Dec 22 - Another humanoid species co-existed with early humans and Neanderthals

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
33 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
49 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
189 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
137 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-23-2010, 12:38 AM         #1
6934 pageviews
90 comments

ngoogs 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dec 22 - Another humanoid species co-existed with early humans and Neanderthals

[pic - click to view]

Another humanoid species co-existed with early humans and Neanderthals
A single finger bone found in this Siberian cave led to an amazing discovery. Early humans and Neanderthals co-existed with another humanoid species called Denisovans. And many present-day humans carry genes that prove our ancestors had children with Denisovans, too.

The new species is named after the cave where the 30,000 year-old finger bone was found. Researchers had been searching for Neanderthal bones in the area, and were surprised to discover what they initially thought was a fossil from an early human's little finger. To find out more, they shipped the bone off to the Max Planck Institute in Germany, where evolutionary biologist Svante Pääbo had already sequenced several Neanderthal genomes. Pääbo's tests gave a shocking result: The genome sequence they got from the bone showed that it was neither human nor Neanderthal.

And yet it was undeniably a human relative, who had clearly lived among humans and Neanderthals thousands of years ago in the caves of Siberia. After careful analysis, a team of genomics experts figured out where the Denisovans fit into the puzzle of human ancestry. Most likely they are descended from a common ancestor shared with Neanderthals. When early humans left Africa about 300 or 400 thousand years ago, they spread out across Europe and Asia. Those who went west to Europe became the heavy-browed, squat Neanderthals. And those who went East became Denisovans.

Genomics expert Richard Edward Green worked on analyzing the Denisovan DNA. In an email to io9, he explained:

The genome of the Denisovans is more diverged from modern humans than any two humans are from each other. It's almost exactly as diverged as the Neanderthal genome was. That's one of the reasons that we think the Denisovans and the Neanderthals are descendants of a single migration event into Eurasia.

Another wave of early human migration spilled from Africa about 70 to 80 thousand years ago. These travelers encountered both Neanderthals and Denisovans, eventually settling down and forming families with them. As a result, many Europeans have Neanderthal DNA; and, as the researchers report today in Nature, some Melanesian people from Papua have Denisovan DNA.

The picture of early human life that emerges is a lot messier than what we believed even just twenty years ago, when many anthropologists believed humans diverged from Neanderthals and the two species never interbred again. Now it seems that humans had many cousin species - at least two that we know of - and that we separated from them only to rejoin them later, forming families and creating lineages that persist to the present day.

So what makes the Denisovans and Neanderthals separate species from early humans anyway, given that all three groups co-habitated and had children together? Green said:

Answering that question - How much DNA divergence is necessary to call something a new species? - is a very difficult one. We know there was admixture between early modern humans and a population related to the Denisovans. We can see this in the genomes of individuals from Papua New Guinea, as described in the paper. Thus, from this perspective they were similar enough to successfully mate with our ancestors. The sad, frustrating truth, though is that there is no simple answer to how much divergence must be present to call something a different species or sub-species or variety or whatever.
Regardless of whether the Denisovans were another species, or just distant cousins, they are proof that humans have not always been alone among the primates. Within the last 50 thousand years, we shared the planet with other intelligent hominids who weren't quite human.

If we want to know what humanity might look like 50 thousand years from now, after we've colonized space and spent millennia evolving in dramatically different environments, we should look back to the Denisovans' humble cave in Siberia. There, three very different types of human beings met after a long time apart. And formed a community together.

[pic - click to view]

via io9

90 comments for "Dec 22 - Another humanoid species co-existed with early humans and Neanderthals"

7 years ago '06        #2
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$8,741 | Props total: 3675 3675
and heeeere we gooo....

Genesis 6:4 ??
 7 years ago '08        #3
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
$12,943 | Props total: 5500 5500
Interesting.

I'd imagine this might change a few ideas about our DNA.
 12-23-2010, 01:45 AM         #4
PeteyRoll  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
they dont know s**t. all they do is a.ssume this and think maybe this happend
 7 years ago '04        #5
Propel Water 20 heat pts20
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 4282 4282
wowww pretty interesting article to come home too
 7 years ago '07        #6
*-InfiniMatic-* 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,025 | Props total: 3311 3311
 ngoogs said:

[pic - click to view]

Another humanoid species co-existed with early humans and Neanderthals
A single finger bone found in this Siberian cave led to an amazing discovery. Early humans and Neanderthals co-existed with another humanoid species called Denisovans.

Somebody post me a "Didn't Read" GIF.

They find one n*gga that got his fingers chopped off and buried back in the day, he another species.
 7 years ago '04        #7
bouncer900 
space
space
$4,009 | Props total: 85 85
:hmm:
 7 years ago '08        #8
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
 *-InfiniMatic-* said:

They find one n*gga that got his fingers chopped off and buried back in the day, he another species.

I'd say you should read but it's prob too late.
 7 years ago '08        #9
DUCE 141 heat pts141
space
space
$10,551 | Props total: 537 537
 *-InfiniMatic-* said:

do you know what DNA or a genome is?
 7 years ago '08        #10
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
 cuddyduce said:
do you know what DNA or a genome is?
lol Don't even bother.

What I'd like to know is why people like that even click on an article that they have no intention of reading? And then waste the time to post about how ignorant they are.

Maybe he clicked it hoping for a sentence or two and then got bummed out to see paragraphs so he just gave up.

Last edited by SlickJ101; 12-23-2010 at 11:55 AM..
 7 years ago '06        #11
JuStAnOtHaXaZn 
space
space
$283 | Props total: 0 0
Good read
 7 years ago '10        #12
GriffMcfly 22 heat pts22
space
space
$3,500 | Props total: 50 50
So white people?
 7 years ago '04        #13
memphis10 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,588 | Props total: 2976 2976
 larrylegendgrif said:
So white people?
lol..i had read that same line too..explains it!
 12-23-2010, 06:43 AM         #14
Sniggit  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
meh still looking for the answer as to how we all started suddenly making pyramids and becoming a advanced civilization, did we all just have a coalating dream at the same time and decided to become smart?

ancient aliens ftw, if anything this is more proof to it, if we were such a smart original species it wouldnt just happen overnight when weve been around for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years

im babbling, i had a better short statement but i forgot, shall re-read after a coffee ;/
 7 years ago '04        #15
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 Sniggit said:
meh still looking for the answer as to how we all started suddenly making pyramids and becoming a advanced civilization, did we all just have a coalating dream at the same time and decided to become smart?

ancient aliens ftw, if anything this is more proof to it, if we were such a smart original species it wouldnt just happen overnight when weve been around for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years

im babbling, i had a better short statement but i forgot, shall re-read after a coffee ;/
There are different theories, but to me the most plausible is that climate change after the last ice age led to pressures that caused human populations to transition from foraging to agriculture and a sedentary lifestyle, which lead to specialization, which led to social stratification, which leaves some members of a society with the free time to dedicate to complex thinking, including advanced architecture, and also leaves some people with the wealth and power to put these ideas into action.

Compared to the long period of relatively little human advancement that proceeded it, it did occur in a short amount of time, but we're still talking thousands of years from the first development of agriculture to the kind of advanced civilization you're talking about. We didn't just become smart, our brains had been essentially the same as they are now for a long time before that, but certain kinds of intelligence requires certain circumstances to develop, and agriculture made those circumstances widespread for the first time. So, if you consider that it was the first time that genius really had the time and resources to be genius, the advancement isn't actually that improbable, and certainly doesn't require any outside intelligence to push it along.

Last edited by HHS; 12-23-2010 at 07:54 AM..
 7 years ago '09        #16
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,653 | Props total: 13108 13108
We need a theorhetical pic of this creature. Where's the skull and other parts of it? Just a finger and no hand? Sounds odd....
 12-23-2010, 08:35 AM         #17
QueenzBaller26  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 *-InfiniMatic-* said:

n*gga what ?? u stupid ??
 7 years ago '04        #18
young_al 
space
space
$1,385 | Props total: 88 88
So is this the missing link I have been hearing about around these academic circles? I mean did they say if this humanoid had white dna or black dna? Just like the 90's all over again with this evolution bulls**t.
 7 years ago '04        #19
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 young_al said:
So is this the missing link I have been hearing about around these academic circles? I mean did they say if this humanoid had white dna or black dna? Just like the 90's all over again with this evolution bulls**t.
The idea of a "missing link" is kind of outdated. Many transitional fossils have been identified that fall between modern humans and our earlier primate ancestors, but this is a species that lived side-by-side with modern humans, so it wouldn't really fall into that category.
 7 years ago '09        #20
TERRANCE CRACK 48 heat pts48
space
space
$8,193 | Props total: 51 51
Hmmm i wonder if i took my time machine back to that time could i f**k one....hmmm
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
45 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
96 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
59 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
19 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy