Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
202 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
58 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Jay Z's Tidal Is Running Out Of Cash & On Verge Of Bankruptcy, Lost $36..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Lonzo Ball still disrespecting Nas
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #21
CA$H MONEY 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,923 | Props total: 3 3
I think everybody forgets that Jalen said THIS IS HOW HE FELT AS AN 18 YEAR OLD NOT PRESENTLY!!!!!!! Maybe he shouldn't have said "uncle tom" but for the most part, he's right. Duke has never had too many black players on their squad that didn't come from stable situations. The only ones that didn't fit that "mold" all bolted early right before the same kind of situation that went down with the fab five went down at Duke. Yall are probably too young to remember that Duke was one step away from being investigated with the Elton Brand, William Avery Corey Maggette squad. Coach K ain't no fool. He knows that if we get em from an established home, we don't have to worry about a looooooot of the things other programs do. I can't fault him for that.
 7 years ago '05        #22
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 <<InphDigi>> said:
Grant is looking real b**chmade right now. You writing op-eds in response to what a man said he felt like as an 18-19 year old kid???? Everything Jalen and the rest said was in past tense.

#Cmonson
exactly. They weren't spouting off their mouths talking about how grant is still a b**ch or whatever. The whole point of having them there was to give the doc the authenticity it needed, and help us understand their feelings at the time. I think the only point in the doc where they were talking about their current feelings was during the end.
 7 years ago '10        #23
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,149 | Props total: 15668 15668
Duke has had an Academic All-American on the team fourteen years

fourth-winningest college basketball program of all-time

4 National Championships

15 Final Fours

19 Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships

regular season title 18 times

second, behind only UCLA, in total weeks ranked as the number one team in the nation by the AP

The Blue Devils have the second longest streak in the AP Top 25 in history with 200 consecutive appearances from 1996 to 2007

Call them Uncle Toms, sell outs, house n*ggas, b**ches, whatever u want. At the end of the day

Duke>>>>>99% of NCAA college Basketball programs

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '10        #24
Beach Bum 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,900 | Props total: 26 26
so how ignorant do some of you sound right now? how you gonna be mad at a fellow black man because his family gave a sh*t about his future and used what they have earned to better the family? isnt this what real parents are supposed to be doing? would he be more acceptable to you guys if he was tatted up and wore 4 different gold chains and dressed like a hobo. Why dont yall get off his nutts and maybe use him as a role model.
 7 years ago '09        #25
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21 OP
space
space
$66,409 | Props total: 12350 12350
I used to believe Jalen felt that way as an 18yo until I watched him speak recently after the Doc came on. Also, some of the things he has written and tweeted since then has lead me to believe he still feels that way. He says thats what he felt as an 18yo but he will say I still feel they dont recruit my kind of player to Duke.

I think he is saying what he can so he doesn't get too far out of hand in Disney/ESPN's eyes and lose his job. Then again, as long as he continues to stir up s**t and have people watching/talking about the documentary Disney/ESPN wins and makes a lot of money off of it.

I wonder how much of that is Jalen's cut :hmm:
 03-16-2011, 02:35 PM         #26
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this fool said use Grant Hill as a role model.
 7 years ago '09        #27
space
space
This whole keeping it real stigma is f**king up the world and black people everyday. Keep on keeping it real Jalen, "allegedly"
 7 years ago '04        #28
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,501 | Props total: 789 789
Grant Hill = corny n*gga

he is f**kin Tamia though so he won in that right

he's still a corny coulda, shoulda woulda been

the Fab 5 got 2 final 4s and they're more remembered than any single championship team so they still won

Duke's players go on to be bums, yes, their program works because it's a system...they could plug anyone in most of their championship teams...throw a duke jersey on anyone and they're getting the ref's calls

Last edited by Liquid-Science; 03-16-2011 at 02:43 PM..
 7 years ago '10        #29
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,149 | Props total: 15668 15668
 Rico23 said:
once u take the blue and white dildo out your a.ss maybe u can pay attention and see that all the accolades and stats have nothing to do with what jalen felt as an 18 yr old....stick to the topic dumbass or get your duck sucking a.ss outta here with that nonsense
The point is if they recurit a certain type of player so be it. Obviously the system works.
 7 years ago '06        #30
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
 Yung C said:
Jalen was right about what he said... should he have used "uncle tom"? NO!

should grant hill have used this opportunity to get on a soap box and go on a tangent about his great black family? no!

all jalen was saying is that duke wouldn't/doesn't recruit black inner city kids, such as himself. with a certain edginess or demo-graphical background. HE IS RIGHT. they like to recruit black players with no edge and from very positive backgrounds ie seth curry.

let the man state his disdain.
^ This...Its unfortunate that the message got lost in all of this. Duke does only recruit a certain type of player. I'm not judging Duke, its just that its there in black and white...literally.

Great job Grant for distorting the message even more. Much respect to him, the other black players at Duke, and their families. I believe that blacks collectively are proud of what they have accomplished.

No one (with sense) has a beef with them but at the end of the day, don't sit here and act like there is no truth whatsoever in the feeling that MOST black people feel about the recruiting practices of Duke.
 7 years ago '10        #31
Beach Bum 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,900 | Props total: 26 26
 TheBallDontLie said:
this fool said use Grant Hill as a role model.
i didnt say follow everything he has ever done dipsh*t....i meant as far as having morals and doing something with his life other than acting like an uneduacted thug.
 7 years ago '04        #32
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 693 693
Oh, with all this hatred and schedenfreude for ole Florida, we almost forgot about our old pals at Duke University, where the "mystique" is thick as the cheerleader's love handles.

And before you call me classless for writing that, I call you stupid for not realizing already how small, petty and classless I am!

To keep it brief, a famous e-mail exchange from a then-departing Elton Brand to a haughty Duke student enraged at his deciding to forgoe the "Duke Experience" for the "I Can Buy Your Mom's House And Burn It Down If I Want To Experience."

According to Scoop Jackson, probably the only time I'll ever quote him, Brand has admitted to this response, which is a smart thing to do, because his Q Rating just went through the roof!

Enjoy!

?

Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:55 PM
To: Brand, Elton
Subject: Leaving Duke

I graduated from Duke last May and just wanted to express my disgust for your decision to leave the Duke program after only two years. As an alum, not only do I hold the school in high regard, but the basketball program as well, especially since both have deservedly garnered such a great deal of respect for their accomplishments.

As part of our basketball program, you represent Duke as a whole. We are first and foremost an academic school, you clearly did not belong at Duke in the first place if this was the extent of your commitment to Duke and a college education in general. You have not only insulted the current students who are putting in four years at a school they love, but also the thousands of alumni who have realized the value of a Duke education and what an honor and privilege it was to be there for four years.

If you do not realize the opportunity you has infront of you to play for Coach K and at the same time attain a Duke diploma, then that is certainly your loss. I just wish that you has spared us the notion that you were continuing in the tradition of being a Duke student-athlete, in emphasizing excellence in both academics and athletics. You will not be considered part of the Duke family, in my mind as well as many others. You have by no means proved yourself worthy of that title.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Taylor

Sent: Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:05 PM
To: Taylor, Jennifer
Subject: Re: Leaving Duke

Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke. People like you can not and will not ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yeah, right. Because I don't care about you or your alumni.

Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA
 7 years ago '09        #33
space
space
Yeah, its true that Duke doesn't recruit many of the basketball players from the inner city or ghettos. I wish they would recruit them because it would give them a better education and chance out of the ghetto by having connections to such a great university. But, most of these kids wouldn't qualify at Duke. What else is Duke athletics supposed to do if a kid they want to play for them won't get in? That is a waste of time recruiting them.

Why does Jalen never respond to the question about Duke recruiting Chris Webber? If Webber was a guy like him? Or does he consider Webber an Uncle Tom too because Webber grew up in a good neighborhood with both parents?
 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM         #34
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
grant acting like a b**ch, he couldn't just call J and have a man to man...instead he had to write a column so he would be labeled "classy" but white folks

very uncle tomish herny
 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM         #35
ktbballplaya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I dont understand why ppl are upset at Jalen.. Its a known FACT that duke only recruits certain players based on there up bringing and surroundings. Grant Hill took offense to uncle tom, which I understand why he would. Nobody is hating on hill well I'm not hating on hill for how he was raised nor do I discredit the type of person he is. The topic is about duke and who they choose to recruit and not choose to recruit. They choose not to recruit players that haven't had a solid structure in there life and dont want to deal with certain personalities.
 7 years ago '09        #36
Ricky Towel 128 heat pts128
space
space
$15,415 | Props total: 409 409
hill>>>>>rose

just for the fact that rose always looks like hes about to bust out laughin, no matter what hes talkin about.
 7 years ago '05        #37
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,999 | Props total: 1318 1318
Both him and Jalen have some great points imo.

"I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons"

Hill and Jalen both the s**t though no doubt
 7 years ago '09        #38
space
space
 <<InphDigi>> said:
yeah, I read that when Jalen tweeted it too. Just like Jalen said people need to stop coming at him with a list of 10 black players in 35 years, dont post a letter of one person that got ignorant with Elton Brand.

I just wish that dumb a.ss documentary had never come out. Seems like the only pleased by all this are the white folk who are sitting back laughing because black folks have once again been split. They have used one of us to send slave connotations back out on hundredfold. Now, Jalen and those like him are the cotton pickers, Black Duke players and those like them are house negros. The s**t needs to stop in my opinion.

Again, what is the point of Jalen's disdain and why is he pushing that agenda now? Why didn't he go after Vanderbilt, Stanford, Ivy League schools, Northwestern and the many other schools that recruit this type of player?
 7 years ago '05        #39
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,999 | Props total: 1318 1318
 <<InphDigi>> said:
 7 years ago '08        #40
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,745 | Props total: 12171 12171
 JCash said:
i still think the same way about duke....#sellouts
Fuk Grant and Duke ole Uncle Tom a.ss n*ggas... and if you got something to say fuk you too, Chino XL fuk you too all you muthaf**kas fuk you too.

I lived in Detroit/Ann Arbor I'm all allowed to s**t on Grant ole waste of a Piston Uni a.ss n*gga and now I live in Charlotte so its UNC all day.
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
41 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
216 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
38 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
145 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
36 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
191 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
137 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
55 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy