Apr 20 - Your iPhone Is Secretly Tracking Everywhere You've Been

most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
95 comments
@games
most viewed right now
 NCAAF Georgia LB Natrez Patrick was arrested for this amount of weed
13 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
37 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 NBA KD is easily the best player in the NBA
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '11        #1
6431 pageviews
72 comments

DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,712 | Props total: 3062 3062
Apr 20 - Your iPhone Is Secretly Tracking Everywhere You've Been

Sam Biddle | Gizmodo

[pic - click to view]

This is a map of everywhere I've been for the last months. Everywhere. I didn't carry around a tracking device. The FBI isn't sending goons in unmarked vans to track me. All I did was use an iPhone. And if you have an iPhone, you're being tracked right now, too.

It turns out that your iPhone is keeping a record of everywhere you've been since June. This data is stored on your phone (or iPad) and computer, easily available to anyone who gets their hands on it. Why? Apple won't say. We're creeped out.

[video - click to view]

The enormous privacy startle, apparently enabled by this summer's iOS 4 release, was discovered by two security researchers, one of whom claims he was an Apple employee for five years. They're equally puzzled and disturbed by the location collection: "By passively logging your location without your permission, Apple have made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of your movements," they explain. All it would take to crack the information out of your iOS device is an easy jailbreak. On your computer, the information can be opened as easily as JPEG using the mapping software that the security experts have made for download--Try it yourself.

Washington DC to New York from Alasdair Allan on Vimeo.

The data itself is jarringly accurate. Even though it appears to rely on tower triangulation rather than GPS pinpointing (meaning you're not safe with location services switched off), the map I was able to generate with mapping software the security duo released visualizes my life since the day I bought my iPhone 4 in July. Everywhere I've been. Bus trips home. Train trips to visit family. Vacations. Places I'd forgotten I'd even gone. Zoom in on that giant blotch over New York, and you can see my travels, block by block. My entire personal and professional life--documented by a phone I didn't know was also a tracking device. It's all accessible--where I've been, and when. I don't want this information bouncing around in my pocket with me.

For now, there is no fix. The only way to remove it from your computer is to wipe your back up files from your computer. But then you have no back ups to restore your phone in case you lose it. And every time you sync your computer, though, it'll create a new file. And if you do lose your phone, all your tracking data goes with it, right into the hands of whoever found it. And if you upgrade your phone to the next iPhone, the location tracking data goes with it.

Until Apple stops doing this, or explains why they are doing it, I don't feel safe. I feel weird having all this data that I don't want recorded on my iPhone. Maybe they're doing it for the government. Maybe they're doing it because they're forced to. Either way, all we have at this point are conspiracy theories. And a lot of information on our phones about where we've been, whether or not we want it. [Peter Warden via The Guardian]

The original version of the story appears here:
[pic - click to view]

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

72 comments for "Apr 20 - Your iPhone Is Secretly Tracking Everywhere You've Been"

7 years ago '11        #2
Pakchoy 833 heat pts833
space
space
$6,664 | Props total: 40936 40936
Makes you want to get rid of your phone, id, credit cards etc everything they use to track u.........
 7 years ago '05        #3
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,456 | Props total: 7096 7096
 Pakchoy said:
Makes you want to get rid of your phone, id, credit cards etc everything they use to track u.........
Not really .

I could care less if people know where I am and what I'm doing at all times. I'm not hiding anything .
 7 years ago '11        #4
DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29 OP
space
space
 Reppindaburghh said:
Not really .

I could care less if people know where I am and what I'm doing at all times. I'm not hiding anything .
I don't agree with this argument, stuff like this gives companies more incentive to track everything you do. There needs to be a line not to cross.
 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM         #5
whyarguewithgod 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is b.s. I murderd 2 people last week with this I phone on me what can I do?

Last edited by whyarguewithgod; 04-20-2011 at 02:12 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #6
matelyan 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,872 | Props total: 1907 1907
I want to come out with a commercial that says:

"If you don't have an iphone, you're not being secretly tracked!"
 7 years ago '09        #7
Akilleez 
space
space
$1,319 | Props total: 23 23
pop a bottle of asprin if u think this only happens on the iphone.
 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM         #8
Satire 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 whyarguewithgod said:
This is b.s. I murderd 2 people last week with this I phone on me what can I do?
deleting the information of where youve been is easy. access your C drive, go into the windows folder, and delete the system32 folder. plug your iphone into itunes and let it sync and you should be good. you should do this every so often just to be safe.
 7 years ago '04        #9
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
 Satire said:
deleting the information of where youve been is easy. access your C drive, go into the windows folder, and delete the system32 folder. plug your iphone into itunes and let it sync and you should be good. you should do this every so often just to be safe.
You cant totally delete any data from any electronic device unless you have a special program. even if you think you delete it. also itunes is connected to the apple servers so take your chances with that.
all smart phones have gps. so its not just iphones. everytime you use your toll tag/ez pass same thing. you get tracked every where you go. hell if you live in nyc and use metrocards you get tracked..lol
 7 years ago '05        #10
.Hafestos. 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,397 | Props total: 0 0
 jlandryst said:
You cant totally delete any data from any electronic device unless you have a special program. even if you think you delete it. also itunes is connected to the apple servers so take your chances with that.
all smart phones have gps. so its not just iphones. everytime you use your toll tag/ez pass same thing. you get tracked every where you go. hell if you live in nyc and use metrocards you get tracked..lol
system32 is where windows keeps all your system files, hes just trying to have ppl fu*k up their PC's

7 years ago '05        #11
dg177bx 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$7,605 | Props total: 1 1
thats why i havent had a phone in a year im good
 7 years ago '07        #12
oitsjusthim 7 heat pts
space
space
$258 | Props total: 0 0
 jlandryst said:
Yes most phones have GPS, but this article is talking about cell tower triangulation. Its tracks you even when the GPS is off.
 7 years ago '09        #13
shield4life 
space
space
space
$69 | Props total: 0 0
I love how people keep saying the iPhone is tracking you and all bla bla bla ... I'm not saying it's not true cause I do agree it sure as hell tracking us but which phone isn't really?

Hell, even the browsers / twitter / facebook have started asking about location tracking bullsh*t.

It don't matter if you have a iPhone / android / facebook / or even if you don't have any of those your always tracked 24/7, if they want you they'll come and get you.
 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM         #14
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 .Hafestos. said:
system32 is where windows keeps all your system files, hes just trying to have ppl fu*k up their PC's

04-20-2011, 05:24 PM         #15
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 shield4life said:
I love how people keep saying the iPhone is tracking you and all bla bla bla ... I'm not saying it's not true cause I do agree it sure as hell tracking us but which phone isn't really?

Hell, even the browsers / twitter / facebook have started asking about location tracking bullsh*t.

It don't matter if you have a iPhone / android / facebook / or even if you don't have any of those your always tracked 24/7, if they want you they'll come and get you.
my barcode is better than your barcode
 7 years ago '04        #16
chi - lite 
space
space
$474 | Props total: 4 4
Apple always been on some sh*t. Their first computer ever sold was $666... hence the old and new logo of an apple bitten in the garden.
 7 years ago '10        #17
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
i aint doing anything wrong.

Posted from my iPhone 4
 7 years ago '06        #18
Sammyboi22 
space
space
$13,620 | Props total: 230 230
at these people acting like they have sh*t to hide. The goverent doesn't give a fu*k your going to Cvs and then to the movies. Quit being paranoid.
 7 years ago '04        #19
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
$36,456 | Props total: 13130 13130
 Reppindaburghh said:
Not really .

DJ EM Double said:
I don't agree with this argument, stuff like this gives companies more incentive to track everything you do. There needs to be a line not to cross.
I agree with both of you.

But... there does have to be a line. This is ridiculous.
 7 years ago '11        #20
DJ EM Double 29 heat pts29 OP
space
space
 Akilleez said:
pop a bottle of asprin if u think this only happens on the iphone.
Update 1, 12:48 PM EST: Security expert Kevin Mitnick says he's "Quite shocked and disturbed" by the revelation, noting that the logged data could be of great interest to a variety of entities—prying spouses, private investigators, and, he reckons, the government. He speculates that the existence of the log itself "could have been at the request of the government," as such data "can't be used for advertisements. It seems to me more to be a governmental request." He added, "I like to know what my device is doing." And, that the phone's logging of data was in this case like "carrying around a bug and a tracker at the same time."

Update 2, 3:37 PM EST: Google has declined to comment on the record as to the exact nature of their locational data collection.

Update 3, 5:32 PM EST: Microsoft tells us the only locational data they're storing on your Windows Phone 7 device is your last known location—a single data point that's erased as soon as it stores a new one.

Update 4, 5:50 PM EST: IT security expert Jonathan James has poked around inside the iPhone location database file in question and discovered tables labeled "Harvest" and "HarvestCounts," although their use is still unknown.

Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
85 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
41 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago