Does Jay Z Have A Classic Meaningful Single?

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
101 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #41
deadwrong03 89 heat pts89 OP
space
space
space
$4,544 | Props total: 535 535
 BrodyMACaroni said:
this

and that

yall obviously just hatin

im gone
i never said Why was better than any jay z song...i mentioned jadakiss because hes a lower ranked mc than Jay Z in my eyes but Why was a huge single for him and classic for him...and it had meaning whats so hard to understand about that??? jay doesnt do this well Song Cry isnt one of his biggest singles and doesnt rank with the ones mentioned earlier in the thread
 7 years ago '05        #42
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,884 | Props total: 8408 8408
 deadwrong03 said:
Meaningful can be a song poetical song like Shed So Many Tears, or a song with a message like Nas Black Girl Lost (not a single tho) ....nas, talib kweli, common, and 2pac are examples of mcs that make songs like this....meaningful can also be a creative way of making a song or telling a story...even tho these songs arent singles a song like Nas Rewind, or Eminem's Kim.. or like Biggies approach to rapping a story and then telling the story in his words on I Gotta Story To Tell ...

Jay aint built for meaningful music as his singles he follows the formula of club singles hes scared to take risks in his 20 year career
how you going to talk about him making meaningful singles and give a bunch of examples of songs that WEREN'T singles? makes no sense.
 7 years ago '04        #43
space
space
space
 StateProperty88 said:
how you going to talk about him making meaningful singles and give a bunch of examples of songs that WEREN'T singles? makes no sense.
are u retarded? wtf? i clearly said those songs werent singles those were examples of SONGS that take a different approach than your traditional song that could be defined as a meaningful song.

i was giving my definition of a meaningful song ..... Can u read?
 04-30-2011, 12:39 AM         #44
yeugkk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol interesting

the biggest one i can think of is dirt off ur shoulder

then more contemporary ones like on to the next one

he has nothing that really showcases classic jayism lol
 04-30-2011, 12:41 AM         #45
yeugkk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 pkilla111 said:
when i was younger i never understood how jay was so big. he look like the most generic plain artist of all time. nothing stands out about him. he just exists. but as i got older i started 2 understand him and his flow and wordplay cause i used to say nas>jay. but real hip hop heads know
^exactly this too

jayz role is necessary slime, hip hop need an uncle tom
 04-30-2011, 12:42 AM         #46
CIDF 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
jay-z always had money he was a coke hustler in the 80s so its not like he was ever eminems age in a basement broke.. different stories to tell. jay done had all kinds of meaningful singles, so wtf you talkin bout
 7 years ago '05        #47
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,884 | Props total: 8408 8408
 deadwrong03 said:
are u retarded? wtf? i clearly said those songs werent singles those were examples of SONGS that take a different approach than your traditional song that could be defined as a meaningful song.

i was giving my definition of a meaningful song ..... Can u read?
all im saying is clean up your argument. dont sh*t on jay for not making meaningful singles and act like naming songs that werent singles remotely helps what your saying. stay consistent, if you talking singles...talk singles
 7 years ago '09        #48
RaIVIpAG3x 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,363 | Props total: 2729 2729
This thread is ridiculous , Jay-z doesn't have a Meaningful single ?

n*gga what the fu*k is Dead Presidents, Cant Knock the Hustle, In My Lifetime, and even tho it was an unreleased track Cant get with that, those are "meaningful"/story tellin songs. Ya n*ggas is pathetic Hating on Jay like that.
 7 years ago '10        #49
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
I don't understand what you're after.

If you looking for a single where he's speaking on real sh*t, see Lost Ones.

If you looking for a single where he's storytelling, see Song Cry and Dead Presidents.

The thread makes no sense because you malign him without any regard for his work beyond singles and the fact that his singles have been of consistent quality.

Yet you bring up someone like Em but completely disregard the fact that he's given us some of the worst pop-ridden singles to date. You can't just take the good and ignore the bad.

The Jay-Z hate on bx is beyond comprehension at times...

Last edited by trex; 04-30-2011 at 01:47 AM..
 7 years ago '04        #50
space
space
space
 trex said:
I don't understand what you're after.

If you looking for a single where he's speaking on real sh*t, see Lost Ones.

If you looking for a single where he's storytelling, see Song Cry and Dead Presidents.

The thread makes no sense because you malign him without any regard for his work beyond singles and the fact that his singles have been of consistent quality.

Yet you bring up someone like Em but completely disregard the fact that he's given us some of the worst pop-ridden singles to date. You can't just take the good and ignore the bad.

The Jay-Z hate on bx is beyond comprehension at times...
i didnt bring up anybodys bad singles jay has bad singles (sunshine) nas has bad singles (i can) this thread isnt about bad singles or worst singles its about classic meaningful hip hop singles that were popular when they dropped , and the whole point of this thread is jay z is weak in that area when hes 20 years deep in the game thats the whole point of this thread and its very much a valid point and FACT he doesnt have that many its fact
 7 years ago '04        #51
space
space
space
 Imagin3 said:
How was this thread continued after this post?
/thread.
the majority of those songs werent fu*kin singles....and the singles tthat were on there werent big classic singles like the songs i listed
 7 years ago '08        #52
Imagin3 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,123 | Props total: 2682 2682
 deadwrong03 said:
the majority of those songs werent fu*kin singles
Four singles—"Dead Presidents", "Ain't No n*gga", "Can't Knock the Hustle" and "Feelin' It"—were released in promotion of Reasonable Doubt.
 7 years ago '10        #53
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
 deadwrong03 said:
i didnt bring up anybodys bad singles jay has bad singles (sunshine) nas has bad singles (i can) this thread isnt about bad singles or worst singles its about classic meaningful hip hop singles that were popular when they dropped , and the whole point of this thread is jay z is weak in that area when hes 20 years deep in the game thats the whole point of this thread and its very much a valid point and FACT he doesnt have that many its fact
How can you last 20 years in the game if you don't have meaningful material? I gave 3 solid examples and you simply glossed over them.

And look beyond singles my brother...you're seriously reaching in this thread. You're honestly trying to draw conclusions about artists based on their singles?

Why not compare these artists on "classic meaningful hip hop music"?
 7 years ago '06        #54
Blah 17 heat pts17
space
space
$25,540 | Props total: 6791 6791
thread made by a eminem stan
theres no point in even replying with sense
 7 years ago '07        #55
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,040 | Props total: 1023 1023
Snoop is a legend too but he dont really have any meaningful singles that were just undeniable on the charts like Lose Yourself, Juicy ect.

And besides Jay actually does have pretty meaningful singles that are now considered classics. Dead Presidents (classic single), Hard Knock Life (classic single), 99 Problems (classic), Empire State of Mind (didn't NYC make this they're soundtrack or something like that?). Really there isn't too many songs in hip hop that can compete with Dear Mama in terms of impact but i think Juicy and Hard Knock Life are on the same tier together when you look at it unbiasedly but Juicy has a slight edge. They both have strong hooks that dont come from the artist, they both rap about they're previous struggles and the good life, even the video concepts are kind of similar being as though they're both shot in Brooklyn (the mansion part of Biggies video was shot in the Hamptons though but you get the point lol). So for Hard Knock Life and Empire State of Mind to be big singles like that says alot because he's considered mostly a club rapper. Ironically his two biggest singles aren't club bangers lol.

And alot of his singles are actually more creative then people give him credit for: Excuse Me Miss, I Know, 99 Problems, Show Me What You, DOA, Dirt Off Your Shoulder's, Girls Girls Girls, Not Guilty

Last edited by A-L-P; 04-30-2011 at 11:47 AM..
 04-30-2011, 02:40 AM         #56
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 - Streetz - said:
thread made by a eminem stan
theres no point in even replying with sense
Basically. This sh*t is ridiculous.

Jay-Z has never been this kind of rapper and you damn well know that. Jay-Z is drug rap and Summer Jam anthems. When Jay does try to reach out, people think the song is cool, but it doesn't blow up because that's not what we come to expect from Jay. Jay drops his knowledge in lines and verses, not songs. He has lines that can go as hard as the lines in One Mic in Izzo, Guilty Til Proven Innocent or Can't Knock The Hustle.

You're just looking at a way to make it to where Jay-Z fans can't call him goat and you can put another imaginary crown on your idol Eminem. disgusting.

Jay got his best lines from Selling drugs while Em got his best lines taking em.

Last edited by Dangerously; 04-30-2011 at 02:42 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #57
44Caliber 18 heat pts18
space
space
$4,576 | Props total: 22 22
Why does Jay even have to have a "meaningful single". Jay is one of the GOATs and if it isnt his style to put those uplifting singles so be it, but he has those tracks on his albums.

Jay has more diversity in his singles than prolly any other artist. He doesnt have to be NaS or OutKast.
 7 years ago '09        #58
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,394 | Props total: 5103 5103
 thegoldenhero said:
i am not a jay stan but you n*ggas find new ways to hate on that n*gga
new?

this thread has been made a million times
 04-30-2011, 05:46 AM         #59
Ameen 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why the fu*k is Jay-Z always rated as the greatest rapper alive...?

...because that n*gga chills in the white house and illuminati is on speed dial
 7 years ago '11        #60
PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
81 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
83 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
85 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Hugh Jackman Clarifies Disney-Fox Merger & Wolverine Joining the Avenge..
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy