New study: Facebook Makes You Overestimate How Happy Your friends Are, In Turn, Makes You Depressed

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
23 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
96 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
72 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
267 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '11        #41
DB30 10 heat pts10
space
space
$1,717 | Props total: 166 166
So complaining and whining about how all your friends are phonies is supposed to make you feel better? The way I see it the study is supposed to help you change your incorrect perceptions on how your own life is inferior, not so we can hate on people having a good time. Like the lady said obviously people are going to mainly post positive things about themselves, nobody wants to hear people b**ch and whine about their problems.

Now if you're lying about all the fun stuff you do it's a different story (although I'd more so pity the person lying than scorn them for it), but at the end of the day these people live their lives the same way you do, they all have insecurities and are just as miserable. That doesn't mean that you have to resent them for not giving you the full story. You can still be happy for other people while at the same time finding ways to improve our own lives. That was the whole point of this study and that's what I took from it, not that Facebook is awful and all my friends are fakes.
 7 years ago '05        #42
Dat 1 Dude 
space
space
$3,545 | Props total: 276 276
all I read was the first page of this thread and I've come to the conclusion everyone on the first page takes facebook WAYYYY too seriously... Im sure all your friends were happy as hell when you decided to delete your account... Facebook is purely entertainment, nothing more... If someone else's status updates or whatever affects how you feel then you need to take a closer look at yourself..
 7 years ago '04        #43
brooklonsfinest 
space
space
$1,379 | Props total: 51 51
 DB30 said:
So complaining and whining about how all your friends are phonies is supposed to make you feel better? The way I see it the study is supposed to help you change your incorrect perceptions on how your own life is inferior, not so we can hate on people having a good time. Like the lady said obviously people are going to mainly post positive things about themselves, nobody wants to hear people b**ch and whine about their problems.

Now if you're lying about all the fun stuff you do it's a different story (although I'd more so pity the person lying than scorn them for it), but at the end of the day these people live their lives the same way you do, they all have insecurities and are just as miserable. That doesn't mean that you have to resent them for not giving you the full story. You can still be happy for other people while at the same time finding ways to improve our own lives. That was the whole point of this study and that's what I took from it, not that Facebook is awful and all my friends are fakes.
Everyone has made great points in this thread and alot of it is true. But this post makes the most sense. I personally feel if other peoples happiness makes us unhappy its because their is some deficiency in our lives.
 7 years ago '08        #44
I.J. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,361 | Props total: 620 620
I deleted mines cuz..

1. I don't want people that i don't mess with in real life to know whats going on in my life.

2. I don't want b**ches going through my page and wall doing research and s**t.

3. b**ches that i don't f**k with no more. I don't want them to have any access to me or know whats going on with me.

The site is real lame... too many people fake people on there!
 7 years ago '04        #45
SharkyLocz408 
space
space
$2,230 | Props total: 58 58
It's all a big dumb human race game. All imaginary. You guys nailed it. Observe the trends, folks, whether you think it's just entertainment or not, there is a reason & purpose for everything. Especially entertainment. Social conditioning, mind control methods, these are our social norms.
 02-18-2011, 03:21 AM         #46
BooHaggle McGee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dat 1 Dude said:
all I read was the first page of this thread and I've come to the conclusion everyone on the first page takes facebook WAYYYY too seriously
You can be as casual as you want when it comes to facebook, its not gonna stop everyone else from taking it seriously. Thats the point. Maybe your facebook consists of groups of hillbilly retards from Ohio that openly love sharing the daily chihuaha youtube videos with each other but most people are sick of facebook cuz there are whole social structures up on that b**ch where people are trying to convey a message to the world about who they are.

Dat 1 Dude said:
Facebook is purely entertainment, nothing more
Youre an idiot.

At the end of the day you shouldnt give a f**k about how other ppl feel..youre not wrong for seeing it as "entertainment" for yourself...but youre a retard for trying to get involved in a real discussion about the issue using your views. No one is saying anyone needs to boycott facebook...people are just talking about why its better for their personal lives to not be involved in it..your disapproval of it has no backing and you have no reason to be saying s**t in this thread. If people arent going to f**k with it theyre not going to f**k with it, no one needs to be "taking a closer look at themselves" just for not being down with some website.

Last edited by BooHaggle McGee; 02-18-2011 at 03:55 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #47
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
Meh I got some good people on my Facebook.

I have about 150 friends. So I must be slipping somewhere.Hm.
 7 years ago '07        #48
pete jr 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,971 | Props total: 1214 1214
 brooklonsfinest said:
Everyone has made great points in this thread and alot of it is true. But this post makes the most sense. I personally feel if other peoples happiness makes us unhappy its because their is some deficiency in our lives.
Social comparison is what makes people unhappy. If you weren't aware of what others were doing, you'd be more focused on what makes you happy. But when you some one gets on facebook, they look at what others are doing and feel the need to compare their life to others.

For instance, I dated a girl who hadn't used facbook for a while before we started dating. After we started dating she got on it and all of a sudden she realized how "unfulfilled" her life was. How she wasn't living and she was in her 20's and should be at the club. Needless to say, mer and her didn't last long, but she bean to define what her life should be by what she seen on other peoples pages.

I've got a facebook that I check once a month. I have one generic picture and occasionally message old friends, but everybody cant separate the internet from real life.
 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM         #49
BooHaggle McGee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 pete jr said:
Social comparison is what makes people unhappy. If you weren't aware of what others were doing, you'd be more focused on what makes you happy. But when you some one gets on facebook, they look at what others are doing and feel the need to compare their life to others.

For instance, I dated a girl who hadn't used facbook for a while before we started dating. After we started dating she got on it and all of a sudden she realized how "unfulfilled" her life was. How she wasn't living and she was in her 20's and should be at the club. Needless to say, mer and her didn't last long, but she bean to define what her life should be by what she seen on other peoples pages.

I've got a facebook that I check once a month. I have one generic picture and occasionally message old friends, but everybody cant separate the internet from real life.
exactly
 7 years ago '08        #50
Gmengfx 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,652 | Props total: 1221 1221
yall are crazy

I LOVE FACEBOOK

you know how many times when i was younger all i wanted to do at night was

..have a lil alone time... with some dope pictures of girls in my highschool ahhahhaha

j\p'

but i love it cuz i can see how all the girls from my highschool look now..big a.ss t*tties lookn alls.lutty n s**t
 7 years ago '08        #51
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,112 | Props total: 23355 23355
I agree with dude who said facebook is entrainment.

reading dumb status updates is fun as hell
 7 years ago '08        #52
606robin 24 heat pts24
space
space
$5,690 | Props total: 3428 3428
Good to see I can see others with the dislike(no pun) towards facebook. I would post quotes of different things from Religion to Some breaking news never about myself or what not, An people would hit me with "I don't get it?", "What song is this from?" and Real hip hop heads or just people that "love" music can feel my pain when it comes to the "Lateness" of most people when it comes to music and the ways people call an artist like J.cole or Big Krit who you been listening to for a good 2.5 years wanna be on FB talking about oh hey found this "New" artist so and so.... An females are the worst with falsified soap box know as Facebook smfh
 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM         #53
tmitch19  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I knew it had gotten out of hand when on-star started allowing people to check their status from their car while driving.....
 03-24-2011, 09:30 PM         #54
jbudz420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
only got a page into this complain-athon....so its facebooks fault your social inept?i dont follow the logic.If those whom you choose to add post lies than the smart move might be to defriend them.personally i only have ppl on my fb who i kick it with on the reg or are old friends that im still tight with.so i dont compare myself to a status i happen to have a bit more self esteem than that.i mean if your taking a web site that seriously your prob already a canidate for antidepressants...this seems to be yet another example of the woah is me culture we live in.sorry becky posted pics from a party you werent invited to get the f**k over it.......not to impune anyone in this thread but you might want to take a serious look at your lack of social skills before blaiming your s**tty mood on other people having fun.
 7 years ago '05        #55
Dat 1 Dude 
space
space
$3,545 | Props total: 276 276
 BooHaggle McGee said:
You can be as casual as you want when it comes to facebook, its not gonna stop everyone else from taking it seriously. Thats the point. Maybe your facebook consists of groups of hillbilly retards from Ohio that openly love sharing the daily chihuaha youtube videos with each other but most people are sick of facebook cuz there are whole social structures up on that b**ch where people are trying to convey a message to the world about who they are.

Youre an idiot.

At the end of the day you shouldnt give a f**k about how other ppl feel..youre not wrong for seeing it as "entertainment" for yourself...but youre a retard for trying to get involved in a real discussion about the issue using your views. No one is saying anyone needs to boycott facebook...people are just talking about why its better for their personal lives to not be involved in it..your disapproval of it has no backing and you have no reason to be saying s**t in this thread. If people arent going to f**k with it theyre not going to f**k with it, no one needs to be "taking a closer look at themselves" just for not being down with some website.
lmao lmao, wow!!! I just seen this today... Someone was ANGRY lol.. my n*gga just told me im retarded for getting into a discussion USING MY OWN VIEWS.. my fault, should I use YOUR views to express what I feel?? I surely hope you deleted your account because I know mass n*ggas was tired of your bitter statuses...

*edit*

AND THEN I see the n*gga agreed with someone else who used THEIR OWN views on facebook that just so happen to agree with his views.. sooooo basically because I disagree with your bitter a.ss Im an idiot?? yeah, ok... go read a suicidal status..

Last edited by Dat 1 Dude; 03-24-2011 at 11:46 PM..
 7 years ago '06        #56
Passaicplaya009 
space
space
$578 | Props total: 2 2
facebook can be hypnotizing ..i'll just logg on and tell myself..... ight just check ya notifications/inbox/request and then logg off ...but 3 hours later ... i'm still reading new feeds and clicking "LIKES'' .. start poke wars and all that ...lmaoo.. getting into random convos u wasnt expecting to get into...i can lose focus on why i logged on in the 1st place which was to just check my stuff ...there is ALOT of superficial ppl on fb tho .. they Ego's on HAM thats for sure... people are young minded due to what they see on t.v everybody now or days wanna be looked at as somebody neglecting who they really are...putting up a mean front...sometimes you do wanna pull their card like n*gga stfu...nobody cares!..or why is this chick tryna get madd attention she really had to say all that??..they make it dumb obvious ..yet the ppl that reply they all think alike...birds of a feather flock together..i just notice these things and defriend asap...
 7 years ago '06        #57
Passaicplaya009 
space
space
$578 | Props total: 2 2
i'm feeling this thread tho...everybody speaking they mind ! props to all
 7 years ago '05        #58
Grown Man Ish 97 heat pts97
space
space
space
$14,107 | Props total: 234 234
never had 1
 7 years ago '10        #59
Chi city Che 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,185 | Props total: 1 1
 JaiMega said:
You're the reason, actually.
 7 years ago '08        #60
Gmengfx 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,652 | Props total: 1221 1221
 Passaicplaya009 said:
facebook can be hypnotizing ..i'll just logg on and tell myself..... ight just check ya notifications/inbox/request and then logg off ...but 3 hours later ... i'm still reading new feeds and clicking "LIKES'' .. start poke wars and all that ...lmaoo.. getting into random convos u wasnt expecting to get into...i can lose focus on why i logged on in the 1st place which was to just check my stuff ...there is ALOT of superficial ppl on fb tho .. they Ego's on HAM thats for sure... people are young minded due to what they see on t.v everybody now or days wanna be looked at as somebody neglecting who they really are...putting up a mean front...sometimes you do wanna pull their card like n*gga stfu...nobody cares!..or why is this chick tryna get madd attention she really had to say all that??..they make it dumb obvious ..yet the ppl that reply they all think alike...birds of a feather flock together..i just notice these things and defriend asap...

i know!!!!!!!!!!!!...but im worse with BX i can never get off this motherfu*ker..

to many sections..
Home      

most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
113 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Denzel speaking Realism!
30 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
73 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
107 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy