Feb 8 - College is a waste for teens? 8 alternatives to college

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
30 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
239 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
28 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM         #21
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That master a sport s**t is def no cake walk, youll have to practice your a.ss off day in and out if you Want to be truly Ill at whatever sport you"re doing.

Then you have 1,000 of young dudes working JUST as hard if not harder than you at the same s**t. Sometimes when it comes to sports either you have it or you don't.

I'm on that s**t right now though, just took a break... It's hard as hell going to school, working and then trying to find days to "practice", you gotta work to get money to buy your equipment, or your plane tickets whenever you, your team and your coach leaves for a trip, etc.

Out of all the dudes I went to school with that sworn they were the second coming of Jordan, from elementary, jr high to high school, I don't see NOT ONE of them on tv or hear about them in the paper.

you have to be on Some other s**t to master a sport, go pro and get paid like crazy.
 7 years ago '05        #22
Afnorth123 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,422 | Props total: 247 247
college isnt for everyone which is why alot of people dont "learn" anything while their there

i learned alot so far and right now i'm taking classes all revelant to my field only so I'm learning alot more
I've learned SAP, Oracle, and Access as well as Visible Anaylst and Visual Basic

so to succeed in college you pretty much have to want to..

Pick a major that Genuinely Interests you...Dont go picking mechanical engineering if you suck at math just becuase of how much they make thats why most people fail they pick s**t they see has a fat paycheck

The successful people picked s**t they were really good at or really wanted to do

i still remeber going ot one of my math professors office for help and this cat had Books about quantum physics and s**t because he f**king loved math
 7 years ago '04        #23
Rsx-T 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$742 | Props total: 0 0
 TERRANCE CRACK said:
nahhh u gotta go if u wanna get a good job...just dont major in something f**king stupid
^^^

Going to school is one of the best things you can do for your future . It takes money money to make money . Banking on your future can bring you great wealth if you choose the right path. Yes, there are people with College degrees that are unemployed , thats just life .

Some of those things to do on his list all can be done with minimal money . But all take money to start up . I'm sure there are people that are already doing what hes recommending .

Wheres winning the lottery ? Inventing a snuggy 2.0 lol
 7 years ago '04        #24
LikeABoss38701 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,416 | Props total: 1572 1572
You guys can take this bulls**t serious if you want to... I'm currently in my last year of grad school, I'm pursing my master's degree in business administration... Of course I feel education is important... The real world don't want to hear from you if you don't have a degree backing up your name up... Every1 can't be a Lebron James or a Justin beiber...

& to the guy that says college isn't for every1... Youre right... If you're not determined, then you might as well stay home... But I feel if you can come onto a website & blog then you can go in a classroom & discuss as well... In my 5 yrs of college, I have been classmates with ppl in their 70's, handicap folks, rich, & poor people struggling to pay tutition... But if you pray & stay focus, won't nothing stop you!

Now every1 thinks starting their own business is the answer... Okay... Lets say you do that... Start your own little business... Invest everything you have into it... Be successful for 10yrs then all of the sudden a supercenter like Wal mart comes & shuts your stuff down, leaving you with nothing... Ain't nobody going to feel sorry for you because you lack the proper education on what to do in that situation... Now you have to pay people that studied in that area to give you a strategy that will save your a.ss.. Basically to sum this s**t up... Go to college ppl... It will make life a lot easier in the long run!
 7 years ago '04        #25
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
 GrezyNclean said:
-- Start a business.
-- Create art.

F-ck college. As much as I enjoyed the girls, the friends I made, and all the $2,000+ check refunds from the gov't, college wasn't for me and I'm glad I dropped out.

To each their own though.
 7 years ago '04        #26
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 I-NeeD-$$$ said:
So im a.ssuming you're 100% independent then huh?
It's called being an adult.

I-NeeD-$$$ said:
The fact is the average person is a WORKER.
So?

I-NeeD-$$$ said:
Yea that bulls**t you talkin sounds good and all... but if it really came to down to havin to hustle for every single piece of food on their plate most of em wouldn't survive... Period.
Nothing comes without sacrifice or a risk.

That's what life is all about.

If there are people who can't somehow make it, for whatever reason, that's on them....

It's called being an adult.

If they are adults, they have the responsibility to provide for themselves and their families.

It is not the responsibility of SOMEONE ELSE to provide for someone else.....that's ALSO what it means to be independent.
 7 years ago '06        #27
luckluck 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,907 | Props total: 97 97
College is about learning about yourself moreso than learning a particular discipline. You learn about your work ethic, ability to multi task, organizing your life, priorities etc. You start to learn about how life and the world really works if you play it right. Interaction with others, intellectual debates and things of that sort should work itself into your college education. You have to make the most of it. College can be an invaluable tool in life experience if you take advantage of it, because it is a microcosm of the real world, but sadly many people don't. And in the process you just might learn a little something. Pop open the damn textbook. Don't just do enough to get by and you'll learn some s**t.
 7 years ago '04        #28
HarlemzBishopJ 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,596 | Props total: 254 254
This thread just shows how small some people think.
 7 years ago '10        #29
HeyCobra 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,062 | Props total: 2 2
college is weird, i wish i knew when i went to college i was decideing my life in a way.

your 18, and when i was 18 i didnt really no what i wanted.

that being said. college is full of bulls**t courses, a good amount they make you take for no reason, but alot of places want that piece of paper or your not getting that job.

its not really about what you take as much as its about that 4-5 year commitment when it comes to alot of jobs.
 7 years ago '07        #30
killahkazi 15 heat pts15
space
space
$4,795 | Props total: 39 39
I learned alot in college. Not just some just educational s**t, but about life and about myself. It's not for everybody, but it worked for me.

Plus dude said 38% didn't learn anything? That still means you most likely will. This dude must of not got accepted in the school he wanted back in the day and has devoted his life in trying to make everybody else seem stupid.
 7 years ago '04        #31
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,222 | Props total: 2220 2220
The funny thing is dude that wrote the article has a degree lol....

College is needed in almost every type of job nowadays...this isn't the 70s-80s where you can get a good paying job without a degree....You also need to know a little bit about business to actually start your own business....you need some schooling for that...
 7 years ago '04        #32
LikeABoss38701 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,416 | Props total: 1572 1572
.... Homie said..... "he heard..." a master's in business don't mean s**t... Lol I think y'all folks need to do a lil research FOR YOURSELF... lol... Y'all dudes are crazy thinking you're just going to blow up like Russell Simmons, Diddy, or Master p... Keep dreaming... That's a 1 in a million chance of that actually happening... Research the top highest paying degrees... & see what number MBA come in at...
 7 years ago '09        #33
LLCOOLFERN 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,231 | Props total: 624 624
Be smart about the career you choose. People live and get sick. EMT,Nurse, a.ssistant. People are criminals. Police, sheriff, CO. People learn. Teacher, counselor. Choose something that always has a need. Too many people buy into that "You can be whatever you want, if you set your mind to it". It takes time, dedication, and motivation. Some have it, many don't.
 7 years ago '05        #34
trb_5 
space
space
$5,357 | Props total: 751 751
people dont learn anything in college cuz alot of them dont know what they wanna do and just choose business as their major and then get bored and dont give two s**ts about what they learning....im a bio major about to graduate this semester and start applying to medical school, and i dont blame ppl for not learning s**t when some of their majors like sociology and communications aint teaching s**t to begin with...

all i know is....i look at ppl differently that have a bulls**t major....its like you basically dont care about your life and just want an easy 4 years so you can graduate and then be confused, broke, and crying for a job

im glad i have nothing but school in sight for years to come cuz i learn about s**t interests me, and i know will take me places.....but what do you expect from people taking interpersonal communication when its all common sense

college is about becoming a better person than when you started...if you graduate a better more developed person, than your college experience was successful...i know alot of n*ggas that didnt go to college and they just dont exhibit the same growth and development as ppl in college
 7 years ago '04        #35
youngen 
space
space
space
$3,027 | Props total: 160 160
Lets keep in mind this is a US college study...not anywhere else. the US education system is a f**king joke.

well the undergraduate is anyway...the graduate programs are better.

now that we got that out of the way - yes...many students forget what they learned really fast because due to a heavy work load most of us are forced to cram extremly hard...and what we cram lasts a good month before we start to forget..

BUT - theres a few things everyone learns in college (if u make it through)...responsibility is one of them...but most notably "how to study"...no body knows how to study going into college. they just think they do. if you look at everyones studying patters in year 1 and year 4 youl see a drastic difference. its a talent that you actually perfect. and its extremly helpful...

besides - u cant give uneducated people top jobs. it makes no sense for someone who has no idea or background of building financial statements and analysis to work as a director of finance...article is dumb as s**t if u ask me.
 7 years ago '05        #36
Tounw 23 heat pts23
space
space
$3,004 | Props total: 209 209
All you really need is.a high school diploma.and knowing your drive and passion...then you have to pursue it, that is what "college" teaches you its like a long a.ss movie that can be a.trilogy or a tv mini seris, either way it goes your investing money. We live in a day and a age where information is universally free on a silver platter but we consistanly ket ourselves get distracted with this f**kin media and thats how you stay in the hole...then have. Dead end job that f!ghts with your drive to be better, but who said life would be.easy, but ol dude forgot one thing... thats to sell your soul to the devil, and then get indibted (sp) into the illuminiti lol
 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM         #37
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm currently attending college. You can go to college for free. Colleges are posting lectures online and there are tons of information on the Internet. The only thing that will prevent you from getting the job is a piece of paper saying you have the knowledge.

College is really opening me up and making me not afraid to chase my goals, and that's the difference between college kids and kids on the streets. They don't have the balls to take advantage of these easy ways to potentially make money.

Why not write a book? What do you have to lose? If you are not going to college, why not sit down and write? And that's the thing, many people don't believe they have what it takes to become a writer so they procrastinate and never get anything done.

Yeah, I go to college, but I used college to make people respect me. For some strange reason people seem to think college kids are really smart. When in reality they are normal people who took the time to study.
 7 years ago '04        #38
Ace2125 25 heat pts25
space
space
$5,325 | Props total: 513 513
 TheCityOnMyMind said:
half these things need money to do, if your poor how you gonna create art with no money to buy supplies, No money to start a business, or travel.

I tried college but i needed money more then education. I found a good job and is paying well. I'd say im doing quite well for myself seeing that im 22, have my own place, and pretty squared away.
it cost money to go to school whats the got damn differents. silly sh*t man people need to think outside the box more
 7 years ago '07        #39
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
College is really just a four-year segue from stupid teenager to idiotic young adult. There are plenty of alternatives to dedicating oneself to school -- all of them involve I-Need-$$$'s brilliant post about SACRIFICE, and the rest requires follow through.

If you go to college with an idea, or some kind of strategy, then maybe you can come away with enough information to be successful in one of the things this hippie James Altucher suggested as an alternative. Everyone mentioning money is also spot on. This suggestion seems to work well for kids from families that are stable enough and couldn't find the financial aid office with a map.

Regardless, you can start a business without a degree, but will you have the background to succeed? You can try to write a book, but which publisher is going to give an advance to someone who hasn't mastered their prose?

Overall, this isn't an argument against the institution of college, but more an indictment on unmotivated students. You get out of college what you put into it. And through my experience, most people are focused on getting drunk/high, partying, getting laid, and blowing off exams -- without establishing a balance. It's independence without the responsibility of adulthood, and it all results in unprepared 20-somethings.

Now if the objective is to make kids stop feeling like college is just a means to an end, then I agree. But that means the education system needs to change from the beginning and teach people the importance of individuality rather than conditioning them to a life of 9-to-5 doldrums from the time we're 5.
 7 years ago '07        #40
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
I'm still reading through the post and feeling like some of you are looking at it as one or the other. It's not so black and white. The key is finding a balance between your personal goals and the education necessary to achieve them.

If you're bright, you're bright, and you might have better luck. If you're not, you'll constantly make bad impressions and no one in a position to push you along will ever trust you.

Education is important. School, not so much. Maturing quickly, learning yourself, and establishing an aggressive, but humble approach to success is the only fast track I know. It's not as fast as we'd like it to be, but young kids need to learn that the degree and their schooling needs to be something they did and not who they are.
Home         

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
107 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
56 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
145 comments
1 day ago