Is opening an independent gym a good idea?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
8115 pageviews
7 comments

BlueGray 
space
space
space
$464 | Props total: 122 122
Is opening an independent gym a good idea?

Eventually, this is what I'm looking into doing. I'm just curious if anyone has any personal experience/knowledge with this kinda thing or whatever. If so, please share advice, insight, anything that could help. Props will be given.

7 comments for "Is opening an independent gym a good idea?"

7 years ago '10        #2
Histy 
space
space
space
$172 | Props total: 1 1
well the way i see it. these gyms must have thousands of customers but probably less than half of them would use it. so u would need to have some good deals going on just to keep them paying monthly or what not. just like how all these big chains do it.

depends on the area where u want to open it. and how big you want the gym to be

maintaining all the facilities and gym equipment that s**t is a big deal. run some classes like yoga or some s**t

i know mma been blowing up these past few years and ufc just opened up a few gyms i thought that was a good idea
 7 years ago '04        #3
BlueGray  OP
space
space
space
I'm looking to do this in the Omaha, NE area (since I'm from NE). I know they have lots of different gyms and mma gyms in the city (not sure of the names, but even some ufc f!ghters train at some on a regular basis).

If everything were to go the way I wanted it to, I'd like the gym/facility to be rather big because I want my main focus to be on training athletes. And this would be done through more ways than just weight training. I want it to be something different than just your average gym. I'd like to incorporate other aspects into it, such as maybe like an athletic-wear retail store and supplements store...idk how exactly I'd do that though.

I'm going to school right now majoring in Business Administration with an emphasis in Sports Management. I understand that I don't need a degree to own my own business or anything like that, but the knowledge and hopefully the connections I get through the college will help in the long run.
 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM         #4
padillaman54 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think it could work but you have to have some special appeal.

-is the gym big?
-nice, new equipment?
-group fitness?
-competition in the area?
-you targeting men/women most?
-what benefits over the other gyms?

i think ppl like to go to big gyms because the gym is a big social thing too. people wanna see other good looking people. there has to be a good culture there.

- i think it can be successful if you can manage high subscription rates and possibly retain those people long term. like the previous post says many people sign up and never go consistently.
- i think the biggest challenge would be insurance costs and equipment maintenance. i would also a.ssume electricity would be costly.

a big thing i see in my city( jax fla) is some 'discount gyms' come into town and they basically have crazy low monthly fees, like i pay $10 a month. they basically build up the member book and then get bought out by the big guys who wanna inherit the book. thats a way to in essence flip it if you have the capital to make the initial investment.
-
 7 years ago '04        #5
BlueGray  OP
space
space
space
that's another thing too I'd like people to maybe help me out with is finding ways to create some start-up capital, because I will have nowhere near as much as needed for something as big for what I'm thinking of doing..
 7 years ago '08        #6
606robin 24 heat pts24
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 3422 3422
Build a gym in new development's in the south like tx,ms,la i'm talking about moving into the newer parts of straight country, Most only have city type gyms or rec centers that are small and cramped so you could make it nice out there with low property taxes and low priced land since it's new out there and developers may be more supportive on the build idea.

Just my 2cents though
 7 years ago '04        #7
BlueGray  OP
space
space
space
I appreciate the advice and I'll maybe look into doing something down south like that later on if I ever become successful enough. But for now, my focus is staying in s**thole Nebraska just because this is where my family lives and I want to be close to them and eventually be able to help take care of them as they are getting up there in age now.

Anybody have any good ideas for names I could possibly call the gym?
 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM         #8
cranx 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BlueGray said:
I appreciate the advice and I'll maybe look into doing something down south like that later on if I ever become successful enough. But for now, my focus is staying in s**thole Nebraska just because this is where my family lives and I want to be close to them and eventually be able to help take care of them as they are getting up there in age now.

Anybody have any good ideas for names I could possibly call the gym?
great post, been looking into the same thing too. but i was leaning more into a studio.
its smaller, i can control it and the amount of clients..see how it runs before and expansion..
i seen a lot of gyms come up in my area, they literaly f!ghting for customers..so pple love the great deals, but the owners must be pissed coz no coin in it for them...

nway hit me up.. we can share knowledge
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside R.I.P. Polar Bears
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy