hip Hop classic but it doesn't have that long term impact on the chart. If Hard Knock Life doesn't count because of the sample then Emenim's Sing For The Moment and Like Toy Soilder doesn't count either. Like Toy Soilders doesn't rank up there with the other songs either. If you can post Like Toy Soilders then other posters should be able to post Anything, Minority Report, You Must Love Me, Not Guilty ect. Empire State of Mind and Hard Knock Life are classic, huge, and meaningful no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by A-L-P; 04-30-2011 at 12:48 PM..
 7 years ago '09        #90
TERRANCE CRACK 48 heat pts48
space
space
$8,193 | Props total: 51 51
also if this is a dope a.ss conceptual single i dont know what is

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #91
deadwrong03 89 heat pts89 OP
space
space
space
$4,543 | Props total: 532 532
 A-L-P said:
Well I brought up Snoop because initial post you said "all the legends have meaningful singles". What is it about Dead Presidents that makes it not meaningful? Or better yet what is your definition of meaningful? And you posted Just to Get By so i can make the same argument that it doesn't rank up there with the other songs you mentioned and its a classic Talib song (plus Just to Get By is more of an anthem too). Not saying its not a Hip Hop classic but it doesn't have that long term impact on the chart. If Hard Knock Life doesn't count because of the sample then Emenim's Sing For The Moment doesn't count either. Empire State of Mind and Hard Knock Life are classic, huge, and meaningful no matter how you look at it.
when i mentioned kweli's song and commons i was giving examples of meaningful songs i said those werent as big as the ones i mentioned i just used those as examples because u guys keep saying 99 problems and dirt off your shoulders those dont fit anywhere in the equation. and snoop i wouldnt consider him a well rounded mc like pac big nas or eminem for that matter. hes a legend no doubt but hes lacking much like jay that doesnt take away from his legendary status but their lacking in areas...nobodys perfect
 7 years ago '07        #92
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 deadwrong03 said:
when i mentioned kweli's song and commons i was giving examples of meaningful songs i said those werent as big as the ones i mentioned i just used those as examples because u guys keep saying 99 problems and dirt off your shoulders those dont fit anywhere in the equation. and snoop i wouldnt consider him a well rounded mc like pac big nas or eminem for that matter. hes a legend no doubt but hes lacking much like jay that doesnt take away from his legendary status but their lacking in areas...nobodys perfect
Yeah noone is perfect because all the MC's that you favor are also lacking in areas. But if noone is perfect why target Jay?

Btw i think people are posting 99 Problems because its a track that showcases his story telling ability and its suppose to be based off of something that actually happened to him and its kind of about police harrasment (its an up beat introspective story telling track). Dirt Off Your Shoulder aint meaningful but its just a different sounding single. Jay is actually pretty well rounded if you listen to his albums.

But to clarify your question, do you mean that Jay Z doesn't have any meaningful singles or do you mean he doesn't have any meaningful commercial smash hits (classic status)?

Last edited by A-L-P; 04-30-2011 at 01:26 PM..
 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM         #93
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 deadwrong03 said:

2 of these are classics one is just a ok song....ill let u figure it out

Shed So Many Tears was just an okay song
 7 years ago '10        #94
420Heat 8 heat pts
space
space
$8,801 | Props total: 5237 5237
dumbasses just posting a bunch of jay z songs not even knowing ts said SINGLES
 7 years ago '07        #95
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 Bronx Goes Hard said:
Shed So Many Tears was just an okay song
I see where you coming from with that statement. Shed So Many Tears is a classic now but it wasn't as big as a single at the time as Temptations and Dear Mama. Shed So Many Tears was just a hot song at the time. It was like a B-Side similar to the title song Me Against the World. But the way you worded it is gonna be used against you lol. They might say your opinion is void since you down played a Tupac single lol. Its just gonna derail the discussion even more lol.
 7 years ago '10        #96
space
space
 A-L-P said:
Yeah noone is perfect because all the MC's that you favor are also lacking in areas. But if noone is perfect why target Jay?

Btw i think people are posting 99 Problems because its a track that showcases his story telling ability and its suppose to be based off of something that actually happened to him and its kind of about police harrasment (its an up beat introspective story telling track). Dirt Off Your Shoulder aint meaningful but its just a different sounding single. Jay is actually pretty well rounded if you listen to his albums.

But to clarify your question, do you mean that Jay Z doesn't have any meaningful songs or do you mean he doesn't have any meaningful commercial smash hits (classic status)?
I think he means singles that have deep impact hip-hop wise. Like with Juicy & Dear Mama they're meaningful & hits you deep. You don't have to explain any of the lyrics to know that it's a classic period. I'm guessing that's what the t/s was trying to go after......only problem is that isn't jay's lane, was never his lane and that's that. Was no point to make this thread imo.

I mean we're taking about singles. Not songs, not albums, but singles...I'm still amazed he said Lose Yourself is a classic meaningful single but jay has none.

That's astonishing.
 04-30-2011, 01:28 PM         #97
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To me it is "You Must Love Me "

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #98
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,099 | Props total: 4110 4110
 Fen said:
unsure of what you mean by "meaningful", if we talking about a song with a central meaning, everysong can have a meaning, like "success ft nas", its meaningful as it depicts success in a different light and how his sick of it but then better than not having nothing

but if you talking about "depressing as, joe budden type meaningful songs", theres also a handful

this cant be life, where have you been, song cry, renegade (there is meaning there), meet the parents, december 4th (pretty meaningful to me, its practically his whole upbringing). bleach chair?, lost ones, you must love me, lucky me,

but if you talking about things that will uplift other people and talking bout the world and society and such

i can only think of "minority report" with neyo
Only Song Cry that I know of was a single from that list. Forever Young is one, but I think the TS' point is that Jay doesn't make songs for others.
 7 years ago '08        #99
GrownmanJ 21 heat pts21
space
space
$4,888 | Props total: 3 3
Yall forgot about this single from pac...

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #100
deadwrong03 89 heat pts89 OP
space
space
space
$4,543 | Props total: 532 532
 yeugkk said:
lol interesting

the biggest one i can think of is dirt off ur shoulder

then more contemporary ones like on to the next one

he has nothing that really showcases classic jayism lol
but why is everybody mentioning dirt off ur shoulder tho
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
71 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
197 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
84 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
23 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
19 comments
22 hours ago