Feb 8 - College is a waste for teens? 8 alternatives to college

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
21 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM         #41
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
-- Start a business. (need money, banks won't loan it to uneducated morons)
-- Work for a charity. (mcdonalds pays more)
-- Travel the world. (need to money to travel, travel doesnt pay)
-- Create art. (most artist are poor)
-- Master a sport. (easier said then done)
-- Master a game. (1/1000000 people master a game to the point where it pays more then minimum wage)
-- Write a book. (most people go through college to get the education required to write a proper book)
-- Make people laugh. (most comics are poor or make significantly less then someone who went to college)

college a waste? those things are a waste.
 7 years ago '04        #42
jplaydadon 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,914 | Props total: 634 634
this is so dumb. just having access to the library at college alone is enough reason to go. man i checked out some nietzche and comsky yesterday and im goin back for more when i get done on some other s**t. its so much information at schools, so much s**t you dont know that people ahve taken out the time or dedicated their lives to studying, that not learning it when given the chance is ludicrous. you definitely get outta college what you put in. you shouldnt go to be some super capitalist, you should go to learn.
 7 years ago '11        #43
Ichiban Mugen 8 heat pts
space
space
$694 | Props total: 193 193
 I-NeeD-$$$ said:
The main thing this dude failed to mention is SACRIFICE.

In order to make any of this a reality you first have to dedicate your whole existence to not only mastering your skill, but also sacrificing everything in your life to be successful at it. Which means regardless of how hard it gets and how much you struggle.. you cant give up, cause you will have absolutely NOTHING to fall back on.

Which is where 98% of the people that attempt to do this s**t will fall off..

For all that he might as well of put building your own rocket ship and living on another planet, or slaying a dragon and having a princess fall madly in love with you on this list.
^This
 7 years ago '11        #44
Ichiban Mugen 8 heat pts
space
space
$694 | Props total: 193 193
Or you could go to college for free/the government's dollar AND start a business...

That's what Bill Gates/Zuckerburg/Rick Rubin did...
 7 years ago '05        #45
KDE21K 
space
space
space
$567 | Props total: 245 245
i think hes right but at base you will need money to do any of these things. If your a trust fund kid go for it. Otherwise get a decent mid level job. Having theight connections was more of the old skool way, you have to have degrees to match nowadays.
 7 years ago '06        #46
kpdawg2006 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,821 | Props total: 186 186
this is a wasted article, half of the s**t on the list u should use college for
 7 years ago '04        #47
YoDoods 22 heat pts22
space
space
$8,917 | Props total: 741 741
Im 30 years old with a wife and two kids.

I didnt start going to college until I was 28 and at this point I cant afford to not work so I have to attend school part time in the evenings or take online classes. After two years at a CC I still dont have my a.ssociates but Ill actually be wrapping that up next spring and then transferring to Wichita States Business school for a degree in Human Resource Management.

Like most young people I had no clue wtf I wanted to do after high school I didnt think furthering my education was my route. Basically I was a knucklehead got into trouble and worked s**t jobs until I was 25. Hell I remember having females laughing at me when I tried to holler because I told them I was working fast food at 22.

Now? Im an entry level HR Generalist for a decent company. Pay isnt good but its great experience. Ive got a late start so I have to bust my a.ss everyday to make up for lost time. Im doing all my undergrad stuff now in school and how does it pertain to what I'm doing now? Not alot but the English classes and some of the business courses have helped. I barely passed Pre-Algebra in high school but recently got a B in Calculus last semester.

IMO when the economy starts normalizing and jobs have a better outlook, companies are going to require you to have some sort of degree. I dont care is you're cleaning toilets their going to want something. The thing that many employers look at when it comes to education is not only do you have the certificate to show them but it also shows dedication (to finish). Employers want dedication.

Yeah you can do the stuff in the original list. But like ol dude said its about Sacrifice. It costs to be the boss whether its going to school or playing basketball. One way or another you have to give up something to get something you want. Be realistic in your goals and always have a plan.
 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM         #48
WeBeRollin 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the idea of this s**tty theory is right. 90% of the material you learn in college has no relevance to what you actually want to do unless you go to a tech school. i'm going to grad school next year and i bet only 3 courses i learned in 4 years has relevance to what i'm going to learn overall. such bulls**ttery and a waste of money but hopefully it'll pay the bills when the time comes
 7 years ago '04        #49
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 J.R. Hyphy said:
LOL, get the f**k outta here. The corporation of the USA was founded on free labor, that sounds damn dependent, on the people.
I know the history of this country.

Besides trying to show off what you THINK you know, what's your point?

J.R. Hyphy said:
All of this is based on what you view as success. College degrees have only been around for a short period in human history. A lot of you cats on this here website don't know how to survive though. When all odds are against you.
And college won't teach you a damn thing about that.

Which is why many graduates don't have a clue of what to do when they get out, other than what they are told to do.....apply for a job.
 7 years ago '04        #50
Quontal 
space
space
$490 | Props total: 72 72
this Article Is Wack.. and Untrue...Are they Serious.. If you dont have a Cornerstone.. You Cant Build Dig..(Money).And Most people's CornerStone is a College Degree.. Doesnt matter if they're not learning anything...That degree Is the most important Part....
 7 years ago '04        #51
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,165 | Props total: 874 874
 RAZAH CUTS said:
silliest s**t i done read in awhile....

black/latino males, DO NOT take that s**t at face value
THIS

J.R. Hyphy said:
All of this is based on what you view as success. College degrees have only been around for a short period in human history. A lot of you cats on this here website don't know how to survive though. When all odds are against you.
dude read history and you will see that empires like Kush, Songhai, Mali, the greeks and chinese all had universities that trained people to become intellectuals...although when they fell their educational systems did as well.

youngen said:
the US education system is a f**king joke.

well the undergraduate is anyway...the graduate programs are better.
Right, this is why people from all over the world come to the U.S. to get educated

Honestly, it all depends on how you value education and what you see as education. I have a masters degree, but im not making the money I want to be making and I got a lil bit of student debt. I thought about getting a PHD, I got accepted to like 4 different programs, but I didnt go because of the thought of being in debt over $200,000 when im done. To me that's slavery, but I would encourage anybody who hasnt been to college to go and see what its about. To me experience is one's greatest teacher, so go and experience what it has to offer. If you dont like it, travel abroad and take classes in another country, but dont discount college and say its not what it should be...and if that is the case, then maybe YOU didnt take it as serious as you should, because everything is ultimately up to you and your approach to the things.

But I can only speak (or type) from a perspective of things i've seen or experienced ....GOTO COLLEGE SEE WHAT IT HAS TO OFFER
 7 years ago '04        #52
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 Quontal said:
this Article Is Wack.. and Untrue...Are they Serious.. If you dont have a Cornerstone.. You Cant Build Dig..(Money).And Most people's CornerStone is a College Degree.. Doesnt matter if they're not learning anything...That degree Is the most important Part....
And if the degree doesn't help?

A college degree doesn't guarantee a job anymore.
 7 years ago '04        #53
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
 Screwhead said:
Come on now boss...i know you KNOW that NOTHING is guaranteed in life...right??

but it does give you options, and isnt that better than not having any?
 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM         #54
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ichiban Mugen said:
Or you could go to college for free/the government's dollar AND start a business...

That's what Bill Gates/Zuckerburg/Rick Rubin did...
Oh course, a lot of people don't see the article's perspective. This guy probably has to pay every single dime.

If you are in the ghetto, go to college, study hard and you'll have a free ride (as long as there is a four year institution near by). As long as you don't have to live in the dorms, you'll have a free ride if you make the grades.

Is it a waste of time? No, you meet interesting people and learn more. (Let's face it, you're actually going to learn something new in college.)

Is it a waste of cash? Unfortunately, for someone paying out of their pocket and not getting the job they want, yes, it's a waste of money.

If you are broke living in the ghetto, I dare you say anything disrespecting about college. The rich are mad because their spoiled brats are wasting their hard earned money.
 7 years ago '04        #55
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
 Joe Budden said:
O
Is it a waste of cash? Unfortunately, for someone paying out of their pocket and not getting the job they want, yes, it's a waste of money.
I liked the stuff you had to say, But if you get something out of it like experience, perspective, a sick network, etc. how is that a waste of money...

I've noticed that a lot of people are brought up with this instant gratification/entitled attitude...its not like that people, you have to work to pay your way, nothing is given, nothing happens over night.

Get educated, Get in where you fit in, move your way up, get your mind right, and start your own...Not saying that college gives you that mentality but it definitely gives you that option
 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM         #56
Jerseyelite89 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ignorance 1. college is really for the degree and the contacts ex. george bush 2. logic like this is why countries we sent our experts to in the 60's 70's and 80's are surpassing us now
 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM         #57
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Tic Toc said:
I liked the stuff you had to say, But if you get something out of it like experience, perspective, a sick network, etc. how is that a waste of money...

I've noticed that a lot of people are brought up with this instant gratification/entitled attitude...its not like that people, you have to work to pay your way, nothing is given, nothing happens over night.

Get educated, Get in where you fit in, move your way up, get your mind right, and start your own...Not saying that college gives you that mentality but it definitely gives you that option
And a lot of people are only looking at the end results. There are so many variables that could change your life in the future that happen in college.

You meet new friends and those friends become life long buddies. It becomes sort of an open society. You are going to be bias. If someone who attended the same school you attended is applying for a job, they'll probably hire you.

No matter what, you have now just adopted this new opportunity in your life. It doesn't matter if college grads are working at supermarkets. We will be getting those jobs while you other guys continue to get kicked down the ladder.

You never know what direction a person is heading. One of your friends might strike oil and change your life over night.

If we continue to live in this world where we pretend everyone is out here for themselves, you'll be out here by yourself.

Although institutions aren't the Illuminati or anything, I believe there is an invisible hand guiding there different people from different schools.
 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM         #58
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Another thing is: you have to inspire other people. I hear people talk about dreams and what they want to do, but I never see them attempt anything.

I went up to this guy in class today who is interested in film. I told him let's do a documentary here on campus. Prior to me coming to him, he had no ambition to do something like this anytime soon.

If I see people on campus filming things or doing anything interesting, I walk up and ask what's going on and I want to know how I can get involved.

We have the resources right here, why are we waiting until we graduate to come up with this excellent idea? We have all the people here that will support us.

And we started coming up with all of these ideas and we even noted that there are some other smart people in class who are not doing anything with their talents.

You can't be afraid to attempt something. You have to take action.
 7 years ago '04        #59
TYT 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,441 | Props total: 61 61
in this s**tty economy getting a degree makes more sense than ever.

invest in something that doesn't pay you RIGHT NOW so that you can get PAID LATER (when economy is back up)

thats why im getting my masters now
 7 years ago '04        #60
TYT 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,441 | Props total: 61 61
 Screwhead said:
And if the degree doesn't help?

its true, the college degree is the new high school diploma........ applying for decent starting jobs without one aint happening
Home         

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now