New study: Facebook Makes You Overestimate How Happy Your friends Are, In Turn, Makes You Depressed

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
40 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
225 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM         #1
17734 pageviews
124 comments

JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
New study: Facebook Makes You Overestimate How Happy Your friends Are, In Turn, Makes You Depressed

[pic - click to view]

The Facebook Blues - ABC News

The psychiatrist knows what she talking about. You can see that s**t in a schools computer lab. Everyone is glaring at their facebook and browsing their friends pictures and what not. It's natural to want to be at the beach too, when you see your friends pics from the beach. But to cause jealousy, depression, anxiety is unreasonable. Primarily, as stated, you don't know what's going on with their lives, especially when they are by themselves, let alone in there head.

124 comments for "New study: Facebook Makes You Overestimate How Happy Your friends Are, In Turn, Makes You Depressed"

7 years ago '05        #2
nahsuhmeanz 
space
space
$9,949 | Props total: 2750 2750
i really hate fb, i dont even know why i still have an account
 7 years ago '04        #3
knowughetto 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,430 | Props total: 11 11
 nahsuhmeanz said:
i really hate fb, i dont even know why i still have an account
This^
 7 years ago '07        #4
PowerBar Ernie 107 heat pts107
space
space
$5,899 | Props total: 1214 1214
 ra1n said:
Coincidentally, I've been thinking about this lately. And yes, facebook does make me depressed and angry. Especially seeing girls post about trivial things like their boyfriends or getting starbucks.

The superficiality of it all just makes me angry -- I feel I can't post anything that pertains to my interests (philosophy, science, my taste in music, etc.) because either no one would care or no one would understand.
im with you bro
 7 years ago '07        #5
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 ra1n said:
Coincidentally, I've been thinking about this lately. And yes, facebook does make me depressed and angry. Especially seeing girls post about trivial things like their boyfriends or getting starbucks.

The superficiality of it all just makes me angry -- I feel I can't post anything that pertains to my interests (philosophy, science, my taste in music, etc.) because either no one would care or no one would understand.
I don't know if you mess with Twitter or not, but I heard someone say something interesting a while back. "Facebook made me lose respect for people I know while Twitter helped me appreciate strangers."

Granted, your Twitter experience is contingent on who you follow. I have a few friends who tweet trivial nonsense (or whine), link their tweets to Four Square, and tell me they just checked into Dunkin Donuts. I don't care. But if you discuss something of value and want to discuss it with like-minded individuals, you might find something more up your alley in 140 characters or fewer.

I removed Facebook from my life about a year ago. I've noticed the few friendships I did have deteriorated because no one knows how to keep in touch outside FB anymore. They update their status as a blast to their friends and expect that to be the way they keep in touch. Phone calls go ignored, but text messages are acknowledged within 20 minutes. I can't live like that.

I had a friend who invited me to his baby shower two months ago after about three months of little communication, and I had no idea his wife was pregnant. "Oh, I posted it on Facebook," he said. "Thought you knew." Nothing is personal or intimate anymore.

Then I gotta deal with my girl occasionally asking me if I think "this chick's status is a diss" to her. Man, I can go on and on. The whole thing frustrates and perplexes me.
 7 years ago '05        #6
NomiS 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 28 28
I usually see people using facebook as in outlet to be something there not .. which is happy or rich or just a plan out front
 7 years ago '04        #7
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,609 | Props total: 1 1
man i almost fell into this trap. i would be on there all the time checking updates. it sounds crazy but what really made me see the light of how much FB sucks was my ex-gf...i actually deleted her when we broke up, but she was so superficial about how many friends she had she begged me to add her back, so i did just so she would leave me alone

she's the stereotypical facebooker always posting updates about how she's doing this, doing that, adding pictures from parties, doing whatever it took to make it seem like her life was all fun...and i'm thinking to myself, i know the real person behind the computer screen...she has no job, her friends are super wack, her weight ballooned up after we broke up, she still lived with her parents, etc.

meanwhile, i have a job i love and get paid very well, i have a dope apartment, and all this other good stuff and before i was so tempted to just throw all that in everyone else's face, i just sat back and realized it's not worth it at all. now, to me the more people post on FB the less mature they seem. i'll keep my account because it does help keeping in touch with some of my friends that don't live close to me, but i'll be damned if i post any more status updates or picture uploads
 7 years ago '06        #8
Jhnnyblz427 174 heat pts174
space
space
$35,176 | Props total: 18013 18013
 LightsOut said:
man i almost fell into this trap. i would be on there all the time checking updates. it sounds crazy but what really made me see the light of how much FB sucks was my ex-gf...i actually deleted her when we broke up, but she was so superficial about how many friends she had she begged me to add her back, so i did just so she would leave me alone

she's the stereotypical facebooker always posting updates about how she's doing this, doing that, adding pictures from parties, doing whatever it took to make it seem like her life was all fun...and i'm thinking to myself, i know the real person behind the computer screen...she has no job, her friends are super wack, her weight ballooned up after we broke up, she still lived with her parents, etc.

meanwhile, i have a job i love and get paid very well, i have a dope apartment, and all this other good stuff and before i was so tempted to just throw all that in everyone else's face, i just sat back and realized it's not worth it at all. now, to me the more people post on FB the less mature they seem. i'll keep my account because it does help keeping in touch with some of my friends that don't live close to me, but i'll be damned if i post any more status updates or picture uploads
lol word kid i gotta co sign this !
 7 years ago '07        #9
pete jr 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,951 | Props total: 1144 1144
 LightsOut said:

Thats exactly how i feel about Facebook. It's even worse when your in a relationship with someone who is so obsessed with everyone else's life that they neglect their own. I remember dating a girl who was always talking about her ex's Facebook updates, pics, etc... That s**t ended the relationship
 7 years ago '06        #10
ChrisStokes 105 heat pts105
space
space
$18,412 | Props total: 2023 2023
i agree wit this thread, its one of the reasons why i have social anxiety.
 7 years ago '06        #11
Malcolm 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,129 | Props total: 1204 1204
 ra1n said:

+2. I see a lot of truth in this thread.
 7 years ago '06        #12
H-Town Renegade 
space
space
$2,624 | Props total: 101 101
me n my chick got into it because she found it so difficult to delete her tagged account. She was/is soooooo into the amount of attention she receives on that f**kin site. dudes sending her s3xual/inappropriate messages n she's responding to them n had the audacity to act surprised when i flipped out. im sick of all them s**ts...facebook, tagged, text messaging, myspace, etc. people act like they cant give you 5-10 minutes out of their f**kin day. especially people who have nothin to do. that s**t made me very depressed the following year after high school when I felt like everyone was succeeding n leaving me behind. but when i saw those f**ks in person... it was a different story
 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM         #13
BooHaggle McGee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
how is this s**t a surprise to people? of course its going to make ppl feel like that...everyone on that s**t has to be fake as f**k they only post their good news..they know "their whole world" is watching and when they post bad news everyone thinks theyre looking for attention

google knows what you really are

facebook knows what you want to be portrayed as

deleted mines as soon as i graduated college
 7 years ago '07        #14
nwadei 34 heat pts34
space
space
$4,394 | Props total: 1 1
I did not have to study anything to know this

The general trend with any media or electronics is that too much of it will produce negative effects on someones mind. There was another study they did on Japanese adolescent males that found that their s3x drives were notably lower than average.

Too much media and not getting out enough does stuff like that to people
 01-31-2011, 07:12 PM         #15
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Does anyone has a link to the paper? I don't trust news outlets reporting scientific results.
 7 years ago '08        #16
daffy_1 17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,714 | Props total: 70 70
This is one of the realest threads on BX . I have to agree with you guys 1000% on everything yall said.
 7 years ago '04        #17
jeehtoven 51 heat pts51
space
space
$5,645 | Props total: 470 470
I agree with what everyone's saying...I noticed people on Facebook can be fake and don't really show how they're truly feeling. I don't think that's what Zuckerberg wanted...

I got rid of 650 friends because I thought they were acting phony. It's like you can't have real friends on that site. It's going to be the next MySpace if people don't just be themselves and start connecting with REAL friends.

Real talk.

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '07        #18
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,323 | Props total: 1109 1109
 ra1n said:

^^^ This is exactly why I dont have a facebook
 02-05-2011, 11:03 PM         #19
humble08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
interesting reading those stories
 7 years ago '05        #20
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 GrimeyMoney said:
i agree wit this thread, its one of the reasons why i have social anxiety.
You're the reason, actually.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
25 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
50 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
62 comments
2 days ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy