Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
120 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
43 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
86 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #21
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
Get in a the ice bath pus*y!

7 years ago '08        #22
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
OP, ever try recording your sets to check form? I recorded my deadlift for the first time the other day and noticed my back rounding out pretty bad. Hips were too high, needed more leg drive. Really helps if you don't have knowledgeable people around when you lift.
 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM         #23
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 N/A said:
OP, ever try recording your sets to check form? I recorded my deadlift for the first time the other day and noticed my back rounding out pretty bad. Hips were too high, needed more leg drive. Really helps if you don't have knowledgeable people around when you lift.
not yet. i plan on it when im really starting to hit a wall. when i do the warmup stretches i can see how low im getting in the mirror. i have the people im working with check for two things: make sure im going below parallel, and that the bar is traveling in a straight plane from the middle of my foot. ive also been able to go by feel very well on squat. i can tell if im leaning too far forward, using my back, or not getting enough hip drive... and then make the necessary corrections. i get as low as my body is physically capable, which luckily for me, is below parallel. ive noticed a lot of people at the gym don't go below parallel.

as for the deadlift i can also feel there if my back is rounded. i think my form is good on the deadlift so far. i use leg drive til i get just above the knees and then even my hips out, followed by sticking my chest out, then lower the bar in the reverse order. the bar just seems to want to go in a straight line anyways with more weight on it. i feel like the deadlift is the most simple of all the core lifts. the squat, for me at least, is the most complicated.
 7 years ago '08        #24
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
I feel that, my squat went up pretty quick wheI got my form down. I think its easy to sacrifice form on the deadlift to pull more weight though, especially when Rippetoe says to add 10 lbs every time. Other than that the Starting Strength program is pretty solid.
 04-13-2011, 09:33 PM         #25
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 N/A said:
I feel that, my squat went up pretty quick wheI got my form down. I think its easy to sacrifice form on the deadlift to pull more weight though, especially when Rippetoe says to add 10 lbs every time. Other than that the Starting Strength program is pretty solid.
i agree. im really enjoying this program and am very happy constantly setting new highs for myself. lifting in general is really starting to give me an elated feeling of gratification also.

things that have helped keep my DL form in check are dragging the bar up my shins, and just pretending that my arms are pieces of rope attached to my shoulders. that keeps me from "pulling". if you think of it that way it's pretty hard to mess up the form. imo it's hard to get the form wrong anyways.
 7 years ago '05        #26
Rubix 
space
space
$8,493 | Props total: 825 825
yeah i agree. deadlift form is pretty straight forward. i mean, the only way to pull heavy weight WOULD be to do the lift correctly whereas with squatting, you can still make sizable gains despite cheating. for deadlifts, it's pretty simple - keep your head up, shoulders down, chest out and pretend your pushing the ground away from underneath you. i try to force all my weight on the lateral edges of my feet and my arms are only there to grip the bar..never pulling it.

the hardest lift, imo, is the fu*ken snatch.
 7 years ago '08        #27
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
See, on one of his videos he recommends standing with shins an inch from the bar, bending over and placing your grip, then dropping the hips down till shins touch the bar, which I was doing. I could pull more weight like this but at the expense of not using hams and glutes enough, and relying mostly on lower back muscles. So now I stand back a few inches and set up, so that shoulders are almost over the bar. Still lets me bring the bar up my shins, and forces me to really push with my legs helping to keep my back straight.

I'm an unathletic f*cker anyways, so any lifts I improve on is an achievement lol.
 04-30-2011, 08:36 AM         #28
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've got some new numbers. Still coming along at a nice clip. Progression has been great and pretty linear for the most part, starting to slow down. I was adding 5 lbs. a w/o on squat but that just recently became every other w/o. I can tell it'll be alright there for a while, then it'll probably become 5 lbs. once a week, then once every two weeks, etc. (Should be well into the 300s by then though).

Had to reset on BP to get through 195 and did just that, then had no trouble with 197.5... next stop is 200. That makes me really elated. That's a milestone for me and also a personal best, still have never maxed out on any of the lifts. 5 months ago it was my goal to get there in 6 months, so I beat that by a month.

Had to reset on squat once also, but that's because I went to lift in the morning, and have been w/o at night the previous 8 weeks. Wasn't in the mood and was still tired, had a real sh*tty w/o that day lol. Still went as hard as I could though.

I've still been making 10 pound jumps on my DL, the last one last night, I thought my brain was going to explode through my eyeballs. My face was fu*king beat red, veins I didn't even know I had were popping out everywhere.

Also I started wearing a belt for when I squat and deadlift. Been trying to get 8-9 hours of sleep on my days off working, and 7 on my days working. Diet is on point, cut out the late night carbing too.

Sharing for those who might be interested (since people on here are what put me on to the program), and using this thread as a future reference log.

So through 9 weeks on "Starting Strength" my numbers are looking like (these aren't maxes, only WORKING SETS):

Sqaut: 280 lbs.

Bench: 197.5 lbs.

Deadlift: 355 lbs.

...still have about 43 - 70 weeks to go on the program, but I can without a doubt say that it works.
 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM         #29
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've definitely hit some kind of plateau or wall or something and I could use some helpful advice from my BX familia once again. Bear with me please.

13 weeks in on the program (just for reference)

About two weeks ago I got my working sets of squats up to 305, except I kept missing the last rep in the 3rd set. I figured I would just stay at 305 until I was able to complete all reps in all sets. Then on the next one of the workouts I missed the last rep in the 2nd set, why did this happen, is that normal? I fu*king regressed goddamnit.

I was pissed as fu*k so I took a 3 minute breather and said fu*k it and put 315 on because I'm so close and this is my short term goal. So for the last set I repped 315 3x, which was pretty exciting. The squat workout looked like this:

barx2x5

135x5

225x3

265x2

305x5

305x4

315x3

Since I did this I decided to switch up Bench and Deadlift as well.

Bench was:

barx2x5

135x5

165x3

185x2

205x5

215x3

225x2

Couldn't believe I got 225 up 2x, 4 months ago I couldn't even bang it out once.

Deadlift went:

225x2

315x1

405x1

Goddamn I couldn't believe I got 405 up once.

This was all on monday keep in mind (The "A" w/o). Wednesday was the B workout I reset squat to 295 and barely, just barely hit the last rep for that. Overhead press I got up to 135 last Friday, that was exciting, banged out all 15 reps with minimal problems. Power clean I had at 140 for the last 6 weeks because I just keep having trouble with it if I add anymore weight.

Yesterday was by far the worst workout I've had since I started this program and started lifting in general. I had this face at the end of the workout.

I did my squats at 300 and missed the last rep... and then for some reason my left arm started to bother me, like it just felt sore and sort of stinging. I did my warmup sets of bench and then on the first working set of 205 I couldn't get the last rep up and my arm was k!lling me. I ditched the rest of the bench workout so I didn't further injur my arm.

Deadlift was the last lift and I was supposed to be at my working set of 395, I got it up to my shins twice and it just wasn't fu*king happening. Didn't even try to do anymore.

I've been taking that Jack3d and BCAA tabs before I workout and I'm not sure about that Jack3d, I felt my heart was going to explode between my 2nd and 3rd sets. It was racing like a rabbit. Think I'm going to ix-nay that for a while. I was super pumped before I got in there, then after squats I wasn't motivated for sh*t. Also the gym is closed on Monday for Memorial day so I'm going to use that day for extra healing and rest. This will only be the 2nd day of the the program I've missed.

So I guess my wondering is, is all of this normal? How come my fu*king arm hurt so bad after squatting? You don't even use your arms for squat.

Any knowledgeable input is greatly appreciated.

My 3 main lifts are now:

Squat - 315

Bench - 225

Deadlift - 405

very happy about that... also I've been eating the same for this bulk and I've some how lost 5 lbs.
 7 years ago '08        #30
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
Just read an article yesterday about being able to add strength without muscle mass (not indefinitely of course). Maybe its time to bump the calories up and start adding some weight.
 05-28-2011, 04:03 PM         #31
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 N/A said:
Just read an article yesterday about being able to add strength without muscle mass (not indefinitely of course). Maybe its time to bump the calories up and start adding some weight.
Link? So maybe I should eat more? I had a feeling my diet was eventually going to need to be upped, but I didn't think so soon. Elaborate?

I guess my main concern is why my body felt so stiff and sore, and just quit on me midway through the w/o yesterday. I had 0 energy and motivation after squats. After reading that "take a week off" article I'm going to do that when i go on vacation the last week of June. I'm kind of glad the gym is closed this Monday because I feel like I need an extra day of recovery.

I mean sh*t's not supposed to go backwards, right?
 7 years ago '04        #32
space
space
Sounds bout right at this stage in the program, your weight and current lifts you should be hitting the wall. What I would do and have done is up the frequency by switching to an upper-lower split.
 05-28-2011, 05:27 PM         #33
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 enetblazin4eva said:
Sounds bout right at this stage in the program, your weight and current lifts you should be hitting the wall. What I would do and have done is up the frequency by switching to an upper-lower split.
Could you elaborate? I thought I was supposed to stick to this program for around a year?

Some other questions I have are:

How much higher can I expect my working sets to go up?

How much higher can I expect my maxes to go up?
 7 years ago '04        #34
space
space
 Sid 6point7 said:
Could you elaborate? I thought I was supposed to stick to this program for around a year?

Some other questions I have are:

How much higher can I expect my working sets to go up?

How much higher can I expect my maxes to go up?
Stick with it until you stop making linear progress every week and not missing lifts week to week which it seems like you are. When I've done 5x5 I usually stop making progress around weeks 9-10. Other options you have are de-loading or switching things up entirely.

Don't expect to stick with this for another 13 weeks and be squatting 500lbs.
 7 years ago '11        #35
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,448 | Props total: 717 717
What's this starting strength program? Is it worth looking into?
 7 years ago '08        #36
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
 Sid 6point7 said:
Link? So maybe I should eat more? I had a feeling my diet was eventually going to need to be upped, but I didn't think so soon. Elaborate?

I guess my main concern is why my body felt so stiff and sore, and just quit on me midway through the w/o yesterday. I had 0 energy and motivation after squats. After reading that "take a week off" article I'm going to do that when i go on vacation the last week of June. I'm kind of glad the gym is closed this Monday because I feel like I need an extra day of recovery.

I mean sh*t's not supposed to go backwards, right?

Long read but lots of good info.
 05-30-2011, 09:37 PM         #37
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NateRight said:
What's this starting strength program? Is it worth looking into?
I 110% think this program is worth looking into. I recommend it.
 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM         #38
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm going to stay on starting strength for another month and see If I can make some more gains, of any kind. I'm sure I can get my bench and OP to go up about another 10 lbs.

But I'm going to need to start looking at new programs. Enet you suggested maybe an upper/lower split or deloading type of workout. Could you be more specific?

Anyone else have any suggestions for follow up routines to starting strength? 'Preciate it.
 7 years ago '08        #39
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
5/3/1 maybe?
 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM         #40
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 N/A said:
5/3/1 maybe?
Ok, thanks mayne. By the way, how's your progress been on starting strength? I know we started somewhat around the same time frame.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
55 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
98 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
85 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
290 comments
1 day ago