Lupe Fiasco Reacts To First #1 Debut

most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
29 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
77 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
60 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM         #81
JaeRell 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Too bad the album sucks.
 7 years ago '04        #82
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,799 | Props total: 1815 1815
 niceguy954 said:
if thats the case why didn't they just make lupe go gold the first week??
because that shyt wouldn't have been believable, they can't make it obvious that they're buying albums or why not have Jay-Z sell 1 mill in a week, or kanye sell 2 mill in a week? Interscope might as well ship Eminem Triple Platinum then.

Curtisimo said:
This is just redicilous. Nobody actually has proof of this happening to any specific album or record company doing this.
Sure no one has photo documented, receipt scanned, and secretly voice recorded a testimony by the top label presidents but there's constantly been articles about everyone from former label exec's, to employees, to retailers to even artists admitting the label buys albums. 50 has said it, Jay has said it, Budden has said it, but here are just a couple of the many articles that have came out in past years.

Curtisimo said:
Also correct me if I'm wrong Atlantic, Defjam etc isn't a distribution company (they probably have a distribuition sector for unpopular projects) so they themselves don't ship the cd's to retailers to even buy them back.
Atlantic and Def Jam both do their own distribution, go check if you dont believe me

Curtisimo said:
And RIAA platinum and gold statuses count on records shiped not scaned but even then
The Company actually loses money when that situation occurs where retailers deny shipments of albums or they sell them back (which rarely happens).
The retailer is either getting those albums for free (which means no cost to them) or getting a promised buy back for another favor from the label or threatened with a repercussion as the article statse, either way they are getting something to benefit them in return, why would they not go along with that business relationship?

Curtisimo said:
Also if this was a sure fire marketing tactic why isn't this being done on almost every project that is anticipated???
No one said it was 100% sure fire, you do it where you see fit, you dont just throw all your money into marketing something, you pick and choose wisely, that's basic business marketing.

Curtisimo said:
How come poeple say the record company bought some albums for Jay-z but not for an artist like Redman who was on the same damn label?
who in the hell is watching or caring about Redman's numbers ? dude probably only does 80k first week nowadays, so if they did decide to inflate his numbers anything around 200k for him and it's gonna be obvious it's BS. Once again no one is gonna look at the label bad if Redman flops as much as they would if Jay or Kanye flopped, there's not even expectations for Redman, when was the last time he had a song on the charts?

Curtisimo said:
My conclusion is people say this s**t just to hate on artist record sales but there's really no proof nor does it make any econimical sense to buy your own product back even if it doesn't cost you anything.

How does getting promotion and good publicity for your company at no cost NOT make economical sense???

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-17-2011 at 04:22 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #83
RRyderz3 
space
space
$278 | Props total: 0 0
 CTre said:
That theory makes no sense.. The Label would just be wasting money.. You think Atlantic is going to spend money on buying albums just so Lupe Fiasco will make a certain type of music while they're not making any extra profit in the process of them doing this because they bought the albums their selves..? LOL WTF... No.. they wanted him to make music that sells.. it's simple..

7 years ago '04        #84
CTre 22 heat pts22
space
space
$33,269 | Props total: 2840 2840
lol @ people still acting like Lupe can't sell 200k in his first week without the label buying.. the dude had a song and video for the twilight movie s**t for gods sake.. White people like this guy.. Superstar and more opened him up to an wider audience
 7 years ago '04        #85
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,752 | Props total: 1568 1568
 Ace2125 said:
thats where your wrong son. lupe was the most anticipated artist for the year. i would have went and bought his album but knowing his label took controll of it and he didnt he even like it i save my money. I bought the cool because it was real hiphop so stop a.ssuming and all them n*ggas you name had there time its lupe's time
wTF does that mean?!? only in hip hop does stupid s**t like this gets said they are still making good music they are still making real hip hop by yall definition so unless you just didn't dig that artist why wouldn't you support it? there's no time limit o this s**t thats the difference between the rock crowd and the rap crowd yall n*gga too trendy.

I can be in the rock bars and they'll play all the new s**t for the kids but as soon as some old metallica or deftones comes on that same young crowd goes f**kin nuts outta respect for the music I was at the club last week and they played waka,lil jon and B.O.B in a row lil n*ggas singing along word for word then the DJ threw on B.O.B from outkast and a lil n*gga actually said "cut these old broke n*ggas off" WTF this is why hip hop is in the state thats it in

REAL FANS SUPPORT THE MUSIC POINT BLANK
 7 years ago '04        #86
Hardkore 10 heat pts10
space
space
$18,900 | Props total: 1128 1128
 MOTM said:
n*gga sound happy as hell lol
i noticed that.

i thought he would make a public statement like, "you two hundred thousand people who purchased my album...please return it and get your refund. i do not support this and do not want to make a penny from it." - lupe.

real sh*t.
 7 years ago '04        #87
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Curtisimo said:
It cost $ to press, print, and ship cd's bruh

I;ve heard of companies overshipping artists project so it can be certified platinum or whatever but not shipping them buying it back to scan, etc etc. That just sounds a bit too much IMO and I never heard of anybody talking about it. And intill further evidence I just don't believe labels will do this just because this marketing doesn't always work (especially when artist face a huge drop off after the first week whether the label bought it or not)

and Defjam major releases get disributed through Universal they do distribute cd's though for artist like Currency Pilot Talk 2 which he got a distribution deal for.

Anyway if you beleive Atlantic bought a bunch of Lupe Fiasco albums so it can sell 200k then so be it, but there's no proof. Also this is his most anticipated cd, he has a single or singles that attract a certain demo that buys records, and top it off 200k is like what? 50k more than the first week of The Cool?

Is it really that hard to believe over 200,000 peopel bought Lupe's fiasco most pop, catchy, trendy project he ever released

I dont think anyone here is arguing that CD's dont cost money to manufacture, and if you read my previous posts you'll clearly see that ultimately the album gets sold to an actual customer so the album actually is paid for eventually after the scanning is multiplied which again in my previous post is explained at how there's no cost ultimately taken.

Don't just a.ssUME that this doesn't happen though because it doesn't "sound" right to you, when the majority of this board has seen the countless articles, interviews, and statements from retailers, artists, and execs saying this goes on. Refusing to accept or do the research for yourself about it before you reject it is just ignorant.

Def Jam is under Universal, so its all the same company, all the same distribution but Def Jam does have it's own subsidiary distribution through Island Def Jam.

and I'm not saying if Lupe had his numbers inflated or not, he could have, he couldn't have, I can only "guess" off my intuition. My main argument was just that labels DO buy albums to inflate soundscan numbers, and I've given logical reasons to why I feel that way, but everyone here rejecting it just says " man no they dont, I dont believe it just because, it doesn't make sense to me" when I doubt any of you have worked at a label nonetheless been in the top meetings where things like this are discussed.
 7 years ago '06        #88
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
 psylence2k said:
because that shyt wouldn't have been believable, they can't make it obvious that they're buying albums or why not have Jay-Z sell 1 mill in a week, or kanye sell 2 mill in a week? Interscope might as well ship Eminem Triple Platinum then.

Sure no one has photo documented, receipt scanned, and secretly voice recorded a testimony by the top label presidents but there's constantly been articles about everyone from former label exec's, to employees, to retailers to even artists admitting the label buys albums. 50 has said it, Jay has said it, Budden has said it, but here are just a couple of the many articles that have came out in past years.

Atlantic and Def Jam both do their own distribution, go check if you dont believe me

The retailer is either getting those albums for free (which means no cost to them) or getting a promised buy back for another favor from the label or threatened with a repercussion as the article statse, either way they are getting something to benefit them in return, why would they not go along with that business relationship?

No one said it was 100% sure fire, you do it where you see fit, you dont just throw all your money into marketing something, you pick and choose wisely, that's basic business marketing.

who in the hell is watching or caring about Redman's numbers ? dude probably only does 80k first week nowadays, so if they did decide to inflate his numbers anything around 200k for him and it's gonna be obvious it's BS. Once again no one is gonna look at the label bad if Redman flops as much as they would if Jay or Kanye flopped, there's not even expectations for Redman, when was the last time he had a song on the charts?

How does getting promotion and good publicity for your company at no cost NOT make economical sense???

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #89
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 niceguy954 said:
Translation : I'm sorry I dont have the humility to applaud nor the intellectual aptitude to rebuttal so I copped out with a cheesy joke video to save face
It's all good my man
 7 years ago '06        #90
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
 psylence2k said:
It's all good my man
no..its means why argue with a dumbass like you when I know your just talking out your azz with no proof to back up your beliefs

edit: blogs are not sources
 7 years ago '05        #91
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
$45,929 | Props total: 10791 10791
 JamcnPrettyboy said:
so a few weeks ago he got butt hurt because folks on the web said the album sucked so he goes and say that his label made him make a more mainstream album and it wasn't even what he wanted to do and now that its number 1 he's proud of the album?

what a f**king hypocrite.
Exactly, I'm happy for him and this album is definitely his worst. But dude is contradictory hypocrite.
 7 years ago '04        #92
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 niceguy954 said:
no..its means why argue with a dumbass like you when I know your just talking out your azz with no proof to back up your beliefs

edit: blogs are not sources

How about Yes.... you do feel stupid for that Lupe shipping gold statement

No proof at all? So the L.A. Times is a Blog now ?

Do you want to continue to cherry pick what parts of my posts to respond to ?

I should just cop out and resort to one of your brief " Damn, F*ck You!" responses but exposing your poor comprehension and reasoning skills is just TOO easy .

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-17-2011 at 05:52 PM..
 7 years ago '06        #93
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
 psylence2k said:
How about Yes.... you do feel stupid for that Lupe shipping gold statement

No proof at all? So the L.A. Times is a Blog now ?

Do you want to continue to cherry pick what parts of my posts to respond to ?

I should just cop out and resort to one of your brief " Damn, F*ck You!" responses but exposing your poor comprehension and reasoning skills is just TOO easy . :

a 7 year old article that proved nothing and a blog is your primary sources...lupe going gold would surprise you after all the marketing lasers had? he shut down streets NYC with their red laser event last month

im done...i bet this guy is some high school kid who likes the based god person...
 7 years ago '04        #94
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 niceguy954 said:

a 7 year old article that proved nothing and a blog is your primary sources...lupe going gold would surprise you after all the marketing lasers had? he shut down streets NYC with their red laser event last month

im done...i bet this guy is some high school kid who likes the based god person...
proved nothing besides what I had been saying all along about insiders admitting to sales inflation?

you must not have actually read the article and my previous posts

so now marketing alone will get you sales? If a label wants an artist to do gold all they have to is keep putting more and more marketing behind them?

I wish I was some high school kid who liked based god, it would just make your sonning even more hilarious.

please, please, please, please, respond again so I can laugh some more.

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-17-2011 at 06:38 PM..
 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM         #95
IDirtMcGirt 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:

I read the articles that you linked to, and the distortion that the people in the article are claiming is different from labels actually purchasing retail albums (which the majority of the people here were saying doesn't make sense).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in the industry, but why would they do this with LASERS? I don't see them doing it to prove a point to Lupe because he's almost done with the contract and it is highly unlikely that he will re-sign with them.

So what do they get by inflating their numbers? It seems like you're saying that it is good PR for the label for their artists to sell well, and that is a fair. But then that begs the question; why don't they do it for every single artist they have? In your redman example, I would think that inflating numbers for an artist that has really low expectations would be more profitable, in terms of reputation, than one of their megastars since it would be showing that they can help you sell records no matter what. Additionally, boosting their numbers would be cheaper because if redman is expected to do 80k, using the method in the articles to boost sales by 120k to get to 200k is way cheaper than making up for guys like jayz, eminem, kanye who sell millions.

But as you alluded to, at the end of the day, they are still a co. that needs to make profits off sales so it is implausible for them to boost every single album. So now why would they boost numbers for an artist who has publicly bashed them, who has an expiring contract, and who won't re-sign with them? that is the part that does not make business sense to me.
 03-17-2011, 09:30 PM         #96
.aviator.man. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
niceee
 7 years ago '10        #97
MANNYSOSA 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,531 | Props total: 1719 1719
I was in the record shop yesterday and saw lasers front and center I would of bought it too if it wasn't for him saying how he disliked this album, how you expect ppl to buy your shut if you say u don't like it 2 weeks before it come out, only single I heard was I'm beaming and I was planning to cop off the strength of that .. Sheeiit I'm not even wasting my downloads trying to listen to lasers

But I copped shaolin vs wu-tang that s**t is f**king dope
 7 years ago '07        #98
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$18,234 | Props total: 140 140
Conspiracy theorists for the win !!

Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
150 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
224 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
67 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
155 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kojima explains death stranding gameplay and lore
21 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
55 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
197 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy