New study: Facebook Makes You Overestimate How Happy Your friends Are, In Turn, Makes You Depressed

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Todd Todd Todd Mcshay first mock.
52 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
73 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-29-2011, 09:55 PM         #81
diesel1221  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 I_Am_Hiphop134 said:
Can you read! , dude that I quoted said facebook was different 2 years ago and they had made changes. I jus wanted to know HOW different, an why it was better back then.
they removed a lot of features that were there before for example seeing who you sent friend requests to, having a box, the support center a changed A LOT in terms of what you can do, the old layout was much better in terms of appearance, and now facebook starts getting glitchy and has several bugs in it as well. The reason it was better is because they still had some of the features i mentioned above and people wouldn't be using it like crazy like making statuses every half hour about what they are doing (like seriously people say things that they SHOULDNT BE saying online and other people can see it, plus some people can interpret jokes or other things seriously and that is where some problems can start) and people wouldn't go saying so much sh*t on facebook and start problems with people.
 6 years ago '04        #82
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,565 | Props total: 2425 2425
 Passaicplaya009 said:
facebook can be hypnotizing ..i'll just logg on and tell myself..... ight just check ya notifications/inbox/request and then logg off ...but 3 hours later ... i'm still reading new feeds and clicking "LIKES''
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I just ask myself "Why the fu*k am I on here?" That's when I don't log on for a while.

Now BX is another story. I'm always logged on the sh*t.
 6 years ago '07        #83
CASH1 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,784 | Props total: 2400 2400
I don't inherently think facebook is a problem, otherwise I'd delete mine. It's a convenient way to keep in touch with people I don't see all that much anymore...

But I admit, I don't love facebook either, a lot of people (mostly girls) use it for the wrong reasons. You know guys are going to use it to hawk on girls... but girls use it to constantly brag about bullsh*t. It gets kind of annoying after a while (if you have a lot of girl / friends on there), every 5 sec there's a new update from an overprivileged chick talking herself up or posting some picture of herself in the mirror.

I always think it's funny when a girl takes a picture of herself in the bathroom mirror. Mainly because right next to her you can see the toilet and I kind of connect that to the depth of the female haha.

But for real though. I've said it a million times before, facebook's status updates and twitter and all that, these social media are becoming diseases to people creating crazy narcissists. Everybody thinks they're some kind of celebrity now because they have all these people in their networks, a.ssuming everybody gives a sh*t about every random thought that pops into their head.

I think in the coming years, we're going to see a lot more bad sh*t happening because of facebook because people won't be able to handle it when they realize nobody really gives a fu*k.
 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM         #84
diesel1221  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CASH1 said:
I don't inherently think facebook is a problem, otherwise I'd delete mine. It's a convenient way to keep in touch with people I don't see all that much anymore...

But I admit, I don't love facebook either, a lot of people (mostly girls) use it for the wrong reasons. You know guys are going to use it to hawk on girls... but girls use it to constantly brag about bullsh*t. It gets kind of annoying after a while (if you have a lot of girl / friends on there), every 5 sec there's a new update from an overprivileged chick talking herself up or posting some picture of herself in the mirror.

I always think it's funny when a girl takes a picture of herself in the bathroom mirror. Mainly because right next to her you can see the toilet and I kind of connect that to the depth of the female haha.

But for real though. I've said it a million times before, facebook's status updates and twitter and all that, these social media are becoming diseases to people creating crazy narcissists. Everybody thinks they're some kind of celebrity now because they have all these people in their networks, a.ssuming everybody gives a sh*t about every random thought that pops into their head.

I think in the coming years, we're going to see a lot more bad sh*t happening because of facebook because people won't be able to handle it when they realize nobody really gives a fu*k.
Well said!
 6 years ago '10        #85
hungry01 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,048 | Props total: 4 4
Facebook was never a problem when it was strictly university students only (by university e-mail)...I knew that sh*t was going to hit the fan when they made it accessible to everyone
 6 years ago '06        #86
DJ Endo 
space
space
$925 | Props total: 68 68
greatest thread of the year. I can't disagree on anything said here. At the moment, I log on to Facebook.... promote my sh*t... then log out.
 6 years ago '05        #87
FlamboyantOne 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,583 | Props total: 9 9
The 95% of you guys criticizing it........really.......its not that serious. Im older than most of all you dudes.....and, it is nothing more than something I click on to k!ll TIME! Who the hell gets emotional or offended by someone elses status updates/pics of them flossing.........even if its a bit fabricated or not???? I find it funny, and say plenty of off the wall sh*t too at times.....and fail to care if anyone ' likes' it......or comments on it.......its NOT THAT SERIOUS, unreal how people get emotional over trivial sh*t.......usually pertaining to other people.......
 6 years ago '06        #88
MThoro75 
space
space
space
$288 | Props total: 104 104
 SharkyLocz408 said:
It's all a big dumb human race game. All imaginary. You guys nailed it. Observe the trends, folks, whether you think it's just entertainment or not, there is a reason & purpose for everything. Especially entertainment. Social conditioning, mind control methods, these are our social norms.

Real talk! I couldn't of said it better myself!
 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM         #89
ceo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Twitter can be just as bad if not more ridiculous...it's just status updates lol

This whole social media wave has crippled people's interpersonal skills.

From what I've seen on facebook it's mostly people complaining about what they don't like. It'll be trivial sh*t too like things that happen at a grocery store or while driving. Personally, I don't give a fu*k about small things like that because there are bigger "fish to fry" and time is ticking.
 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM         #90
Stringz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I originally thought facebook's main use was to be used as a way to get known, but spending one day on there i found out its a place to bi*ch :rolllaugh
 6 years ago '04        #91
l0udm0uf 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,678 | Props total: 3 3
 ra1n said:
Coincidentally, I've been thinking about this lately. And yes, facebook does make me depressed and angry. Especially seeing girls post about trivial things like their boyfriends or getting starbucks.

The superficiality of it all just makes me angry -- I feel I can't post anything that pertains to my interests (philosophy, science, my taste in music, etc.) because either no one would care or no one would understand.
stop being fool hearty, post what you want to post, and stop worrying about trying to fit in. That will solve much more of an issue that what facebook is presenting to you
 6 years ago '07        #92
Avon_Barksdale 4344 heat pts4344
space
space
$42,483 | Props total: 56015 56015
 KeithHernandez said:
I don't know if you mess with Twitter or not, but I heard someone say something interesting a while back. "Facebook made me lose respect for people I know while Twitter helped me appreciate strangers."

Granted, your Twitter experience is contingent on who you follow. I have a few friends who tweet trivial nonsense (or whine), link their tweets to Four Square, and tell me they just checked into Dunkin Donuts. I don't care. But if you discuss something of value and want to discuss it with like-minded individuals, you might find something more up your alley in 140 characters or fewer.

I removed Facebook from my life about a year ago. I've noticed the few friendships I did have deteriorated because no one knows how to keep in touch outside FB anymore. They update their status as a blast to their friends and expect that to be the way they keep in touch. Phone calls go ignored, but text messages are acknowledged within 20 minutes. I can't live like that.

I had a friend who invited me to his baby shower two months ago after about three months of little communication, and I had no idea his wife was pregnant. "Oh, I posted it on Facebook," he said. "Thought you knew." Nothing is personal or intimate anymore.

Then I gotta deal with my girl occasionally asking me if I think "this chick's status is a diss" to her. Man, I can go on and on. The whole thing frustrates and perplexes me.
:agreement6::agreement6:
 6 years ago '04        #93
Kadroan 103 heat pts103
space
space
$33,492 | Props total: 6442 6442
Yeah Facebook is no joke. I left two weeks ago, it was one of the best decisions of my life. It helped clear my mind of negativity and stress
 6 years ago '06        #94
DJ Endo 
space
space
$925 | Props total: 68 68

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #95
brooklonsfinest 
space
space
$1,379 | Props total: 51 51
 Kadroan said:
Yeah Facebook is no joke. I left two weeks ago, it was one of the best decisions of my life. It helped clear my mind of negativity and stress
??? What ???
 6 years ago '04        #96
Kadroan 103 heat pts103
space
space
$33,492 | Props total: 6442 6442
 brooklonsfinest said:
??? What ???
just like the study shows, Facebook can make you feel depressed etc. It had negative effects on me but ever since I got rid of my Facebook, I been able to focus on more important things
 6 years ago '05        #97
tokinjohn 2290 heat pts2290
space
space
$11,871 | Props total: 52152 52152
Facebook is corny its a big front n everyone is happy they claim, glad I figured out how to permanently delete that sh*t....seems like everyones posts should start "dear diary" ....i dont give a fu*k about ur corny jordan heels bi*ch and nah u aint a official guap getter f*ggot! Facebook fu*kery!

Last edited by tokinjohn; 08-18-2011 at 05:34 PM..
 08-20-2011, 02:43 PM         #98
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KrayLay said:
Does anyone has a link to the paper? I don't trust news outlets reporting scientific results.
I would like articles supporting this too. I mean i know its a fact because it's logically sound, but its always good to have those factual documents at bay.

6 years ago '10        #99
blkmerc 04 
space
space
$252 | Props total: 118 118
This is easily one of the best threads I've read on here since I joined "BX".

Props to everybody, especially the T/S...... I really didn't know this many people felt the same way I did about facebook
 6 years ago '05        #100
bi0 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,593 | Props total: 1153 1153
Duh Facebook only shows the High points of people life... it doesn't show you how they at the pawn shop on Thursday pawning TV's xboxs , and baby cloths for money to hit the club up....
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
129 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
19 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now