Did you like hip hop fashion better in the early 2000s or do you prefer it now?

most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
76 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
59 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 01-12-2011, 01:10 AM         #1
7099 pageviews
42 comments

ptPablo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Did you like hip hop fashion better in the early 2000s or do you prefer it now?

Personally, I liked it better (for the most part) "back then". Flashier and hip hop actually had it's own identity with the clothing. Too conservative now and not as fun imo.

42 comments for "Did you like hip hop fashion better in the early 2000s or do you prefer it now?"

7 years ago '06        #2
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,045 | Props total: 18807 18807
early 2K's easy....

n*ggas nowadays be tryin to hide behind the "oh my clothes fit" myth to excuse the fact that they like wearing tight clothing...

you like wearing tight clothes, just say it muh n*gga.....couldn't be me though...i will always go for comfort and a size bigger is always gonna be more comfortable...
 7 years ago '07        #3
dnycem 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,738 | Props total: 1750 1750
That's actually a good question?I would have to say the hip hop clothes wore now.Fitted clothes is much more presently in all societies and is a much neater look
 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM         #4
liquidswords85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
well for regular people that aren't rappers this era is better. but for rappers the old days were way better, just throw on a hoodie, baggy jeans and timbs. f**got rappers nowadays think they're fashion models making terrible music yet selling because of their image. hip hop isnt a fashion show
 7 years ago '07        #5
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
I still dress like it's '94, '95. Don't you let me find a Helly Hansen jacket I like. Don't you dare!

Either way, things weren't silly baggy until about 2005/2006 when kids were doing the 4X Tall tees from Foot Locker dirty.
 7 years ago '04        #6
Mercury 
space
space
$2,585 | Props total: 1423 1423
i like it better now for the following reasons

1.) hip hop fashion was about the "thug look" for the longest time. And its kinda hard being a surburban cat but wanting to fit in with the hip hop look...but it don't necessarily look right on you because you aren't thuggish in the least bit.
2.)Back then, it was ALL about the brand. Whether it was the Tommy Hilfiger era, to the rocawear and all that era...it was exclusively about the brand. And with the brand, comes a price tag. I remember breaking my pockets to have iceberg. Now that its almost corny to rock "brands" you can make a fit from anywhere. You can go somewhere and get something inexpensive and as long as the fit of it is correct, and the quality is good, and the kicks is on point, then you straight.
3.)right now, you gotta rely on creativity. you can't use brands to "save" you anymore. Right now is where the lines are being drawn between those with fashion sense and those who dont.

Me personally, I take some of the stuff I like from the 90s, and kinda update it for now. Wallabee's was huge when wu was really poppin, so i copped them for now. I like the old school nautica jackets from back in the day, so I might get one now...just not in the 4xl sizes I used to have in the past.
 7 years ago '05        #7
Universal~Mind 59 heat pts59
space
space
$12,109 | Props total: 527 527
 KeithHernandez said:
I still dress like it's '94, '95. Don't you let me find a Helly Hansen jacket I like. Don't you dare!

Either way, things weren't silly baggy until about 2005/2006 when kids were doing the 4X Tall tees from Foot Locker dirty.
Na u got it wrong... Big white tees were never trendy early on.... before then it was whatever under your designer shirt.... Then in the early mid 2ks is when folks was just going out rocking crispy white tees cuz it looked clean... The Mid 90's was when s**t was really huge..... I remember back in like my sophmore year.... my boy rocked size 40 Jeans.... N we not talkin about size 40's of today.... back then they made strictly baggy style so they were massive....

What happened was in the 2k's early 2k's ud'e see alotta sloppy suburban or trailer trash kids trying to get into that look, late.... and wearing super exaggerated sizes.. n*ggas has polo shirts lookin like 6x white tees..... like

As a matter of fact. One of the things u still see today but it's even sadder and actually pisses me off, cuz it's soooo lame and corny..... Is n*ggas rocking jeans baggy or tight hanging below their a.ss strapped around their thighs by a belt walking like they have a deficiency like their cool..... I wanna just drop kick'm
 7 years ago '08        #8
piffery973 11 heat pts11
space
space
$2,221 | Props total: 1 1
I like the fitted look more I used to rock the baggy s**t and crispy white tees that were oversized but the fitted clothes look just looks better my jean sizes have gotten smaller and i went from 4xl tees to just regular Large or XL and it just looks and feels better
 7 years ago '08        #9
piffery973 11 heat pts11
space
space
$2,221 | Props total: 1 1
i actually cant belive i ever dressed like that
 7 years ago '07        #10
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 Universal~Mind said:
Na u got it wrong... Big white tees were never trendy early on.... before then it was whatever under your designer shirt.... Then in the early mid 2ks is when folks was just going out rocking crispy white tees cuz it looked clean... The Mid 90's was when s**t was really huge..... I remember back in like my sophmore year.... my boy rocked size 40 Jeans.... N we not talkin about size 40's of today.... back then they made strictly baggy style so they were massive....

What happened was in the 2k's early 2k's ud'e see alotta sloppy suburban or trailer trash kids trying to get into that look, late.... and wearing super exaggerated sizes.. n*ggas has polo shirts lookin like 6x white tees..... like

As a matter of fact. One of the things u still see today but it's even sadder and actually pisses me off, cuz it's soooo lame and corny..... Is n*ggas rocking jeans baggy or tight hanging below their a.ss strapped around their thighs by a belt walking like they have a deficiency like their cool..... I wanna just drop kick'm
Nah, I don't have it wrong. You actually elaborated on what I said. Only thing you added was the suburban/trailer trash aspect. I don't have too much experience with those frauds. I lived in Brooklyn most of my life.

Mid-90s, yeah, some of the clothes were big. You can look to Kris Kross videos and Onyx videos to see how those clothes were draped over those skinny dudes. That came back in full effect in the mid-2000s with the Foot Locker tees. It was sparked by dudes with monstrous Mitchell & Ness jerseys -- who'd end up taking it off halfway through the day because they didn't want it to get dirty. So now they were just walking around with big tees.

But the 90s had a mix between stupid baggy and loose. It's hard to picture now because the definitions have changed ever since Kanye West flipped everybody into Polo knits and Louis V. backpacks (lol, btw).

Then again, my definitions are different because I'm a big dude.
 7 years ago '09        #11
Al Goody 48 heat pts48
space
space
$4,571 | Props total: 0 0
f**k some skinny jeans and Vans.

s**t is not hip hop.

i'm not diggin the faux-hawks either:thumbsdown:

Props that people are slightly more creative and adventurous with the style nowadays but overall take me back in time to the entire 90's.
 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM         #12
1973a  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
most of the fashion today with the tight jeans, bright colors & tight "artsy" shirts trying to bring back the 80s just comes off as corny to me & doesnt really have as much of its own hip hop identity like im guessing the baggy style did in the 90s.
 7 years ago '05        #13
space
space
My problem is how just like music alot of brands have lost their distinction.... There are some still around but it's like every brand trys jumping on whatever works for one company.... s**t pisses me off...

Plus back in the 90's i could walk into a hip hop shop and fiend for alotta s**t. These days i walk into an urban clothing shop and find myself almost forcing myself to enjoy a design or clothing article... s**t is mad lame and lacking creative detail...
 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM         #14
liquidswords85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i have this book called the wu-tang manual (written by rza) and there's a section on the 'proper rocking of gear'. rza says pants must be at least size 38 no matter how skinny you are, and tops must be at least xxl. lol, i kinda wish rap went back to that. bring back the grimey s**t
 7 years ago '10        #15
Dextromethorphan 217 heat pts217
space
space
space
$27,807 | Props total: 13 13
I didn't like getting check if my T went past my finger tips at school everyday 7 years ago.
 7 years ago '08        #16
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,104 | Props total: 23319 23319
 illogik said:
Fitted clothes>>>>>>baggy clothes..
you ever pull out a old tall tee?

scustya.
 7 years ago '05        #17
hbk83 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,029 | Props total: 1226 1226
Wait a minute, there is a difference between fitted and tight, slim jeans are not fitted those are f**king tight... and there is a difference between baggy and loose, most hip-hop artist were wearing loose jeans and still do now, 50 em jay nas etc... even alot of new artist drake, j cole wiz khalifa are not on that tight jean s**t, that tight fitted look is just a small trend in the young hiphop community, but most people still wear loose jeans not fitted or tight..... n*ggas like lil wayne juelz , jim jones etc... were wearing ridiculousy baggy jeans and now have switched to tight, those are artist who never had their own identity and followed trends... but you have to think the fitted tight look is just a throwback to the 80's hiphop look were people wore tight or fitted clothes so it is not new it is a trend that came back it is not exactly in style cause most people still look at peoples jeans and think "why are his clothes so tight?" or back then "why are his clothes so baggy?"
 7 years ago '05        #18
hbk83 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,029 | Props total: 1226 1226
But alotta u n*ggas like that skinny jean look why haven't ya'll jumped on skinny shorts yet?
 7 years ago '05        #19
space
space
 hbk83 said:
But alotta u n*ggas like that skinny jean look why haven't ya'll jumped on skinny shorts yet?

Don't worry, everyone will be rocking spandex bottoms with graphic tees this year....
 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM         #20
liquidswords85  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you guys know who taz arnold is? goddamn i swear that guy is gay just from looking at him
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
150 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
67 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
224 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
154 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
55 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kojima explains death stranding gameplay and lore
21 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
197 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy