most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
12 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
7845 pageviews
74 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
Tommy Hilfiger redesigns Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Canadiens uniforms

CLOTHES, MARK TWAIN FAMOUSLY SAID, make the man. But do uniforms make a team? We say yes.

And we're not the only ones. A sharp uni (or even a pin-striped one) modeled by a winning squad or magnetic player over the years can bring fans to great emotional heights -- and move them to scoop up replicas by the closetful. So, in putting together an issue focused on matters of style, we knew we couldn't give these game-changing garments short shrift. In fact, we thought some of the most recognizable unis in sports might very well warrant a style transformation. Enter a designer famous enough to be known on a first-name basis: Tommy.

In the midst of designing for a global fashion empire, Hilfiger, a New York native and longtime sports fan, accepted our challenge to reimagine four iconic and beloved uniforms: those of the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys and Canadiens.

Foremost in the designer's mind was racking up the style points while promoting practicality. "I've always come from a fundamental mind-set of mixing fashion with function," he says. "It's important to create a design that both represents a team and has a lasting impression." For Hilfiger, that meant incorporating an eye-grabbing, unique logo in his designs for each uniform. "We added the laurels and the crown from the original Tommy Hilfiger Crest label as a simple way to make each sport feel more regal and upscale," he says. "We think the players will definitely feel like they are representing something important."

As the saying goes, if you look good, you feel good. And hey, if you feel good, anything's possible.

[pic - click to view]

New York Yankees
"My inspiration for this uniform came from my polo shirts. One of the main items in my first collection was a piqué polo shirt that was more relaxed and a bit oversize. Compared to the current Yankees' uniform, the color blocking idea of the shirt speaks to the trend of mixing classical patterns in different colors. I added a collar on the shirt because it always makes everyone look good, and the full button placket taken from our woven oxford shirt allows for a more finished look for the player's suit on game day."

[pic - click to view]

Los Angeles Lakers
"The influence for this design came from reaching deep into the heritage of our brand, and our love of sailing. We love the authentic signal flags that sailors use to communicate with each other on the sea, and the one we liked the best we infused into the uniform. Regarding the length of the shorts, we looked back in history to what Kareem and Bird wore and thought, Could we ever get the players to accept this again? In the end we felt no, but I wanted to go just above the knee for a cleaner, more modern look."

[pic - click to view]

Dallas Cowboys
"If you think about America, the symbol that pulls us together as a country is the flag. Compared to the original Cowboys' uniform design, we love the repetitive feel of the small stars representing a different state that each of the players may come from. Those stars represent the team as a whole, while the helmet represents the player as an individual. We also liked the idea of making each player a star and enlarging it to include his number so everyone would be easily identifiable on camera, even when they're piled up on the field searching for a fumbled ball!"

[pic - click to view]

Montreal Canadiens
"I wanted to go in a different direction than the current Canadiens uniforms, which are solid colors. We loved the idea of taking the traditional rugby stripe and incorporating it into a hockey uniform. The tie at the neck area allows a wider opening for putting on and taking off the jersey over all the pads. The zigzag stitch along the front is one of the strongest stitches that can be applied to a garment to withstand pulling and tugging. It gives the uniform a cool twist, but it's functional, too. There has to be a balance."

[pic - click to view]

http://sports.espn.go.com .. ory?id=6198314

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Dee Grande; 03-12-2011 at 10:31 AM..

74 comments for "Tommy Hilfiger redesigns Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Canadiens uniforms"

7 years ago '07        #2
theFREAK 3685 heat pts3685
space
space
$53,745 | Props total: 38636 38636
The cowgirls ones look gay as fuuck
 7 years ago '06        #3
champ 
space
space
$848 | Props total: 19 19
f**k Tommy
 7 years ago '10        #4
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46

Next designer, please!
 7 years ago '10        #5
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,735 | Props total: 19636 19636
Garbage.
 7 years ago '06        #6
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
Teams should just stick with the original uniforms and MAYBE 1 alternate... all this bulls**t with los ____ and el ____ are corny bulls**t marketing ploys.
 7 years ago '04        #7
LovinPavan 
space
space
$5,639 | Props total: 1145 1145
much like his conventional men's line, this s**t ain't all that.
 7 years ago '08        #8
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
u cant just take the lakers font off the jersey

what's next? teal pistons jers...

nevermind :(
 7 years ago '05        #9
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,886 | Props total: 8410 8410
 beantown said:
Teams should just stick with the original uniforms and MAYBE 1 alternate... all this bulls**t with los ____ and el ____ are corny bulls**t marketing ploys.
yeah not a big fan of that either but they're trying to expand their brand so i cant knock the hustle

as for this uni's...not bad (although the cowboys helmet is pretty bad)
 7 years ago '09        #10
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,435 | Props total: 1356 1356
Keep the Cowboys UNI it fits them perfect...
 7 years ago '10        #11
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
how can players wear these kind of uniforms.... you only see this kinda uniforms on japanese animations..
 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM         #13
Graveyard 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
those look like s**t,

the lakers one is the only one that looks wearable
 7 years ago '05        #14
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,747 | Props total: 12572 12572
I've always said there are three teams that shouldn't touch their jersey's.. Bulls/Celtics/Lakers.. Just to classic and historic to really f**k with it..
 7 years ago '07        #15
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609

[pic - click to view]

DO NOT WANT....Leave the Yankee Jersey ALONE
 7 years ago '04        #16
Drug Free|M 11 heat pts11
space
space
$49,204 | Props total: 1362 1362
rich hil won
 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM         #17
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ldogg310 said:
f**k hilfiger racist a.ss

i aint never gone forget his rant
u know it was proven a lie.
 7 years ago '08        #18
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,778 | Props total: 12278 12278
bout to open Illustrator up and show Tommy how to do this s**t
 7 years ago '09        #19
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$66,433 | Props total: 12370 12370
s**t is trash! Dont go f**king with the Habs jerseys you punk b**ch!!!!!
 7 years ago '06        #20
samsin420 39 heat pts39
space
space
$5,946 | Props total: 496 496
I prefer the Cowboys throwback jersey they wear already.
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
79 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
72 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
67 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
191 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
51 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
118 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy