Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
55 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
151 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
196 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
8364 pageviews
83 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
Kobe speaks on free agency, takes a shot at Smush Parker

[pic - click to view]

DENVER -- Kobe Bryant played the role of basketball historian Thursday.

When asked about star players in the NBA now being able to dictate where they might play, the Lakers star guard scoffed at the notion. He said free agency is nothing like it was when he broke into the NBA in 1996-97, the same season in which the Lakers signed center Shaquille O'Neal as a free agent.

"How is he controlling his destiny?'' Bryant said when asked whether Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony is able to control his destiny on where he might be dealt by the Feb. 24 trade deadline. "No, you're seeing the power of the league controlling the players and not having the freedom to be able to move wherever they want. Free agency isn't free agency anymore. It's just not. It's the reverse.

"It's not the same. Free agency is not free agency. Players go other places, you take a significant pay cut to go play someplace else. You get less years and all sorts of stuff. It's not the same as free agency like when Shaquille was a free agent. ... That was true free agency. You could go to whatever team of your choice and have a similar contract and similar structure.''

Bryant obviously doesn't like the current NBA rules, implemented in the collective bargaining agreement following the 1998-99 lockout and further adjusted during the current CBA that was introduced in 2005. Rules call for free agents to be able to get an extra contract year and higher raises if staying with their team.

Even though a number of teams were able to get underneath the salary cap and compete for big-name free agents last summer, Bryant still didn't consider that true free agency. That's despite top players such as LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and Amar'e Stoudemire changing teams.

"If this was '96, LeBron and (Dwyane) Wade all would have went to Miami ... and not have to take the sacrificial pay cut or whatever,'' Bryant said of James going to Miami along with Bosh and Wade re-signing with the Heat.

James and Bosh, though, were able to get six-year, rather than five-year deals, and 10.5-percent, rather than 8-percent raises, by agreeing to sign-and-trades from Cleveland and Toronto, respectively. And there was a limit to the salary-cap room Miami had. Regardless, Bryant was asked about free agency perhaps getting even more restrictive with the current CBA expiring June 30 and a possible lockout on the horizon.

"There's concern about it in terms of the amount of liberties that players have to make a living in whatever city they choose to in terms of playing basketball,'' said Bryant, speaking after a practice at the Pepsi Center in preparation for Friday's game against Denver. "At the end of the day, it's just basketball. I'm sure our business folks will work out that end of the deal. And it will be all good.''

Bryant asked to be traded entering the 2007-08 season. He admits he had more leverage than most players due to his contract.

"I kind of had the upper hand because I had a no-trade clause,'' Bryant said. "My situation was a little different.''

Bryant was upset the Lakers weren't spending the money to put enough talent around him. But that all changed when they dealt for All-Star big man Pau Gasol on Feb. 1, 2008. The result has been three straight Finals appearances and two consecutive NBA titles.

"I know for me it was all about winning,'' Bryant said. "In my situation, we weren't spending the money to get players (to the Lakers). They had me playing around with Smush Parker
(an undrafted journeyman who started in the backcourt alongside Bryant from 2005-07). So until they decided they wanted to make the necessary sacrifice financially that was competitive, then I didn't want to be (with the Lakers).''

Lakers coach Phil Jackson called "it a pretty intense time for our team'' when Bryant requested a trade. Bryant was asked what would have happened if he hadn't have spoken out back then.

"I don't know,'' he said. "Probably just coast again. Just coast again. But I wasn't going for that.''

The Lakers didn't go for that either once there was a fear of Bryant eventually leaving as a free agent.

"They knew what (Bryant wanted),'' Bryant said. "Spend the money and get me some players here. The fans aren't dumb. They saw what I was playing with. (Bryant told management), 'You're going to have to step up to the plate a little bit.' They stepped up to the plate. They spent the money needed to. They signed Gasol, extended him (later). I had no issues.''

As for Parker, Bryant sure had issues with him. He said he could not care less what Parker, who has been out of the league since 2007-08, thinks about Bryant having called him out.

[pic - click to view]

Kobe Bryant: Players No Longer Control Their Own Destiny -- NBA FanHouse

[pic - click to view]

i know kobe has been advising melo. maybe he's just tryna scare denver into some upgrades image but then again, the nuggets are pretty good as is

83 comments for "Kobe speaks on free agency, takes a shot at Smush Parker"

7 years ago '05        #2
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,701 | Props total: 6924 6924
If i was kobe i would be hoping Melo leaves one less team to worry about
 7 years ago '06        #3
Cezaroh 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,236 | Props total: 1553 1553
Dam that Lakers team sucked Smush Parker and Kwame Brown t
 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM         #4
geovanni. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mil_Town_G said:
If i was kobe i would be hoping Melo leaves one less team to worry about
you think kobe actually wants to play against s**tty teams?
 7 years ago '07        #5
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,377 | Props total: 13033 13033
wade, lebron, and bosh still could have taken full max deals if they wanted
 7 years ago '10        #6
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
Kobe played with some of the best and some of the worst ever in NBA history.
 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM         #7
geovanni. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
idk...smush had his moments though...

[video - click to view]

i would also like to draw everyone's attention to :33, when kobe and smush are hugging.

Last edited by geovanni.; 01-20-2011 at 08:21 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #8
Rockobox 76 heat pts76
space
space
$12,376 | Props total: 1 1
 Cezaroh said:
back when NO ONE repped the Lakers on BX...

only a few loyal fans and n*ggas that were ONLY KOBE fans
 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM         #9
kjyo20 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
:agreement6:
 7 years ago '10        #10
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
nash got r*ped
 7 years ago '05        #11
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 Cezaroh said:

worst point guard/center combo in league history
 7 years ago '05        #12
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
 Rockobox said:
back when NO ONE repped the Lakers on BX...

only a few loyal fans and n*ggas that were ONLY KOBE fans
@ a heat fan saying this
 7 years ago '05        #13
Rockobox 76 heat pts76
space
space
$12,376 | Props total: 1 1
 Bea5T said:
@ a heat fan saying this
@ tryna expose someone who's already admitted to following LeBron

least I can admit it unlike 90% of you "team fans" here

sweet move bro

maybe next time
 7 years ago '07        #14
Cambury 39 heat pts39
space
space
$38,313 | Props total: 10059 10059
someone did a "where are they now" type thing on those Lakers, that team with Smush was so bad...
 7 years ago '10        #15
Iceberg Slim 2 heat pts
space
space
$388 | Props total: 0 0
 Bea5T said:

worst point guard/center combo in league history
How they go from Fisher/Glove and Shaq/Malone one season to Smush and Kwame/Chris Mihm couple seasons later.
 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM         #16
geovanni. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
except not really....
i mean...

they had odom, kobe, devean, sasha when he could actually shoot, luke walton when he wasn't just a pretty face and phil coaching them.

i mean, yeah, kwame and smush were awful....but, they could have beat those suns. i hate you, phoenix.
 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM         #17
supervill4in 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nuggets fucced up when they let go of Camby and kept K-Mart...billups, afflalo, melo, nene & camby would have been nicer
 7 years ago '07        #18
Bkjj11 3547 heat pts3547
space
space
$92,325 | Props total: 69893 69893
lol smush had his moments, but overall, he was pretty bad
 7 years ago '10        #19
GriffMcfly 22 heat pts22
space
space
$3,500 | Props total: 50 50
Kobe Tells the truth, I hate the Lakers with a passion (I'm a Dedicated Celtics BTW since 93) but I respect that n*ggas work ethic and consistency.
 7 years ago '05        #20
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
 geovanni. said:
except not really....
i mean...

they had odom, kobe, devean, sasha when he could actually shoot, luke walton when he wasn't just a pretty face and phil coaching them.

i mean, yeah, kwame and smush were awful....but, they could have beat those suns. i hate you, phoenix.

please dude....sasha was complete trash back then(he's semi trash now with a couple of good games here and there), devean was always useless unless he was wide open for a couple of seconds, and odom was extremely inconsistent

and I'm not gonna even talk about walton
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
75 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
24 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
175 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
123 comments
2 days ago