Lupe Fiasco Interview: States he hates "Lasers" and was forced to do "Show Goes On"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
43 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
7 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
78 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
87 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM         #41
><>Young'n<>< 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Anyone who isn't blinded by their love for Lupe knew this album was gonna be a disappointment to some extent. Nothing on this record sounds even remotely like FNL or The Cool, which were both incredibly creative and well produced and as much as you wanna justify it saying it's not meant to be the same, this interview pretty much tells all, it's not really a Lupe album so much as it's an Atlantic album with Lupe's name on it. He was forced to do it blah blah, but after 3 years of being pushed back, he was better off taking his music elsewhere. Yeah it would've been a tedious process and it would've taken years to leave, and he could've lost his Lasers music, which mostly isn't really his to begin with according to this interview, he wouldn't be stuck in this situation again. Now that Lasers is out, it's not gonna open the floodgates for Lupe music, the same things going to happen for whatever other project he still owes to them. The problem wasn't the album so much as it was everything but the music itself. He's not very marketable, neither was any of his music. His singles failed on the charts and they weren't very strong singles anyway IMO. Shining Down was nice but it lost momentum after they waited months to release a "Mastered", almost identical version on iTunes.

Last edited by ><>Young'n<><; 02-28-2011 at 03:43 PM..
 7 years ago '10        #42
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,898 | Props total: 21178 21178
Damn n*ggas really cant read i see.
 7 years ago '04        #43
jillas31 
space
space
space
$1,582 | Props total: 25 25
Lupe the truth....people, for the most part, just didn't/don't understand the music biz. I think that has changed a little bit over the past 5 years. People are starting to really understand who makes the music.......and it sure ain't the artists.

call it TPTB, the illuminati, the New World Order, whatever the f**k you want to call, one thing is starting to become more and more clear. THEY EXIST.
 7 years ago '09        #44
Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389
space
space
$18,418 | Props total: 5 5
Who didn't see this coming? Just saying
 7 years ago '05        #45
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
Then release some of the songs you WANTED to be on the album or shut the f**k up. The CD does sound forced, but unless you prove that by releasing what you actually wanted to,

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #46
GROUCHCARTEL 97 heat pts97 OP
space
space
$4,294 | Props total: 5 5
I understand his frustration..Enemy of the state was better creatively and that was a mix tape but I ain't mad at this album cause lupe ----------->95% of rappers out today...
 7 years ago '04        #47
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,443 | Props total: 6511 6511
 stacks050 said:
so you rather the artist just go out and do the songs that massa wants like a good n*gga and be quiet about it?
it would hold more weight if every other time we hear from him he isn't complaining about something.

lasers is what i thought it was gonna be so im not even mad

if he wanted to put music out that he wants then he should put out more mixtapes. is fnl 2 an album or a mixtape. if its a mixtape than put it out. same goes for friend of the people

the label probably got him to do 3 songs
 7 years ago '04        #48
patt24 52 heat pts52
space
space
$7,028 | Props total: 2568 2568
damn this dude never stops crying...
 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM         #49
Contagioso 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Lupe on "Words I Never Said" said:
The song had a bridge we took out because initially, the song was supposed to be about a relationship, like a boyfriend/girlfriend, Drake song or something.
 7 years ago '04        #50
doczdaname 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$12,986 | Props total: 5033 5033
lasers is alright but def not the lupe im use to hearing except for all black everything and words i never said...

its alright, ill be waiting for LupEND if he ever decides to do that project
 7 years ago '04        #51
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,443 | Props total: 6511 6511
 Curtisimo said:
So he basicly pushed back the album 012747210 times to release an half a.ss project he didn't want to put out??

Lupe needs to take a page out of Fabolous book and just release mixtapes for the fans and albums so his label can be happy.

s**t the label only wants that n*gga to make 2 records to release as singles so they can make money and in return Lupe will make more money if those singles pop

I can't believe this n*gga basicly birthed B.O.B's career because he didn't want to do 2 songs

Didn't listen to Lasers and I probably won't even download it
im glad he birthed b.o.b mainstream career. at least he embracing it.
 7 years ago '04        #52
efromthev 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,588 | Props total: 440 440
the song was supposed to be about a relationship, like a boyfriend/girlfriend, Drake song or something.
 7 years ago '04        #53
R0CAF3LLA_pimp 37 heat pts37
space
space
$6,731 | Props total: 3710 3710
album blows, only hot songs all black everything. smh waited 3 years for this?!
 7 years ago '10        #54
bc23 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$352 | Props total: 27 27
There is no where i see Lupe crying. A year ago he had already said his heart was not into the album and he basically owed Atlantic records (due to his contract). The fans kept asking for Lasers to be released, so he did it for the fans and people still diss on him. People are so surprised the album lacked substance, even though you were warned. If i remember correctly Atlantic did not give a damn about Lupe when he first came out until his fan base grew.

Last edited by bc23; 02-28-2011 at 05:05 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #55
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,755 | Props total: 1572 1572
 jillas31 said:
Lupe the truth....people, for the most part, just didn't/don't understand the music biz. I think that has changed a little bit over the past 5 years. People are starting to really understand who makes the music.......and it sure ain't the artists.
exactly he's putting n*ggas on game and being ridiculed for it, he's not crying or complaining he's letting people know what goes on behind the scenes s**t ain't all glitter and bentleys the record industry in viscous.

" [The value of getting a release date] it depends on what level of education you have in the music business. For some people that’s amazing like, ‘Oh my God! My life is going to change and blah, blah, blah.’ For other people, it kind of means nothing. It’s like, ‘Another album out but the main root of the problem is still unsolved.’ And then there are records you literally had nothing to do with. That was a part of the compromise. Compromise doesn’t mean everybody is going to be happy, it’s just we’re going to do the best thing we can. The best thing for both parties is for this album to come out. Whether that means we’re homies or whether that means everything is cool now, that’s a different story."

that part really stood out to me because I can relate to it I've had A&R's down for the cause talking money, deals, tours the whole 9 and they start out loving you for you but then they slowly try to turn you into what they want you to be before they present you music to the label s**t is very stressful for the artist that has something to say.
 7 years ago '10        #56
DurtySoufReppin 76 heat pts76
space
space
$7,718 | Props total: 14 14
realest n*gga in hip hop
 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM         #57
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Just listened to the album and it's pretty obvious Atlantic got in his ear for this release. Lupe speaking on it is confirming it...and we know he's against dumbing down but if this is what he had to do to get it dropped....He better start working on this Food & Liquor II ASAP to make up for this.

They HAD to have made him re-do the whole album....Trying to make him fit in the B.O.B. & Cudi sound....smh.
 7 years ago '04        #58
regularjoe 58 heat pts58
space
space
$36,458 | Props total: 13151 13151
I like "Show Goes On", that compromise was fine to me. I understand Lupe wants his musical freedom, but compromise is going to be needed--he's smart enough to know that. In the same fashion, Atlantic needs to understand what kind of artist they're signing.
 7 years ago '05        #59
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$37,000 | Props total: 1319 1319
 7 years ago '05        #60
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,195 | Props total: 11803 11803
I also hate lasers
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
138 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
128 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
166 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
150 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
112 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
165 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy