why derrick rose shouldnt win mvp (good read)

most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
220 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
84 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA What’s waiting for LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball in Lithuania
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Dec 12 - The Alabama Special Election Live
160 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM         #1
6808 pageviews
205 comments

KingDwightII 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
why derrick rose shouldnt win mvp (good read)

By Dan Le Batard
dlebatard@miamiherald.com
These are the numbers/facts without manipulation:

Through Saturday, Player X has averaged 22.1 points on .444 shooting with 4.8 rebounds, 7.1 a.ssists and 1.5 steals. He has been his conference’s player of the week four times.

Player Y has averaged 24.9 points on .439 shooting with 4.2 rebounds, 7.9 a.ssists and 1.0 steals. He has been his conference’s player of the week twice.

They are essentially the same player, in other words. Player X is more efficient and a better rebounder and thief, but Player Y scores one more basket per game. Yet Player X isn’t even considered the most valuable player on his own team. And Player Y is about to be named the most valuable player of the entire league.

Why Y?

Perception is not reality. Reality is reality. Player X (Russell Westbrook) isn’t viewed like Player Y (Derrick Rose) because winning alters all, even facts, even if one team is 53-19 and the other is 47-24. Exceed our expectations, and we’ll give you trophies you don’t deserve instead of admitting that our expectations were, um, wrong.

Rose has thorns

The Bulls’ offense is statistically mediocre; Rose is that offense’s best player. The Bulls’ defense is best in the league; Rose might be that defense’s least important piece. But throw all the ingredients together in the Winning Pot, make a stew with a flavor that surprises us and you, too, can taste like MVP.

Rose benefits from the greatness of his teammates, but Westbrook is harmed by the greatness of his more famous one (Kevin Durant). Would Westbrook be MVP if he simply had Chicago’s defense? Would he be a bigger scorer than Rose if he didn’t have to share with Durant? The only reason Rose scores 2.7 points more than Westbrook per game? He has taken 200 more shots.

They should just rename the MVP trophy The We Didn’t Expect To See Rose Sitting Atop LeBron In The Standings Award.

A million variables go into winning, but baseball is so much better at isolating and measuring those variables than basketball. Felix Hernandez won Cy Young with a 13-12 record in last place because baseball voters understand, after a mathematical paradigm shift called sabermetrics, how much Hernandez can and can’t control. And baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport anyway. Albert Pujols is alone in that batter’s box, and it doesn’t matter if he listens to his manager or likes his third baseman. Hernandez controlled that baseball only when he held it; he couldn’t do anything about how terrible his teammates were at scoring.

Group effort

But basketball’s five are linked like fingers in a fist, and isolating performance is next to impossible, especially on defense. So intangibles get a.ssigned to the winning instead of facts or data, and Rose has in his favor the Hey-I-Didn’t-Expect-The-Bulls-To-Be-Good metric that LeBron or Dwight Howard or Kobe or any of the Spurs or Mavs or Celtics can’t have. It is absurd that he will soon have as many MVPs as Shaquille O’Neal, but not as absurd as Steve Nash having twice as many as Shaq.

The Bulls aren’t exceeding expectations because Rose is a “leader” or “knows how to win” or is “clutch.” They are exceeding expectations because no team in the league strangles the opponent better on defense. You want to give the Bulls coach of the year for that? Cool. Defensive player of the year? Fine. But MVP for the league’s 20th-ranked offense? The one scoring less than Indiana, Toronto, Philadelphia, the Clippers and Sacramento?

Rose has been named the best player in his conference two weeks this season. Two. So, too, has LeMarcus Aldridge. How can you be the most valuable for the entire season when you were only the most valuable in your conference two weeks? Almost everywhere outside of sports and Visa commercials, “best” and “most valuable” are supposed to be synonyms. And try paying your Visa bill with a check that reads “priceless,” and see how that works for you.

None of this is meant as an indictment of Rose.

He’s just not the best one.

Which means he’s not the most valuable.

Read more:
[pic - click to view]

For Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose, winning alters all numbers - Dan Le Batard - MiamiHerald.com

i must say i gotta agree with this...player of the week only twice! and lebrons numbers are crushing his..smdh!imageimage
Lurker gave props

205 comments for "why derrick rose shouldnt win mvp (good read)"

7 years ago '09        #2
TheG1ftedOne 4 heat pts
space
space
$8,183 | Props total: 24 24
if only ifs meant anything...
 7 years ago '05        #3
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,734 | Props total: 12554 12554
Rose benefits from the greatness of his teammates,
Stop reading after that.. Not a single All-Star on this team besides Rose.. now he benefits from their greatness..

Of course a Miami journalist doesn't want Rose to win. But he will..
 7 years ago '09        #4
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$48,990 | Props total: 22271 22271
great read, he's gonna get it regardless tho, bulls are the new flavor of the month
 7 years ago '07        #5
st21 1233 heat pts1233
space
space
$55,459 | Props total: 43424 43424
taking den lebetard serious is like taking colin cowherd serious.
 7 years ago '07        #6
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,377 | Props total: 13033 13033
it basically is only because nobody expected the bulls as a team to be this good and he's their best player. his numbers r good but not eye-popping, but he makes the best case for that reason alone.
 7 years ago '10        #7
WC323 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$311 | Props total: 20 20
Stopped reading when I saw who wrote the article...
 7 years ago '04        #8
knowughetto 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,430 | Props total: 11 11
Stopped reading after this:
Rose benefits from the greatness of his teammates
 7 years ago '04        #9
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
Dan LeBastard = :thumbsdown:
 7 years ago '09        #10
xRapHeadx 17 heat pts17
space
space
$12,268 | Props total: 1386 1386
 Hold That said:
Stop reading after that.. Not a single All-Star on this team besides Rose.. now he benefits from their greatness..

Of course a Miami journalist doesn't want Rose to win. But he will..
What this gentleman said.
 7 years ago '06        #11
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
Is it just me, or does the author sound a little salty? I'm all for looking at this thing objectively but damn...

I'm sorry but Rose does a lot more for the Bulls than just being a stat wh0ore. He's the unquestioned leader of that team who has played big all year long. The way he plays dictates the outcome of each game. Yeah, Westbrook is muffled because of the presence of KD but the presence of KD also gives him an out on less than impressive nights because KD can absolutely take over a game if needed. Rose has good players around him but none with that ability.

All in all, Westbrook does deserve more mention than he's getting but lets not act like D. Rose isn't deserving.
 7 years ago '05        #12
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,443 | Props total: 7086 7086
In my opinion, Dwight is the true MVP this year. Without him Orlando would be absolutely horrendous. But I like Rose so I don't mind him getting it. Feel bad for Dwight, though.
 7 years ago '07        #13
deemoney23 15 heat pts15
space
space
$1,746 | Props total: 7 7
Dan LeBatard is an idiot... #thatisall
 7 years ago '04        #14
ggfresh 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,752 | Props total: 94 94
sorry but rose has the bulls 1st place in the east when people thought they would be 5 or 6 seed with a stacked eastern conference.
 7 years ago '04        #15
knowughetto 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,430 | Props total: 11 11
 Reppindaburghh said:
In my opinion, Dwight is the true MVP this year. Without him Orlando would be absolutely horrendous. But I like Rose so I don't mind him getting it. Feel bad for Dwight, though.
While leading his team to the 4th best record in the east and 8th best in the league..

Iverson did more with less in comparison to Howard...

I find it funny that people are still saying that he has no help...Like Nelson, J.Rich, Hedo, Arenas, Red!ck, Bass is not help...
 7 years ago '07        #16
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
Denial is not a river in Africa bulls fans
 7 years ago '10        #17
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,854 | Props total: 20820 20820
Dan LeBastard?

really that fool?
 7 years ago '07        #18
iswerve 123 heat pts123
space
space
$4,654 | Props total: 7261 7261
its written by a miami journalist wtf u expect
 7 years ago '05        #19
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,443 | Props total: 7086 7086
 knowughetto said:
While leading his team to the 4th best record in the east and 8th best in the league..

Iverson did more with less in comparison to Howard...

I find it funny that people are still saying that he has no help...Like Nelson, J.Rich, Hedo, Arenas, Red!ck, Bass is not help...
His entire team was swapped out for a new team halfway through the season.
 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM         #20
TheBallDontLie  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm not reading this load of crap. Tell the writer to actually watch games.
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
46 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
218 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
42 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
56 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
151 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
191 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
322 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
139 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy