Mar 24 - Brawl Over Spaghetti In NYC Subway Ignites Debate

most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
169 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
23 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
188 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #1
5963 pageviews
105 comments

SM 38189 heat pts38189
space
space
$127,957 | Props total: 67535 67535
Mar 24 - Brawl Over Spaghetti In NYC Subway Ignites Debate

[video - click to view]

NEW YORK (AP) -- The city's subway riders can handle panhandlers, rats and tuneless street musicians. But eating spaghetti in a crowded subway car? Well, that's just going too far.

An Internet video that shows New Yorkers brawling over a passenger's right to nosh noodles on the subway has ignited a debate about what people should and shouldn't do in the nation's largest mass transit system.

The video, posted online anonymously, picks up mid-argument, as a woman twirls onto her fork spaghetti from a takeout container and a passenger across the aisle chides her.

"What kind of animals eat on the train like that?" says the woman across the aisle.

The diner snaps back with an epithet, and the exchange quickly degenerates into a fistf!ght.

"Chill out!" shouts a man as he tries to pull apart the two combatants.

The video has touched a nerve in a stressed-out city where the commutes are difficult and no perceived slight goes undocumented, thanks to cellphone video cameras.

On Internet sites, hundreds of viewers of the spaghetti skirmish debated the smell and the spilling of subterranean snackers. One YouTube contributor mixed video of the f!ght with scenes from the violent 1983 Al Pacino crime drama "Scarface."

Some New York commuters called for a subway system ban on food, like the ones enforced in Washington, San Francisco and other cities. The Port Authority Trans-Hudson trains, which run between New York and New Jersey, already prohibit eating.

"I think it's nasty when people eat," said Sam Ramos, as he rode a 5 train to the Bronx. "They should go somewhere else."

But at the other end of the car, John Augustine dug into a cup of chili and said people should mind their own business.

"People will f!ght about all kinds of things," Augustine said. "Are we going to legislate against every one of them?"

Littering, playing loud music and smoking are prohibited in the subway system. On Wednesday, the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs the city's subway and bus system, said police have bigger problems to deal with than patrolling the trains for chowhounds.

"We all have a responsibility to treat our subway system and our fellow riders with respect," chairman Jay Walder said. "This is a system that carries 5 million people a day, and I'm not sure that a ban on food is really practical or enforceable."

MTA board member Andrew Albert said such a rule would cut into food sales at newsstands, which pay rent to the agency. But another board member, Doreen Frasca, suggested the MTA should impose the rule on the Manhattan Second Avenue line, which is under construction, as a pilot program.

Some riders recently have taken enforcing subway etiquette into their own hands. Last year, artist Jason Shelowitz posted dozens of official-looking signs in stations warning commuters not to clip their nails on the subway.

"The sound is incredibly annoying and the nail bits go flying all over the place," the signs said.

"Also, keep your finger out of your nose," another sign said.

A Brooklyn graphic designer, Elizabeth Carey Smith, kept track of how many times fellow commuters offered her a seat on eight subway lines while she was pregnant. She posted a series of pie charts with the results online earlier this month. The G train, which connects Brooklyn and Queens, was the worst; the 1 and 6, linking Manhattan and the Bronx, and the A, running through Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, were the best.

Some riders say the underground dining is just part of New York, where a dose of weirdness comes free with every $2.50 subway fare.

During a 15-minute ride on the 6 train this week, a passenger could see: a man descending a stairway while baaing like a sheep, a pair of old men belting out "Papa was a Rolling Stone" at triple its normal speed and a woman in a huge, fur-lined parka hissing at two large rats on a platform.

Until smartphones invaded New York, such sights could only be enjoyed by locals or in the Metropolitan Diary feature in Monday's New York Times, where readers send in anecdotes about the city. But now the oddness is online for all to see.

In recent months, amateur videographers have recorded a rat scampering up the leg of a sleeping passenger, a shoving match between a passenger and a belligerent saxophonist and a commuter train barreling along an elevated track in Harlem with one of its doors stuck open.

Some riders wondered if the spaghetti scuffle was staged. Most have seen much worse violators of etiquette than the noodle-nosher in the video, said subway rider Shash Lachhman.

"I once saw somebody eating barbecued chicken with no napkins," Lachhman said. "But I still don't think you need a rule against it."

[pic - click to view]

News from The a.ssociated Press

105 comments for "Mar 24 - Brawl Over Spaghetti In NYC Subway Ignites Debate"

7 years ago '04        #2
jlandryst 1545 heat pts1545
space
space
$3,705 | Props total: 10 10
NYC subway the best free entertainment in the world
 7 years ago '07        #3
JohnDoe 207 heat pts207
space
space
$12,035 | Props total: 3900 3900
I did like that when s**t did go down the guy in the grey jacket stepped between them......that old lady was gonna get lumped up

on some ol'

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by JohnDoe; 03-24-2011 at 11:00 AM..
 03-24-2011, 10:57 AM         #4
mixtape mutt 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that dumb fat broad need to shut the f**k up and mind her business. how the f**k does eating spaghetti interfere with her commute. callin ppl animals when she look like a f**kin hippo
 7 years ago '05        #5
Gateway972 47 heat pts47
space
space
$2,688 | Props total: 343 343
A Brooklyn graphic designer, Elizabeth Carey Smith, kept track of how many times fellow commuters offered her a seat on eight subway lines while she was pregnant. She posted a series of pie charts with the results online earlier this month. The G train, which connects Brooklyn and Queens, was the worst; the 1 and 6, linking Manhattan and the Bronx, and the A, running through Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, were the best.
So people have to offer a seat to someone because there pregnant if you want to sit down drive a car. Would you offer your couch to people you dont know to sleep on if they were pregnant?
 7 years ago '08        #6
El_Maravilloso1 
space
space
$3,346 | Props total: 408 408
 jlandryst said:
NYC subway the best free entertainment in the world
this weirdest s**t happens in them trains
 7 years ago '06        #7
mr.Gadget 
space
space
$112 | Props total: 0 0
i never eat on a train, i think its disgusting. Your touching the same handles, seats everyone else has.. Your inside a closed environment nobody wanna smell your f**king food.
 7 years ago '09        #8
HennyHeat 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,394 | Props total: 632 632
 Gateway972 said:
So people have to offer a seat to someone because there pregnant if you want to sit down drive a car. Would you offer your couch to people you dont know to sleep on if they were pregnant?
No but if you are a young man or woman and healthy... I would hope you have the courtesy to let a pregnant women sit on a train... I don't care if she was traveling one stop
 7 years ago '04        #9
Shea-bird 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,725 | Props total: 381 381
My man in the gray jacket saved her life.
 7 years ago '04        #10
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
at this not being the worst thing I've seen on the subway...I need to start shooting video of some of the wild s**t i've seen riding the train
 7 years ago '04        #11
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
I'm surprised they don't have a ban on eating already. It would probably cut down on the rats.
 7 years ago '08        #12
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
ppl need to learn to mind their business...how hard is it? what does a person eating food have to do with you?

then had the nerve to call them "animals"? we already know what that was about....it doesn't even have to be said.
 7 years ago '07        #13
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,600 | Props total: 913 913
man some retarded s**t goes down on the train. I've seen mothaf**kas spit in the face of complete strangers over minor a.ss n*gga moments. Even still tho, idk what that woman was thinking. people on the train in ny barely say one word to each other. just get on and get off. If I'm eating, I'm eating. I go straight from class to work with barely enough time for a commute n if someone said I couldn't eat on that trip I'd be late to work every day.

wish a muthaf**ka would say "u can't eat here".

Last edited by Jayceon; 03-24-2011 at 12:48 PM..
 7 years ago '08        #14
Imagin3 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,118 | Props total: 2650 2650
 HHS said:
I'm surprised they don't have a ban on eating already. It would probably cut down on the rats.
it wouldnt.
anyway, people are on the trains for hours, how you gonna tell them not to eat?
and that white b**ch deserved the beat down IMO.
how you just gonna come out your mouth sideways and call people animals when they aint done s**t to you?
n*ggas swear they god and s**t
 7 years ago '04        #15
restless4207 
space
space
$2,713 | Props total: 14 14
 Suka Repellent said:
I did like that when s**t did go down the guy in the grey jacket stepped between them......that old lady was gonna get lumped up

on some ol'

[pic - click to view]

lol wtf where is that from for reals
 7 years ago '04        #16
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 Imagin3 said:
it wouldnt.
anyway, people are on the trains for hours, how you gonna tell them not to eat?
Other cities do it.
 7 years ago '08        #17
get_ate 
space
space
$1,848 | Props total: 399 399
 HHS said:
Other cities do it.
The operative word being 'other'.
 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM         #18
80sbabyent 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This has nothing on Bloody Loco!.. remember that name b, write that s**t down As - f**king - Sap.
 7 years ago '08        #19
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
 get_ate said:
The operative word being 'other'.
 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM         #20
N Nyce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fat lady was just hungry and jealous she wasnt grubbin spaghetti.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
204 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
79 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy