Jan 11 - Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
122 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
63 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
107 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
7212 pageviews
113 comments

The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,550 | Props total: 17183 17183
Jan 11 - Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings

[pic - click to view]

Looks like all that advertising on the news 24/7 made the gun famous

[pic - click to view]

Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings - Bloomberg
After a Glock-wielding gunman k!lled six people at a Tucson shopping center on Jan. 8, Greg Wolff, the owner of two Arizona gun shops, told his manager to get ready for a stampede of new customers.

Wolff was right. Instead of hurting sales, the massacre had the $499 semi-automatic pistols -- popular with police, sport shooters and gangsters -- flying out the doors of his Glockmeister stores in Mesa and Phoenix.

“We’re at double our volume over what we usually do,” Wolff said two days after the shooting spree that also left 14 wounded, including Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who remains in critical condition.

A national debate over weaknesses in state and federal gun laws stirred by the shooting has stoked fears among gun buyers that stiffer restrictions may be coming from Congress, gun dealers say. The result is that a deadly demonstration of the weapon’s effectiveness has also fired up sales of handguns in Arizona and other states, according to federal law enforcement data.

“When something like this happens people get worried that the government is going to ban stuff,” Wolff said.

Arizona gun dealers say that among the biggest sellers over the past two days is the Glock 19 made by privately held Glock GmbH, based in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria, the model used in the shooting.

Sales Jump

One-day sales of handguns in Arizona jumped 60 percent to 263 on Jan. 10 compared with 164 the corresponding Monday a year ago, the second-biggest increase of any state in the country, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data.

Handgun sales rose 65 percent to 395 in Ohio; 16 percent to 672 in California; 38 percent to 348 in Illinois; and 33 percent to 206 in New York, the FBI data show. Sales increased nationally about 5 percent, to 7,906 guns.

Federally tracked gun sales, which are drawn from sales in gun stores that require a federal background check, also jumped following the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech, in which 32 people were k!lled.

“Whenever there is a huge event, especially when it’s close to home, people do tend to run out and buy something to protect their family,” said Don Gallardo, a manager at Arizona Shooter’s World in Phoenix, who said that the number of people signing up for the store’s concealed weapons class doubled over the weekend. Gallardo said he expects handgun sales to climb steadily throughout the week.

Permissive Laws

Jared Loughner, the 22-year-old accused in the shooting, has a petty criminal record, yet so far there’s no evidence that his background contained anything that would have prevented him from buying a handgun in Arizona, where limits on owning and carrying a gun are among the most permissive in the country, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a gun- control advocacy group.

Critics have focused on the extended magazine used in the shooting. It was illegal until 2004 under the expired federal ban on a.ssault weapons. The clip -- still banned in some states and popular in Arizona, gun dealers say -- allegedly allowed Loughner to fire 33 rounds without reloading.

Democratic Representative Carolyn McCarthy of New York said this week that she plans to introduce legislation that would ban the high-capacity magazine. McCarthy’s husband was one of six people shot to death in 1993 by a lone gunman on a Long Island railroad train. Her son was among the 19 people wounded.

“The fact that the guy had a magazine that could carry 33 rounds, he was not out to just k!ll. He was there to do a mass k!lling,” said Dr. Lawrence Kobilinsky, a forensics expert at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

Virginia Tech

Light and easy to use, a Glock 9 mm was also wielded by the Virginia Tech k!ller, Seung-Hui Cho, in a spree that left 32 people dead. The gun is among the most popular sidearms for U.S. police departments. A negative for law enforcement is that the rifling of the barrel makes it almost impossible to match a bullet to an individual weapon with ballistic tests, Kobilinsky said.

“It’s one of the greatest guns made in the history of the world,” said Wolff, whose two stores sell Glock-made weapons almost exclusively.

When Loughner allegedly walked into Tucson’s Sportsman’s Warehouse last November to buy a Glock 19 -- favored as a concealed weapon because it is slightly smaller and lighter than similar caliber handguns -- federal law would have required a background check via the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, a telephone-based check administered by the FBI.

Background Check

Loughner would have had to present his driver’s license and answer several questions, including queries on past drug use, domestic violence or felony convictions. Wolff said in most cases the check takes less than five minutes and the number of denials he receives is a tiny fraction of the total.

Wolff called the shooting “horrible.” Nonetheless, it has created a surge of publicity for the gun, he said.

“It’s in the news now. I’m sure the Green Bay Packers are selling all kinds of jerseys today as well,” he said. “I just think our state embraces guns.”

Arizona law allows anyone to carry a gun in public if it’s in full view, making it what’s known as an open-carry state. Until recently, gun store owners say, it was common to see people carrying weapons in grocery stores or coffee shops. That’s less true today, because last year that state passed a law allowing individuals to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.

Gun Law Rating

Daniel Vise, senior attorney with the Brady Campaign, said Arizona received a score of two out of 100 on the organization’s rating of state gun laws, and that the rate of gun deaths in the state is one and a half times the national average.

Brady Campaign spokeswoman Caroline Brewer said that some states require local law enforcement agencies to approve gun permits, a system that would have given authorities a chance to further a.ssess Loughner, whose behavior acquaintances have described as erratic. Loughner tried to buy ammunition the morning of the shooting at a local Wal-Mart Stores Inc. outlet, then left during the sale process, according to a statement by the company.

“If a clerk at Wal-Mart picked something up and refused to sell this guy some ammunition, we can certainly imagine that law enforcement would have picked that up as well,” Brewer said.

113 comments for "Jan 11 - Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings"

01-11-2011, 05:21 PM         #2
Slickems 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
blaow blaow blaow
 7 years ago '08        #3
FlyboyCaz 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,474 | Props total: 805 805
Lmao, america...
 7 years ago '05        #4
dreas_24 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,965 | Props total: 725 725
im in mesa andim boutto cop me another one too...the gun laws are a trip out here tho. its weird seeing people with heat on em at a grocery store n s**t
 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM         #5
x7eflon 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
glock 30 & glock 27 owner right here... :bigok: gotta love glocks
 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM         #6
CenterField 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
woman still alive. if anything, sales should go down
 7 years ago '06        #7
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,054 | Props total: 18816 18816
it's b/c they think they're about to be banned...

America, oh America...
 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM         #8
PeteyRoll 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
me and my 40 BOOOM
 7 years ago '09        #9
HennyHeat 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,394 | Props total: 632 632
Question to all you gun owners... What is the purpose of you all owning these guns? Protection, Hobby, Paranoia... Do you live in bad areas? Or is that just how you were raised... Me personally I am heavily against guns but I would like to know why those who own them have them... I do personally think also that most gun owners have a screw loose or two... There are justifiable reasons to owning a gun but I think there are more reasons not to own one then to own one
 7 years ago '10        #10
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,866 | Props total: 13661 13661
Getting me a Glocc 31C with a 15rd clip real soon.........
 7 years ago '05        #11
gunot86 1 heat pts
space
space
$738 | Props total: 95 95
 HennyHeat said:
Question to all you gun owners... What is the purpose of you all owning these guns? Protection, Hobby, Paranoia... Do you live in bad areas? Or is that just how you were raised... Me personally I am heavily against guns but I would like to know why those who own them have them... I do personally think also that most gun owners have a screw loose or two... There are justifiable reasons to owning a gun but I think there are more reasons not to own one then to own one

Its basic, if i dont the next man will and im not gonna leave my life in the hands of another man
 7 years ago '08        #12
606robin 24 heat pts24
space
space
$5,683 | Props total: 3423 3423
That proposed gun law isn't gonna go through with the war going on in mexico and texas not ever gonna get rid of guns or have em regulated over here anyone can cop a revolver to a colt at trade shows all thats need is a drivers id (most gun show people don't even keep the info) and people have been buying gun lockers out from distressed buyers so yuh s**ts crazy
 7 years ago '04        #13
DonofDons21 
space
space
$6,254 | Props total: 701 701
Gotta glock22.....12rd clip if I can't hit em...with that I'm f**ked....the reason I bought mine was for home protection
 7 years ago '07        #14
Gunner 
space
space
$987 | Props total: 731 731
 x7eflon said:
glock 30 & glock 27 owner right here... :bigok: gotta love glocks
yup
 7 years ago '07        #15
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,326 | Props total: 1111 1111
Taurus Judge>>>>>>
 7 years ago '04        #16
young_al 
space
space
$1,385 | Props total: 88 88
f**k them glocks they made of plastic and melt if you shoot em, piece of s**t. I imagine it took one crazy psychopath to persuade millions to purchase CHLs, NRA memberships, guns, and change their votes from democrat to republican. Who wins at the end of the globalist, gun companies, and the best salesman one crazy psychopath. s**t like this keeps up Obama might not win again.
 7 years ago '05        #17
Ezzzzz 1 heat pts
space
space
$621 | Props total: 191 191
 MOTTAFOOKAH said:
Taurus Judge>>>>>>

even though i like that because it shoots 410 cmon son no way
 7 years ago '05        #18
Ezzzzz 1 heat pts
space
space
 young_al said:
f**k them glocks they made of plastic and melt if you shoot em, piece of s**t. I imagine it took one crazy psychopath to persuade millions to purchase CHLs, NRA memberships, guns, and change their votes from democrat to republican. Who wins at the end of the globalist, gun companies, and the best salesman one crazy psychopath. s**t like this keeps up Obama might not win again.
I just wish people who no nothing about guns wouldnt comment u sound stupid saying they melt when u shoot them and they are pieces of s**t....honestly if they were pieces of s**t do u think so many military and police around they world would carry
 7 years ago '05        #19
Ezzzzz 1 heat pts
space
space
 HennyHeat said:
I will answer your question if you can first tell me why you are against owning a gun? and also what you consider justifiable reason to own a gun.
 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM         #20
Michael_Moore 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Perfectibilist said:
Lol, I got one of those too. The 3rd Gen. I also have a Glock 22.
(One for the house, one to carry with me in public).
you should use them to off yourself....:dancingcool:
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
88 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
79 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Final Bright Trailer: Will Smith Gets a Magic Wand
17 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
76 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy