When Popeyes runs out of chicken
36 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
113 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #1
7333 pageviews
97 comments

GrezyNclean 172 heat pts172
space
space
$7,860 | Props total: 663 663
Feb 8 - College is a waste for teens? 8 alternatives to college

[pic - click to view]

It's been nearly a year since Formula Capital's James Altucher discussed his theory on why sending your kids to college is a bad idea. The segment proved to be one of Tech Ticker's most popular...and controversial of 2010.

More recently, a report based on the book Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses found that after two years of college, 45% of students learned little to nothing. After four years, 36% of students learned almost nothing. (See: Brain Drain: Most College Students Learn Next to Nothing, New Study Says.)

Meanwhile, the cost of college keeps rising -- 20 times the rate of inflation and much faster than say healthcare costs -- and student loan debt keeps growing. As of mid-2010, U.S. student loan debt totaled $850 billion vs. $828 billion for credit card debt, according to the Federal Reserve.

So with more people coming around to the idea that maybe Altucher is onto something (vs. being on something), the money manager and author is back with a follow-up: The 8 Alternatives to College:

-- Start a business.
-- Work for a charity.
-- Travel the world.
-- Create art.
-- Master a sport.
-- Master a game.
-- Write a book.
-- Make people laugh.

"Whenever I suggest 'don't send your kids to college' a lot of very smart people invariably come back with the response, ‘well what else should they do?'," Altucher writes on his blog. "So I figure I will help people out by coming up with a list and try to handle the criticisms that will certainly arise even before they arise. I can do this because I have a college degree. So I've learned how to think and engage in repartee with other intelligent people."

In the accompanying video, Altucher "repartees" with Henry and me about his alternatives to college and addresses the most powerful thing working on behalf of higher education: The huge gap in employment between those with and without college degrees.

[pic - click to view]

http://finance.yahoo.com/ .. ge-535903.html

97 comments for "Feb 8 - College is a waste for teens? 8 alternatives to college"

7 years ago '10        #2
dzPHL 
space
space
$1,123 | Props total: 0 0
the truth.. except people need jobs.

its all flawed
 7 years ago '05        #3
Woodwin 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,917 | Props total: 1489 1489
n*ggas need money to do those things most times though...then they get caught up working like a slave and can never really do what they wanna do. some people are lucky tho
 7 years ago '09        #4
Mr Chappelle 2 heat pts
space
space
$772 | Props total: 81 81
graduated high school and never enrolled for college.
don't plan on going until i'm wealthy and have time to spare.
and I am actually doing 3 of the suggested alternatives above.
 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM         #5
TheCityOnMyMind 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
half these things need money to do, if your poor how you gonna create art with no money to buy supplies, No money to start a business, or travel.

I tried college but i needed money more then education. I found a good job and is paying well. I'd say im doing quite well for myself seeing that im 22, have my own place, and pretty squared away.
 7 years ago '05        #6
TCV|m 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,997 | Props total: 27 27
 Mr Chappelle said:
graduated high school and never enrolled for college.
don't plan on going until i'm wealthy and have time to spare.
and I am actually doing 3 of the suggested alternatives above.
when they say 'master a game' theyre not talking about call of duty black ops
 7 years ago '09        #7
Mr Chappelle 2 heat pts
space
space
 TCV said:
when they say 'master a game' theyre not talking about call of duty black ops
rarely do I play video games.(so that's not one of the 3 alternatives I chose to pursue)
nice attempt though
 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM         #8
TheCityOnMyMind 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mr Chappelle said:
rarely do I play video games.(so that's not one of the 3 alternatives I chose to pursue)
nice attempt though
coming from a guy with sackboy in his avy..
 7 years ago '09        #9
TERRANCE CRACK 48 heat pts48
space
space
$8,193 | Props total: 51 51
nahhh u gotta go if u wanna get a good job...just dont major in something f**king stupid
 7 years ago '06        #10
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
just gotta have the right connects or make connects and youll be fine
 7 years ago '06        #11
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18890 18890
silliest s**t i done read in awhile....

black/latino males, DO NOT take that s**t at face value
 7 years ago '04        #12
lilroot 
space
space
space
$164 | Props total: 0 0
 RAZAH CUTS said:
silliest s**t i done read in awhile....

black/latino males, DO NOT take that s**t at face value
Do you not like hip hop, The NBA, The NFL? smh
 7 years ago '09        #13
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,700 | Props total: 13245 13245
Too bad we need an education to get a job
 7 years ago '04        #14
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
 zkid2121 said:
the truth.. except people need jobs.
Small businesses are responsible for MOST of this country's jobs, past and present.
 7 years ago '04        #15
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
 ra1n said:
lmfao this is idiotic...

-- Start a business. - in this s**tty economy? get real. plus over 50% of businesses fail first year.
-- Work for a charity. - is this gonna pay the bills? gtfo with that "self rewarding" bulls**t
-- Travel the world. - yeah, its easy to just get up and "travel" the f**king world :rolleyes:
-- Create art. - "all art is quite useless" - oscar wilde
-- Master a sport. - good for a hobby, have a better chance of getting struck by lightning then being a professional
-- Master a game. - ???
-- Write a book. - majority of people in this day and age have ADHD. people only wanna read facebook statuses and tweets.
-- Make people laugh. - how is this relevant?

that being said, degrees in challenging fields like medical, engineering, or computer science are the best ways to go if you want a high paying job after graduating...

Also, having connections and being at the right place at the right time are everything...
for the make people laugh part, think he meant bein a comedian
 7 years ago '04        #16
chirpflare 173 heat pts173
space
space
$4,022 | Props total: 37 37
 GrezyNclean said:
-- Start a business.
the only sensible thing better than going to college...

f**k a charity
 7 years ago '09        #17
Mr Chappelle 2 heat pts
space
space
 TheCityOnMyMind said:
coming from a guy with sackboy in his avy..
haha.You got me there with the avy comment.
really don't play often though.At times wish I could more

On another note the person who spoke on sacrifice is correct.
To me,I am not personally knocking college or furthering your education but we all know its not for everyone and there are other ways to success.
To Each His Own Though
 7 years ago '05        #18
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8
I'll have my bachelors degree at the end of this semester, and I'm set thereafter due to my father's connections. Yet if I could do it all over again, I'd of gone the military route. I've learned NOTHING of value in college. Absolutely nothing. All I've learned how to do is coast and make the grade.... I haven't been challenged since I was a Math Wiz Kid in elementary school. The school system here is a.ss.
 7 years ago '04        #19
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
Excuses, excuses.....come on, people.

This country was founded on making your own nest egg, and having your own foundation, spot at the table, etc.

Being independent.

How do we expect to get out of this mess by being DEPENDENT (mostly on the government)?

You need money to go to college like you need money for anything else, so that reason doesn't work.
 7 years ago '04        #20
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$4,215 | Props total: 1041 1041
college degree while it doesnt guarantee any type of mastery over tools of trade, gives you a key to open doors to next level. also it keeps your brain working at a certain level, so even if you end up getting a job that is totally unrelated to your major, you will still have a brain thats been warmed up. completing a degree (not a community college a.ssociate degree but an actual one from a reputable school) somewhat shows that you have what it takes to actually stfu and follow through, which is pretty much what most employers look for when they tryin to recruit someone new to the field.

you can of course skip that phase by being considerably excellent at a sport or trade.

whether college degree is worth the money and time is obviously getting more and more questionable as the world changes. not only is the old textbook way of hs-college-5k/year job no longer guaranteed but becoming less and less attractive by the emergence of n*ggaz like mark zukerberg and lex luger.

for the 99% of n*ggaz out there with no special talent and just want that american degree of three bedroom house and two cars, you gotta first do everything that everyone else does and then if you feel like, try to go for that extra sh!t. saying that college is useless when you don't actually have a degree is like rappers steadily doing triple wood saying that the numbers dont matter.
Home         

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
78 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
25 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
77 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
34 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy