The Inventor of Video Game ROM cartridges dies at 70

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
39 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
67 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '10        #1
6330 pageviews
77 comments

DurtySoufReppin 76 heat pts76
space
space
$7,718 | Props total: 14 14
The Inventor of Video Game ROM cartridges dies at 70

[pic - click to view]

Gerald “Jerry” Lawson, creator of the first cartridge-based videogame console, died Saturday morning in a Mountain View, California, hospital, Wired.com has learned. Lawson was 70.

As an engineer at Fairchild Semiconductor, Lawson designed the electronics of the Fairchild Video Entertainment System, later renamed the Channel F, in 1976.

Predating the release of Atari’s Video Computer System by a year, the Channel F was the first videogame machine that used interchangeable game cartridges, which Fairchild sold separately. Previous game machines like Atari’s Pong and the Magnavox Odyssey had all their games built into the hardware. Lawson’s pioneering design set the standard for the game consoles of today.

“Jerry was an amazing personality,” said family friend David Erhart, who broke the news of Lawson’s death Monday on the Digital Press website. “He created part of the videogame industry history in Silicon Valley and it was always a pleasure to hear his stories about back in the day.”

Much of Lawson’s background is discussed in a wide-ranging interview he gave Vintage Computing and Gaming in 2009.

A lifelong engineer and tinkerer, Lawson was born in 1940 and grew up in a federal housing project in Queens, New York. As a kid, he operated a ham radio; as a teenager he earned money by repairing his neighbors’ television sets.

In the 1970s, living and working in Silicon Valley, he joined the Homebrew Computer Club, a group of early hackers that included Apple co-founders Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Lawson’s contributions to videogames began with Demolition Derby, a coin-operated arcade machine that he created in his garage while working at Fairchild.

“Fairchild found out about it — in fact, it was a big controversy that I had done that. And then, very quietly, they asked me if I wanted to do it for them,” Lawson said in the Vintage Computing interview.

Although similar machines were in development at Atari and RCA at the time, the console Lawson’s team built for Fairchild was the first cartridge-based gaming system that came to market. Although it seems simple now, making the technology work wasn’t easy.

“There was a mechanism that allowed you to put the cartridges in without destroying the semiconductors…. We were afraid — we didn’t have statistics on multiple insertion and what it would do, and how we would do it, because it wasn’t done. I mean, think about it: Nobody had the capability of plugging in memory devices in mass quantity like in a consumer product. Nobody.”

Only 26 cartridges were ever released for Channel F, all simple games like Blackjack, Space War and Bowling. When Atari released its cartridge-based system, Channel F was quickly rendered obsolete. Years later, Lawson started his own company, Videosoft, to produce Atari 2600 cartridges, but only released one, a technician’s tool called Color Bar Generator.

Last month, the International Game Developers a.ssociation honored Lawson’s pioneering efforts at Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

‘His workbench had more tools than most people would even know what to do with.’“The whole reason I did games was because people said, ‘You can’t do it,’” he told the San Jose Mercury News last month. “I’m one of the guys, if you tell me I can’t do something, I’ll turn around and do it.”

In later years, Lawson had suffered the severe effects of diabetes. He lost sight in one eye and lost one of his legs to the disease, leaving him confined to a wheelchair. On Wednesday, not feeling well, he was admitted into El Camino Hospital Mountain View.

“He continued building devices to control telescopes, lasers, tools, etc. up until the day he went to the hospital,” said friend Erhart. “His workbench had more tools than most people would even know what to do with. He taught me quite a bit and I’ll miss him sorely.”

At 6:15 a.m. Saturday, Lawson died after apparently suffering a heart attack. He is survived by his wife, son and daughter. The family is planning a memorial service in mid-May.

[pic - click to view]

Jerry Lawson, Inventor of Modern Game Console, Dies at 70 | GameLife | Wired.com

a black man invented console gaming.. I never knew this:agreement6:

He was straight out the projects and became an innovator..

This dude should be getting much more respect around the world...

R.I.P.

Last edited by Da Ill One; 04-12-2011 at 06:07 PM..

77 comments for "The Inventor of Video Game ROM cartridges dies at 70"

7 years ago '05        #2
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
$21,432 | Props total: 9 9
dope ish!
 04-12-2011, 08:14 AM         #3
Yelsgnik 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn he was black..

I never knew this, didn't hear about him during black history month..
 7 years ago '07        #4
dionedre3000 
space
space
$8,973 | Props total: 791 791
R.i.p. Should get way more respect and recognition.
 7 years ago '05        #5
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
 Yelsgnik said:
Damn he was black..

lol, no bullsh*t. would've made black history month more interesting.

thats how the school systems need to sucker the youth in who don't want to read or anything, let em know a black guy is the reason they playing xbox360 or ps3 and then u give em some other dope a.ss literature to read.
 7 years ago '09        #6
K0ntrast 64 heat pts64
space
space
$29,710 | Props total: 13299 13299
RIP to the best inventor ever
 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM         #7
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the fu*k, how come i did not know this???

maaaannnnnnnn. finna start a race war in here in a minute this is complete bullsh*t
 7 years ago '04        #8
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,516 | Props total: 324 324
Thank you based Jerry!
 7 years ago '10        #9
DurtySoufReppin 76 heat pts76 OP
space
space
 WorldsStrangest said:
the fu*k, how come i did not know this???

maaaannnnnnnn. finna start a race war in here in a minute this is complete bullsh*t
lol word....

I feel like Xbox Live & PSN should have some type of ticker or something on his death to show respect...
 7 years ago '05        #10
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
 DurtySoufReppin said:
lol word....

I feel like Xbox Live & PSN should have some type of ticker or something on his death to show respect...
they dont give a fu*k, as long as they continue to get our money thats all they worry about.
 7 years ago '06        #11
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$14,135 | Props total: 4736 4736
i didnt know
im also not surprised either.
as i clicked the link, a black person crossed my mind.
also invented the lotto.
 7 years ago '06        #12
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,854 | Props total: 944 944
Damn, i never knew this! that's fu*ked up how the media waits til his death to even mention dude!!
 7 years ago '04        #13
Krypt 3 heat pts
space
space
$8,318 | Props total: 272 272
Rest In...

[pic - click to view]

Peace!
 7 years ago '05        #14
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
I've never heard anyone say "a White guy" or "Asian guy" invented consoles either

take that sh*t elsewhere

RIP though
 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM         #15
LaRy BLanco 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
time out.... a black man invented the first game console???

this is big news I did not know this damn, R.I.P.
 7 years ago '10        #16
space
space
 SlimTrip said:
Rip but you all sound desperate with that race sh*t. Asians made gaming what it is anyway
 7 years ago '10        #17
space
space
 Bea5T said:
I've never heard anyone say "a White guy" or "Asian guy" invented consoles either

take that sh*t elsewhere

RIP though
gtfoh.. how bout u take your terrible a.ss grammar elsewhere
 7 years ago '05        #18
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
 DurtySoufReppin said:
irony much?
 7 years ago '05        #19
NomiS 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 28 28
 Yelsgnik said:
Damn he was black..

seems like the nig who invented peanut butter was more interesting
 7 years ago '05        #20
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 DurtySoufReppin said:
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
109 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
66 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
107 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
111 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Ultimate mugen build(tell me the characters and Ill build you a custom game)
50 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Michael "Walking Bucket" Beasley Highlights vs Thunder | 30pts, 5reb, 4ast
74 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
127 comments
2 days ago