Lupe explains how Atlantic told him to dumb it down, took away his budget, and held him hostage

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
67 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
119 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #101
Joshggcon 
space
space
space
$191 | Props total: 0 0
ITS ALL ABOUT THIS ====> WOO WOO SWAG SWAG!! COOK COOK!
 7 years ago '04        #102
talkofny2k4 102 heat pts102
space
space
$6,616 | Props total: 7346 7346
why im not surprised!!!this is atlantic roster lately,,,,,plies.t.i,etc....bulls**t!!!
 7 years ago '05        #103
GST 
space
space
$14,849 | Props total: 2425 2425
 TinyTankX said:
So that's his excuse?

seriously

let's not blame the label...n*gga you were boring when you first came out

if they really told him to dumb down his 'push..skate' style or w/e the song is called then imma have to call that n*gga Kunta Kinte cuz you are officially a slave
 7 years ago '05        #104
Grown Man Ish 97 heat pts97
space
space
space
$14,107 | Props total: 234 234
dont think i ever heard a lupe song
 7 years ago '07        #105
Deniro732 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,632 | Props total: 2475 2475
 Grown Man Ish said:
dont think i ever heard a lupe song
..then as far as great hip hop is concerned, your missing out like a muthaf**ka
 7 years ago '08        #106
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,034 | Props total: 5119 5119
jay should get him over to roc nation ASAP
 7 years ago '04        #107
WhoThaFuk 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,909 | Props total: 581 581
Can't he go under a different name and release something? seriously the time of the record label is coming to an end. How do you sign an artist for talent, then compromise it by telling him what to create? What was wrong with Food and Liquor or The Cool? Why all of a sudden did the label loose confidence in his abilities to the point that they felt he needed to do these cookie cutter songs? I refuse to listen to Lasers. Its not his work, Its Atlantic's work with his voice.
 7 years ago '06        #108
davon4204 34 heat pts34
space
space
$16,172 | Props total: 1613 1613
 TinyTankX said:
So that's his excuse?

Stupid if u know anything about Lupe's music then u would know that he's a nice emcee. n*gga don't need an excuse. Quit hatin .
 7 years ago '06        #109
davon4204 34 heat pts34
space
space
 Soda Pop said:
jay should get him over to roc nation ASAP

Then he would really have to sell out his soul and all f**kin with that puppet.
 7 years ago '06        #110
davon4204 34 heat pts34
space
space
 GST said:
seriously

if they really told him to dumb down his 'push..skate' style or w/e the song is called then imma have to call that n*gga Kunta Kinte cuz you are officially a slave

@n*ggaz on here hatin. Damn.....just show's yall know know nothing about real music. Go listen to some Lil B s**t then and stop the hate.
 7 years ago '05        #111
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
I'm coppin for the collection because Lupe is my favorite rapper, but this just goes to show you why all of these bulls**t rappers like Wakka Flocka, and Gucci Mane are in the mainstream
yeap record labels dont want smart raps they dont want ppl to here smart s**t this is so deep i could get into it but most of u n*ggas wouldnt understand.

now its clear rappers are been told what to like cause record compaines just want the next big song next big club hit next big ringtone. they could care less if the cd is total trash and has no meaning just all about money. f**k em i m not buying any cds so i guess i cant complain but i can see n*ggas missing the old days music is all water down now. u can either be indy and not get your muis heard thru the world. or u can be on a major and have there d!ck up your a.ss all day telling what to do
 03-04-2011, 02:21 PM         #112
Galan Da Destro  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 GST said:
seriously

GST question,

Are you a musical artist? more importantly are you a musical artist who has had a major deal presented to him?
 7 years ago '04        #113
R-iZZy 13 heat pts13
space
space
$4,068 | Props total: 591 591
 senseispab said:
is he not allowed to release mixtapes?

is being paid more important than putting out music you want people to hear?

Do I know anything specific about this situation? No. But I'd be interested to hear Lupe's answers.

B.O.B played the game and won.
Considering he wants to make a living off being an artist, getting money from his creation and work is just as important as the work he puts into it. Hip-hop is his passion and career at this point. I don't think you'd want to put in the best of your efforts in anything you do to get no reward from it. Perhaps fan adulation is appreciated, but that isn't what pays your bills.
 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM         #114
Galan Da Destro  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Curtisimo said:
He can drop mixtapes for free and book shows that will pay him money to perform those songs.

50cent did that s**t before he got the million dollar deal from Jimmy Iovine why can't Lupe do the same?

It's not like Lupe Fiasco is getting a major cut from album sales anyway. n*gga gets 10-25cents an album that is shipped and sold like majority of artists on a major record deal.
360 deals was not prevalent during 50 cent's rise as they are now,

I may be incorrect about this but I think a 360 deal means ANY revenue that you gain from music while under contract means the label gets a share.

Edit: Yea it is...

http://musicians.about.com/od/ah/g/360deals.htm said:
360 deals are contracts that allow a record label to receive a percentage of the earnings from ALL of a band's activities instead of just record sales.Under 360 deals, also called "multiple rights deals," record labels may get a percentage of things that were previously off limits to them, like:

* Concert revenue
* Merchandise sales
* Endorsement deals
* Ringtones
In exchange for getting a bigger cut from the artists they represent, the labels say they will commit to promoting the artist for a longer period of time and will actively try and develop new opportunities for them. In essence, the label will function as a pseudo-manager and look after the artist's entire career rather than only focusing on selling records.
 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM         #115
Galan Da Destro  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Curtisimo said:
Best believe interscope got a huge % off of 50cent's gunit clothing

but that doesn't even matter because Lupe Fiasco was signed to Atlantic before or around the same time 50 signed to interscope.

They tried to rework Lupe's contract by making him sign a 360 deal and he didn't have to do that (if he did)
Naw, Im not buying that a.ssumption. I need proof because 50cent is TOO business minded and business orientated to allow Interscope to 360 his clothing line, hell NO!

And correct me if Im wrong, but Lupe has made it public he is in a 360 deal?
 7 years ago '05        #116
ghost213 31 heat pts31
space
space
$2,524 | Props total: 748 748
same s**t that 50 doing to young buck, except 50 just holding YOung Buck out of spite and to k!ll his career completely.
 7 years ago '10        #117
beast mode 25 heat pts25
space
space
$13,974 | Props total: 1798 1798
 Curtisimo said:
Best believe interscope got a huge % off of 50cent's gunit clothing

but that doesn't even matter because Lupe Fiasco was signed to Atlantic before or around the same time 50 signed to interscope.

They tried to rework Lupe's contract by making him sign a 360 deal and he didn't have to do that (if he did)
50 was not on a 360 deal.

lupe lost,made a s**tty album and tried to blame it on the label
 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM         #118
Galan Da Destro  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ghost213 said:
same s**t that 50 doing to young buck, except 50 just holding YOung Buck out of spite and to k!ll his career completely.
Its not smite, it's Raw Business with emotional and Moral dogma's removed.

50 Cent (if we are to believe in the words written about his history) is a stone-hardened individual when it comes to warfare. in our society today due to the fear of capture and prosecution, 1 can not simply k!ll his/her enemy as you could in days of antiquity. People could k!ll someone through cunning ruthlessness and live the rest of their lives out free from imprisonment or execution.

Now-a-day's everything has an eye or an ear, if 50 cent could k!ll Young Buck and no one find out he would. but now it more logical to k!ll someone financially, because 1). it's not perceived to be an actual crime 2). You succeed indefinitely
 7 years ago '05        #119
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
Sure someone has already said it, but n*gga shut the f**k up and release the songs that were on this mythical Lasers. Did you not see what B.o.B did, he released the album the label wanted "The Adventures of...," got big off of it, then released the album HE wanted "No Genre" months later for free, showing that the album was not what he wanted. So honestly, if you have all these great f**king songs that the label didn't want you to put on the album, make it a f**king mixtape and prove yourself right.
 7 years ago '11        #120
socal511 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$667 | Props total: 603 603
Beautiful lasers is the only song he supports. f**k Atlantic records, why doesn't jay or someone save lupe? One of the best lyricists out there
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
103 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
135 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
181 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
113 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Biggie Smalls was Official South Side Compton Crip
61 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
vida guerra
82 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
76 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
61 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy