New show "The Killing" premieres tomorrow (Sunday, April 3rd) at 9 PM on AMC.

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Todd Todd Todd Mcshay first mock.
52 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
73 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '10        #101
WalmartRollback 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,959 | Props total: 109 109
fk fk fk fk....How many episodes have i missed? Reading through post makes me want to check this show out but I stopped short of page 3 1/2 because yall began discussing the show lol
 7 years ago '05        #102
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55 OP
space
space
$53,452 | Props total: 7096 7096
Iím not sure I really got a sense of The k!llingís glacial pace until Sunday nightís episode, in which Rosie was finally laid to rest. Weíve been watching this series for weeks, and weíre just now getting to her funeral. I havenít minded the slow unraveling of the mystery up to this pointóand Iím not sure I mind nowóbut there was something a bit overly drawn-out about the episode. I know The k!lling is on track to a cathartic conclusion, so why am I suddenly getting a little antsy?

Part of the problem is that Linden and Holder are clearly focusing on the wrong suspect, and thatís frustrating to anyone who has watched a police procedural before. Granted, The k!lling is an entirely different genre, but come on, you donít really think Bennett Ahmed did it, do you? Even his wife is a long-shot at this point, since theyíve already given her a motive and means to do it. I agree that they both appear to be likely candidatesóparticularly the wifeóbut itís too soon and too easy for things to be that simple.

Then thereís the fact that all of this feels a bit too familiar, and Iím not referring to the original Danish series. (Which I havenít watched, because, duh, I donít want to know how AMCís version ends.) But, um, Mystic River, anyone? Spoiler alert if you havenít seen it, but the father of the murdered girl taking the law into his own hands and going after the man he thinks k!lled his daughter. I donít think Stan is going to go through with it and k!ll Bennett, but itís still pretty damn similar to Mystic Riverís climax. And letís not forget Jimmy had the wrong guy, too. (I warned you about spoilers!)

Iím picking on The k!lling, but itís still one of the best series on TV right now. There was a lot to enjoy about Sundayís episode, most of which had nothing to do with the murder investigation itself. And Iím fine with thatóas Iíve said before, resolutions to season-long mysteries are very often disappointments, so Iím glad we have compelling characters and side stories to focus on, too.

For once, I was interested in the Richmond scenes, which are usually the low points for me. In previous episodes, the political aspects of The k!lling havenít meshed with the rest of the story, but I loved the way everything came together this week. Richmond was advised to distance himself from Bennett, whom he's standing next to in a photo used in his new campaign ad, because of the teacherís possible involvement in Rosieís murder. I admired Richmondís insistence that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that it was wrong and unnecessary to push Bennett away. But I also appreciated the other side of the equation, the way voters might react to the a.ssociations between Richmondís campaign and the murder, and how the current mayor would use this information against his opponent.

And whatís the deal with Terry? She came home from Rosieís wake, lit up a joint, put on a record, and started crying. Sure, this could just be grief over her nieceís death, but it seemed like more than that to me. What is she hiding? And what about that significant glance she exchanged with a mourner and his wife at the wake?

Larger questions aside, there are still great moments of symbolism: Rosieís brother squishing the worm crawling over his sisterís grave, Linden getting the door closed on her at the wake. Iíll concede that this weekís episode never entirely came together for me, if only because I feel like Iím being strung along more than I need to be. But The k!lling remains great television, and Iím in it for the long haul. I can always choose to focus on the details that interest me instead. Thankfully, there are plenty.

7 years ago '05        #103
space
space
 tonystarks21 said:
new episode came out? does it come out every sunday
Yeah every Sunday at 10 its on TV, so it's on the net by 11:15 Eastern time every Sunday.
 7 years ago '05        #104
space
space
Bump.

Bout to watch this after the Bulls game.
 7 years ago '05        #105
space
space

Wonder what was in that room. Probably some type of terrorist sh*t.
 7 years ago '05        #106
space
space

[pic - click to view]

'The k!lling' has abandoned the central device of most police procedurals -- we know they're not going to nab the bad guy before the end of the hour. But the removal of that requirement has created other demands on the show.

The gimmick of 'The k!lling' is that it is going to take an entire season to find the k!ller of Rosie Larsen. But before it gets to that big reveal, it has to keep viewers' interest with a series of cliffhangers. And strangely enough, the ending of Sunday's episode left me thinking about '24,' a show with a very different tone and pace.

Sarah Linden's personality is radically different from Jack Bauer's, but the two shows have one thing in common -- both '24' and 'The k!lling' have to give us "exciting" endings, to make sure we'll keep tuning in. The reveal at the butcher shop felt especially '24'-like, in that it involved FBI agents busting in to a place that had connections to possibly shady character from a mosque. Though it wouldn't have fit the world of 'The k!lling' at all, it would have mildly amused my weird sense of humor to see Jack Bauer demanding that Linden to tell him what she knows "now, damn it!"

In all seriousness, the FBI raid at the meat store felt like a bit of a misfire. Of course Linden and Holder will immediate show their badges and once they're revealed to be police officers, they'll be released and allowed to go about their business. It made for a dramatic moment when the agents busted in, but the "drama" of that moment was also a bit silly. This isn't a dangerous situation for the detectives, it's a simple misunderstanding, one that will be quickly cleared up.

In any event, I'm a bit wary of the idea that Rosie's k!lling might tie into some kind of federal investigation of those a.ssociated with the mosque. Putting all other concerns aside, it just feels like we've been down that storytelling road on many other shows, especially '24.' And to introduce some kind of possible terrorism thread at this late stage in the game would just seem odd and incongruous. (Still, if that transpires, in a perfect world, the analysts from 'Rubicon' would swoop in to shuffle papers and come up with the perfect theory of what transpired in Seattle.)

Seriously, let's hope the show doesn't take a hard turn into '24' territory. I'm sure there are many implications and connections when it comes to Rosie's death, but this is a show that is grounded in emotions and relationships. Nothing against 'NCIS,', but this show does not live in procedural-thriller territory, it's more thematically and atmospherically ambitious than that.

Whether it succeeds in its ambitions is still an open question; though this week's hour was more or less acceptable, I still don't think the show has lived up to its early promise. New Yorker critic Nancy Franklin makes some good points in her review; I'm not quite as negative about the show as she is, though I remain disappointed, as she is, that the characters aren't more interesting by this point. If you're going to jettison aspects of the typical procedural to focus on character, you really have to nail that aspect of the story, and so far the show is patchy in that regard.

Speaking of relationships, I love that Holder immediately figured out that something hinky was going on with Stan's employee, Belko. Belko slyly pocketed Bennet Ahmed's phone, he fed a bunch of sketchy information to Stan last week and this week, he also avoided all conversation with Holder, all of which makes Belko seem even more suspicious.

Here's my main question about Belko: Where's he getting his information? Does he really have a buddy at the school? How did he know about "the cage" in the school's basement? He certainly knows more than he should, and I'm wondering how he's finding all those things out. More shall be revealed on this front, no doubt.

I didn't really mind that Stan didn't k!ll Bennet, mainly because that would be a little too dark and Gothic for the world 'The k!lling' has established. And as Stan and his wife discussed, he's no longer the violent man he was in his past. He just didn't have it in him to k!ll the freaked-out teacher (though Stan undoubtedly enjoyed making Bennet very, very uncomfortable).

Stan isn't the man he used to be, and in general, 'Vengeance' found the rest of the characters trying, if only in rudimentary ways, to move forward with their lives. Mitch couldn't bring herself to sleep with her husband, but she seemed more alive than she did in recent days, and she was alert enough to fend off the pointed barbs of her mother. (Question: Was it ever explained why Mitch's parents weren't at Rosie's funeral? Or were they there and we just didn't see them?)

Even though Mitch and Stan have begun to climb out of the deepest part of the hole they'd been in, Mitch isn't discounting the idea of vengeance, as we saw from her vigil at the Ahmed house. And though he's trying to hang on through the last stage of his campaign, the mayor won't let Darren Richmond move past his ill-timed public embrace of Ahmed.

Apparently Richmond himself is still haunted by what happened to his own wife. Another question: Though we found out how she died (she was hit by a drunk driver), why won't Richmond forgive himself? What does he have to regret?

As critic Alan Sepinwall has said, I wish the show would just give up on the fiance stuff and acknowledge what is clearly true: That Linden won't leave Seattle until the case is wrapped up. There's no need to dwell on phone calls, plane tickets or trips to the airport. However the Linden-Holder stuff was generally good, which isn't surprising, given how good these actors are.

We did find out that Linden almost lost custody of her son, thanks to her workaholic tendencies, and that she shuts down whenever Regi questions her on her obvious ambivalence about leaving Seattle. Like many cops, Linden is willing and able to peer into the darkest corners of others' lives, but she'd prefer if her own heart and soul remain unexamined. Pointed questions are fine, as long as they're directed at other people, not her.

I just can't get enough of Joel Kinnaman's great performance as Holder; he's my favorite part of the show at this stage. He can be tough, as he was in the scene in which Holder reminds Linden that she's supposed to be gone and he's supposed to be leading the investigation. He can be goofy and playful, as when he shouted "Hey baby" to a passing stranger outside the meat store. Holder is just such a real, fully formed character that I'd enjoy more time spent on him. That's been a consistent frustration; the cast is clearly so capable and the actors have such range that the narrowness of the show's focus is sometimes a drawback.

In any event, like Linden, I'm in this until the end. Let's reconvene and do this again next week.

A few random notes:

• Though it didn't bug this week, I still don't need much of the political campaign story line, though it was kind of amusing when the mayor's commercial acted as the ultimate lovemaking buzzkill.

• Boy, it was convenient that a random stranger put a clue in Linden's shoe at the mosque, huh? As I said last week, the show isn't your usual procedural but it's not above giving its detectives extremely convenient clues, the kind that pervade more typical procedurals.

• It was kind of amusing that the final sequence of scenes was set at a butcher shop, with meat hooks hanging everywhere. It's the kind of location where typical TV detectives find grisly human remains. The show likes to use those kinds of misdirects, in which it plays with the expectations that we have been trained to have by other cop shows. But there were no bodies in this butcher's shop -- just a dozen FBI agents. Psych!
 7 years ago '05        #107
space
space
The first part of the review is fu*king retarded, but other then that it's a good read. Drawing parallels from this episode of The k!lling to the show 24? Seriously? The FBI raiding the butcher shop at the end to me just suggests that that lead is going to hit a brick wall and they will have to look at other suspects. Simple as that. The reviewer was reading WAY to far into it.
 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM         #108
Trill Clinton 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I just stopped reading midway thru that review,The k!lling is a damn good show.I wondering ol' boys brother I think whover that "friend" is at the school may be the person that k!lled rosie.
 7 years ago '05        #109
space
space
Bump for tonight
 7 years ago '07        #110
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,231 | Props total: 20002 20002
AMC been k!lling it this show is so ill.
 7 years ago '10        #111
Gottagat 
space
space
$11,644 | Props total: 218 218
my favorite show right now

i think the cops fiance did it :hmm:..n*gga in a real rush about shyt

maybe the rich billionaire dude:hmm:

i know 4 a fact the muslim child predator dude aint do it.

this shyt remind me of the Chandra Levey case i wont be surprised on anything

good call on the father friend dude shady plus he did that weird shyt in the sons room when he changed da bed sheets n shyt.

For the longest i thought it was her partner but nah
 7 years ago '07        #112
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,789 | Props total: 14597 14597
her fiance was quick to get outta there but i doubt he had anything to do w/ it.
 7 years ago '10        #113
Gottagat 
space
space
$11,644 | Props total: 218 218
 TH35 said:
her fiance was quick to get outta there but i doubt he had anything to do w/ it.
maybe.. but he is a suspect on the list on the website
 7 years ago '05        #114
space
space
Honestly I have absolutely no clue whatsoever who the k!ller is.
 7 years ago '07        #115
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Reppindaburghh said:
Honestly I have absolutely no clue whatsoever who the k!ller is.
I don't either they're doing a good job at concealing it.
 7 years ago '05        #116
space
space
 TH35 said:
I don't either they're doing a good job at concealing it.
Hopefully thats true, and it doesn't end up being some dumb a.ss reveal about somebody that doesn't make sense, or nobody cares about.
 7 years ago '07        #117
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Reppindaburghh said:
Hopefully thats true, and it doesn't end up being some dumb a.ss reveal about somebody that doesn't make sense, or nobody cares about.
I hope not. If its that Mohammed guy then it will be someone I don't care about.
 7 years ago '05        #118
space
space
 TH35 said:
I hope not. If its that Mohammed guy then it will be someone I don't care about.
If it is him I will be supremely disappointed. Way to obvious.
 7 years ago '09        #119
Ricky Towel 128 heat pts128
space
space
$15,415 | Props total: 409 409
the only thing that makes me think it could be linden's fiance is he seems to be too big of an actor for such the small role he's had thus far.

not saying hes a big actor but he's bigger than what he's had so far.
 7 years ago '07        #120
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,231 | Props total: 20002 20002
 Ricky Towel said:
the only thing that makes me think it could be linden's fiance is he seems to be too big of an actor for such the small role he's had thus far.

not saying hes a big actor but he's bigger than what he's had so far.
thats Lew from Californication, yeah I wonder if he will have a bigger role. I just read that AMC is gonna renew this.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
129 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
19 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now