Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
15 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
33 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #541
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
did i hear that right on the radio earlier?? Mark Richt kicked Washaun Ealey off the team ??

if so, that just gave the job to crowell...
 7 years ago '09        #542
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,134 | Props total: 170 170
 Cap Peeler said:
did i hear that right on the radio earlier?? Mark Richt kicked Washaun Ealey off the team ??

if so, that just gave the job to crowell...
yeah I'm about to post the article

supposedly Washaun can't keep up in the new S&C program and is being made an example of.. Motto in Athens right now is "All in or Get out" They aren't playin anymore.. you used to be able to miss some days and eat basically whatever but now they have a strict program for our players and they have to send pics of everything they eat. Our new S&C coach is an oldschool freak and we hired Thomas Brown as an a.sst. who was 5"8 but held/holds pretty much every weight lifting record @ UGA. Pound for pound strongest player we've had. I like Washaun he's cool with me as a person but get in line or get the f**k out.. everyone around here is sick of the s**t

Last edited by CutKidd21; 02-08-2011 at 03:04 PM..
 7 years ago '09        #543
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
UGA sports blog
Ealey ’still on the team,’ but reportedly suspended

9:57 am February 8, 2011, by Tim Tucker

(Updated 2:15 p.m.)

ATHENS — Tailback Washaun Ealey’s future in the Georgia football program appears uncertain.

UGA said today that Ealey remains on the team but would not address accounts that he has been suspended indefinitely from the Bulldogs’ off-season activities.

“I can confirm that Washaun Ealey is still here and still on the team,” Georgia senior a.ssociate athletic director Claude Felton said in an e-mail. “That’s all the details I can provide.”

Ealey’s suspension is believed to stem from failing to show up for a disciplinary run last week.

Even before this issue, Georgia coach Mark Richt had raised the possibility of Isaiah Crowell — the prized running back signed last week — starting the season opener against Boise State in the Georgia Dome. Richt also has said that Ken Malcome, who was redshirted as a freshman last season, will contend for playing time at tailback.

There have been intermittent rumors since December that Ealey would consider transferring; he has previously denied that.

This is not Ealey’s first brush with trouble on the Georgia team. He was suspended from last season’s opening game because of an arrest for hit-and-run of a parked vehicle and driving with a suspended license. Richt was particularly upset about that incident because Ealey had a.ssured coaches he would not drive while his license was suspended.

Ealey played in Georgia’s other 12 games last season, starting seven and rushing for 811 yards and 11 touchdowns as a sophomore.

Georgia’s other returning tailback, rising senior Caleb King, was twice suspended last season — for two games because of an arrest for failure to appear in court to address a speeding ticket and for the Liberty Bowl because of missed academic appointments.
80% chance it's a wrap for him. Richt doesn't have the luxury to play around anymore
 7 years ago '04        #544
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Scarbinsky: Alabama's don't-tell policy hurts Saban's oversigning defense
Published: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 7:13 AM Updated: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 7:14 AM
Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News By Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News
Follow
Share518
Share close
Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark
Share Email Print

saban-caponebowl.jpgOne thing's not in dispute: Nick Saban's recruiting strategy keeps working. (The Birmingham News / Mark Almond)

So Nick Saban used a portion of his signing day press conference to defend himself on the issues of oversigning and grayshirting. Interesting.

Is he so misunderstood that he felt the need to tell his side of the story? Or was this the perfect example that the best defense is to go on the attack?

Oversigning has become as much a part of Saban's persona as talking with his hands. He's not the only one who does it. He's just more famous for it than any other college coach in the country.

I know. The well-meaning but ineffective SEC rule capping signing classes at 28, which has gone national, is known as the Houston Nutt rule. But Nutt doesn't use his extra signees to help win championships.

Saban does.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Saban's oversigning soliloquy involved him telling us that we don't know what we're talking about. Literally.

"Nobody really knows how many guys we had on scholarship last year, but we didn't have 85," he said. "I can tell you that."

Allow me to translate. According to Saban, those of us on the outside of the Alabama program can't criticize him for oversigning because we don't know the exact number of players he has on scholarship from year to year.

Funny thing about that. Why don't we know? Alabama won't tell us, even though we ask every year.

Birmingham News colleague Jon Solomon requests a copy of the annual NCAA revenue and expense report from every Division I athletics department in the state. One of the categories on that report is number of student-athletes on scholarship in each varsity sport.

Every Division I public school in this state provides us a copy of those reports. Only Alabama blacks out the scholarship numbers for every sport.

We know from the latest form that Alabama reported spending $3,041,356 on football scholarships for the 2009-10 academic year. We don't know how many players Alabama reported having on scholarship that year.

The News has asked Alabama several times to explain why it withholds information we believe is a public record. The heart of the explanation, from university spokesperson Deborah Lane: "Federal privacy laws prevent the University from providing the media with personally identifiable information related to its students."

Excuse me, but what? The NCAA form doesn't include the names of players on scholarship. Just the numbers. Besides, if Alabama considers it a potential privacy violation to release the number of football players on scholarship, why does the school announce the names of its signees every year?

Alabama's argument is inconsistent with its own practice.

Saban took issue with the numbers used by the media, but his school refuses to provide the actual numbers that could - if they're on his side - undercut the argument from critics of his roster management.

Why does Alabama refuse to provide information that every other Division I public school in this state provides? Why doesn't Saban himself step up and share the numbers that other coaches volunteer?

On Signing Day, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald provided this information: "We have 85 scholarships, we had 17 to give and we're at 85 right now."

See? Is that so hard? Fitzgerald was open about his numbers even though Northwestern is a private school not bound by the same federal privacy laws as public schools.

The SEC may have left the Big Ten behind on the field - oversigning does work - but the Big Ten long ago took the high road when it comes to making Signing Day something to celebrate, not investigate.

If a Big Ten school oversigns, it has to explain to the conference office how it will have a scholarship available when those extra signees hit campus. Banking on a certain number of players to create their own exit strategies before fall camp doesn't cut it.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said he encourages parents of recruits to "go back and look at the numbers that schools sign. I do think it's telling."

That's a problem for Saban in trying to defend his signing practices. When it comes to the most basic information on the subject, Alabama's not telling.

There's not much incentive to change. As much as he dislikes recruiting rankings, Saban can point to another number as bottom-line justification. According to Rivals, he just signed, or oversigned, the No. 1 class in the country once again.
 7 years ago '04        #545
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
New staff, new start for Canes' Jacory Harris
February, 9, 2011
Feb 9
3:00
PM ET

* Email
* Print
* Comments162

By Heather Dinich
Last season, Miami ranked last in the country in interceptions thrown with 27. Out of 120 teams, Miami was No. 120. The Canes were No. 104 in the country in turnover margin.

One of first-year coach Al Golden’s priorities this spring has to be to change that, and it starts with his choice at quarterback.

[+] EnlargeJacory Harris
Steve Mitchell/US PresswireJacory Harris had more interceptions (15) than touchdown passes (14) last season.
Golden and first-year offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch have given embattled quarterback Jacory Harris a clean state, and he will compete with Stephen Morris for the starting job. It’s a tired storyline at Miami, though, as fans have grown weary of opponents catching the ball more than the Canes. Not all of those 27 interceptions, though, were the fault of Harris. He threw 15 picks and had 14 touchdowns. Receivers, running backs, the offensive line, other quarterbacks -- everyone contributed to the burden that has become Harris'. More was expected of him, though, as a junior.

The new staff still has high expectations for Harris, and in a recent interview both Golden and Fisch explained their reasoning behind giving him another chance. Both answers were reasonable and convincing. Let the best quarterback win.

What makes you think you can stop that [interception] trend for Jacory?

Al Golden: “I think in general, quarterbacks -- the more experience they encounter, the better they become. Things start to slow down for them. We’re going to put an extra emphasis for him on protecting the football, being smart with the football and not taking sacks. For us, it’s a fresh start for them. As a fan, I watched Jacory a couple of years back when he was lighting it up. I know it’s in there. What brought the best out of Jacory was when [Robert] Marve was here and they were competing. We’re going to revisit that a little bit here with Stephen Morris and let those guys compete it out. I think it will bring out the best in both of them.”

“Not to say any former coach didn’t do a good job, it’s just that there’s going to be a breath of fresh air to correct some of the errors he’s made here over the past year.”

If we haven’t seen the progress yet, what makes this staff think they can change that in one year?

Jedd Fisch: “Interceptions are just one part of the evaluation process. Everybody has a clean slate, there’s no doubt about it. I wouldn’t take the job if I didn’t feel as if I’d be able to evaluate the quarterbacks with Coach Golden. Coach Golden and I talked about it. We know and we remember what Jacory did in 2009. We remember that. We also know what Stephen does and brings to the table, and we’re keeping an eye on every other option. What we’re looking forward to doing is seeing how they handle the new offense. They’ve got to be able to not just cut back on interceptions, because you can never go backwards, they have to be able to understand how to control a huddle, get in and out of the right play, call the play right, they need to get the team at the line of scrimmage, be a leader. We’re evaluating it all. What we’re looking forward to seeing is if there’s some senior leadership, the experience of Jacory, is there some innate ability Stephen has? We’re going to evaluate them, identify the issues and see if we can correct them.

Interceptions sometimes are total flukes. I promise you that. I’ve seen balls tipped in the air and picked, Hail Mary’s that get picked off at the end of a half, fourth-and-20 and the coordinator says, ‘Hey, just rip it, who cares?’ I’m not going to evaluate a quarterback based on a statistical number. I’m going to evaluate him based on decision-making and the offense we’re installing and we’re running on opening day and seeing who can manage that game the best.
of course... Shannon gave him the job, ran off the other 3 qbs we had, cleared the competition for jacory. Golden Goon ain't playin these favoritism games with anyone
 7 years ago '04        #546
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
And away they go
Signing day just ended, but teams are already starting to build their 2012 classes

* Email
* Print
* Comments67

By Craig Haubert and Billy Tucker
ESPN Recruiting

Fresh off landing the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, FSU a.ssistant coach James Coley on Thursday tweeted "Goodmorning class of 2012, today it begins. FEAR THE SPEAR!!!!!" Yes, recruiting has become a year-round process and 2012 boards are already a.ssembled at programs all over the country.

Off and running

Florida State Seminoles
7 commits (7 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
The Seminoles notched the No. 1 class for 2011 and are off to a fast start for 2012. Dante Fowler Jr. (St. Petersburg, Fla./Lakewood Senior) is a promising pass-rusher, and after signing an impressive group of safeties this year the Seminoles have a verbal from a promising 2012 safety in P.J. Williams (Ocala, Fla./Vanguard).

Alabama Crimson Tide
6 commits (6 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
The Crimson Tide fell short of the top class in 2011 but they are already establishing themselves as a potential contender for the top spot in 2012. Early verbals include Eddie Williams (Panama City, Fla./Arknold), a talented athlete who was the Crimson Tide's first commit, and Dakota Ball (Lindale, Ga./Pepperell), a tough and productive 6-foot-2, 283-pound defensive lineman out of Georgia. Both have already committed to play in the 2012 Under Armour All-America Game.

USC Trojans
4 commits (4 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
NCAA sanctions didn't prevent the Trojans from landing a top-five class for 2011 and it's not preventing them from getting off to a good start for 2012. Early commits include a trio of skilled guys and Arik Armstead (Elk Grove, Calif./Pleasant Grove), a versatile big man who could play on the offensive or defensive line in college.

Ohio State Buckeyes
5 commits (4 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
The Buckeyes are off to a strong start in-state as all five 2012 commits hail from Ohio. The early haul features a pair of big running backs in Warren Ball (Columbus, Ohio/St. Frances De Sales) and Bri'onte Dunn (Canton, Ohio/Glenoak), who have a nice combination of size and speed.

Miami Hurricanes
3 commits (2 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
Al Golden will have a full year to a.ssemble his next class at Miami and already has a trio of commits on board. Randy "Duke" Johnson (Miami, Fla./Norland) is a quick and exciting athlete.

Texas A&M Aggies
(6 commits, 3 ESPNU 150 Watch List players)
It's still way early and the Longhorns will do their damage, but right now the Aggies lead the way in Texas. In addition to a verbal from a junior college defensive lineman, the Aggies also have commitments from wide receiver Jaevon Richardson (Baytown, Texas/Robert E. Lee) and running back Dennis Smith (Wimberly, Texas/Wimberly).

Don't forget about ...

Florida Gators
Will Muschamp has a pair of Watch List players on board in 6-5, 270-pound OT Omari Phillips (Venice, Fla./Venice) and WR LaTroy Pittman (Citra, Fla./North Marion).

LSU Tigers
The Tigers already have a pair of Louisiana prospects on board in ILB Trey Grainer (Thibodaux, La./Thibodaux), a Watch List prospect, and 6-3, 220-pound DE Torshiro Davis (Shreveport, La./Woodlawn). Les Miles also dipped into Florida to land Watch List WR Avery Johnson (Pompano Beach, Fla./Ely).

Texas Longhorns
The Longhorns will likely start offering 2012 prospects at their first junior day, which is scheduled for February 13. The Longhorns' class, as usual, will fill up fast once those offers go out and there is a lot of good talent in Texas to select from, including 58 prospects on the ESPNU 150 Watch List. Receivers Thomas Johnson (Dallas/Skyline), Cayleb Jones (Austin, Texas/S.F. Austin), running back Johnathan Gray (Aledo, Texas/Aledo) and defensive tackle Mario Edwards (Denton, Texas/Billy Ryan) are a few of the bigger names.
We should be in the top 5 next year The Golden One is locking down Dade County and Broward. Just took a golden shower on the nolies yesterday already
 7 years ago '04        #547
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Ranking the top 10 redshirt freshmen
February, 9, 2011
Feb 9
2:47
PM ET

* Email
* Print
* Comments31

By Bruce Feldman
SimsDavid Brown/Icon SMIPhillip Sims has a chance to seize Alabama's starting QB job this spring.

With spring football not too far off for some schools (the first schools kick things off Feb. 16), it's time for a sneak peek at some freshmen who redshirted last fall but have generated plenty of buzz within their programs, and figure to do big things in 2011.

One note: I'm only including freshman redshirts here, not transfers such as one-time Texas Longhorns wide receiver Dan Buckner, who is now with the Arizona Wildcats.

1. Rod Smith, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes

Look out -- there is another tall Buckeyes running back talent with a track background set to give Big Ten defenses nightmares. This Smith, no relation to colleague Robert Smith, to whom the young Smith bears resemblance, is a 6-foot-3, 220-pound bruising back who had to wait for a few weeks into fall camp while the NCAA approved his transcript, which made the coaching staff's decision to redshirt him easier.

However, by the time bowl practices began, Smith had wowed a lot of his teammates with his work at practice. With Brandon Saine graduating and Dan Herron sidelined for five games to open the season, Smith, who some around the program compare in style to Beanie Wells, is a very strong option for Jim Tressel.

2. Phillip Sims, QB, Alabama Crimson Tide

The Virginia native, who came to Tuscaloosa as the country's No. 1-ranked quarterback prospect last year, has flashed enough potential to have some folks inside the program think that he will give A.J. McCarron quite a battle for the vacant starting job. Sims may not be 6-foot-4 (he's 6-2, tops), but he has very good feet and can really drive the ball on his throws. He figures to make the race to replace Greg McElroy very interesting this spring.

3. Christian Green, WR, Florida State Seminoles

Ranked as the No. 9 athlete in the 2010 recruiting class, and 53rd prospect overall, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Green settled in at wide receiver and made coaches' jaws drop this fall. The Seminoles return a lot of players on the offensive side of the ball, but it's hard to imagine this guy won't force his way into the lineup. He is simply too dangerous with the ball in his hands.

4. Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU Tigers

While there may have been some doubt among recruiting analysts about whether he was an end or a tackle, Tigers coaches are convinced this guy has blossomed into becoming a big-time three-technique on the interior of their defensive line. Ferguson, who is up to 290 pounds, is explosive and displayed a relentless motor in practice in the fall. He's gonna battle Josh Downs for one defensive tackle slot this year, although both should play a lot in the rotation (along with early enrollee freshman Anthony Johnson) no matter which players get tabbed as starters, as the Tigers attempt to replace two starting tackles.

5. Geneo Grissom, DE, Oklahoma Sooners

The Sooners' 2010 recruiting class already has had a huge impact at OU, with 13 freshmen playing and five winning starting jobs last year. Word is, Grissom, a one-time Kansas Jayhawks recruit, has the looks of a future starter and he might've played last season had he not sustained a broken foot. OU has to replace Jeremy Beal, and even though Frank Alexander and Ronnell Lewis remain, it would be wise to not overlook Grissom.

6. Ross Apo, WR, Brigham Young Cougars

The Cougars lose Luke Ashworth but return go-to receivers Cody Hoffman and McKay Jacobson. Apo, an exciting 6-foot-3, 200-pounder whose 2010 season was derailed by a finger injury, will still be able to force his way into the offense, however. The one-time Texas Longhorns commit has already developed a strong connection with young quarterback Jake Heaps.

7. Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame f!ghting Irish

We've heard all about how much Notre Dame has upgraded the edges of its 3-4 defense with the newcomers it just signed to its 2011 class. But the next question is: How about that middle? The Irish have been desperate for some big, dynamic bodies in the interior of their defensive line for a while now, and Nix may become the kind of big-time tackle they've been missing.

With reliable Ian Williams graduated, there is plenty of room for somebody to step in. The question now is whether Nix, who had to get in much better shape after signing last year as a freshman, ready to consistently bring the kind of effort defensive coordinator Bobby Diaco will demand? The buzz surrounding Nix from inside the program has been pretty good, but only time will tell.

[+] EnlargeKyle Prater
Jeff Lewis/Icon SMIInjuries derailed Prater last season, but he's a breakout candidate for 2011.

8. Kyle Prater, WR, USC Trojans

The county's No. 9 receiver recruit dealt with some nagging injuries in 2010. Fellow first-year wideout Robert Woods was the breakout star of the class, but with the departure of Ronald Johnson, there will be ample opportunity for Prater, a towering 6-foot-5 target with good ball skills, to win a starting job.

9. Justin Hardy, WR, ECU Pirates

Keep an eye on this sleeper. The 6-foot, 185-pound former dual-threat high school QB was headed to play at Fayetteville State but accepted an offer to walk on for the Pirates when ECU offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley noticed him. "He is a great athlete with soft hands, who understands how to run and stick routes," says Pirates receivers coach Dennis Simmons, who adds that the slot WR has toughness reminiscent of another receiver he once coached, former Texas Tech star Michael Crabtree.

10. Todd Chandler, DT, USF Bulls

A former blue-chip recruit, ranked No. 67 overall in the country, Chandler is being counted on to help make up for the departure of standout Terrell McClain. The 5-foot-11-ish Chandler spent much of 2010 reshaping his body and has slimmed down to 308 pounds, according to a source at USF, who added that Chandler needs to be no bigger than 300 pounds.

In Chandler, Bulls coaches see one of those cat-quick, squatty, powerhouse defensive tackles who have put some bite in the Big Three Florida programs in years past
Ego Ferguson is gonna be an unstoppable beast this year.

Somebody remind me why Todd Chandler didn't come to Miami... :hmm:
 7 years ago '04        #548
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
LSU shouldn't give up on Jefferson
Fans might want him benched, but Tigers QB Jordan Jefferson excels in certain areas

* Email
* Print
* Comments10

Joyner By KC Joyner
ESPN Insider
Archive

Jordan JeffersonTyler Kaufman/Icon SMIFans might disagree, but there are many reasons why Jordan Jefferson should be LSU's starter.

College coaches are notorious copycats. Knute Rockne's shift, the Wishbone, spread offenses -- all of these found their way around the intercollegiate gridiron world not long after their initial on-field successes.

The reason for this is easy to understand. A coach figures, if one team does something different that ends up resulting in victories, he'll see similar results by implementing that same thing in his program. Sometimes this type of mindset is a sensible idea, but there are times mimicry actually might not work as well as sticking with what one already has.

That could be the case for LSU Tigers head coach Les Miles and his quarterback situation.

[+] EnlargeZach Mettenberger
Josh D. Weiss/US PresswireZach Mettenberger has been touted as the next Cam Newton.

The Tigers recently signed highly touted junior college transfer Zach Mettenberger in an effort to shore up a passing game that ranked dead last in the SEC in passing yards per game and 10th in passer rating.

As much as Mettenberger's signing has the look of a straightforward talent upgrade, one cannot help but think Miles and his staff might be viewing this move as having the potential to give them the next Cameron Newton. As colleague Bruce Feldman writes, Mettenberger ranks as one of the top junior college transfers to watch heading into the 2011 season.

Mettenberger is undoubtedly talented, with the skills to be a top-level collegiate passer, but after reviewing the metrics for incumbent starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson, there are multiple reasons to think that he, not Mettenberger, should be the passer LSU places behind center to start the 2011 season.

It certainly is easy to see why the Tigers aren't considering Jefferson the sure-fire favorite to win the starting gig. Jefferson had six games last season with a passer rating of under 100. To put that total into perspective, consider that the lowest season-ending passer rating by an individual in 2010 was a 94.3 mark by Vanderbilt Commodores quarterback Larry Smith. That means in nearly half of his games, Jefferson posted numbers that would qualify him as the worst passer in the FBS.

That illustrates the sunset approach for Jefferson. Now let's look at the sunrise viewpoint.

Jefferson got on a big-time roll starting with the Tigers' week 10 win over the Alabama Crimson Tide. Bama came into that contest having held three of their last four SEC opponents (Florida Gators, Mississippi Rebels and Tennessee Volunteers) to a passer rating total of less than 100. Given how poorly Jefferson had played up to that point, there was every reason to believe he would have a rough outing.

The exact opposite happened. Jefferson completed 10 of his 13 pass attempts for 141 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions for a passer rating of 193.4. It was the beginning of a very good SEC and Cotton Bowl stretch for him, as he racked up a combined 162.4 passer rating against the likes of Alabama, Mississippi, the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Texas A&M Aggies.

It wasn't just his overall passer rating that was impressive. Jefferson was posting these totals in large part because of some superb vertical passing (defined as aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield).

He attempted 39 passes of that length in the aforementioned four-game stretch and completed 17 of them for 490 yards. That equates to 12.6 yards per attempt (YPA).

How good were Jefferson's late-season vertical passing numbers? Better than Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy.

So how good is a 12.6 vertical YPA? A six-game breakdown of Sam Bradford's last two seasons that I did for an ESPN The Magazine 2010 NFL draft article showed the No. 1 pick posting an 11.7 vertical YPA. In that same study, Jimmy Clausen had an 11.3 vertical YPA and Colt McCoy a 10.0 vertical YPA.

In other words, Jefferson was producing yards on long passes during that time at a truly elite rate, which certainly contradicts his reputation as a quarterback who cannot excel in the downfield passing game.

As impressive as the downfield yardage productivity was, Jefferson's mistakes more than offset some of it. He made six bad decisions on vertical passes, which means his vertical-bad-decision rate was 15.4 percent. (Note: A bad decision is defined as an instance a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover.)

Contrast that to the vertical-bad-decision rates posted in the aforementioned analysis by Clausen (1.6 percent), Bradford (5.0 percent) and McCoy (7.3 percent) and it quickly becomes clear why Miles is at least looking to see what Mettenberger has to offer.

As tempting as it might be to sit Jefferson for the high percentage of errors, it has to be noted that a lack of pass volume is part of why that percentage is elevated. A mere reduction of two mistakes in the above sample would cut Jefferson's bad-decision rate to a level that would make it acceptable, given his high YPA numbers. And some might argue having to split series with Jarrett Lee as he often did in 2010 may have kept Jefferson from settling in during certain situations.

It is also worth noting that instead of trying to find a way to mimic Newton, Miles could consider using the Steve Spurrier approach to improve his quarterback's play.

Spurrier wasn't the least bit hesitant to insist that Stephen Garcia had to keep working hard last offseason to remain starting quarterback of the South Carolina Gamecocks. This was a bit surprising because Garcia was coming off of a fairly impressive 2009 campaign.

That didn't impress Spurrier. He was so adamant about the need for improvement at quarterback that he stated Garcia could even lose his job to freshman Connor Shaw if he didn't step his game up. That psychological ploy was a key stepping stone to getting South Carolina a berth in last year's SEC championship contest, as Garcia posted the league's fifth-best passer rating.

Even if Mettenberger doesn't become the next Cam Newton, Miles could use his presence as a spurring effect (pun intended) to help push Jefferson to take his performance to the next level. If it works, it might be just enough to send a very talented Tigers team to the SEC title game in 2011.

KC Joyner, aka the Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. He also can be found on Twitter @kcjoynertfs and at his website. He is the author of "Blindsided: Why the Left Tackle is Overrated and Other Contrarian Football Thoughts."
 7 years ago '04        #549
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Ranking the top JC transfers for 2011
February, 7, 2011
Feb 7
1:10
PM ET

* Email
* Print
* Comments20

By Bruce Feldman
Zach MettenbergerDale Zanine/US PresswireZach Mettenberger could follow in Cam Newton's footsteps as an impact JC transfer QB in the SEC.

If it's possible for there to be an "underrated" aspect of recruiting coverage these days, it's the impact of the junior college player. Take a look at the past two national champs. The anchors of the defenses for the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Auburn Tigers were products of junior college, Terrance Cody and Nick Fairley. Oh, and the Tigers' quarterback, who also came via the junior college route, Cameron Newton, also played a pretty significant role in the 2010 season.

All of this begs the question: Which junior college imports this year could have the biggest impact on the 2011 season? Here are eight JC transfers you need to know:

1. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State Seminoles

Remember the dynamic, big-play rush ends on the great FSU teams of the 1990s? That's what this guy looks like. And, as loaded as the Seminoles' recruiting class was, this is my pick for the newcomer who will be the biggest breakout star. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Cincinnati native, by way of Butler Community College in Kansas, picked FSU over the Ohio State Buckeyes and Georgia Bulldogs. Coaches say he is a "werewolf" off the edge and is expected to come in and replace departed Markus White on a fierce D-line.

As a 6-foot-5, 205-pound high schooler, Carradine who once committed to the Illinois f!ghting Illini, was the No. 21 DE in the high school class of 2009. He clearly has blossomed since then. He is one reason I think the Noles are legit dark-horse BCS title contenders.

2. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri Tigers

A former all-everything high school recruit who ended up sticking with his commitment to the Tigers, Richardson could be a dominating force for Mizzou if (and this is a big "if") he can learn to be more consistent. Everything else is there, I'm told, and he's supposed to have the most tools of all the junior college DT prospects. The Tigers definitely could use the help anchoring their run defense, which was just 62nd in the country in 2010.

3. John Jenkins, DT, Georgia Bulldogs

The most recent addition to the Bulldogs' impressive recruiting haul, 6-foot-3, 340-pound Jenkins comes from the same JC that produced Mount Cody: Mississippi Gulf Coast. Jenkins, who at one time was committed to the Oklahoma State Cowboys, picked Georgia on Saturday over the Florida Gators, Miami Hurricanes and Auburn, among others. He was a big pickup, as the Dawgs continue to adapt to Todd Grantham's 3-4 defense.

As I've written recently, I'm on board with Georgia having a strong bounce-back in 2011. If Jenkins is as good as advertised, I think he could make this a top-20 team, possibly even a top-10 team.

[+] EnlargeZach Mettenberger
Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesMettenberger will battle it out with Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee for the Tigers' starting job.

4. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU Tigers

No one questions the one-time Georgia quarterback's arm, but does he have the savvy to push past Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee to win the starting job and stabilize the Tigers' offense? With solid quarterback play, this LSU team is a legit BCS title contender.

5. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

It can be hard to avoid the Cody comparisons when you're a JC DT bound for Bama. Williams, though, is big, but not that big. The 330-pounder a native of Australia, was slowed by a knee injury last year but is expected to be 100 percent for spring ball. Given Williams' background, he is one of the more intriguing names on the list. Some coaches loved his film, but others weren't as sold. Still, you can't argue with Nick Saban's track record, especially when evaluating defensive players.

6. Toby Jackson, DL, UCF Knights

The Golden Knights' program is surging coming off an 11-win season, but the Knights have to replace three D-linemen, including star Bruce Miller. Jackson, a one-time Georgia recruit, figures to be one of the keys to making sure there isn't much of a drop-off for UCF this season, if there is one at all. Last year, UCF was eighth nationally against the run and eighth in scoring D.

7. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina Tar Heels

Butch Davis' D-line, which should've been the best in the country last season, was ransacked by the agent scandal that cost the Heels not only Robert Quinn and Marvin Austin but also coach John Blake. UNC still held up surprisingly well, and the Heels now have a formidable reinforcement in Williams. The agile 6-foot-1, 305-pounder is already enrolled and has the kind of athleticism that will be a real headache for rival offenses.

8. John White, RB, Utah Utes

The Utes lost two very good runners, but the 5-foot-9, 190-pound back should be a good complement to highly regarded power runner Harvey Langi. "He is an SEC-type talent," says one coach who tried to recruit White.

AROUND COLLEGE FOOTBALL
 7 years ago '04        #550
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Originally Published: February 4, 2011
Clemson, Gamecocks joining elite
Recent recruiting classes have several mid-level teams ready to break through

* Email
* Print
* Comments13

By Brian Fremeau
Football Outsiders
Archive

Dabo SwinneyJoe Robbins/Getty ImagesClemson's recent recruiting success has the Tigers ready to move up in the college football hierarchy.

No crystal footballs are awarded on national signing day, but that doesn't mean it isn't a significant date in the annual race for the BCS national championship -- or in the race for in-state rivalry supremacy, for that matter. The past two national champions, the Auburn Tigers and the Alabama Crimson Tide, clashed head-to-head on Wednesday for several of the country's top prospects, relighting the Iron Bowl fuse in the dead of winter. But that wasn't the only in-state recruiting rivalry taking place that may have an impact on future championship battles.

Further east and flying a bit under the radar, the Clemson Tigers and South Carolina Gamecocks have potentially laid the groundwork to finally break through to the elite class of college football. This is not to say that we're making any bold predictions for South Carolina and/or Clemson earning BCS bowl berths in 2011, but consistent recruiting success has long been won exclusively by an elite cohort of programs -- and the Gamecocks' and Tigers' recent achievements on the trail have them on the doorstep of joining this exclusive club. There are also some early indications that four other on-the-rise programs could worm their way into college football's in-crowd based on their recruiting hauls of the past several years.

It's important to note that any analysis of recruiting isn't an exact science. There are examples of successful football teams that aren't pulling in four- and five-star recruits, such as the Boise State Broncos and TCU Horned Frogs. On the other end of the spectrum, some schools pull in top recruiting classes but still fall flat some seasons. Take the Texas Longhorns of 2010, for example, or the Notre Dame f!ghting Irish teams of the past several years.

However, there is plenty of statistical evidence that demonstrates a strong correlation between success on national signing day and success on the field. Using our Program FEI rankings (explained here, these rankings tell us how successful teams have been on a per-drive basis over a period of time), we were able to come up with a list of 19 "elite" programs from the past 30 years. Of these 19, 15 comprise the top 15 of our four-year weighted talent rankings heading into the 2010 season, with the other four appearing later on in the top 25.

Put simply, this evidence reveals that if you want to contend for national titles on a regular basis (as the members of this elite class of college football do), you must also be recruiting at an elite level. This hardly qualifies as earth-shattering -- it makes perfect sense that teams with more talent win lots of games, and that in turn teams that are successful are able to attract top talent.

But this evidence does give us a look at which nonelite teams are ready to break through and have elite on-field success based on their recent gains on the recruiting trail. Here are two teams with the best chance of breaking through, with four others who are a little bit further down the line.

The top breakout candidates

Clemson Tigers

The Tigers come in at No. 16 on our four-year talent rankings (in other words, they should be the 16th-most talented team in 2011, based on recruiting rankings of the past four years), and they're starting to see success on the field to match. Their recent performance puts them at No. 13 in our five-year PFEI rankings. Dabo Swinney's signing day push to land the eighth-best class in the country, featuring the likes of linebacker Tony Steward and wide receiver Charone Peake, certainly bodes well for the future.

South Carolina Gamecocks

The Gamecocks haven't recruited as well as their in-state rivals, checking in at No. 19 on the four-year talent scale, but their No. 22 PFEI number shows that they're gaining ground. Plus, they'll receive a boost to their 2011 class if No. 1 overall prospect Jadeveon Clowney decides to stay home and play for Steve Spurrier.

On the right track

[+] EnlargeBobby Petrino
Nelson Chenault/US PresswireBobby Petrino's team might be a few elite recruiting classes away from becoming a perennial national contender.

Arkansas Razorbacks

The Razorbacks haven't quite cracked the top-25 four-year talent pool yet (No. 26), although they're doing well in our PFEI rankings (16). This year's 18th-ranked recruiting class, anchored by a solid crew of offensive linemen, is a good step for the Razorbacks going forward.

Mississippi Rebels

Houston Nutt will have the 18th-most talented team in 2011 (again, based on weighted past recruiting rankings), but the Rebels are still a distant 45th in PFEI. Continuing to land top-25 classes (they've landed three in a row now, if they can hang on this year) should help.

North Carolina Tar Heels

The turmoil facing Butch Davis' program could alter the talent makeup (and the resulting performance), but the Tar Heels' numbers (21st in weighted talent, 32 in PFEI) are solid. This year's 15th-ranked class features 11 four-star recruits, including highly touted quarterback prospect Marquise Williams.

Texas A&M Aggies

Mike Sherman is bringing lots of talent to College Station, checking in at No. 17 on four-year talent, although the Aggies have been slow to translate that into great on-field success (56 PFEI). A&M did have a bit of a breakthrough last season, however, so the Aggies are headed in the right direction.

The fireworks and drama of national signing day draw our attention every year to college football's historically powerful programs. For the outsiders, one special class might make a difference in terms of fleeting success. But don't be surprised if Clemson and South Carolina find themselves in the national championship conversation along with their more traditional conference heavyweight brethren in the near future (as do the Razorbacks, Rebels, Heels and Aggies, perhaps a little further down the road). The Tigers and Gamecocks are recruiting like the elite cohort for the long haul.
the worst coach in the ACC ain't gonna do a damn thing with all that talent. Clemson never does s**t with their top 3 recruits, just like that other garbage school in tallahassee
 7 years ago '07        #551
FeedTheBeast 22 heat pts22
space
space
$13,314 | Props total: 8562 8562
 Cap Peeler said:
The dude who wrote that article is a fukkin Auburn fan........Kevin Scarbinsky is trash. Coach Saban embarassed his a.ss at a press conference years ago and made him look like a b**ch and ever since then he been giving props to Auburn and trashing BAMA. Dude is so fukkin obvious with his hate its pathetic. The very newspaper that he writes for had an article maybe 3-4 days prior to his that showed the numbers for players signed.......Auburn signed WAY more players than we did in these last 4 years but he came at BAMA. In fact BAMA is like 5th/6th in the SEC when it comes to number of players signed during Saban's tenure. Scarbinsky is a joke down here and NO one respects that guy.
 7 years ago '07        #552
FeedTheBeast 22 heat pts22
space
space
$13,314 | Props total: 8562 8562
 P. Dedos said:
what he say????
It was Saban's first year and the press down here was so used to Mike Shula's soft a.ss. They would bully him into answers and punk him all the time. I dont remember exactly what was said but Saban warned him about stupid questions and Scarbinsky asked the same question. Saban then tore into his a.ss for like 10 minutes and dude couldnt say s**t. He was quiet as a church mouse the rest of that press conference.
 7 years ago '04        #553
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
 ThaReapa420 said:
Christian Green is gonna be MONSTER...but I don't think you'll see him emerge until he's in the slot next year...our top 3 receivers are pretty much set barring injury this season. But you could see him put in work in the spread this year.
I'm scared of Christian Green kid is sick......
 7 years ago '04        #554
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Forcier to UM is big for Canes

By Mike Bakas

Posted Feb 9, 2011

| More

Former Michigan quarterback Tate Forcier is officially a Hurricane now and so lets take a look at what it means for Miami.

The University of Miami announced Wednesday afternoon that Tate Forcier is now, officially, a Miami Hurricane after transferred from Michigan.

It didn't take Forcier long to win the starting job at Michigan in 2009 and was the team's starter his entire true freshman season. He finished the season with 2,050 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 10 picks. He added 240 yards and three scores on the ground. Michigan went 5-7 in 2009, while having the 82nd-ranked defense.

2010 was a different story. Spread QB phenom Denard Robinson, who was offered a spot by Miami to play cornerback coming out of high school, won the starting QB job and ended up putting up Heisman Trophy-candidate numbers for the Wolverines. Forcier was limited to a backup role and threw for 84 passes on the season.

With a redshirt season still available, Forcier decided to transfer from Michigan. He considered a few other schools before signing with the Hurricanes on Wednesday.

At 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, Forcier lacks ideal size for a pro-style offense and he doesn't have a cannon arm. He is, however, a student of the game and brings lots of athleticism to the position. He can make big things happen with his feet and will provide more competition for returning quarterbacks Jacory Harris and Stephen Morris.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Forcier will have to sit out the 2011 season and he'll likely be the team's scout team quarterback. After Harris graduates following the 2011 season, Forcier will enter the spring of 2012 as Morris' top competitor. The Hurricanes will also likely sign a top quarterback prospect in the 2012 class who will be available in the spring of 2012 to compete with Morris and Forcier.

Forcier isn't quite as big as Morris and doesn't have that arm strength, but he's just as athletic, and probably moreso, and has more experience at the college level. Forcier had 16 total touchdowns as a true freshman, compared to just 10 picks; Morris had eight touchdowns and nine picks.

The two are very similar, in terms of upside, and will provide good competition for one another in 2012 and beyond.

Since Miami was unable to sign a quarterback in this year's recruiting class, getting a starting BCS-caliber quarterback to transfer in was very important.

Before college, Forcier became the starting quarterback at Scripps Ranch HS in San Diego as a sophomore in 2006. During that season he threw for 1,637 yards and 16 touchdowns and added 527 yards and six scores on the ground. As a junior there he threw for 2,387 yards, 21 touchdowns, and just five picks. On the ground he added 773 yards and six scores.

Following that strong junior season Forcier started getting recruited nationally. Rated as a three-star prospect (No. 15 QB, nationally) by Scout.com, Forcier collected offers from schools like Penn State, Oregon, and Arizona State before making his commitment to Michigan. His only other official visit was to Penn State.

As a senior in high school Forcier threw for 3,424 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 15 picks, while also running for 783 yards and 12 scores.

doubt he'll start here but it's great for our depth.
 7 years ago '04        #555
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Originally Published: February 14, 2011
Randy Johnson shines in South Florida

* Email
* Print
* Comments1

Tucker By Billy Tucker
ESPN Recruiting

DAVIE, Fla. -- Speed and skill ruled the day as the Under Armour Combine schedule kicked off Sunday at the Miami Dolphins Training Complex. There were plenty of skill-position players that produced great testing numbers, including some of the faster times seen on the combine tour in recent years.

There were also some breakout performances by a couple of emerging stars during the competition and one-on-one segments, and a number of players from the ESPNU 150 Watch List were as good as advertised.

[+] EnlargeRandy Johnson
Davide De Pas/ESPN.comRandy Johnson committed to Miami back in September.

All-American performance
Randy Johnson (Miami, Fla./Norland) posted elite testing numbers and flashed the football skill set that earned him an early invitation to the Under Armour All-America Game in 2012. Johnson, a Miami commit, ran the 40-yard dash in the high 4.4-second range and had one of the day's best short shuttle times of 4.3 seconds, showing outstanding quickness and change-of-direction skill.

When it came time to competing, the dynamic athlete took reps at both corner and running back, demonstrating great versatility and an upper-tier level of quickness and ball skills. He proved an impossible matchup out of the backfield as a pass catcher with his quick, fluid cuts and great burst out of his breaks.

As a corner, we liked the aggressiveness he showed pressing receivers off the line and great acceleration closing on the ball. His leaping and jump-ball skills were also impressive. Johnson is being recruited to Miami as a running back, but he could also play corner at the next level as well as return kicks.

Shedding the 'sleeper' tag
ATH Herb Waters (Homestead, Fla./Homestead) is still a little under the radar early on the recruiting trail but that might change after his performance on Sunday.

The rangy athlete checked in at just under 6-feet and showed good testing speed (4.51 in the 40) and lateral quickness (4.22 in the short shuttle). He also flashed great play-speed and during one-on-ones as well. While he showed the athleticism, range and ball skills to play safety at the college level, he took most of his reps at receiver and consistently came up with the big grab.

He is a sleek athlete, smooth in his movement skills and was difficult to mirror off the line and out of his breaks. Waters showed the top-end speed to separate vertically and great jump-ball skills on a couple of grabs in the red zone. Waters is a dynamic athlete that had one of the better performances on the day.

Running back group is deep, talented
Proving there were plenty of talented running backs at the combine, Dami Ayoola (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas) also had a very solid day. Ayoola has very good body composition, showing good lower-body thickness and explosion as well as great upper body strength (21 repetitions of the 185-pound bench press).

He also showed good speed and soft hands out of the backfield. His day really supplemented the well-rounded tools we have seen on early film evaluations. Rutgers and Iowa have offered, and he has a favorable style for those offenses.

[+] EnlargeSony Michel
Davide De Pas/ESPN.comClass of 2014 RB Sony Michel is certainly someone to watch in the next couple of years.

However, the best overall performance may have been by a 2014 rising sophomore. Sony Michel (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) had testing numbers that were off the charts.

Michel had a 4.46 40, 6.86-second three-cone time and a 4.22 short shuttle. The footwork, lateral cutting quickness and balance he displayed on his compact 194-pound frame during drills were outstanding. Michel can catch the football as well, and he proved too quick and fluid in space for linebackers to try and mirror as a pass catcher. His supreme blend of speed, quickness and burst at this stage is rare.

That has led to mindboggling stats, including a 1,500-plus yard plus performance as a freshman as well as early offers from Miami and FSU.

Combine freak
S Deon Bush (Miami, Fla./Christopher Columbus) is earning the early label as one of the top safeties in the Sunshine State for 2012. While a slight groin injury kept him out of one-on-ones and seven-on-sevens, his testing numbers during the combine segment were outstanding.

Bush, a rangy safety, measured in at close to 6-foot-1 and 180-pounds and ran a blazing 40 yard dash of 4.44 seconds. He moved quickly and fluidly through the three-cone drill for a taller athlete, bending and getting low out of his cuts. His vertical was a very respectable 34 inches, he hammered out 17 reps on the bench and showed good lower-body explosion with a 10-foot-5 broad jump.

Notes
• DB Daniel Gray (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./Boyd Anderson) slipped a few times on the starts of his 40s but still ran in the low 4.5 range and showed excellent acceleration and BCS-level type makeup speed in coverage.

• It was not a great overall showing at the quarterback position, but Gunnar Holcombe (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School) and 2013 passer Tyler Cogswell (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) separated themselves with good performances.

Holcombe, who already has offers from South Florida, Wisconsin and Rutgers, has a quick, compact delivery with some zip. His throwing mechanics are a bit unrefined, as he tends to push the ball at times with a lower release point, but he flashed good RPMs and fit the ball into tight windows throughout the day. He also showed he could drop the ball over the top of downfield coverage. Cogswell has good size and a lot of raw tools to develop over the next few years.

• Teammates Lucas Thompson and Marcel Harris of West Orange High School are two back-end defenders to keep your eye on as they possess good size and showed impressive range and athleticism patrolling the deep zone.

• Running back Gary Holmes Jr. (Loxahatchee, Fla./Seminole Ridge) had a good overall showing including one of the faster 40s of the day with a blazing 4.39 seconds.

• Running back Brian Grove (West Palm Beach, Fla./Kings Academy) posted some of the best collective times of the day, headlined by a 4.43 second 40 and a 4.28 short shuttle.

Billy Tucker is a recruiting coordinator for ESPN Recruiting and has close to a decade of coaching experience at the college and high school levels.

we gettin that #1 class next year :dancingcool:
 7 years ago '04        #556
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
Originally Published: February 15, 2011
John Brantley can be elite in 2011
Brantley's passing skills and Charlie Weis' offense could lead a Gators turnaround

* Email
* Print
* Comments33

Joyner By KC Joyner
ESPN Insider
Archive

BrantleyKim Klement/US PresswireJohn Brantley has the passing skills to have a breakout season in 2011 under Charlie Weis.

One of the secrets to Steve Spurrier's success during his days as the Florida Gators head coach was that he spent as much time coaching up the receiving corps as he did the quarterbacks.

Spurrier understood that while having a field general with superb accuracy, toughness and the ability to read defenses was extremely valuable, all of those skills could effectively be rendered useless if the pass-catchers weren't where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there. (This is a rarely discussed aspect in the discussion of why some Florida quarterbacks did less in the NFL than expected.)

The Ol' Ball Coach may no longer be patrolling the sidelines in Gainesville, but his methodology regarding pass-catchers is one of many changes that new Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis can implement to help senior quarterback John Brantley become one of the best passers in college football this season.

After reading that last sentence, many readers may feel the need to do a double take. Brantley as one of the best passers in college football? The same Brantley whose 116.4 passer rating ranked him 97th among all FBS quarterbacks in that category last season? The guy who threw more interceptions (10) than touchdown passes (9) and nearly transferred to another school this offseason?

It may sound incredible, but the game tape and metrics review of three of the Gators' toughest contests last season (at the Tennessee Volunteers, at home against the LSU Tigers and at the Alabama Crimson Tide, all teams that placed in the top 31 in the FBS in passer rating allowed) show that Brantley had very little to do with the terrible state of the Florida offense last season.

His composite passer rating in those contests was an abysmal 112.2, but Brantley actually played quite well in those games. Really.

Start with his performance on medium-depth passes (those thrown 11-19 yards downfield). Brantley had 19 completions or defensive pass interference penalties in 24 attempts for 347 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions.

That equates to 14.5 yards per attempt (YPA) and a ridiculously high 214.4 passer rating. Those are simply phenomenal numbers on their own, but considering that they came on medium-depth throws (some of the hardest completions to make) and against three tough pass defenses they are even more incredible.

Those weren't the only statistics in which Brantley impressed. He had only two bad decisions in 82 dropbacks, for a bad decision rate of 2.5 percent. (A bad decision being defined as when a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover.)

That means he made an error of this nature only once every 40 passes. That is a Peyton Manning-like rate.

Of course, statements like this lead to two obvious questions:

1. If Brantley wasn't the cause of the problems for the passing game, then what were the causes?
2. Can Weis fix them?

[+] EnlargeWeis
Denny Medley/US PresswireCharlie Weis will try to work his magic with John Brantley the way he did with the Chiefs' Matt Cassel last season.

The first cause was dropped passes. Gators pass-catchers let seven on-target throws slip through their hands in those games. Drops are always going to happen, but a drop rate of 8.5 percent is simply unacceptable from an overall perspective, and is doubly unacceptable when considering that all of those drops were on catchable passes.

Another prospective area of improvement will be on tipped passes. Brantley had eight passes tipped in those games. Two of them led to interceptions and two others were nearly picked off.

Some of the progress in this area will be on Brantley's shoulders, as he will need to do a better job of finding passing lanes on the line of scrimmage. But a lot of the advancement here can be achieved via better pass-blocking.

It is often believed that effective pass-blocking only consists of an offensive lineman being able to absorb hit after hit without letting the defender get past him, but in reality, good pass-blocking has an aggressive element. A rush end or linebacker may want to get his hands in the air to tip a pass, but if he is having to f!ght being hit in the chest he will be more apt to keep his arms out of the passing lanes.

That isn't the only place in which improved protection can help Brantley reach his potential. For example, in the aforementioned three-game sample, the Gators gave up five sacks.

Two of the sacks were of the one-on-one variety, meaning that a defender got past a blocker in a one-on-one matchup and tackled the quarterback in the pocket within three seconds of the snap. Those are the types of sacks that disrupt a pass play before it has had enough time to develop, so immediate improvement here will be critical.

Defending against those kinds of sacks may require a talent upgrade (although the Gators' recent recruiting success would suggest that, in theory, they have plenty of talent throughout the roster to step in if necessary). But two of the other sacks came as a result of an unblocked blitzer and a third was the after effect of an unblocked blitz (another defender got the sack after the blitzer missed the tackle). Those types of sacks are a matter of either poor play calling by the coach and/or poor blitz pickup calls by the players and they can be prevented without having to do any upgrading of talent along the offensive line.

Getting receivers to run crisper routes will be high on Weis' priority list. In the Tennessee game alone, Gators wideouts had one play in which two receivers ended up in the same area (a definite no-no) and another in which a receiver didn't look for a pass, even though he was wide open.

Errors such as that one are something that should be easily correctable with effective coaching. Weis has done that sort of thing before (witness Matt Cassel's turnaround, coupled with Dwayne Bowe's breakout performance, with the Kansas City Chiefs this past season). In addition, it seems logical to a.ssume that the switch to Weis' pro-style attack will better cater to Brantley's strengths as a downfield, pocket passer than Urban Meyer and Steve Addazio's spread offense and three-QB rotation was last season.

If Weis can effectively coach up the receiving corps and offensive line and get his QB in a Cassel- or Jimmy Clausen-like comfort zone to take advantage of his considerable downfield-passing skills, Brantley could be able to engineer a serious turnaround in the Swamp this season.
 7 years ago '09        #557
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
Brantley can be elite?? sounds like last off season without the actual games to back it up

Driskel is the truth though.. with the talent I saw in the UA game that kid is scary good

and props to UF for getting the matt jones commit, really wanted to see him in athens. Crowell's already scaring these kids away

Just means we'll def get the #1 RB in 2012.. whatsup KEITH MARSHALL

2 headed beast Crowell/Marshall

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #558
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
 CutKidd21 said:
Brantley can be elite?? sounds like last off season without the actual games to back it up

Driskel is the truth though.. with the talent I saw in the UA game that kid is scary good

and props to UF for getting the matt jones commit, really wanted to see him in athens. Crowell's already scaring these kids away

Just means we'll def get the #1 RB in 2012.. whatsup KEITH MARSHALL

2 headed beast Crowell/Marshall

crowell has that n*gga ealey shook

you guys have no excuse to win the east this year
 7 years ago '09        #559
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
crowell has that n*gga ealey shook

you guys have no excuse to win the east this year
Most people think that 2012-13 is really the year we are supposed to be sick but if we beat boise and especially USCe then I'll start believing again for this year but not yet. Just can't talk about winning anything after the worst season in 16 years
 7 years ago '04        #560
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts OP
space
space
 CutKidd21 said:
Most people think that 2012-13 is really the year we are supposed to be sick but if we beat boise and especially USCe then I'll start believing again for this year but not yet. Just can't talk about winning anything after the worst season in 16 years
the east is weak. your main competition right now should be florida but they got a brand new everything and they might slip a game or two.

you get a weak auburn team at home, kentucky, ole miss, miss state is going to be tough, tennessee showed up at the end of last year, and @scar which will be tough too.

but with that said, uga has the best QB in the SEC, loaded at RB, very good defensive line and secondary. I don't know about your status at WR who is stepping up for AJ Green but Orson Charles is a beast at TE.

the way i see it is

Boise state W
South Carolina Tossup
Coastal Carolina W
Ole Miss W
Miss State W
Tennessee W
Vandy W
Florida L
New Mexico State W
Kentucky W
Georgia Tech W

get past south carolina and there really isn't much competition after that. @ Tennessee is gonna be rough though
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
226 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
46 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now