All Thing's Root!!

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
58 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
251 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 14 - The FCC just killed net neutrality
77 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #1
12015 pageviews
91 comments

SmokinPiff 
space
space
$844 | Props total: 0 0
All Thing's Root!!

I'm hoping to get this thread stickied so it's one of the first thing's ppl see when they enter the forum.

How to root *enter phone name here* or what is root? is the most asked question in the forum.

I figured in this thread ppl who know or have the ability to find the info can post how to root a phone. Not every phone has the same rooting method, so if you're postinig a "How To", then obviously post what phone you are posting the instructions to root.

Ppl can then look through this thread for help with rooting. also if they can't find what they are looking for, then they can ask their question here instead of making random threads image

What Is ROOT?
The Quick and simple answer is, Root is the ability to unlock your phone and give you complete user permission to do whatever you want to do with it.

With rooting, you will be able to run different ROM's then what came stock on your phone. You may be able to run newer version's of Android before your carrier decides (if they decide) to upgrade your phone.

Example's:
#1 - Sprint left the HTC Hero stuck on Android 2.1. Thanks to root and a dedicated developer community, there are ppl out there that are running Android 2.3 on their abandoned Hero's. Making it still usefull and up to date.

#2 - You love your phone, but it came with a bunch of apps that you don't need and they take up space. plus you can't delete them (that's called bloatware). Well a lot of ppl feel the same way, and somebody who has your phone put together a ROM that is completely stock, except it completely removes those apps. Since you're rooted, all you have to do is flash that ROM if you'd like and you're good. No more crappy apps taking up memory.

#3 - You have a phone, you like it, but you wanna try something new. Like you have a EVO, but you like the look of the skin that they have on the MyTouch 4G... well if you're lucky enough, theres most likely a port of the ROM that you can put on your phone... or maybe
your phone came with Sense or Motoblur skined over Android. you hate it... in every case no matter what phone you have, there a AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROM floating around for you to put on your phone. It's a stock Android experience, a lot of ppl prefer it.

Also you can do thing's like theme your phone, which can be as simple as going from a white notification bar to a black one.

So that's the Simple easy way to explain Rooting and what it is...

How To Root!
Like I said earlier, almost all phones have a different method and a example of what i'm asking if you guy's are willing, is to name your post in this thread
"How to Root *name of phone*
then either give a description in your own words on how to do it or copy and paste where you got the instuctions from, and
provide links to the needed info and/or software...

Thanks in advance to those who participate and to those who don't make redundant threads by checking this out first lol image

EDIT: Since I've come across this question more then once... NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ROOT to change your Launcher or use widgets.

There are certain apps that are only able to be used if you are rooted, but not widgets. I'm working on a list of root apps that I will add to this thread soon...

List added
[pic - click to view]

http://slumz.boxden.com/f .. /#post18215358

Last edited by SmokinPiff; 01-25-2011 at 08:24 AM..

91 comments for "All Thing's Root!!"

01-24-2011, 02:00 PM         #2
gilbydakid 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
one word.

un motherf**king revoked.
 7 years ago '07        #3
SmokinPiff  OP
space
space
Lol yes that's a root method.
why don't you share your knowledge of it? tell ppl what phones it's good for and such and where they can find it
 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM         #4
gilbydakid 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

i didnt really do alot of research on it, what i can tell is it is a one click (two clicks if you use windows) root method.

very easy and simple to use.

i have a evo so i really only googled stuff for the evo, but my understanding is that revoked works for any phone that has the htc sense ui.
 7 years ago '07        #5
SmokinPiff  OP
space
space
 gilbydakid said:

i didnt really do alot of research on it, what i can tell is it is a one click (two clicks if you use windows) root method.

i have a evo so i really only googled stuff for the evo, but my understanding is that revoked works for any phone that has the htc sense ui.
Just to add on to what you said and to give a example...

UnrEVOked is a one step root option for your EVO 4G.
All you have to do is go to from the browser on your phone.
Download and install the .apk and then run it. 5 seconds later, you have root
 7 years ago '05        #6
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,085 | Props total: 10767 10767
make sure the software version of your phone is supported beforehand (read the FAQ)
 7 years ago '07        #7
SmokinPiff  OP
space
space
A lot people ask "what apps should I download now that I am rooted?". Well here's a list of useful apps for rooted users. Leave feedback on apps you think should be included and I will add them to the list.

1. aNetshare - tethers your 3G/Edge.

2. AdFree - blocks ads in ad supported apps.

3. Bluetooth File Transfer - allows you to share files via bluetooth.

4. Overclock Widget - allows you to adjust cpu for speed or battery life.

5. Root Explorer - allows you to browse all your file including Android system and data files as well as move stuff around and other great things.

6. Droid Explorer - A program for your computer, kinda like a GUI root explorer.

7. TA Utility - move cache to sd for some cache heavy apps, it frees up phone space.

8. user.conf creator - allows you to modify settings like enabling compcache or swap as well as other high level tweeking(this will not brick you but can put you in a bootloop, advanced users only)

9. Swapper - allows you to use swap for virtual memory for apps like, music player, browser and other memory hogs.

10. drocap2 - screen shot app.

11. MyBackup Pro - backups up mostly everything and performs batch restores.

12. CallBlocker - blocks any number you want.

13. Louder Volume hack - self explanatory.

14. SU File Manager & Terminal - this is a terminal with a vk and is like root explorer, this is one of the most versatile apps on Android.

15. Terminal Emulator - allows you total control over your phone as super user, can make scripts, run scripts copy and remove anything.

16. SuperUser Whitelist - allows superuser permissions to apps that need root access.

17. Quick Boot - an easy way to reboot the phone with one click and there's an option to reboot into recovery and fastboot/bootloader mode.

18. Wired Tether - enables you to tether through your usb connection.

19. Wifi Tether - tethers your 3G or EDGE connection wireless to your computer.

20. Wireless Tether - Allows tethering “via wifi or bluetooth and get access to the internet using the mobile connection (4G, 3G, 2G) or (in case you are using bluetooth) the wifi connection which is established by the handset

21. Titanium Backup - Backs up, restores, freezes and uninstalls apps (including stock/system apps) and data.

22. ROM Manager - Manages ROMs. Installs many popular ROMs from the SD card or OTA, manages and restores backups.

23. BusyBox - Not sure what this is/does but many apps that require root also require BusyBox.

24. SetCPU - is a CPU speed tweaking app. More specifically, it allows control of certain aspects of the Linux cpufreq driver, allowing for overclocking, underclocking, or tweaking speeds and settings. It will work with most if not all rooted Android 1.5/1.6/2.0/2.1/2.2 builds on supported devices.

Last edited by SmokinPiff; 01-25-2011 at 08:22 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #8
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
I'd definitely use SetCPU over the Overclock Widget
 7 years ago '07        #9
SmokinPiff  OP
space
space
 P-Hill said:
I'd definitely use SetCPU over the Overclock Widget
I added it to the list
 7 years ago '06        #10
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,127 | Props total: 4717 4717
 gilbydakid said:

with unrevoked, am I able to remove the bloatware & use mobile hotspot?
 7 years ago '05        #11
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
Unrevoked roots your phone... once you're rooted you'll be able to freeze or uninstall the bloated apps as well as mobile hot spot for free.
 7 years ago '06        #12
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
to remove bloatware after unrevoked, just d/l root explorer?
 7 years ago '07        #13
SmokinPiff  OP
space
space

Disclaimer
Please read each and every step in this guide and do them fully failure to do this exactly as it is layed out could result in a permanent brick as usual I am not responsible for anybody's failure to read directions
[/B][/U].

Step 1
ok download this file and extract it to the root of your sdcard

Step 2
make sure you have adb properly setup on your computer before continuing
temp root using either visionary or z4root
open up command prompt and cd to your sdk platform-tools directory
then type adb shell then su
if you havent already u must press allow on your device to enable su perms

Step 3
check the md5sum of both of the files to make sure they match
[code]md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin[/code][code]md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0[/code]386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0 hboot_orig.bin
60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e hboot_eng.nb0

if these do not match do not continue redownload the files then check the md5's again

Step 4
Flash the eng spl!!! (dangerous part)
make sure these commands are exact or you could risk bricking your phone!!!
now you should still be in adb shell with root permissions
runs this command and DO NOTT!! reboot till I tell you to
[code]dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[/code]you just flashed the eng spl!!! now lets make sure it took

Step 5
Check the md5 of new flash hboot and restore if necessary
run this command to pull the newly flashed hboot to your sdcard
[code]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0[/code]now we check the md5 to see if it matches
[code]md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0[/code]it should read 60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e
if the md5sum matches then congratulations its safe to reboot!! you can skip the next bit and continue on to step 6

if you absolutely cannot get the eng hboot to flash right then run this to restore the stock hboot
[code]dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[/code]then pull it to check md5
[code]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin[/code]then check the md5sum
[code]md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin[/code]it should read 386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0
if it doesnt keep trying until it does but DO NOT!! reboot till it matches

Step 6
check hboot and perm root!!
ok now reboot your phone into bootloader
turn off phone and hold power+vol down till it boots into bootloader
look at the top and make sure it says s off
if so reboot the phone back into android
put the phone into airplane mode
temp root with visionary
after your temp rooted then attempt to perm root with visionary (haven't tested perm root with z4 yet)
your phone will reboot and you are now officially perm rooted any changes you make will now stick on reboot
Recovery is coming soon!!!!!!

01-28-2011, 08:48 PM         #14
flex001 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

your phone will be on one of these. read!

Sent from my Gingerbread Hero :D

Last edited by flex001; 01-28-2011 at 08:50 PM..
 01-30-2011, 03:33 AM         #15
gilbydakid 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LYTE said:
to remove bloatware after unrevoked, just d/l root explorer?
after you back everything up with titanium and flash a rom they wont be on most roms and you'll also have the otion of not putting them back on with titanium.
 7 years ago '06        #16
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
i d/l unrevoked 3 on desktop

ERROR: Failed to Get root. Is your firmware to new??
 7 years ago '05        #17
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
make sure the firmware on your evo matches the supported versions on the unrevoked page
 7 years ago '04        #18
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,736 | Props total: 1640 1640
 LYTE said:
i d/l unrevoked 3 on desktop

ERROR: Failed to Get root. Is your firmware to new??
when it asks to connect ur phone put it on disk drive instead of charge only and that should do the trick
 7 years ago '05        #19
dagame04 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,392 | Props total: 238 238
anybody got a good root for the Droid 1?
 7 years ago '08        #20
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,472 | Props total: 568 568
If you have a G2 f**k with the GFREE root on XDA. That s**t was fast as hell and easy to do.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
54 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy