PSN could be down all week, Sony has no idea if CC/Personal info has been stolen yet

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
85 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #61
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 71 71
 KSoraci7 said:
Your 43 Platinums make me think you're full of sh*t.
I'm not tripping on that sh*t. I'll have 43 plats on PSN, and 43 games 100%'d on XBL. I'll have CoD W@W done up on both systems. Go back thru the Arkham Asylum challenges again. Run hardcore on Dead Space 2. It's really nothing. I've got a broken PS3 I could have fixed any time if I really started to miss it. I like the PS3, I want this to come back stronger than ever, but Sony has lost my faith in more ways than one. I want to give them maybe until the weekend to see what they have in store. Either way it goes, I plan on getting a 360 soon just for the hell of it more than likely. Catch up on Gears of War in time for 3. Instead of having two PS3's, the 360 will be getting split buisness. I've got no problem pulling the Sony plug for now if they can't get their sh*t together.
 7 years ago '09        #62
mpf 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$51 | Props total: 0 0
Once tried using a cc, it kept saying it couldn't go through....used the same cc to buy a psn card from gamestop and never tried using a cc again
 7 years ago '09        #63
mpf 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$51 | Props total: 0 0
I removed my info after though
 7 years ago '11        #64
DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,713 | Props total: 3069 3069
 NnAiTnAjSa317 said:
I'm not tripping on that sh*t. I'll have 43 plats on PSN, and 43 games 100%'d on XBL. I'll have CoD W@W done up on both systems. Go back thru the Arkham Asylum challenges again. Run hardcore on Dead Space 2. It's really nothing. I've got a broken PS3 I could have fixed any time if I really started to miss it. I like the PS3, I want this to come back stronger than ever, but Sony has lost my faith in more ways than one. I want to give them maybe until the weekend to see what they have in store. Either way it goes, I plan on getting a 360 soon just for the hell of it more than likely. Catch up on Gears of War in time for 3. Instead of having two PS3's, the 360 will be getting split buisness. I've got no problem pulling the Sony plug for now if they can't get their sh*t together.
post your xbox gamer tag lets see those 43 games 100%'d what ever that means
 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM         #65
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I highly doubt any credit card information was stolen. Sony is probably tracking down all the people who signed into PSN using the Rebug CFW and downloaded PSN games for free. I am going to be laughing my butt off if Sony decides to sue a bunch of people.
 7 years ago '12        #66
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,988 | Props total: 1259 1259
 DJ EM Double said:
post your xbox gamer tag lets see those 43 games 100%'d what ever that means
Why is that even important?
 7 years ago '04        #67
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
 KSoraci7 said:
You couldn't/can't make a PSN Gamertag or Xbox Live GT without creditcard info, so I dunno what half of you are talking about.
what the fu*k are you talkin about

you dont need a credit card you d!ck
 7 years ago '04        #68
Explicit 239 heat pts239
space
space
$10,092 | Props total: 2398 2398
Posted this in PhI|0z0pH3r's thread:

Maybe some of you read it, maybe not, but here it is again.

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks.

With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content.

Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.
SOURCE:

Found this info after reading this forum:

"SUPPOSEDLY" PSN will not be back up this week, maybe mid next week.

Last edited by Explicit; 04-26-2011 at 12:14 AM..
 7 years ago '09        #69
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
 DoMieD said:
Why is that even important?
I know my trophy count would be a non factor in switching systems. I have enjoyed doing what I do on the PS3, but that's just part of the games now for me. Just a fun incentive to go a bit harder. In the end it means nothing, especially if I can't even compare and all that sh*t online. Sony's losses these last few months weigh more heavy on me than anything else as someone that has spent alot of money on them. It just feels like a sinking boat that I am ready to jump off of.
 7 years ago '06        #70
K-Train 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,564 | Props total: 47 47
I tried to get my Debit card info off my Xbox gold account.

It wouldnt let me.
 7 years ago '11        #71
NiMaD 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,643 | Props total: 160 160
yay more smear bs from sony against hackers to make it seem like the hackers want game players' info lol.. i guess believe what yall want
 04-25-2011, 11:49 PM         #72
Young Chuck D 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
anon may just be fu*king with cc/info just to make sony have to worry about it... they don't have a real interest in stealing consumer money etc.. but sony looks worse if theres an info breach than if the network is just down
 7 years ago '10        #73
DJ Lodose 
space
space
$154 | Props total: 15 15
 el bundy said:
thread title is fail. nowhere in that article did it say that psn would be down all week.
no it doesn't but SONY stated that it is indefinitely out which could mean 4 ever in literal terms... 360 looking good but I refuse to pay to play cuz I already pay to play with my internet provider. But of course...u get what ya pay for :beat::guns::guns::guns::lostit::lostit::lostit:
 7 years ago '09        #74
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
Who else can't wait to see Sony's E3 conference?
 7 years ago '10        #75
Alixix 27 heat pts27
space
space
$4,721 | Props total: 25 25
 Universal~Mind said:
So basically if it was indeed stolen... I could Sue Sony? OOOoowwwWWW Imma make a wish list of all the fancy things i plan on buying..:dancingcool:
im pretty sure sony has a disclaimer in their terms and agreements which protects them from something like that...
 7 years ago '07        #76
link04 87 heat pts87
space
space
$12,640 | Props total: 3959 3959
First and foremost...sony took down the servers because of an external intrusion, meaning whatever the problem was they shut down the servers to prevent further issues with each user.

Disappointed yes. End of the world no. I have enough games that support offline so its not that crucial, although i was playing mortal kombat and had a 10 win streak in king of the hill right when this happened..so i was a little bummed.
 7 years ago '11        #77
NiMaD 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,643 | Props total: 160 160
^^your fu*king stupid
 7 years ago '04        #78
nicoled985 22 heat pts22
space
space
$14,344 | Props total: 4479 4479
 canal_boys said:
well..what if you did trade it in for a slim 360 and a week later, you get the red right of death and that same week, PSN was back on-line stronger than ever; while he have to wait 2 weeks to get the 360 fixed and when you got it back 2 weeks later, you couldn't get online cause you didn't pay the $50 fee.
 tj.iscool said:
The new 360s hasn't been in the news or nothin for red rings
if so the shiit so small it's not even worth mentioning, so chill out son

exactly, I have a 360 slim and it hasn't given me any problems I love my xbox :)
 04-26-2011, 12:59 AM         #79
adadfalife607 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
still no estimation of when its gonna be back?...i feel like an addict... ha
 7 years ago '08        #80
Arson 84 heat pts84 OP
space
space
$40,114 | Props total: 23379 23379

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
34 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
74 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
85 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy