Lupe explains how Atlantic told him to dumb it down, took away his budget, and held him hostage

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside January Rose
10 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #41
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23307 23307
 NO RELIGION said:
While we on the subject....why the f**k do n*ggas sign 6+ album deals
any n*ggas familiar with the industry know?

I've never heard of a n*gga signing a 1,2 or 3 album deal with a label its always some crazy s**t like 5,6,7 or 8. You know gotdamn well nobody stays relevant for longer than 4+ albums (excluding Jay,Em or 2pac)
That's why they sign the long deal. They make sure that tit is good and dry before they cut ties.
 7 years ago '07        #42
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,770 | Props total: 14586 14586
 Bobby's World said:
So Atlantic told him not to have wordplay? I guess wordplay would offend the Illuminati elite.

C'mon mayne... how about the dude just slipped up and made a corny a.ss song and that's that. s**t happens.
f**k does Illuminati have to do w/ this . Its pretty obvious he had little/no control over the album . If you think he had most of the control, you're deaf.
 7 years ago '04        #43
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
The funny thing is Lupe keeps complaining and coming up with stupid excuses, but after everything, "Lasers" was a fairly solid album with some great songs.

It was completely different from his first 2 albums, so I definitely believe that Atlantic forced a lot of the production/producers on him and even went as far as having some lyrics written for the album before Lupe even knew. And I do believe that Lupe's original vision for "Lasers" would've been doper and more intelligent, but the Atlantic version isn't bad at all so why complain?

If it was really that serious, Lupe should just drop street albums from now on and give Atlantic the finger. But just like any artist enslaved, he wants the money. Complain all you want, but Atlantic cut your check so I know you're happy at the end.
 7 years ago '05        #44
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,729 | Props total: 12514 12514
Huge huge huge Lupe backer, but enough is enough.. He went on this huge speech tour about how Lasers was going to be revolutionary, about how certain songs were going to be epic.. And this was AFTER Atlantic decided to release his album..

At some point you have to take ownership of your own material, don't constantly point the finger at execs.. Yes they played a major part but nobody can FORCE you to do something you don't want to do or don't have to do.. You let all these kids organize marches and protest to release this garbage a.ss record knowing full well this was not what the people wanted..

At the end of the day he could have released some mixes, and a lot of other s**t.. And to be honest, that Enemy of the State was poppish too with that Jimmy Hendrix beat and all those other radio friendly beats he was rapping on..

I think he was d!cked around by Atlantic but I also think he's not taking any blame when he deserves some of it too.. He didn't have to lay those tracks down for those bulls**t songs.. What was all this talk about "standing up" against the machine, and all that other non sense when you're getting d!cked around in your personal life your damn self.. And then want to say "they made me do it"..

Lupe lost a lot of points with me..
 7 years ago '07        #45
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Hold That said:
Huge huge huge Lupe backer, but enough is enough.. He went on this huge speech tour about how Lasers was going to be revolutionary, about how certain songs were going to be epic.. And this was AFTER Atlantic decided to release his album..

At some point you have to take ownership of your own material, don't constantly point the finger at execs.. Yes they played a major part but nobody can FORCE you to do something you don't want to do or don't have to do.. You let all these kids organize marches and protest to release this garbage a.ss record knowing full well this was not what the people wanted..

At the end of the day he could have released some mixes, and a lot of other s**t.. And to be honest, that Enemy of the State was poppish too with that Jimmy Hendrix beat and all those other radio friendly beats he was rapping on..

I think he was d!cked around by Atlantic but I also think he's not taking any blame when he deserves some of it too.. He didn't have to lay those tracks down for those bulls**t songs.. What was all this talk about "standing up" against the machine, and all that other non sense when you're getting d!cked around in your personal life your damn self.. And then want to say "they made me do it"..

Truth but I know he wouldn't want to go to war w/ the label especially if they decided to sue him. He should've just said wait for F&L2 and left it at that.
 7 years ago '05        #46
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
 TH35 said:
f**k does Illuminati have to do w/ this . Its pretty obvious he had little/no control over the album . If you think he had most of the control, you're deaf.

Hold That said:

At some point you have to take ownership of your own material, don't constantly point the finger at execs.. Yes they played a major part but nobody can FORCE you to do something you don't want to do or don't have to do.. You let all these kids organize marches and protest to release this garbage a.ss record knowing full well this was not what the people wanted...
Looks like somebody besides me has some common damn sense.

Oh yeah and what about the people who think his album is the s**t. Its pretty obvious to them too that Lupe didnt have any control, right?

7 years ago '07        #47
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Bobby's World said:

Looks like somebody besides me has some common damn sense.

Oh yeah and what about the people who think his album is the s**t. Its pretty obvious to them too that Lupe didnt have any control, right?

Naw they like the album . Its an opinion. Of course the label had more control its obvious. Lupe had some too, and yea he made bad songs but he was doing what he was told to do and it came out terrible in my opinion. The album only had a few good songs and w/ only 12 tracks :( that's horrible.
 7 years ago '05        #48
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
 TH35 said:
Naw they like the album . Its an opinion. Of course the label had more control its obvious. Lupe had some too, and yea he made bad songs but he was doing what he was told to do and it came out terrible in my opinion. The album only had a few good songs and w/ only 12 tracks :( that's horrible.
Well honestly. I thought the album was aiiiiight.

Its the complaining, explanations, and speeches FROM HIM that's making me not wanna listen to that s**t again. I felt like that's something I could bump if I was in the mood to hear that type of s**t. But now the n*gga telling me I really didnt mean to put that out for real, that's why it sounds suspect...well damn thanks for notifying me after the f**kin fact!
 7 years ago '09        #49
MOTM 71 heat pts71
space
space
$1,341 | Props total: 358 358
 Hold That said:

He still likes the album bruh

But Fiasco said he's just happy, if you can call it that, to see the record out there -- mostly because it means he's two albums closer to the end of his contract with Atlantic.

"'Lasers' is a great album. I'm actually happy with the record. I feel I got to say what I wanted even with --" He pauses, maybe frustrated, maybe choosing his words diplomatically. "It doesn't make up for what it took to get through it. It's still being argued and debated upon. ... The climate of this record was very weird, in some instances surreal. I became very abstract. I had to create this commercial art that appeases the corporate side. I had to acquiesce to certain forces. Hopefully within that I snuck in some things I actually wanted to say any way I can."
 7 years ago '07        #50
timdog 918 heat pts918
space
space
$30,438 | Props total: 14806 14806
stop lupe you didnt have to put no album out you could have been shelved and you could put mixtapes out on 1st and 15th your label
 7 years ago '09        #51
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,299 | Props total: 7939 7939
good to see jay wanted to step in to help Lupe but whats done is done, stop making excuses, the album was softer then baby thigh, focus on F&L 2 mixtape and deal with it
 7 years ago '08        #52
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23307 23307
 RYLNYC said:
The funny thing is Lupe keeps complaining and coming up with stupid excuses, but after everything, "Lasers" was a fairly solid album with some great songs.

It was completely different from his first 2 albums, so I definitely believe that Atlantic forced a lot of the production/producers on him and even went as far as having some lyrics written for the album before Lupe even knew. And I do believe that Lupe's original vision for "Lasers" would've been doper and more intelligent, but the Atlantic version isn't bad at all so why complain?

If it was really that serious, Lupe should just drop street albums from now on and give Atlantic the finger. But just like any artist enslaved, he wants the money. Complain all you want, but Atlantic cut your check so I know you're happy at the end.
Say I hired you to do a design for me and I just started adding my own tweaks and telling you that you couldn't do certain things with it and I wouldn't accept it until you added my wack design choices. In the end its not terrible but its not what you wanted it to be and you know for a fact you could have made it 100x better if I just let you do your damn job.

During the time that you were working with me on this project from hell you wouldn't complain about me being a terrible client? you'd proudly display the subpar work in your portfolio knowing the bulls**t you had to go through to finish it?

I doubt it breh
 7 years ago '09        #53
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,299 | Props total: 7939 7939
 timdog said:
stop lupe you didnt have to put no album out you could have been shelved and you could put mixtapes out on 1st and 15th your label
listen to this man, i been saying this since day 1

touring and show money is a rappers bread and butter, dude could have dropped album quality mixtapes and just ate off of the shows
 7 years ago '07        #54
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Bobby's World said:
Well honestly. I thought the album was aiiiiight.

Its the complaining, explanations, and speeches FROM HIM that's making me not wanna listen to that s**t again. I felt like that's something I could bump if I was in the mood to hear that type of s**t. But now the n*gga telling me I really didnt mean to put that out for real, that's why it sounds suspect...well damn thanks for notifying me after the f**kin fact!
I gave the album 2.5/5 and I was being generous. I try not to even listen to his rants outside of his music but I know he didn't really make what he really wanted to. I agree w/ you about how he just made a bad song/songs because he's the one in the studio. Both sides of the argument has valid points.

timdog said:
Is he even allowed to? What's his contract like w/ Atlantic?
 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM         #55
Marvin Hagler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
conscious rappers = smart dumb n*ggas

Whiny Westside Wasalu done contradicted himself at least 5 times in da last 72 hours :sadcam:
 7 years ago '05        #56
Woodwin 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,913 | Props total: 1478 1478
 Venom said:
at some point you gotta blame the "fans" for listenin to that waka gucci bulls**t
f**k yall n*ggas mad for people finding certain music enjoyable? dont get mad lupes label think that n*gga wack and want him to go mainstream cause he aint makin them no money...s**t if i had an artist signed to my label and he aint movin units u damn sure ima make that n*gga go make my money
 7 years ago '10        #57
VeX 
space
space
$3,718 | Props total: 43 43
 NBA Brawler said:
f**k major labels man.
 7 years ago '05        #58
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 2161 2161
 Cantankerous said:
never really f**ked with Lupe too much, but @ my cousin fb status(and its not sarcasm), Lasers must suck

[pic - click to view]

i been going at n*ggas necks about this lasers s**t on facebook...

people so in (fake) love with lupe and his image, they dont even realize this aint no damn lupe album and this aint his image..

i swear the general public is such mindless followers, doin s**t just cuz of buzz and impression.. making none of their own judgement or doing any research..

n*ggas tellin me im not a real lupe fan cuz i dont like this album..like b**ch, if u was a real lupe fan u wouldnt buy this album...

f**kin facebook man.. n*ggas is so sqaure on there..
 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM         #59
divine5  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I like Lasers or at least the tracks I've heard so far.
 7 years ago '05        #60
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,721 | Props total: 2161 2161
 Marvin Hagler said:
conscious rappers = smart dumb n*ggas

Whiny Westside Wasalu done contradicted himself at least 5 times in da last 72 hours :sadcam:
c'mon bruh.. this is a sitcky situation tho..

on one hand, a n*gga gotta eat..

on another hand.. a n*gga gotta stand up for what he believes in..

he's at a battle with himself... and the label.. but being a real n*gga, u always hard on yourself cuz some how u know u got yourself in the s**t anyway..

his verses still address the issues he's always focused on..so i mean, he did his best..i guess..sticky situation..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago