Dolphins owner Stephen Ross travels west to meet with Harbaugh to make an urgent pitch

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
97 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
36 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
69 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
62 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
9185 pageviews
438 comments

KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,900 | Props total: 44 44
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross travels west to meet with Harbaugh to make an urgent pitch

Chris Mortensen mortreport

Filed to ESPN: Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled west to make an urgent pitch to Jim Harbaugh to become their next coach 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled to the West Coast in an urgent effort to convince Stanford's Jim Harbaugh to become his next coach, according to two sources.

Ross was accompanied by general manager Jeff Ireland and former NFL executive Carl Peterson to make the pitch to Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as the team's head coach, the sources said. Ross is willing to make Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in the NFL, which would place his salary in the $7-to-$8-million range, the sources said, after receiving a signal from the Stanford coach that he was now willing to listen seriously to the team's presentation

AFC East blog

Graham ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The Dolphins still would need to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule that requires teams to interview minority candidates before hiring a new coach. Sparano also has not been fired yet.

"I have been aware of their dialogue with Harbaugh but I know they have not interviewed any minority candidates and as [Steelers owner] Dan Rooney told me this week on all these teams, we're going to hold their feet to the fire," said John Wooten of the Fritz Pollard Alliance that works closely with the NFL on the interview process involving coaches and front office executives.

Harbaugh met earlier Wednesday for five hours with 49ers team president Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke, a source said.

A Dolphins spokesman said he had no knowledge of any meeting between the team and Harbaugh. Ross was not available for comment and Ireland did not return a specific message. Harbaugh's voicemail box was full and he did not return a text message.

Peterson has been a conduit for Ross stemming from their close personal relationship. It was Peterson who reached out to former Steelers coach Bill Cowher through an intermediary to gauge Cowher's interest in the job. A source confirmed a report that Cowher was interested but only if he could have total control of the football operation and pick his own general manager. Ross intends to retain Ireland as the general manager, whether or not Sparano is fired, sources said.

Peterson was the Chiefs general manager when Cowher was defensive coordinator under Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City.

Initially, sources said Harbaugh was cool to Peterson's approach on behalf of the Dolphins and Ross. But the Stanford coach's interest grew warmer in the 48 hours after his Cardinal soundly defeated Virginia Tech with Ross among the spectators at Dolphins Stadium, sources said. Wooten said he also was told that Harbaugh was not very receptive to the Dolphins' initial approach.

Furthermore, Ross had dialogue with University of Michigan officials to ensure that he would not be competing for Harbaugh's services with his alma mater, sources said. Ross, who is one of Michigan's largest benefactors, was a.ssured by a Michigan official that Harbaugh was not reciprocating interest in the college's now-vacant head coaching position.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.

Last edited by KiNgJaMeS305; 01-05-2011 at 09:19 PM..

438 comments for "Dolphins owner Stephen Ross travels west to meet with Harbaugh to make an urgent pitch"

7 years ago '04        #2
Motion 817 heat pts817
space
space
$19,231 | Props total: 1659 1659
well atleast he's trying

but i dont think Ross can seal a deal quite like Huizenga could
 7 years ago '04        #3
AmerikanDesi589 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,901 | Props total: 0 0
I don't know anything about Jim so idk how to feel about this happening.

Plus Ross is flying out but there's still no word on Sparano?
 7 years ago '04        #4
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58 OP
space
space
i dont like college coaches, especially after saban, but the difference with harbaugh is that he is really a pro coach in college
 7 years ago '04        #5
space
space
All I really care about honestly is getting rid of Henning and bringing in Josh McDaniels.
 7 years ago '04        #6
space
space
updated with espn article

$7-to-$8-million range, is f**king nuts
 7 years ago '04        #7
space
space
 AmerikanDesi589 said:
All I really care about honestly is getting rid of Henning and bringing in Josh McDaniels.
i would like mcdaniels as OC but with marshall here and Nolan, i dont think it will happen
 7 years ago '09        #8
Tiko377 1861 heat pts1861
space
space
$15,203 | Props total: 8939 8939
i love our owner he is really trying....

i hope he gets it done it seems he thinks this will get us over the hump
 7 years ago '09        #9
Tiko377 1861 heat pts1861
space
space
$15,203 | Props total: 8939 8939
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
i would like mcdaniels as OC but with marshall here and Nolan, i dont think it will happen
no thanks we dont need anymore drama why not bring ocho cinco too since hes from miami.

if we get jim i am sure he has someone in mind already.
 7 years ago '04        #10
space
space
JasonLaCanfora

Hearing Dolphins offered Gurden $7M/ year and it was turned down - not that offer could be coming to Harbaugh. 49ers have been in $SM range 4 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
 7 years ago '04        #11
space
space
one thing i can see in ross is that he really is desperate for a winning franchise. he wants the phins to be a "s3xy" team like the yanks, cowboys, lakers, etc....
 7 years ago '04        #12
Motion 817 heat pts817
space
space
$19,231 | Props total: 1659 1659
 AmerikanDesi589 said:
get real man

josh mcdaniels IS NOT coming here

our defensive coordinator Mike Nolan left denver because he couldn't stand mcdaniels

not to mention brandon marshall doesn't like him either and traded him to Miami
 7 years ago '08        #13
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,729 | Props total: 11626 11626
They're gonna give him 7-8 Million?!?!?!?
 7 years ago '05        #14
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8
Our best bet is to pay Cowher what he wants, fire Ireland as he requested, and give him full control to pick his GM and coaching staff. I'm pretty sure he'll keep Mike Nolan so I don't see an issue with him getting rid of people we'd like to keep. I'd rather have Harbaugh but I just can't see him coming here. I think Cowher would sign on in a heartbeat if we meet his demands, however.

I will never understand Stephen Ross' apparent attachment to Jeff Ireland as if he's some great GM. His track record speaks for itself; he's terrible at the draft and aggressive in terms of free agency/trades. I want no part of any GM that can't build through the draft. Championship teams build through the draft. PERIOD.

Jeff Ireland passed on Matt Ryan and Hakeem Nicks. No wonder our offense is a mess. We could be sitting here watching Matt Ryan drop back passing to Brandon Marshall, Hakeem Nicks, and Davone Bess. f**k.

Last edited by 2 Pistolz; 01-05-2011 at 09:35 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #15
space
space
Albert Breer AlbertBreer

... My understanding is that Harbaugh would be amenable to working with GM Jeff Ireland, who's been a sounding board for Ross thru all this. less than a minute ago via web

if only LUck would come with him :cry:
 7 years ago '04        #16
space
space
 Motion said:
get real man

josh mcdaniels IS NOT coming here

our defensive coordinator Mike Nolan left denver because he couldn't stand mcdaniels

not to mention brandon marshall doesn't like him either and traded him to Miami
I didn't know that about Nolan. My dad just told me about the Bill Cowher thing too. Ross is a f**king moron, get rid of Ireland's overly conservative a.ss
 7 years ago '05        #17
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8
What's even more puzzling about Jeff Ireland is that he didn't pass up on Matt Ryan because he values LT over QB. He didn't pass on Matt Ryan because he felt like Jake Long was a better overall prospect than Matt Ryan. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't simply going with the "safe" pick. He passed on Matt Ryan because he "did his homework" on all QB prospects and did NOT feel like Matt Ryan was a better prospect than Chad Henne and Brian Brohm, and he knew he'd be able to get one of the two in the second round. Really he was in love with Henne long before the 2008 draft. Scouted him for years.

This is the guy we're protecting to the point where we won't meet BILL COWHER's demands?

All is forgiven if we somehow land Harbaugh though. I'll shut the f**k up and stop b**ching like the hoe a.ss n*gga the Miami Dolphins have made me over the years.

Last edited by 2 Pistolz; 01-05-2011 at 09:43 PM..
 01-05-2011, 09:43 PM         #18
Flacco Da Gawd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I want McD in Baltimore.. we need to open up our O so bad

f**k Cam Cameron unless we win the SB because of offense.
 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM         #19
Trill Clinton 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
8 Million?

God damn.
 7 years ago '04        #20
space
space
 Young Flo said:
I'm going to take a major L on Boxden if we don't land Harbaugh, Miami get off the west coast
but if we do get him and he sucks than we saved yall
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
76 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Kill Order Martial Arts Film Trailer
14 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
108 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy