Feb 8 - College is a waste for teens? 8 alternatives to college

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nobody pulling out of Jesenia Echeverria :noahohno:
42 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
58 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
118 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
180 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM         #61
Jerseyelite89 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Joe Budden said:
Another thing is: you have to inspire other people. I hear people talk about dreams and what they want to do, but I never see them attempt anything.

I went up to this guy in class today who is interested in film. I told him let's do a documentary here on campus. Prior to me coming to him, he had no ambition to do something like this anytime soon.

If I see people on campus filming things or doing anything interesting, I walk up and ask what's going on and I want to know how I can get involved.

We have the resources right here, why are we waiting until we graduate to come up with this excellent idea? We have all the people here that will support us.

And we started coming up with all of these ideas and we even noted that there are some other smart people in class who are not doing anything with their talents.

You can't be afraid to attempt something. You have to take action.

so true before college my vision of what my music and talent could do was limited by my own standards, but being in that environment you meet the ppl who play like cello or flute or evgen tribal instruments and even professors who have recording experience and studio space...its all about meeting ppl damn just watch the social network
 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM         #62
formerchico 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I disagree with this statement! While the original idea of college may have been to get smart, it has evolved into it's current state which is, a means to earn more money in life. The difference between a person with a degree and one without one is several to tens of thousand dollars a year. Second, one doesn't have to acquire student loans with all of the available financial aid there is that goes unused yearly, and other alternative programs to earn money to go to school such as the military. Lastly, while the alternative listed would be nice, where would one acquire the capital to start a business (much less garner the expertise to run a successful business) or fund a trip around the world. Sad to say but these things aren't practical and more black people need to encourage their children to go to school...

GrezyNclean said:

[pic - click to view]

It's been nearly a year since Formula Capital's James Altucher discussed his theory on why sending your kids to college is a bad idea. The segment proved to be one of Tech Ticker's most popular...and controversial of 2010.

More recently, a report based on the book Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses found that after two years of college, 45% of students learned little to nothing. After four years, 36% of students learned almost nothing. (See: Brain Drain: Most College Students Learn Next to Nothing, New Study Says.)

Meanwhile, the cost of college keeps rising -- 20 times the rate of inflation and much faster than say healthcare costs -- and student loan debt keeps growing. As of mid-2010, U.S. student loan debt totaled $850 billion vs. $828 billion for credit card debt, according to the Federal Reserve.

So with more people coming around to the idea that maybe Altucher is onto something (vs. being on something), the money manager and author is back with a follow-up: The 8 Alternatives to College:

-- Start a business.
-- Work for a charity.
-- Travel the world.
-- Create art.
-- Master a sport.
-- Master a game.
-- Write a book.
-- Make people laugh.

"Whenever I suggest 'don't send your kids to college' a lot of very smart people invariably come back with the response, ‘well what else should they do?'," Altucher writes on his blog. "So I figure I will help people out by coming up with a list and try to handle the criticisms that will certainly arise even before they arise. I can do this because I have a college degree. So I've learned how to think and engage in repartee with other intelligent people."

In the accompanying video, Altucher "repartees" with Henry and me about his alternatives to college and addresses the most powerful thing working on behalf of higher education: The huge gap in employment between those with and without college degrees.

7 years ago '08        #63
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,873 | Props total: 1153 1153
You need an education for anything, but you don't need college! You can apprentice with electronics shops or mech shops, you can play a sport/game/driving well enough to enter amatuer and then pro, become a comedian (if you funny) Join the military and learn how to k!ll, or like me do that and learn sat communications and networking. You can make money becoming a real estate agent, but in this economy who knows how that's come out. There are alot of alternatives to going to a traditional 2/4 yr college. But either way you need to be talented and educated in what your doing and willing to work hard. It should go with out saying, but.... hey!
 7 years ago '05        #64
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,197 | Props total: 15715 15715
I joined the military, because I knew college wasn't for me after graduating high school. My job (Supply Management)is in high demand on the outside world. So after I retire i'm set. You will always need material handlers, supply techinicans, etc.

My 20 year experience in supply>>>>a degree in that same field.
 7 years ago '06        #65
johnny 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,098 | Props total: 211 211
i agree with Altucher, you can't learn how to be intelligent by simply going to college.

Last edited by johnny; 02-09-2011 at 02:36 PM..
 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM         #66
freakbucket 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Woodwin said:
n*ggas need money to do those things most times though...then they get caught up working like a slave and can never really do what they wanna do. some people are lucky tho
true.

However, I think you should go to college and get that piece of crap degree...THEN go do whatever you want to do. So if you fail, or dont get the success you thought you would, then you can fallback on that.
 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM         #67
eNcrypTioN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This s**t is stupid...

Sorry college is the truth for majority of people...

at mastering a game. Talk about setting kids up to fail
 7 years ago '07        #68
MythMade 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,728 | Props total: 5 5
The problem I see with people in college is seeing a lot of students majoring in "Business." I look at them like, what exactly do you plan on doing with such a broad degree? Business majors are just in college because mommy and daddy are making them.

I myself know exactly what I want to do when I graduate. I am majoring in RTVF(Radio, Television, and Film) to pursue a sports broadcasting career. I am getting hands-on experience in my major that will apply to me in the job market.
 7 years ago '05        #69
Dun Language 3970 heat pts3970
space
space
$75,849 | Props total: 30042 30042
im a professional slacker. i studied in high school
 7 years ago '10        #70
Shii 
space
space
$291 | Props total: 0 0
 Screwhead said:
Small businesses are responsible for MOST of this country's jobs, past and present.
that may be true, but starting a small business in this day and age when walmart has american consumers in a deathgrip is probably not the best alternative to college. especially if that person has no idea what they're doing since they didnt go to college for business
 7 years ago '05        #71
C-Stylez 18 heat pts18
space
space
space
$594 | Props total: 5 5
To those who think that going to college is not the best route to a wealthy and successful life i say this.......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
 7 years ago '11        #72
Ichiban Mugen 8 heat pts
space
space
$694 | Props total: 191 191
 MythMade said:
The problem I see with people in college is seeing a lot of students majoring in "Business." I look at them like, what exactly do you plan on doing with such a broad degree? Business majors are just in college because mommy and daddy are making them.
True...to a degree. I majored in Business in undergrad, now I'm in Grad and I know exactly what I want to do. Plus, I know a s**t ton more than my classmates and the other older students about turning profit on intellectual property/etc. Also, having majored in Business I know how to sell myself and my goods.

Conversely, I know a ton of my classmates from Undergrad that majored in Business to work for a corporation. Now, 2 years from graduation, they're feeling burned out and don't know what to do with their lives...they're searching for meaning.

Go to college to learn/educate yourself, but don't expect all the lessons to come in the classroom. The greatest lessons I learned in Undergrad where through self-exploration (n/h) and education. Libraries, Documentaries, Museums, Open dialog, etc....all that s**t is free, capitalize on them. I can ALWAYS go back and get an entry level position somewhere, I know the material and I'm far more intelligent than most, but I'd rather take a shot now than wait my whole life in fear for something to happen to me.

Also, I ORIGINALLY went to college to get away. I'm not from the HOOD-hood, but I'm from a gully a.ss city (Detroit). I knew there wasn't s**t for me there, so I dipped...I plan to help the city, but you can't help anyone/anything if you don't grow first yourself. College can be that growth period, its more than just classes.

That's my tirade for the day.
 7 years ago '04        #73
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 Tic Toc said:
Come on now boss...i know you KNOW that NOTHING is guaranteed in life...right??

but it does give you options, and isnt that better than not having any?
Options are always good.

But who says you wouldn't have any options w/out a degree?

That itself, is the point of the article.
 7 years ago '07        #74
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 J.R. Hyphy said:
Let me ask you this... If I do not desire to earn financially, the amount difference between a person who has a degree (and one who doesn't), then why else is college essential?

Also, do any of you people who are in college have a trade?
The social experience and the people skills one could potentially develop in such an environment?

Tried to say it before, but college is really just that buffer period to make the transition from teenager no one respects to young adult someone older might actually listen to and respect. It's shameful and not true for everyone, but it does exist.
 7 years ago '04        #75
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 Shii said:
that may be true, but starting a small business in this day and age when walmart has american consumers in a deathgrip is probably not the best alternative to college. especially if that person has no idea what they're doing since they didnt go to college for business
Thorough planning in advance is key in starting a small business, and college is not the only way to learn about how to best manage a business.

And "China Mart" is not the only monopolistic competitor to worry about.

With any massive ordeal in life, you have to do your research to be best prepared.

There are seminars, lectures you can attend to learn how to manage or start a business.

And the books that college kids use in their classes, you can buy those in a bookstore, or check out from a library.
 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM         #76
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
College is where it's at, why take a risk by yourself trying to start your own business when you can come to college and meet people who are interested in business and may have an idea but no capital or a partner who is willing to take half the risk.

Out in the real world you are not going to find anyone who cares about starting a business. You might be able to log on to some forum that pertain to entrepreneurship, but let's face it, unless you have this brilliant idea your small business is statistically going to fail.

While these major corporations are only hiring guys with degrees. Why not get a degree and a high paying job, save some money and then try to start your own business. What's going to happen when your small business collapses?

Like I said, you meet life-long friends. College is like its own secret society, except they are not a secret. It's not easy selling drugs.The competition is the say way. Nothing in life is easy. Pick something and hope it pays off (rolls dice).
 7 years ago '04        #77
mistabeecee41 16 heat pts16
space
space
$599 | Props total: 207 207
Aside from the obvious benefits of going to college....

It's an experience you will never forget.
 7 years ago '04        #78
SpittN4Cash 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,388 | Props total: 592 592
 Killamike79 said:
I joined the military, because I knew college wasn't for me after graduating high school. My job (Supply Management)is in high demand on the outside world. So after I retire i'm set. You will always need material handlers, supply techinicans, etc.

My 20 year experience in supply>>>>a degree in that same field.
^^^military experience >>>_____

if you can transition your position to the civilian world.
The author says college is a waste but he doesnt even mention the military :hmm:
 IronMaiden said:
-- Start a business. (need money, banks won't loan it to uneducated morons)
-- Work for a charity. (mcdonalds pays more)
-- Travel the world. (need to money to travel, travel doesnt pay)
-- Create art. (most artist are poor)
-- Master a sport. (easier said then done)
-- Master a game. (1/1000000 people master a game to the point where it pays more then minimum wage)
-- Write a book. (most people go through college to get the education required to write a proper book)
-- Make people laugh. (most comics are poor or make significantly less then someone who went to college)

college a waste? those things are a waste.

jplaydadon said:
this is so dumb. just having access to the library at college alone is enough reason to go. man i checked out some nietzche and comsky yesterday and im goin back for more when i get done on some other s**t. its so much information at schools, so much s**t you dont know that people ahve taken out the time or dedicated their lives to studying, that not learning it when given the chance is ludicrous. you definitely get outta college what you put in. you shouldnt go to be some super capitalist, you should go to learn.

college isnt for everybody. but it is like paradise to us intellectuals

eNcrypTioN said:
This s**t is stupid...

Sorry college is the truth for majority of people...

at mastering a game. Talk about setting kids up to fail

C-Stylez said:
To those who think that going to college is not the best route to a wealthy and successful life i say this.......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Tic Toc said:
Come on now boss...i know you KNOW that NOTHING is guaranteed in life...right??

but it does give you options, and isnt that better than not having any?
:agreement6:

it upsets me when people say college is a waste, only because they feel its too expensive. Statistically, College graduates make an average of $1 MILLION dollars more than people who only have a High school diploma. The degree pays for itself.

Also you only have to look at the Employment statistics to know that this article is misleading. How can you say "college is a waste" when the unemployment rate for College graduates is 4.7%...Unemployment for High school graduates is twice as high at 9.4%

:cash:
 02-09-2011, 07:02 PM         #79
Pat McGroin 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
-- Start a business.
-- Work for a charity.
-- Travel the world.
-- Create art.
-- Master a sport.
-- Master a game.
-- Write a book.
-- Make people laugh.
Soooo what he is saying, Think of an Idea like Zuckerberg, Beg for money to travel the world, be the next picasso, Play in the NFL, for games be the next chess player Fisher, and for make people laugh see you guys later dave chapelle...

the only thing that works is writing a book....
 7 years ago '08        #80
606robin 24 heat pts24
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 3422 3422
[QUOTE=ra1n;18366632]lmfao this is idiotic...

-- Start a business. - in this s**tty economy? get real. plus over 50% of businesses fail first year.

Creating one and building it isn't a dumb idea, The amount of time looking for individual work could be used to brainstorm a business just have to make the sacrifices, Our greatest innovations and business ideas have all came from economic strain and turmoil. An I believe it will work for those that "actually" have an idea not for the dumb n*ggas that just don't wanna have to actually put work in, If the government actually put less s**t into the defense budget(whole family military don't trip,but we don't believe in the spending procedure but also understand you end the war and pull people out.. Most of those people won't be able to make it especially in this economy I've seen alot of people at my school down n out and homeless and such while in school) and s**t and focused on more business grants for the average joe's and s**t.. If more people my age "19" and up would quit hiding behind what they can't do to be productive and take incentive we can rebuild faster
Home         

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
260 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
76 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
29 comments
19 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
43 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
102 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside My Local Newscaster Has The Biggest Damn Head That I've Ever Seen *Pause
96 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The Rock has a message for The Avengers
38 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy