Android Becomes the Number One Smartphone OS 3/31/2011

most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #1
7617 pageviews
167 comments

kkkid 177 heat pts177
space
space
$3,712 | Props total: 750 750
Android Becomes the Number One Smartphone OS 3/31/2011

[pic - click to view]

Android have become the number one smartphone OS, according to a study by market research company Canalys. With shipments of 32.9 million during the fourth quarter of 2010, Android is ahead of both Symbian and iOS. Overall, Android’s market share grew from 8.4 percent to a staggering 32.5 percent in 2010.

Android have seen massive growth throughout 2010, due to strong sales from a number of vendors. With Samsung, LG, Acer, and HTC all now making Android phones, the Google OS had a massive year-on-year growth rate of 615.1 percent. While the sheer amount of vendors is a definite plus for Android, HTC and Samsung accounted for almost 45 percent of Android smartphone shipments according to this study.

Symbian managed to hold on to second place, with 31 million sales in the last quarter and 30.6 percent of the market share. While this was down from 44.4 percent from a year before, they managed to hold out Apple who came in third with their iOS. Apple’s market share slipped by 0.3 percent to 16 percent, despite the fact that they sold 16.2 million iPhones.

Coming in at fourth and fifth place respectively were the BlackBerry OS from Research In Motion and Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7. While new Phone 7 smartphones appeared on the marketplace a little too late in the season to have much of an impact on these results, Microsoft are continuing to plug along steadily.

In terms of smartphone vendors, Nokia retained its top position with 28 percent of the market, followed by Apple with 16 percent, RIM with 14 percent, Samsung with 11 percent, and HTC with 8 percent. 2011 is looking like it will be more competitive than ever before in the world of smartphones, with a number of new technologies being developed and some platforms opening up to new carriers and vendors.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com

Last edited by kkkid; 04-04-2011 at 03:57 PM..

167 comments for "Android Becomes the Number One Smartphone OS 3/31/2011"

7 years ago '05        #2
kkkid 177 heat pts177 OP
space
space
$3,712 | Props total: 750 750

To add insult to injury:

Windows Phone Will Beat iPhone, IDC Says

3/31/2011

When it comes to the big tech companies, one can comfortably say that 2009 and 2010 have been the ‘Apple years’. The iPad successfully burst open a niche that other large tech firms were hesitant to venture into. The iPhone continued to retain a firm grip on its smart phone market share even in the face of ever growing competition from Android-powered phones.

Yet iPhone fans may be surprised to know that Windows Phone 7 is projected to overtake the iOS by 2015 – just 4 years from now. That is at least according to global market research firm IDC. Android’s blistering pace that pushed Google’s smart phone OS into second place in 2010 is set to propel it to first position by the end of 2011.

[pic - click to view]

IDC expects Android phones to hold 39.5% of the market by the end of this year. After Android, the rest of the 2011 ranking is Symbian OS at 20.9%, iOS at 15.7%, Blackberry at 14.9% and Windows Phone 7/Windows Mobile at 5.5%.

Android’s growth is not surprising and most industry experts saw this as a ‘when’ and not ‘if’ issue. By 2015, Android will be at 45% while iOS will have remained static at 15.3%. But it is the projected climb of Windows Phone 7 up the rankings taking 2nd place by 2015 and grabbing a 20.9% market share that has seen the industry sit up and pay attention. This more so in the context of Microsoft’s lingering inability to replicate its success in the PC market in smart phones.

So where will this growth come from? Well, IDC believes it will have everything to do with the recent announcement by Nokia to drop Symbian and embrace Windows Phone OS. This a.ssumption though that all users of Symbian phones will gladly switch to Windows Phone with little resistance has attracted significant criticism.

In addition, Windows Phone 7 performance over the 6 months that it has been available so far has been short of inspiring. Even with the combined muscle of Microsoft and Nokia, such a drastic jump in the face of the formidable opposition presented by iOS and Android will be an uphill task.
 7 years ago '04        #3
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
It was only a matter of time.

kkkid said:

To add insult to injury:

3/31/2011

When it comes to the big tech companies, one can comfortably say that 2009 and 2010 have been the ‘Apple years’. The iPad successfully burst open a niche that other large tech firms were hesitant to venture into. The iPhone continued to retain a firm grip on its smart phone market share even in the face of ever growing competition from Android-powered phones.

Yet iPhone fans may be surprised to know that Windows Phone 7 is projected to overtake the iOS by 2015 – just 4 years from now. That is at least according to global market research firm IDC. Android’s blistering pace that pushed Google’s smart phone OS into second place in 2010 is set to propel it to first position by the end of 2011.

[pic - click to view]

IDC expects Android phones to hold 39.5% of the market by the end of this year. After Android, the rest of the 2011 ranking is Symbian OS at 20.9%, iOS at 15.7%, Blackberry at 14.9% and Windows Phone 7/Windows Mobile at 5.5%.

Android’s growth is not surprising and most industry experts saw this as a ‘when’ and not ‘if’ issue. By 2015, Android will be at 45% while iOS will have remained static at 15.3%. But it is the projected climb of Windows Phone 7 up the rankings taking 2nd place by 2015 and grabbing a 20.9% market share that has seen the industry sit up and pay attention. This more so in the context of Microsoft’s lingering inability to replicate its success in the PC market in smart phones.

So where will this growth come from? Well, IDC believes it will have everything to do with the recent announcement by Nokia to drop Symbian and embrace Windows Phone OS. This a.ssumption though that all users of Symbian phones will gladly switch to Windows Phone with little resistance has attracted significant criticism.

In addition, Windows Phone 7 performance over the 6 months that it has been available so far has been short of inspiring. Even with the combined muscle of Microsoft and Nokia, such a drastic jump in the face of the formidable opposition presented by iOS and Android will be an uphill task.

Really? Damn. iPhone users still ain't gonna budge. Windows Phone is intriguing, but they need more apps for me. I use a ton of apps. inb4someonecomesinandbringsuphowmanyandroidphonesa reoutthere
 7 years ago '05        #4
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 7 years ago '04        #5
sac-townnigga 
space
space
$528 | Props total: 117 117
Why I don't see this on any other phone website but the source in this thread?
 7 years ago '10        #6
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
its not about the OS. its about what you can do with a phone.

like kuruption said, me, including millions of other iphone users, will not budge.

"if you dont have an iphone... well? you dont have an iphone."
 7 years ago '05        #7
Sivraj 328 heat pts328
space
space
$45,960 | Props total: 10882 10882
Wait...I thought Android took over in late Jan or early Feb of this year.
 7 years ago '05        #8
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,090 | Props total: 10779 10779
My brother has the HD7. I do not enjoy WM7... it's smooth and all but I don't like it's layout and @ having to jailbreak to add ringtones
 7 years ago '04        #9
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 chamboi42o said:
its not about the OS. its about what you can do with a phone.

like kuruption said, me, including millions of other iphone users, will not budge.

"if you dont have an iphone... well? you dont have an iphone."
I hate to say it, but I probably won't either. I really use more apps than the average bear. Those apps that people think are nonsense I use quite a bit.
 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM         #10
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kkkid said:

To add insult to injury:

3/31/2011

[pic - click to view]

I've never seen a Windows Phone 7 being used in person. That should tell you something about how ridiculous this report is.
 7 years ago '10        #11
FrankAndBeans 27 heat pts27
space
space
$4,007 | Props total: 5719 5719
I don't understand why, as an iPhone user, I should be insulted.

7 years ago '05        #12
FalconBuddha 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,617 | Props total: 1690 1690
Ill believe the WM7 when i see it. I dont know anyone who has one, and after playing with it at the sprint store, i cant imagine it really catching on over Android or IOS
 03-31-2011, 07:10 PM         #13
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
And my n*ggas at Ziff Davis come through again.

IDC is a.ssuming that all Nokia users will stay loyal to the brand and become Windows Phone 7 users.

IDC analyst Ramos Llamas said:

Up until the launch of Windows Phone 7 last year, Microsoft has steadily lost market share while other operating systems have brought forth new and appealing experiences. The new alliance brings together Nokia’s hardware capabilities and Windows Phone’s differentiated platform. We expect the first devices to launch in 2012. By 2015, IDC expects Windows Phone to be number 2 operating system worldwide behind Android.

Mary Jo Foley noted:

So how is Windows Phone OS going to catapult to No. 2 in four years? If you look at IDC’s chart, it will largely happen by picking up almost all the Symbian share, according to IDC. IDC is predicting the 20.9 percent Symbian share will be down to .2 percent by 2015. I’m sure Microsoft is counting on getting a hefty share boost from its $1 billion-plus investment in Nokia, but will the Softies manage to hold onto almost all the Symbian base, as Nokia tries to wean them from Symbian? I’d think, given some Nokia users’ skepticism about the sanity of the deal, more than a few might go Android or iOS.

Indeed, IDC’s projections are bunk. For starters, the smartphone industry is moving too fast to make predictions for 2015. But there are a lot of other reasons to question IDC’s a.ssumptions for 2015.

Here are four:

Nokia isn’t likely to hold smartphone share. Let’s see Nokia won’t have a barrage of Windows Phone 7 phones in the market until 2012. Nokia is essentially taking a year off while other handset makers (Samsung, HTC, RIM, Apple, Motorola) keep pumping out smartphones. Nokia is a no-show in the U.S. and its possible that folks that leave the handset maker in 2011 may not come back.
Windows Phone 7 may not appeal to all Symbian users. How do you a.ssume that most Symbian users will go to Microsoft? Because Nokia says so? The logic doesn’t work. Symbian users are likely to watch iOS, RIM’s QNX and Android too. Peer pressure may play a role also.

The smartphone industry moves at light speed and four years is an eternity. Any projection beyond 2012 is suspect to me. Four years ago no one saw Apple’s iOS coming. Android didn’t exist.

IDC’s projection a.ssumes near flawless execution. If Nokia’s timetables slip for Windows Phone 7 devices, it will have to close a larger market share gap by 2015. On the other side, Microsoft has to show it can evolve Windows Phone 7. Neither partner can run in place. More than 20 percent market share in 2015 is aggressive.
 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM         #14
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
As far as Android taking over, there are currently 95 Handsets with another 19 slated to be released in the coming year that are running Android. Wouldn't common sense tell you that they'd eventually take over?

What's comical about it is about 5 of those devices are worth owning. I believe that Android has a superior OS (customization wise, I think the design is horrible), but handset makers rush to create over-specced phones with no real sense of quality.

It really is about Quantity vs. Quality. It's not exactly like you have 95 Android Robots looking down on 1 lowly iPhone. You have like 90 handicapped, disabled Android phones and 5 ready to be forgotten by future releases.

There's problems with iPhones and Apple too and I'm not trying to start iPhone vs Android again (that will start in another thread I'm about to make). I'm just saying duh.

Last edited by Dangerously; 03-31-2011 at 07:50 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #15
Tony_Stylezzz 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,743 | Props total: 159 159
^ I don't know I think its more of them having different kind of android phones to fit different types of people. There's the ones with the weak specs but good enough for people who are beginner(Samsung Intercept), The mid range phones, then the high rate android phones(Atrix, Evo, Nexus). Then you have to take in consideration that not every company doesn't have the same android phones alot of times. But there are some weak phones out of them at the end of the day but it might be because I wont get any of the lower rated phones.
 03-31-2011, 08:50 PM         #16
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Tony_Stylezzz said:
^ I don't know I think its more of them having different kind of android phones to fit different types of people. There's the ones with the weak specs but good enough for people who are beginner(Samsung Intercept), The mid range phones, then the high rate android phones(Atrix, Evo, Nexus). Then you have to take in consideration that not every company doesn't have the same android phones alot of times. But there are some weak phones out of them at the end of the day but it might be because I wont get any of the lower rated phones.
I understand from a business standpoint why Google did this, but when people "boast" about Android, I don't understand why people defend these garbage phones but call the iPhone trash? Doesn't make sense.
 7 years ago '07        #17
Tony_Stylezzz 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,743 | Props total: 159 159
Most people who try to bash the iphone are doing it and by comparing it to the high end android phones. It would be pointless to compare the iphone 4 to something like the moto clik or something like that. But at the end of the day each phone has its own purpose and is aimed at different people. The Iphone 4 is easy to use and fits certain peoples needs, the Moto Clik has a keyboard and fits the peoples need who want a keyboard and is more for the beginners android phone.
 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM         #18
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Tony_Stylezzz said:
Most people who try to bash the iphone are doing it and by comparing it to the high end android phones. It would be pointless to compare the iphone 4 to something like the moto clik or something like that. But at the end of the day each phone has its own purpose and is aimed at different people. The Iphone 4 is easy to use and fits certain peoples needs, the Moto Clik has a keyboard and fits the peoples need who want a keyboard and is more for the beginners android phone.
You're much more reasonable than others who would engage in this conversation so I'm not coming at you. Samsung is really k!lling other Android competitors right now with their hardware. They're probably the closest to Apple in design and innovation, which is easy to do since they manufacture parts of the iPhone.
 7 years ago '05        #19
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8
Charlie Sheen has an Android phone and tablet BTW. iOS lost.

04-01-2011, 12:42 AM         #20
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2 Pistolz said:
Charlie Sheen has an Android phone and tablet BTW. iOS lost.

:dancingcool:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
74 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
183 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
49 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
62 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
20 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy