question about adding weight on "starting strength"

most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
77 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
82 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM         #1
7990 pageviews
87 comments

Sid 6point7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
question about adding weight on "starting strength"

so i finally missed a couple of reps in my 2nd and 3rd set last night. i missed my last rep in my 2nd and 4th on my 3rd set. form got a little wobbly too.

ive been on starting strength for officially just over 4 weeks. when i started i was squatting 175 lbs. when i missed yesterday i was squatting 240 lbs. i finished my sets at 235 lbs. i feel a lot stronger for sure, but i don't know if this is a stall or if im hitting an early wall or what. i copped 1.25 weights in case i need to start upping in 2.5 lb. increments, but i don't think it's got to that point yet, but im not sure, im still a complete noob to lifting. i feel like i can still make 5 lb. increases but rip says that will eventually slow down. do i add 5 lbs. ever other workout now?

im trying to figure out why i missed and what i should put the weight at tomorrow. do i try 240 again? should i reset a little lower, then push forward?

ive been eating enough and trying to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep a night, more like close to 9 on days i don't have to work, but sometimes its about 8 hours. so i dont think its that but im not sure...

it discouraged me enough to the point where it then fu*ked up my bench press, but my dead lift still moved up. this week i was supposed to have my bench at working sets of 200. my deadlift is over 300 lbs. though... been bumping that up 20 lbs. every workout, 15 lbs. the last workout.

thanks for the positive input people. you know im willing to listen and know i appreciate it.

Last edited by Sid 6point7; 03-30-2011 at 09:33 PM..

87 comments for "question about adding weight on "starting strength""

7 years ago '04        #2
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
You should repeat the missed lift(s) next session(s) and continue with the linear progression on the successful lifts. If failure was to occur again, next session lower the weights to the last completed session.

Make sure you get some knowledgeable person to watch your squats and make sure you are getting proper depth. Quarter squatting is a hard habit to break.
 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM         #3
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 enetblazin4eva said:
You should repeat the missed lift(s) next session(s) and continue with the linear progression on the successful lifts. If failure was to occur again, next session lower the weights to the last completed session.

Make sure you get some knowledgeable person to watch your squats and make sure you are getting proper depth. Quarter squatting is a hard habit to break.
props mang. i just got back from the gym and that is exactly what i did. i just got a little discouraged. i also made sure to get adequate rest.

i think i just had a sh*tty day on monday and wasn't feeling it. i make sure to go ATG all the time. i get as low as i can and use the rebound to propel myself up. im forced to squat in front of a mirror and that sh*t fu*ks me up.

next up is 245 lbs.
 03-31-2011, 03:11 AM         #4
MrAmazing  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
GL bro...once you hit 315 you feel like superman
 7 years ago '05        #5
Rubix 
space
space
$8,493 | Props total: 825 825
 Sid 6point7 said:
props mang. i just got back from the gym and that is exactly what i did. i just got a little discouraged. i also made sure to get adequate rest.

i think i just had a sh*tty day on monday and wasn't feeling it. i make sure to go ATG all the time. i get as low as i can and use the rebound to propel myself up. im forced to squat in front of a mirror and that sh*t fu*ks me up.

next up is 245 lbs.
Just a tip - don't use the rebound to propel yourself. Squat tempo should be 2:2:1.
 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM         #6
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MrAmazing said:
GL bro...once you hit 315 you feel like superman
thanks mang. i was elated when i did working sets at 225 lol
 7 years ago '04        #7
space
space
Are you using the high-bar or low-bar technique? I thought Starting Strength recommends low-bar squats?
 03-31-2011, 05:13 PM         #8
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 enetblazin4eva said:
Are you using the high-bar or low-bar technique? I thought Starting Strength recommends low-bar squats?
yes, im doing low bar squats. thats what starting strength teaches.

[video - click to view]

04-12-2011, 03:27 PM         #9
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ok you guys i could use some input again if you want to help out with some of your knowledge. i feel like im having trouble with my BP... well i am having trouble with my BP.

end of march i was at sets across of 195. i had a.ssistance on my last rep on the 2nd set, and my 4th and 5th reps on my 3rd set. i don't think you're supposed to keep moving the weight up unless you can complete all reps in the sets by yourself, if i remember correctly from the reading.

so then i reset to 185. did all 3 sets no problem. then on the next workout i did 190, and only needed a minimal tap on the last rep on the last set. so instead of going directly to 195 yesterday i went up to 192.5, and i had the same fu*king problem... missed the last rep on the 2nd, and #4 & #5 on the 3rd set. its really fu*king pissing me off, like it's not discouraging me or anything but i really want to get to sets across of 200 in the worst way.

and rubix thanks for the 2:2:1 tip, ive been doing that and my working sets of squats are now at 265. i feel like i can fu*king smell the 3rd plate ready to go on.

also got my DL up to 315, my PC up to 135 and OP up to 125. i know thats not sh*t compared to a lot of you but each one of these are all personal bests and i keep beating it each time i go.

been getting 7.5-9 hours of sleep a night as often as i can, 1g of protein per 1 lb of bw.

and helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sid 6point7; 04-12-2011 at 06:52 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #10
space
space
Whats your weight and daily caloric intake compared to when you began Starting Strength?
 04-12-2011, 04:05 PM         #11
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
220 right now

212 when i started (Feb 28), i was a 180 somewhere around oct.4 ... ive got the exact stats at home.

ive only been counting protein... i get my fats from fish oil, pecans, almonds, organic peanut butter, whole milk, and cheese sticks.

for carbs i do whole milk with cereal like shredded wheat, wheat chex, country kitchen 100% whole wheat bread, yogurt.
 7 years ago '04        #12
space
space
Sounds like since you're starting to move some weight and failing on lifts your CNS is not recovering as fast as you would like it to. Proper rest and caloric intake is key here.

What recovery methods are you using to enhance recovery?
 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM         #13
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
after i workout i have a double scoop of 100% whey, and i just finished my loading phase of creatine monohydrate this past week. so for the next 3 weeks ill be taking 5g of creatine a day, directly after on days i workout. i also got some time released MHP BCAA tabs ive been taking before and after w/o this past week. i have cottage cheese after i workout too, and maybe a couple swigs of whole milk. then im off to bed and on days i work the most sleep i can get is 7-7.5 hours of sleep. on my days off i usually sleep 8-9 hours.

some of my w/o's come after my work day, which lasts 12 hours. don't know if that makes a difference, and honestly, im going to have to google CNS cause i don't even know what that means.

im really in to this though and want to learn. its like a chemistry and science to transform the human body. i love it.
 7 years ago '07        #14
RedMonkeyJunkie 11 heat pts11
space
space
$4,999 | Props total: 1374 1374
Sometimes when I'd hit a stopping point on a certain muscle like what your doing, hitting heavier weights with different exercise for same area will help me move up in weight.

i.e you normally do 60lb db chest press, i'd try to go 65/70, things like that have helped move get past a plateau
 7 years ago '04        #15
space
space
Central Nervous System
The central nervous system is composed of the brain and spinal cord. Your brain and spinal cord serve as the main "processing center" for the entire nervous system, and control all the workings of your body.

Limiting stress is another major factor with CNS recovery. Using basic pre-hab methods like ice(ice bath) & heat(epsom salt bath) also help greatly with overall recovery.

Are you getting a pre-workout meal after work?

RedMonkeyJunkie said:
Sometimes when I'd hit a stopping point on a certain muscle like what your doing, hitting heavier weights with different exercise for same area will help me move up in weight.

i.e you normally do 60lb db chest press, i'd try to go 65/70, things like that have helped move get past a plateau
There would be no point in following a strength training regiment that has exercises, sets, and reps set in stone.

If you can't lift 65 you can't lift 70?

Last edited by enetblazin4eva; 04-12-2011 at 05:44 PM..
 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM         #16
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RedMonkeyJunkie said:

see thats another question i have because (and i think youre right) the program suggests doing only core/compound lifts (Squat, BP, DL, OP, PC), but also includes a useful a.ssistances section which includes db press, variations of the core lifts, chinups, dips, etc.

so after the "a" day i do 2x8 dips, and on "b" day i do 2x8 chinups. im not sure at what time i should use the a.ssistance exercises because i don't want them to intervene with the program, or if adding in too many exercises, or adding the wrong kind will cause my recovery to take longer which in turn would hinder my recovery rate, further disallowing me from making as linear progress as possible.

the program suggests resetting the weight to which you were capable of completing previously, and then trying again the next workout... so im a.ssuming thats what i should do.
 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM         #17
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 enetblazin4eva said:
Central Nervous System
The central nervous system is composed of the brain and spinal cord. Your brain and spinal cord serve as the main "processing center" for the entire nervous system, and control all the workings of your body.

Limiting stress is another major factor with CNS recovery. Using basic pre-hab methods like ice(ice bath) & heat(epsom salt bath) also help greatly with overall recovery.

Are you getting a pre-workout meal after work?

There would be no point in following a strength training regiment that has exercises, sets, and reps set in stone.

If you can't lift 65 you can't lift 70?
I usually lift around 7:30 pm and i usually have around 5:30 pm, for example... banana, peanut butter sandwich, lean meats such as salmon, chicken brea$ts, and water. i rely on that for a good w/o, which i feel has been beneficial so far. im not sure if the time window between the meal and the w/o is too vast or what though. i also have a protein shake 20 minutes prior to w/o.
 7 years ago '05        #18
Rubix 
space
space
taking contrast showers is another recovery method often overlooked. i love em.
 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM         #19
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good sh*t rubix. im going to try that tonight when i get home.

so would you say you do 1 minute hot, 1 minute cold, for 3-5 cycles? ending on a cold cycle?
 7 years ago '05        #20
Rubix 
space
space
sure, you can do 1:1. personally, i couldn't hack 1 minute cold showers when i first started off so i did a 30 second cold, 30 second hot and right now, i do 45 second cold, 45 second hot. im not entirely sure if there's a "recommended" interval to use...i do this for about 6-7 minutes so yeah roughly ~6-7 cycles ending on cold. feels great on the muscles and overall mood after a tough workout.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
79 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now