Lakers GM Kupchak Considering Roster Changes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
56 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
31 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
72 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
75 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #1
6617 pageviews
129 comments

TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$49,100 | Props total: 22551 22551
Lakers GM Kupchak Considering Roster Changes

The Lakers officially entered crisis mode Monday, when general manager Mitch Kupchak told NBA.com that the recent poor play by the two-time defending champions may drive him to make a trade to shake up an underachieving roster.

"Regarding a trade, I may have to," Kupchak said at the team's practice facility a day after the convincing loss to their heated rivals, the Celtics. "I'm not saying that I've made calls today or I'll make them tomorrow. But I just don't think that we're playing as well as our talent level should allow us."

Even speaking in his usual measured tones, Kupchak's disappointment and frustration were obvious. More importantly, while saying he had not talked to owner Jerry Buss since being controlled by the Celtics in the fourth quarter at Staples Center, Kupchak said, "I'd be surprised if he feels any different."

The Lakers are 33-15, good for second place in the Western Conference, 7 1/2 games behind the Spurs and a game ahead of the Mavericks heading into Dallas' meeting with the Wizards on Monday night. But Los Angeles mostly built that with a good start against a soft schedule. Even the recent showing of 10 wins in 12 games did little to erase internal concerns, especially since that has been followed by home losses to the Kings and Celtics.

Most glaring of all, the Lakers have struggled to play with consistency against the best teams in the league, the clubs that will become the obstacles between a third consecutive title and a disappointing end to what Phil Jackson says is his final season as coach. Since Christmas alone, they have lost to the Heat by 16, the Spurs by 15, the Mavericks by nine and, now, the Celtics by 13, while beating the Thunder by seven.

"I try to be as objective as possible, but I'm concerned that our performance is not living up to our talent level," Kupchak said. "Our record is certainly OK. But we've lost a bunch of home games. We've lost a couple of big games at home. And to me, those are red flags.

"I'm not convinced it's lack of talent. I think it's there. Our team is very similar -- certainly our starting five is exact -- as the team last year. Yes, we're a year older. But it's not like our guys are 34, 35 or 36. They're all between 29 and 31 or 32. I think we've added a couple players that may make our roster even stronger, with Steve Blake and Matt Barnes. ... You don't age off the charts in one year when you're 30 or 31."
So, the Lakers may consider trades.

"I wasn't," Kupchak said. "But it looks as if we may have to. ... It's something I may do in the future. I just don't think that our talent level is playing as well as they can play. We have an incredibly high payroll and we do that because we have players that normally produce at a high level. And I'm not sure I see that now."

Also Monday, Jackson added to the growing unease by admitting, in response to a question of whether he is alarmed, that "Yes, I am." Asked what alarms him the most, Jackson said, "Inconsistency, I think, offensively is the thing that bothers me the most. We have defensive mistakes. We've plotted them out. We talked to them about it today and what we made mistakes doing. But really, our inconsistency playing offense is really something we have to work on."

The Lakers play the Rockets on Tuesday at Staples Center before hosting the Spurs on Thursday in a game that suddenly has unusually high importance for February. They begin a seven-game trip from there, now with a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the roster.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.nba.com/2011/n .. hak/index.html

129 comments for "Lakers GM Kupchak Considering Roster Changes"

7 years ago '09        #2
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
them n*ggas in LA are shook
 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM         #3
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol artest and fisher is the problem...dude suck now
 7 years ago '04        #4
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
Crisis mode indeed. I don't think it's time for that. Who's he gonna trade? Artest? Bynum? He'd be crazy to move Odom, or the other starters and I don't think anyone wants Fisher. He's talking s**t, he ain't trading no one.
 7 years ago '04        #5
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
Bye, Ron.

Hi, Carmelo.
 7 years ago '07        #6
infamxus 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,391 | Props total: 3 3
they just played like s**t, no reason to trade
 7 years ago '04        #7
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 akademiks said:
Bye, Ron.

Hi, Carmelo.
Could we afford to extend him without dumping Bynum too? I'm not apposed to that and just having Gasol play center and bringing L.O. back to the 4 spot.
 7 years ago '05        #8
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,924 | Props total: 30316 30316
bye blake and luke and bynum. hi mo williams and varajeo
 7 years ago '06        #9
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$29,007 | Props total: 10679 10679
Oh my I smell another bulls**t trade coming...pau gasol part 2

Denver won't trade melo to the nets for multiple first rounders but well somehow agree to an artest and a draft pick for him lol
 7 years ago '09        #10
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,660 | Props total: 2776 2776
they ain't trading no one, I don't see who they can go get to help them. I think he is just trying to get the attention of the team and certain players who are not playing up to the level they are expected. Crisis mode with nearly a whole half season left, they will find a way when it is urgent for them to get home court in the playoffs, they don't want to see any Game 7's on the road.
 7 years ago '04        #11
#RAPTORSWON 228 heat pts228
space
space
$22,257 | Props total: 2708 2708
 ReggieA said:
they ain't trading no one, I don't see who they can go get to help them. I think he is just trying to get the attention of the team and certain players who are not playing up to the level they are expected. Crisis mode with nearly a whole half season left, they will find a way when it is urgent for them to get home court in the playoffs, they don't want to see any Game 7's on the road.
This.
 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM         #12
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you cant be serious
 7 years ago '04        #13
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 793 793
them n*ggas are just old...they should have kept Ariza for that youthful spark he provided
 7 years ago '05        #14
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,924 | Props total: 30316 30316
 kuruption said:
Could we afford to extend him without dumping Bynum too? I'm not apposed to that and just having Gasol play center and bringing L.O. back to the 4 spot.
f**k bynum that money we can do something else with
 7 years ago '04        #15
#RAPTORSWON 228 heat pts228
space
space
$22,257 | Props total: 2708 2708
What the f**k happend to Ron Artest? Dude used to average 17-18ppg and played stellar D... Now he's a bum... wow
 7 years ago '09        #16
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
i cant see it being for attention. as a professional athlete you sholdn't need your head coach to motivate you to play hard, let alone your gm, or old players from the team. you should be self motivated at this level, no need for hand holding from someone new every two weeks, these n*ggas is grown men. kupchak looking to see if he can get another steal off
 7 years ago '04        #17
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 kuruption said:
LA has the highest payroll in the league and they still make about $50m/year of raw profit..

It's just about how much the Buss/Anschutz group wants to cut into their money to win.

philly337 said:
Oh my I smell another bulls**t trade coming...pau gasol part 2

Denver won't trade melo to the nets for multiple first rounders but well somehow agree to an artest and a draft pick for him lol
Luke Walton too, if that helps.
 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM         #18
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I actually don't want them to make a trade.....no trade = no finals = no 3 peat
 7 years ago '08        #19
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,773 | Props total: 12271 12271
 kuruption said:
Bynum and Artest another player and and at least 1 draft pick would have to be included to get Melo
 7 years ago '09        #20
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,660 | Props total: 2776 2776
 ozWinston said:
i cant see it being for attention. as a professional athlete you sholdn't need your head coach to motivate you to play hard, let alone your gm, or old players from the team. you should be self motivated at this level, no need for hand holding from someone new every two weeks, these n*ggas is grown men. kupchak looking to see if he can get another steal off
Kobe asked for a trade, knowing damn well he was not going to leave LA, just telling Mitch and Jerry, "I ain't winning no f**king championship with Smush Parker and f**king Kwame Brown!"
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
80 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
71 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
32 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
82 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy