Grant Hill Responds To Jalen Rose

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
105 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
75 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
115 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
85 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #1
8923 pageviews
201 comments

That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$66,408 | Props total: 12343 12343
Grant Hill Responds To Jalen Rose

Long Read Warning.

Grant Hill’s Response to Jalen Rose
By GRANT HILL
Grant Hill currently plays for the Phoenix Suns.Associated Press Grant Hill currently plays for the Phoenix Suns.

“The Fab Five,” an ESPN film about the Michigan basketball careers of Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson from 1991 to 1993, was broadcast for the first time Sunday night. In the show, Rose, the show’s executive producer, stated that Duke recruited only black players he considered to be “Uncle Toms.” Grant Hill, a player on the Duke team that beat Michigan in the 1992 Final Four, reflected on Rose’s comments.

I am a fan, friend and longtime competitor of the Fab Five. I have competed against Jalen Rose and Chris Webber since the age of 13. At Michigan, the Fab Five represented a cultural phenomenon that impacted the country in a permanent and positive way. The very idea of the Fab Five elicited pride and promise in much the same way the Georgetown teams did in the mid-1980s when I was in high school and idolized them. Their journey from youthful icons to successful men today is a road map for so many young, black men (and women) who saw their journey through the powerful documentary, “The Fab Five.”

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a b**ch and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them.

In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today.

I am beyond fortunate to have two parents who are still working well into their 60s. They received great educations and use them every day. My parents taught me a personal ethic I try to live by and pass on to my children.

I come from a strong legacy of black Americans. My namesake, Henry Hill, my father’s father, was a day laborer in Baltimore. He could not read or write until he was taught to do so by my grandmother. His first present to my dad was a set of encyclopedias, which I now have. He wanted his only child, my father, to have a good education, so he made numerous sacrifices to see that he got an education, including attending Yale.

This is part of our great tradition as black Americans. We aspire for the best or better for our children and work hard to make that happen for them. Jalen’s mother is part of our great black tradition and made the same sacrifices for him.

My teammates at Duke — all of them, black and white — were a band of brothers who came together to play at the highest level for the best coach in basketball. I know most of the black players who preceded and followed me at Duke. They all contribute to our tradition of excellence on the court.

It is insulting and ignorant to suggest that men like Johnny Dawkins (coach at Stanford), Tommy Amaker (coach at Harvard), Billy King (general manager of the Nets), Tony Lang (coach of the Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins in Japan), Thomas Hill (small-business owner in Texas), Jeff Capel (former coach at Oklahoma and Virginia Commonwealth), Kenny Blakeney (assistant coach at Harvard), Jay Williams (ESPN analyst), Shane Battier (Memphis Grizzlies) and Chris Duhon (Orlando Magic) ever sold out their race.

To hint that those who grew up in a household with a mother and father are somehow less black than those who did not is beyond ridiculous. All of us are extremely proud of the current Duke team, especially Nolan Smith. He was raised by his mother, plays in memory of his late father and carries himself with the pride and confidence that they instilled in him.

The sacrifice, the effort, the education and the friendships I experienced in my four years are cherished. The many Duke graduates I have met around the world are also my “family,” and they are a special group of people. A good education is a privilege.

Just as Jalen has founded a charter school in Michigan, we are expected to use our education to help others, to improve life for those who need our a.ssistance and to use the excellent education we have received to better the world.

A highlight of my time at Duke was getting to know the great John Hope Franklin, John B. Duke Professor of History and the leading scholar of the last century on the total history of African-Americans in this country. His insights and perspectives contributed significantly to my overall development and helped me understand myself, my forefathers and my place in the world.

Ad ingenium faciendum, toward the building of character, is a phrase I recently heard. To me, it is the essence of an educational experience. Struggling, succeeding, trying again and having fun within a nurturing but competitive environment built character in all of us, including every black graduate of Duke.

My mother always says, “You can live without Chaucer and you can live without calculus, but you cannot make it in the wide, wide world without common sense.” As we get older, we understand the importance of these words. Adulthood is nothing but a series of choices: you can say yes or no, but you cannot avoid saying one or the other. In the end, those who are successful are those who adjust and adapt to the decisions they have made and make the best of them.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons.

I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill
Phoenix Suns
Duke ‘94

201 comments for "Grant Hill Responds To Jalen Rose"

7 years ago '04        #2
R.O.B 26 heat pts26
space
space
space
$650 | Props total: 111 111
I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Straight $hitted on 'em, lol

Last edited by R.O.B; 03-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Thread was merged
 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM         #3
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Grant Hill, you are a b**ch in my book, and you were a "Uncle Toms". Go propagate vaccine shots with your coked up looking eyes to the millions of unfortunately unaware of its side effects. By the way forget your fancy sayings, you sound like a stupid motivation speaker.
 7 years ago '05        #4
Rockobox 76 heat pts76
space
space
$12,376 | Props total: 1 1
:hmm:
 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM         #5
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.
ah s**t........
 7 years ago '04        #6
ddash 1 heat pts
space
space
$22,968 | Props total: 3459 3459
Smh......
 7 years ago '06        #7
JCash 
space
space
space
$269 | Props total: 7 7
i still think the same way about duke....#sellouts
 7 years ago '08        #8
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,728 | Props total: 11620 11620
Educational ether
 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM         #9
luker1920 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this n*gga just s**tted all over jalen rose
 7 years ago '09        #10
SoulProblem 
space
space
space
$55 | Props total: 1 1
 TheBallDontLie said:
Grant Hill, you are a b**ch in my book, and you were a "Uncle Toms". Go propagate vaccine shots with your coked up looking eyes to the millions of unfortunately unaware of its side effects. By the way forget your fancy sayings, you sound like a stupid motivation speaker.
What side effects of vaccines are you talking about. The ones that no one can empirically prove they actually exist? It would behoove you to actually know what you're talking about before spewing paranoid conspiracy theories to defile one of the leading ways of preventing disease known to man.
 7 years ago '04        #11
Yung C 
space
space
$1,370 | Props total: 33 33
Jalen was right about what he said... should he have used "uncle tom"? NO!

should grant hill have used this opportunity to get on a soap box and go on a tangent about his great black family? no!

all jalen was saying is that duke wouldn't/doesn't recruit black inner city kids, such as himself. with a certain edginess or demo-graphical background. HE IS RIGHT. they like to recruit black players with no edge and from very positive backgrounds ie seth curry.

let the man state his disdain.
 7 years ago '09        #12
SoulProblem 
space
space
space
$55 | Props total: 1 1
 JCash said:
i still think the same way about duke....#sellouts
f**king crabs in a barrel I swear.
 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM         #13
luker1920 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Yung C said:
Jalen was right about what he said... should he have used "uncle tom"? NO!

should grant hill have used this opportunity to get on a soap box and go on a tangent about his great black family? no!

all jalen was saying is that duke wouldn't/doesn't recruit black inner city kids, such as himself. with a certain edginess or demo-graphical background. HE IS RIGHT. they like to recruit black players with no edge and from very positive backgrounds ie seth curry.

let the man state his disdain.
sounds like a jealous bitter b**ch to me
 7 years ago '10        #14
JaYYo 28 heat pts28
space
space
$8,027 | Props total: 563 563
 SoulProblem said:
What side effects of vaccines are you talking about. The ones that no one can empirically prove they actually exist? It would behoove you to actually know what you're talking about before spewing paranoid conspiracy theories to defile one of the leading ways of preventing disease known to man.
fuk outa here, that cheerleader who got a flu shot and couldnt f**king walk anymore? Started walking all retarted yea that wasnt because of the vaccine right?
 7 years ago '04        #15
Tha-Problem 
space
space
$942 | Props total: 0 0
I understand what Grant is saying, but Jalen is referring to a time when he was 18yrs old. Not only that but Duke did only recruit certain types of black dudes and the s**t is evident to this day (look at Nolan Smith)

Na but at the same time I don't think its cool for black people to call other blacks that are educated or grew up in a nice neiborhood "sell outs. That s**t is just stupid and is exactly what society wants us to do

We are all better than that
 03-16-2011, 02:06 PM         #16
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SoulProblem said:
at trying to come off as intelligent on this subject but the irony is YOU should be the one doing research before talking out of your a.ss.

People like you is why the world passes on misleading information. Horrible.
 7 years ago '04        #17
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 693 693
Grant is looking real b**chmade right now. You writing op-eds in response to what a man said he felt like as an 18-19 year old kid???? Everything Jalen and the rest said was in past tense.

#Cmonson
 7 years ago '08        #18
Tecnique 27 heat pts27
space
space
$11,408 | Props total: 154 154
 JaYYo said:
fuk outa here, that cheerleader who got a flu shot and couldnt f**king walk anymore? Started walking all retarted yea that wasnt because of the vaccine right?

[video - click to view]

Funny how when the cameras aren't around she's walking perfectly fine.

That s**t was a hoax, not saying it cant happen, but in her case it was for attention.
 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM         #19
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
duke dont want black dudes from the hood end of story

grant you a lightskin house n*gga you fit the profile sellout
 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM         #20
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bigree61 said:

grant you a lightskin house n*gga you fit the profile sellout
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
46 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
54 comments
1 day ago