Rappers React to Lil B "Gay" LP Title

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
238 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
125 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
13559 pageviews
242 comments

flix02 2055 heat pts2055
space
space
$10,632 | Props total: 3749 3749
Rappers React to Lil B "Gay" LP Title

[video - click to view]

Rappers React to Lil B “Gay” LP Title

Talib Kweli, Freddie Gibbs and k!ller Mike weigh in on the name of the Based God’s new controversial album…

Over the weekend, the rap world went nuts after a video of Lil B announcing the title of his new album was posted on hundreds of web sites all over the ‘net. For those still playin’ catch-up, The 2011 Freshman told the crowd at Coachella during his performance on Saturday (April 16), that his new disc will be called, I’m Gay. [Watch above]

Onstage, B explained he’s naming the LP that, not because he lives that lifestyle, but because he wants to illustrate that “words don’t mean sh*t.” XXLMag.com reached out to various artists from the East, the South and the Mid-West: Talib Kweli, Freddie Gibbs and k!ller Mike; to find out their reactions to the news.

“Immediately (upon hearing the hubbub) I’m like not that’s a fu*kin’ social experiment, if I’ve ever heard one,” Kwe told XXL. “Look I don’t care who you sleep with at the end of the day. I don’t care if Lil B’s gay or not. It doesn’t change my life in any way, but for him to name his album I’m Gay, issues such a challenge to his fans. I’m not sure if it’s brilliant or not but what he did with that, in one fell swoop was challenge every single bandwagon fan. Like are you really down with me or not. And me as an artist, I have no choice but to respect that. “

Gibbs, also a former XXL Freshman alum, sees it differently. “[The] Lil B sh*t was funny at first but now I feel like it’s just a bunch of white people laughing at a n*gga, like a minstrel show. sh*t is wack. I ain’t dissin’ gays, if you gay that’s yo biz.”

Mike Bigga, on the other hand, feels as if he understands B’s strategy behind the title. “He’s a happy guy, Gay means happy,” the ATLien reminded readers. “It makes perfect sense to me. It’s a provocative, bold thing to me. That’s what B does. It’s not as shocking to me. From a social element . . . this just feels like knocking down walls and stereotypes, embracing controversy and flipping it. Bravo to him for being the next Madonna. I also don’t think Lil B could ever make some of the music that I make. If he’s rapping about (gay) lifestyle the whole album, no I probably wouldn’t want to hear it. If he’s rapping on some hip-hop sh*t and it’s a weird a.ss, weird Lil B album . . . I’d probably buy it like i I did his last (album) and have a little laugh.”

Regardless of the differences in opinion, one thing Kweli points out is that the rap world as a whole is becoming more accepting of different lifestyle choices as it continues to grow up, which as he implies, is a move in a more positive direction. “I’m happy to see young hip-hop heads move out of the homophobia,” he said. “Regardless of what your stance is on gay people, homophobia or the act and practice of it is extra wack. “ —Jesse Gissen with additional reporting from Mark Lelinwalla and Nicole LoPresti

[pic - click to view]

Rappers React to Lil B ā€œGayā€¯ LP Title | XXLMAG.COM

242 comments for "Rappers React to Lil B "Gay" LP Title"

04-18-2011, 11:43 AM         #2
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm gay.
 04-18-2011, 11:44 AM         #3
sourkush 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lmao.
 7 years ago '11        #4
DB30 10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,717 | Props total: 166 166
I'm gay.
 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM         #5
Kakarot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
kweli was right, he really is testin his fans tolerance
 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM         #6
Giuseppe554 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

04-18-2011, 11:49 AM         #7
pabloescobarjr 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lil B sh*t was funny at first but now I feel like it’s just a bunch of white people laughing at a n*gga, like a minstrel show

^this. all dey see is a **** who sayin some wild s**t and think its funny.
 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM         #8
Thee504Legend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '09        #9
ImageOfTruth 
space
space
$3,053 | Props total: 16 16
 flix02 said:

I’m not sure if it’s brilliant or not but what he did with that, in one fell swoop was challenge every single bandwagon fan. Like are you really down with me or not. And me as an artist, I have no choice but to respect that.

“Regardless of what your stance is on gay people, homophobia or the act and practice of it is extra wack. “ —Jesse Gissen with additional reporting from Mark Lelinwalla and Nicole LoPresti

What I been saying, but then again Kweli is an intellectual.
 7 years ago '07        #10
Hunedz|M 38 heat pts38
space
space
$6,414 | Props total: 3 3
Good sh*t Talib! He said lil' b is challenging his fans "Are you really down with me" ..that's a good way to think about it. Who knows .. I expected Gibbs to say that ..kinda real, but simple mindedness at the same time, people of all races are listening to lil' b music. Crazy enough, dope as Gibbs is I know some people that think he's just another rapper TRYING to be on the modern hip hop tip. It is what is ..

Not a lil' b fan.

Last edited by Hunedz; 04-18-2011 at 11:58 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #11
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,727 | Props total: 2180 2180
I'm gay.
 7 years ago '10        #12
basedhiphop 
space
space
$1,782 | Props total: 0 0

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '10        #13
Kool Aid 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,956 | Props total: 1990 1990
Im gay too!
 7 years ago '05        #14
Universal~Mind 59 heat pts59
space
space
$12,109 | Props total: 527 527
 pabloescobarjr said:
Lil B sh*t was funny at first but now I feel like it’s just a bunch of white people laughing at a n*gga, like a minstrel show

^this. all dey see is a **** who sayin some wild s**t and think its funny.
But..... It isn't any worse than a **** cosciously typing out "Dey" because he's obsessed with sounding hood through text......
 7 years ago '06        #15
*c.o.a.* 104 heat pts104
space
space
$3,659 | Props total: 44 44
im Bi
 7 years ago '09        #16
Xx Tecca xX 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,358 | Props total: 0 0
 Giuseppe554 said:

[pic - click to view]

yea maybe if you lil b was hiphop, that young fu*kin n*gga is a disgrace
 7 years ago '09        #17
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,393 | Props total: 5103 5103
im straight
 7 years ago '08        #18
flix02 2055 heat pts2055 OP
space
space
$10,632 | Props total: 3749 3749
wtf is goin on in here
 7 years ago '10        #19
basedhiphop 
space
space
$1,782 | Props total: 0 0
 iPod160 said:
maybe he just has a habit of typin dey.

anyway, I wanna talk about the crowd reaction. If that is what its gonna be like, then he might need another gimmick. They kinda laughed at him briefly...nothin too crazy.
coachella crowd =/= Lil B crowd
 7 years ago '07        #20
Mr.NYCinNC 33 heat pts33
space
space
$9,902 | Props total: 2280 2280
 Joe Budden said:
I'm gay.
 DB30 said:
I'm gay.
 Gm0ney85 said:
I'm gay.

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
107 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
56 comments
1 day ago