Phat ass white girl for real
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
109 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #1
7358 pageviews
181 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,838 | Props total: 4135 4135
DaOmega_1's TOP 10 best movies of 2010 list

So, here we are, the year is winding down... And, honestly unless "Gulliver's Travels in 3D" is majorly better than expected, I don't see this year really producing any other good movies in the two weeks we have left. So, now is a good time for me to reflect upon the year, and share what movies are my personal favorites that I have seen this year.

Now, let's begin...

10). The f!ghter

[pic - click to view]

If this film had been with any other cast of people, it might've been just good... But, since the solid script is backed by an intensely great cast, it makes it all the more better. There is not a single bad performance to be found here. The transcendent work here is that of Christian Bale. He has thrown himself in this role so completely, that at some point, you forget it's Christian Bale. I think this may be the reason why the weak link may be Mark Whalberg's character... This is a mindful choice because the writers and the director wanted to show the differences between their characters. Whereas Whalberg is quietly dealing with it all, Bale is constantly vibrant, but in a way that is desperate. This is a smart choice, and this relationship dynamic between them is what drives the movie dramatically... A really great family drama that is masquerading (rather successfully) as a sports drama.
Score: 9.0 (out of 10)

9). The Social Network

[pic - click to view]

Since this movie is on EVERYONE'S top 10 list, it's safe to a.ssume that anyone who disagrees may be wrong (or, according to some, just people who don't want to follow a trend). I must admit, I was a little disappointed with this film. If only because of the fact that I was expecting more social commentary on the effect that facebook has had on our collective culture. However, the movie was less about that, and more about the (clearly over-dramatized) start of facebook and how it became the biggest thing ever. So, while I am not in the opinion that it is a groundbreaking classic, I do agree, however, that the movie is fantastically written (really, the dialogue is f*cking phenomenal), incredibly well-acted, and near-flawlessly directed. Why it's not higher on my list may be because I (rather biased, I'll admit) wanted more of the pointed commentary about our culture in the wake of facebook. While it may not be what I hoped for, I love it nonetheless, and it still is one of the best movies of the year.
Score: 9.0

8). 127 Hours

[pic - click to view]

I can safely say that there isn't alot of other movies that I think about daily... This is the one, only because of the truly disturbing (and non-exploitive) arm cutting scene is just engraved into my memory. That isn't to say that it is the only thing that is good about the movie, because it is truly an emotionally rich and engaging thriller. James Franco, as Aron Ralston (the guy who had to cut his arm off), has a difficult job with this movie... Simply because through most of it, the only character he is bouncing off of is himself. There is no one else really in the movie that is featured significantly... It is mostly all him... And, that (if you ask me) is pretty damn impressive. Danny Boyle is in top form here, and his editing style and pacing totally works in this film. Maybe it isn't the arm cutting that is the reason why it has stuck with me so long, maybe it's that the level of emotion and true energy in the movie is so honest, that it makes that one pivotal moment matter.

If there is one thing that mystifies me, it is some of the hate this movie is getting. I've been hearing the same over the past few weeks. It's in your right to hate this movie if you want, but you know what? I love it. That's right. I think it's absolutely a great heist film in the tradition of something like "Heat", except this may be more of a character-driven film than "Heat" was. Ben Affleck can no longer be laughed at. He has proven himself with two films that are absolutely great. The writing and the dialogue is among some of the best dialogue in ANY crime drama from this (or last) year. There are wall-to-wall great performances from everyone (even Affleck himself). The direction of some of these action scenes (including a chase scene that is truly a showstopper) elevates this above alot of what I've seen this year... I know there is ONE person in particular (you know who you are) who hates this on here... And, I know he'll probably debate to no end about how bad he thinks it is... But honestly... f*ck it. I love the movie. Now, get mad.

6). Toy Story 3

[pic - click to view]

This may be the only movie this year with the title of making everyone cry like a little girl collective in the theater... I went to see this in an audience of 20-somethings who grew up with the original "Toy Story", and everyone left weeping... As for me, it almost got me... Maybe this is because this is a grand send-off to our childhood... The film does this beautifully... It's about getting old, it's about realizing your limits as an adult, it's about growing up and growing away... But, it never gets too depressing to the point that it is unbearable. It is also an adventure movie, and creates a true sense of excitment... with toys? Yes. With toys. And, it represents how to do a 3rd film in a franchise correctly... Other filmmakers (even Christopher Nolan with "The Dark Knight Rises") should be taking notes.

5). Shutter Island

[pic - click to view]

Martin Scorsese's psychological thriller, "Shutter Island", is a very divisive film. The common complaint seems to be about it's ending. Let me clarify this: THIS IS NOT A TWIST. This film isn't about the ending, it's a study of a character. There are clear hints throughout that already allude to the ending, so don't go in thinking about the ending. Now, if you ask me, I love the sh*t out of this film. I think Scorsese knocks this one out of the part, and knows how to create a sense of dread and tension that's building steadily throughout. It's Scorsese unrestrained. And, it's also Leo unrestrained too. Of his performances (in both this & Inception), I label this as the better one. Leo got to explore so many dimensions here, and it shows... Plus, that scene towards the end with Michelle Williams is a true KNOCKOUT, it hits me in the gut like few scenes in this year. Truly phenomenal.
Score: 9.5

4). Let Me In

[pic - click to view]

We complain about remakes alot... lets admit it. Sometimes, we complain about them just because it may seem like the cool thing to do. So, what happens when a remake can not only match but (in only a few ways) surpass it's original? Well, then you'd get "Let Me In", a remake of the Swedish film "Let The Right One In", which itself is based on a novel. What struck me was that it didn't feel very Americanized at all... It's almost the same movie, except with a slightly quicker pace, and a little more allusions to the terrible things occurring. I'm glad that they kept the right things, and changed the right things. Matt Reeves (who previously directed Cloverfield) has proven himself to be a director who may be a force to reckon with. His confidence here is shown through the gorgeous cinematography, the powerful performances, and the truly terrifying feel that reverberates throughout the entire film. DAMN, this movie is the sh*t.

3). Inception

[pic - click to view]

Chris Nolan's existential heist film is a movie bursting with imagination to spare. This one, too, has been getting late-in-the-game hate. Which, I don't understand why... Because, from my perception, I thought the film was near flawless. I thought the way they staged these grand dream sequences, managed to create a mythology that makes sense in the context of that world, AND still managed to make a kick-ass sci-fi action film is incredible. It's a smart and intellectually tight film, and also a very emotionally powerful one too. I've been hearing this complaint that the film is "cold"... That's wrong. In fact, I found Leo's journey in trying to return to his kids and get over the
[spoiler - click to view]

to be very powerful. Which brings us to Marion Cotillard, who brings a STELLAR performance here. She is damned powerful... In fact, the entire cast brings their A game. It's a truly unique sci-fi action film that also has the story and the emotion to defend itself from it's haters...

2). Scott Pilgrim VS The World

[pic - click to view]

Call it a hipster film if you want, but you'd be ignoring (or maybe you just missed) the fact that it is actually a SATIRE of hipster culture... and a damn brilliant and perfect one too. I loved this film on a level that I wasn't expecting to love this year. Here is a film you can truly say is unlike anything that came before it, drawing inspiration from pop culture in all the RIGHT ways, and not crassly. The biggest thing is that, while visually it's top notch, it never ever neglects its story and its characters. All of that is intact, and is more prominent than I was expecting. Edgar Wright is 3 for 3 here... I think this is not only his masterpiece, but a masterpiece in this genre itself. It WAS the best film of the year, but unfortunately was beaten by my number one film...
Score: 10

1). BLACK SWAN

[pic - click to view]

Darren Aronofsky has created a massive work of art. A perfect symphony of imagery, music, performance, and creativity. There aren't many movies that can claim to be as creative as this film. And, the level of remarkable craftsmanship is daunting. Natalie Portman has created a destined-to-be-nominated performance here that shows her true dedication to this role. She is INCREDIBLE here. In fact, everyone in the cast (including the underrated Barbara Hershey in a devastating performance) is incredible. With beautiful cinematography, an amazing score, and excellent writing, I cannot think of anything I've seen this (or last) year that boasted such an excellent level of quality. If you haven't yet, I urge you... RUN, do not walk, to see this movie.
Score: 10

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 12-18-2010 at 06:56 AM..

181 comments for "DaOmega_1's TOP 10 best movies of 2010 list"

12-18-2010, 03:11 AM         #2
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
#7 is subliminal shot at me.

Well-founded list (besides "The Town", the good directing couldn't balance out all the negatives in this movie for me). I haven't seen Let Me In or The f!ghter yet; I can tell 127 hours is great (my movie instincts), just waiting for a good time to watch it.

Surprise me you didn't rank "The Social Network" higher and buy into the circle joke like everyone has. Even though its in my top ten films of the year, too.

Question: You have two films at a perfect score, so what puts Black Swan over Scott Pilgrim?

Last edited by TheBallDontLie; 12-18-2010 at 03:21 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #3
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 TheBallDontLie said:

Surprise me you didn't rank "The Social Network" higher and buy into the circle joke like everyone has. Even though its in my top ten films of the year, too.

Question: You have two films at a perfect score, so what puts Black Swan over Scott Pilgrim?
Yeah, it's become this kind of phenomenon amongst critics. I love the movie myself, I just don't think it's better than the other films that are on my list.

As for why I put Black Swan over Scott Pilgrim, honestly I can't think of a movie I wanna go back to and revisit more than Black Swan. Scott Pilgrim is incredible, but Black Swan, to me, seems like the movie that'll have more staying power.
 12-18-2010, 03:32 AM         #4
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Have you seen "Exit Through the Gift Shop"? I think that has the possibility of sneaking into your top ten. I'm just throwing it out there in case you haven't.
 7 years ago '05        #5
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,456 | Props total: 7101 7101
I knew that was a shot at you as soon as I read it. To this day I don't understand your beef with that movie, but either way, I'm happy you didn't jump to the offensive in this thread. It is a great movie, even though you hate it for some reason. Either way, I like this top ten, although I am shocked Kick-Ass didn't make the cut, and I have yet to see Scott Pilgrim. Either way, Kick-Ass should have got an honorable mention at the very least.

7 years ago '04        #6
namean 
space
space
space
$1,482 | Props total: 0 0
agree with everything except shutter island. even if the end wasn't supposed to be a shocker, the idea of someone being insane and hallucinating everything has been done to death; and since clues were dropped throughout the entire movie, it made getting to the obvious ending that much longer (i.e. no suspense). to say the end wasn't a twist because it was a study of character is moot since all movies are studies of characters. this movie devoted an awful lot of time explaining all the lose ends that were "clues" to the twist to not merit some notice. because they did that, i do qualify the ending as a twist, and a bad one at that.

ready for the didn't read gifs now.
 7 years ago '05        #7
space
space
 Reppindaburghh said:
Either way, I like this top ten, although I am shocked Kick-Ass didn't make the cut, and I have yet to see Scott Pilgrim. Either way, Kick-Ass should have got an honorable mention at the very least.
Kick-Ass is absolutely awesome, but when it came time to do my top 10 list, it kept getting bumped down by other better movies... So, it's probably my number 11, and is most certainly an honorable mention.
 7 years ago '05        #8
space
space
 namean said:
ready for the didn't read gifs now.
Oh, I'm born ready for those... :dancingcool:
 7 years ago '06        #9
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,535 | Props total: 1036 1036
 DaOmega_1 said:
Oh, I'm born ready for those... :dancingcool:
How did you like tron????
 7 years ago '05        #10
space
space
 titanreese said:
How did you like tron????
Didn't see it yet. I see it tomorrow, that's when I'll write a review for it.

Did you see it?
 12-18-2010, 04:12 AM         #11
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I knew that was a shot at you as soon as I read it.

I'm happy you didn't jump to the offensive in this thread.
omega made me aware of my nasty temporarily attitude - back to normal now.

It is a great movie, even though you hate it for some reason.
I understand how others dig it. Just lot of non sense and other negatives that overshadowed the excellent directing.

I have yet to see Scott Pilgrim.
If you liked Kick-Ass I'm confident you'll enjoy SP, as they're both fun films fill with action, but you stated you really don't like comedy that much. so...

Last edited by TheBallDontLie; 12-18-2010 at 04:18 AM..
 7 years ago '06        #12
titanreese 13 heat pts13
space
space
$12,535 | Props total: 1036 1036
 DaOmega_1 said:
Didn't see it yet. I see it tomorrow, that's when I'll write a review for it.

Did you see it?
Yea.....Great 3D movie.....Good acting and great acting from (jeff Bridges)....Its funny b/c it gives you a 1980 feel with a 2010 3D. This movie was alot better then the 1st movie........If you like the 1st, you will love the 2nd one.......Some movies are NOT made for 3d but still use 3D to make an extra dollar...Tron is worth the money
 7 years ago '05        #13
space
space
 titanreese said:
Yea.....Great 3D movie.....Good acting and great acting from (jeff Bridges)....Its funny b/c it gives you a 1980 feel with a 2010 3D. This movie was alot better then the 1st movie........If you like the 1st, you will love the 2nd one.......Some movies are NOT made for 3d but still use 3D to make an extra dollar...Tron is worth the money
Hmmmmm... cool... I'm looking forward to it...
 7 years ago '05        #14
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,165 | Props total: 958 958
Ummm so u telling me I need to see let me in and scott pilgrim, have my reservations about these 2, haven't seen them yet, but I will check out now..
 7 years ago '05        #15
space
space
 DymeKatcha said:
Ummm so u telling me I need to see let me in and scott pilgrim, have my reservations about these 2, haven't seen them yet, but I will check out now..
I'm not saying you "need" to see them, I'm just saying that for me, I think they're some of the best films this year.
 7 years ago '05        #16
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,165 | Props total: 958 958
 DaOmega_1 said:
I'm not saying you "need" to see them, I'm just saying that for me, I think they're some of the best films this year.
Got ya, but if your critical a.ss said they were good and u will critic the s**t out of a movie and u put them so High I gotta check them out
 7 years ago '05        #17
space
space
 TheBallDontLie said:
Have you seen "Exit Through the Gift Shop"? I think that has the possibility of sneaking into your top ten. I'm just throwing it out there in case you haven't.
Just watched it, and damn... I may actually to make adjustments to my top 10 list now.
 7 years ago '07        #18
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,231 | Props total: 20012 20012
let me in was f**kin dope, so surprised by that movie. still gotta see black swan, the f!ghter & social network
 12-18-2010, 06:48 AM         #19
TheBallDontLie 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Just watched it, and damn... I may actually to make adjustments to my top 10 list now.

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #20
space
space
 minimafia_aj said:
let me in was f**kin dope, so surprised by that movie. still gotta see black swan, the f!ghter & social network
Yeah, Let Me In left me mightily impressed...

Dude, you're gonna love Black Swan.
Home      

most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
139 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
113 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
142 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
206 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
20 comments
2 days ago