Forum Members Want To Sue Sony For 3.56 PS3 Firmware Update

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
79 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
89 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
8 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM         #1
7282 pageviews
88 comments

PR0TENTIAL 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Forum Members Want To Sue Sony For 3.56 PS3 Firmware Update

Sony’s attempt to combat PS3 hackers with the release of 3.56 turned out to be ugly again, just like the OtherOS removal case last year which angered a lot of users.

A number of members in PlayStation community forum has expressed their disappointment and discontent with the latest update that Sony has brought to their now hackable console as a lot of users who are using a new hard drive for their PS3 had their system broken down. This is an email sent by one of the members to the attorneys:

I am interested in possibly putting together a class action lawsuit against Sony. The situation seems to fit the criteria of class action lawsuit example shown in business law lectures, so I’m hoping you can take a look at the problem and offer a recommendation, or if you find it worth of your talent, participation in this project. This has been affecting people in multiple countries and may be very lucrative. Here’s the situation.

Sony requires mandatory installation of system updates its Playstation 3 game system. These updates add and remove key features from the system, while also patching issues with certain games. If you refuse to download and install these updates, you can’t sign in to your Playstation and/or play games (the system’s primary feature).

Another key feature for the Playstation 3 is the ability to install any laptop hard drive into your system and use it as a storage device. For example, if you buy a Playstation 3 (PS3) with a 40gb hard drive instead of the more expensive 160gb equipped PS3, you can later on get any laptop hard drive and in 3 easy steps replace the 40gb with a much larger one. Not only does Sony support this hard drive upgrade, there are even instructions for this procedure in the Playstation 3 owner’s manual.

Recently hackers have found a way to circumvent the PS3′s software protection, enabling them to create their own software and software updates without Sony knowledge or consent. This could possibly lead to a flood of unauthorized software to make their way into Playstations around the world. To combat this, Sony released update 3.56 on January 27, 2011. This update didn’t add consumer functionality to the system, but instead was advertised as a mandatory “security update”. Unfortunately, if you were one of millions of people that were upgrading your hard drive around this time, the 3.56 update would effectively corrupt your system’s software so that it wouldn’t even start, i.e. a virus. Sony released 3.56 version 2 on February 2, 2011, which if you still have access to the original hard drive that you used before the upgrade, may be a means to get your system working again. However, if you no longer had the previous hard drive because it is no longer working or you had to erase it to use it for storage space, there was nothing you could do.

A call to Playstation support would be fruitless. The tech support and supervisors would spend hours denying that the issues exist, and that it must have been user error that caused the problem. These calls typically end with Sony’s representative offering to fix the damage that their own virus caused for over $100 per system affected. Here is one of many sony forums with nearly 600 posts of users affected throughout the world:

[pic - click to view]

System Update 3.56 Data Corrupted after Swap HDD - Official PlayStation® Community -PlayStation.com

Playstation 3 owners have spent up to $670 for just the system itself, up to $67 per game disc, and up to $30 dollars per downloadable game (which was stored on the hard drive that Sony corrupted with their virus). We have invested a great deal into Sony’s products, and due to their error/virus, our investment was destroyed callously and without warning. It has been exactly 2 weeks today that Sony has not addressed those affected by their actions and have profited with repair cost and new system sales due to this air of uncertainty. There are hundreds of affected users willing to sign a petition for a class action suit, and we could even setup an online petition on Facebook to reach more. I am currently contacting the appropriate websites to bring more awareness to this issue. Any recommendation or a.ssistance would be awesome.

[pic - click to view]

Re : System Update 3.56 Data Corrupted after Swap ... - Page 58 - Official PlayStation® Community -PlayStation.com

==============================
imageimageimageimage

Guess people are finally starting to sick of these PS3 Downgrades they keep receiving.

88 comments for "Forum Members Want To Sue Sony For 3.56 PS3 Firmware Update"

7 years ago '05        #2
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 7 years ago '04        #3
The Go 2 Guy 31 heat pts31
space
space
space
$3,715 | Props total: 10 10
LoL Sony lost, period. Did Microsoft ever see any hackers or people who breached the consoles security? Nope, they just let it go for awhile and found ways to combat it. Sony on the other hand is just screwing things up and all they can do is sue to try and recoup for their loss. Face it, the ps3 has reached it's peak and is done with. Take the L. Fanboy or not, u gotta face the truth and admit it.
 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM         #4
PR0TENTIAL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 intoxicated662 said:
LoL Sony lost, period. Did Microsoft ever see any hackers or people who breached the consoles security? Nope, they just let it go for awhile and found ways to combat it. Sony on the other hand is just screwing things up and all they can do is sue to try and recoup for their loss. Face it, the ps3 has reached it's peak and is done with. Take the L. Fanboy or not, u gotta face the truth and admit it.
There's JTAG consoles that run unsigned code, but those get banned once they hit Xbox LIVE. Things usually get patched quite quickly on 360 if there's a security flaw in a game. Sony's on a huge L streak.
 7 years ago '05        #5
JaiMega 
space
space
How's the modding scene on 360's end?

Is it safer than when MW2 first dropped?
 7 years ago '04        #6
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
A whole lotta Sony hate round these parts recently.
 7 years ago '04        #7
space
space
space
Yeah, even with the rrod Microsoft fixed them for free and gave u a 1 month xbl code for free. Sony, they charged me $100+ to fix my ylod and that's it. Was gonna get a ps3 but forget it, seems like every week it'll be a different experience with it as they keep downgrading it.
 02-12-2011, 04:36 PM         #8
PR0TENTIAL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kuruption said:
A whole lotta Sony hate round these parts recently.
Man... f**k a Sony Playstation.

JaiMega said:
How's the modding scene on 360's end?

Is it safer than when MW2 first dropped?
There hasn't been a ban wave since MW2. LT is pretty much undetectable. You should still take precautions though, such as waiting for games to be verified before burning and waiting until release dates to play them.
 7 years ago '04        #9
space
space
 ALLthewayLIVE said:
Man... f**k a Sony Playstation.
But you copped one. It's cool though.

[pic - click to view]

I respect your decision though. Me, being a fanboy is just hard work. I miss out on s**t I really want to play that way.

Last edited by KURUPTION!!!; 02-12-2011 at 04:55 PM..
 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM         #10
PR0TENTIAL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kuruption said:
But you copped one. It's cool though.

[pic - click to view]

I did cop one, and I already got my refund.
 7 years ago '05        #11
JaiMega 
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Still copping a Kinect though.
 7 years ago '04        #12
space
space
 ALLthewayLIVE said:
I did cop one, and I already got my refund.
You still copped. Fanboys don't do that.
 7 years ago '04        #13
space
space
 JaiMega said:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '06        #14
Jhnnyblz427 175 heat pts175
space
space
$35,300 | Props total: 18234 18234
 kuruption said:

[pic - click to view]

02-12-2011, 05:02 PM         #15
PR0TENTIAL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kuruption said:
You still copped. Fanboys don't do that.
I got rid of it within a week, that has to count for something.
 7 years ago '04        #16
space
space
 ALLthewayLIVE said:
I got rid of it within a week, that has to count for something.
It does. I don't get your sig though how is KZ3 not the best FPS this year when none have come out? You gonna say Bulletstorm is better?

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #17
space
space
space
This just in, official street news: Playstation 3 users fed up with Sony's antics strike back and go all out at a Sony Rep. Peep the video

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh48ryzeS5z15Upp6B
 7 years ago '04        #18
space
space
space
 kuruption said:
It does. I don't get your sig though how is KZ3 not the best FPS this year when none have come out? You gonna say Bulletstorm is better?

[pic - click to view]

fall back, gears of war 3 will be out later this year. we're in february and you're already saying kz3 gonna be the best fps this year what a joke. there are 10 months left and there are unannounced games still. k!llzone is way over rated and I played kz2 a few times, nothing special to me. reminds me of blacklight tango down really and that's a low budget $15 arcade game
 7 years ago '05        #19
JaiMega 
space
space
Didn't dude add me on PS3 the other day.
 7 years ago '05        #20
JaiMega 
space
space
 kuruption said:

[pic - click to view]

s**ts a joke, looks like punch out.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
138 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago