Jalen Rose calls black Duke players Uncle Toms

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
30 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
63 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM         #1
12504 pageviews
200 comments

cleophisduval09 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jalen Rose calls black Duke players Uncle Toms

[pic - click to view]

----
Other article:

Jalen Rose: ‘I hated Duke. They only recruited black players who were Uncle Toms’

Rick Chandler

Mar 8, 2011, 11:38 AM EST

They’re college basketball’s most talked about team that never won anything, known as the Fab Five, Michigan’s 1991 recruiting class which included Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, Ray Jackson, Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. Interesting to see that 18 years later, they still harbor some bitterness over what they weren’t able to accomplish. With special acrimony still reserved for Duke. Rose, King and Jackson appeared on ESPN’s First Take this morning to discuss 30 for 30’s documentary on the Fab Five that will air on Sunday.

About midway through the First Take segment, they played a clip from the documentary in which Rose says:

“For me, Duke was personal. I hated Duke. And I hated everything I felt Duke stood for. Schools like Duke didn’t recruit players like me. I felt like they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms.”

Asked about the comment, Rose didn’t exactly backtrack, but elaborated:

“Well, certain schools recruit a typical kind of player whether the world admits it or not. And Duke is one of those schools. They recruit black players from polished families, accomplished families. And that’s fine. That’s okay. But when you’re an inner-city kid playing in a public school league, you know that certain schools aren’t going to recruit you. That’s one. And I’m okay with it. That’s how I felt as an 18-year-old kid.”

See the First Take interview video here.

Hard to know where to start here. First, obviously you’re not “okay with it,” because if you were you wouldn’t still sound so bitter. For their parts, King and Jackson agreed, Jackson saying that he appreciates now “what [Duke] has accomplished,” but he still hates them.

Looks like an interesting documentary. The Fab Five brought a “hip-hop flavor” to the game and changed it in many ways, but never won a Big Ten or national championship. Ironically, they’re probably best known for Webber’s phantom time out call against North Carolina in 1993, and a huge NCAA rules scandal that resulted a few years later in the firing of coach Steve Fisher and several sanctions against the school.

I’m not even going to get into the sadness of Rose playing the “Uncle Tom” card. That’s just beneath you, Jalen, in so many ways.

Jalen Rose: ‘I Hated Duke. I Felt Like They Only Recruited Black Players That Were Uncle Toms.’ [SportsGrid]

[pic - click to view]

Jalen Rose: ‘I hated Duke. They only recruited black players who were Uncle Toms’ | Off the Bench

Man I didn't see this on Boxden yet, I apologize if its a re-post.

200 comments for "Jalen Rose calls black Duke players Uncle Toms"

03-08-2011, 07:48 PM         #2
luker1920  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
another black idiot analyst...these n*ggaz need to just shut their mouths
 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM         #3
cleophisduval09  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
IMO I think Jalen Rose is dead wrong for this, I think there is some truth to what he is saying but to say it amongst your peers is one thing, but to say that on the air....crazy. What you think?
 7 years ago '10        #4
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
call me slow. but ive heard this uncle tom slang before. what does it mean>?
 7 years ago '04        #5
T_Buck 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 0 0
Because being educated, which is a requirement to get into Duke, is being an Uncle Tom.
 7 years ago '06        #6
luckluck 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,907 | Props total: 97 97
Yall gotta remember that he is saying that this was how he felt as an 18 year old. Not now.

“Well, certain schools recruit a typical kind of player whether the world admits it or not. And Duke is one of those schools. They recruit black players from polished families, accomplished families. And that’s fine. That’s okay. But when you’re an inner-city kid playing in a public school league, you know that certain schools aren’t going to recruit you. That’s one. And I’m okay with it. That’s how I felt as an 18-year-old kid.

Last edited by luckluck; 03-08-2011 at 07:58 PM..
 7 years ago '06        #7
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
Never liked Jalen Rose, dude is full of himself and has not accomplished a damn thing in his college or NBA career to be acting like he's some kind of legend. People like him are the ones that slow down the wheels of progress.
 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM         #8
luker1920  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i guess u gotta be a stereotype n*gga to get into Duke

I see no problem with Duke looking for established eduacated men, i see no problem with them denying inner city kids with D- as their best grades...

doesnt make those inner city kids less of human beings but its just what the school wants.

Rose is dead wrong for calling those kids UNCLE TOMS, its actually an embarrassment and shows what kind of person Duke apparently passed on. A piece of s**t Jalen Rose.
 7 years ago '06        #9
luckluck 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,907 | Props total: 97 97
 T_Buck said:
Because being educated, which is a requirement to get into Duke, is being an Uncle Tom.
n*gga you acting like its easy to get into Michigan. Michigan is one of this country's finest academic institutions just like Duke is. And this is coming from an Ohio State fan.
 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM         #10
Rendition  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Before I even came in this thread

I figured he said this was how he used to feel. maybe when he considered going to Duke in his day.
 7 years ago '06        #11
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
 luckluck said:
Yall gotta remember that he is saying that this was how he felt as an 18 year old. Not now.
Not really....He said "I hated duke. I felt like they recruited players that were uncle toms."

He's saying that's how he felt at the time, but he's also repeating that sentiment showing that he still sort of feels that way. I mean I'm all for people speaking their mind and if you have an opinion you should be able to express it, but to say something like that is just wreckless and ignorant.

Just my opinion.
 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM         #12
cleophisduval09  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gag Orda said:
You're the type of uncle tom n*gga Rose is calling out
And your the ignorant n*gga who won't ever win s**t.
 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM         #13
Rendition  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
A lot of current High School players feel this way right now

this isn't anything new
 7 years ago '04        #14
T_Buck 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 0 0
 luckluck said:
n*gga you acting like its easy to get into Michigan. Michigan is one of this country's finest academic institutions just like Duke is. And this is coming from an Ohio State fan.
Michigan's a public school, Duke's a private school.
 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM         #15
cleophisduval09  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 luckluck said:
Truth.
 7 years ago '06        #16
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
 luker1920 said:
i guess u gotta be a stereotype n*gga to get into Duke

I see no problem with Duke looking for established eduacated men, i see no problem with them denying inner city kids with D- as their best grades...

doesnt make those inner city kids less of human beings but its just what the school wants.

Rose is dead wrong for calling those kids UNCLE TOMS, its actually an embarrassment and shows what kind of person Duke apparently passed on. A piece of s**t Jalen Rose.
Couldn't agree more, wouldn't change one word you said.

Duke, just like any other school, can have their own educational standards. It's not for me to judge.
 7 years ago '08        #17
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,729 | Props total: 11626 11626
 CaliIsActive said:

Jalen Rose is a real n1gga

n1gga been saying this for a minute

this is why black people subconsciously just hate Duke
If there isn't a 1 and done rule, your idol would have went to duke

Wheres my n*gga Liquid Science though, he's gonna have a field day with this one
 7 years ago '10        #18
trill jackson 738 heat pts738
space
space
$18,850 | Props total: 13303 13303
that perception got really big when when david duke ran for president in 92
 7 years ago '07        #19
timdog 921 heat pts921
space
space
$30,469 | Props total: 14935 14935
juwan howard was a honor student and top ten in his class in high school

but i guess jalen felt that duke really didnt recruit black players go back and look at there teams and you will see
 7 years ago '05        #20
circleinsidebox 
space
space
$1,701 | Props total: 0 0
 chamboi42o said:
call me slow. but ive heard this uncle tom slang before. what does it mean>?
read a book
this is the true source of that terminology

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
84 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
136 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of ďIím not racistĒ
103 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dear Santa, you are a b!tch n!gga. Sincerely yours, the Santa Stalker.
39 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy