J. Cole Reveals Roc Nation Debut Frustrations, "I Thought My Album Would've Been Out Around Now"

most viewed right now
 NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
29 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
153 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
21 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
182 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #81
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
J Cole sucks.

Dude has the same subject matter as Nas but is he selling? Uhh No.
 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM         #82
HotepSuns 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Deniro732 said:
that gif is priceless..but real s**t there's a whole bunch of salty a.ss doubters in here..I GURANTEE YOU n*ggaZ J COLE WILL SELL..and sell big at that..his fan base is huge and growing..he's a marketable artist with substance in his raps..he's a dope a.ss overall artist..if i had to compare him to a similar artist out now i'd have to say he reminds me of lupe fiasco..dope as f**k, can make tracks with substance in it that still have that mainstream appeal..like lupe he will enjoy mainstream success also, although limited..because let's be honest even though their music is the definition of GREAT HIP HOP..great hiip hop artist no longer sell these days, sadly ..EVERYONE WATCH though J COLE IS NEXT UP..there's no denying that..i gurantee that s**t

[pic - click to view]

12-16-2010, 04:04 PM         #83
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ppl keep talking about jay z when the reality is that all jay was help Cole get a deal

Jay have said it over and over in his so gs that HE IS NOT GOING TO HOLD YOUR HAND THROUGH THIS s**t. he'll sign you and put you on one of his joints you'll have to learn how to float by your damn self.

Jay isn't the only man working at roc nation, Cole has too answer to other folks as well.

And I don't believe jay know how respected Friday night lights was far as the Internet go, he's busy doing other s**t, then again maybe he does, I remember memphis bleek said in an interview back here that ppl think him and jay don't keep up with these hiphop sites and s**t, that ppl think they are out of tune to what's going on far as rap and s**t but he said that him and jay be on the worldstars and stuff like that.

Cole needs one hit and that's all. All of this other stuff doesn't matter. I'm pretty damn sure he hopped jay to Friday night lights and how it had twitter crazy and even though jay isn't on twitter it doesn't mean he don't know the s**t.

Cole JUST got a co-sign from Reggie noble, you don't think that didn't get back to jay in some way?
 7 years ago '05        #84
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
This is not helping Jigga's reputation.

Dame seems to be the only n*gga helping people blow up, how many albums did Curren$y put out?

J Cole is signed to HIS label, Jigga seems to be only good for promoting himself, and Drake.
 7 years ago '07        #85
*-InfiniMatic-* 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,032 | Props total: 3314 3314
 J Rob said:
It seems like he's worrying too much about how his debut sells. He's the type of artist that needs to handle this the old fashioned way.....just put out a single, release the album and just promote it through shows and on some word of mouth/grassroots type s**t. (think Common during the 90s)

This dude is taylor made to be an underground superstar/fringe mainstream type of artist...it would fit him perfectly, but I don't think he wants to accept that. He wants to be a star
True...not putting my n*gga down sayin he cant do mainstream hip-hop, but I think he would like and benefit more from underground hip-hop or signing to an Indie label...
 7 years ago '10        #86
hustlershope84 
space
space
space
$1,332 | Props total: 35 35
 JaiMega said:

Dame seems to be the only n*gga helping people blow up, how many albums did Curren$y put out?

J Cole is signed to HIS label, Jigga seems to be only good for promoting himself, and Drake.
Does Lyor get blamed when someone from Atlantic flops?
 12-16-2010, 04:32 PM         #87
dhegarty1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
greatness requires patience
 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM         #88
Marvin Hagler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HotepSuns said:

[pic - click to view]

aye Hotep talk to these n*ggas mayne cuz they trippin like Linda. first they talmbout da boy had a summer anthem in Who Dat now they sayin he gotta a huge fanbase & he doin big sales numbers????

n*gga pleeeeeeease f**k outta here
 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM         #89
REAL_NESS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HotepSuns said:

[pic - click to view]

Hahaha Hollow da didididon
 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM         #90
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Marvin Hagler said:

aye Hotep talk to these n*ggas mayne cuz they trippin like Linda. first they talmbout da boy had a summer anthem in Who Dat now they sayin he gotta a huge fanbase & he doin big sales numbers????

n*gga pleeeeeeease f**k outta here
hotep shouldn't even be in this thread.
 7 years ago '04        #91
wizmon 
space
space
$121 | Props total: 4 4
 N.O.4Life said:
So,what he thought he was gonna come out before willow...LOL.

Roc Nation schedule for 2011

Jay and Ye-Feb 2011
Willow-April 2011
Jay Vacation-May-Sept 2011
Jay album-Oct 2011

7 years ago '05        #92
Basicgz 
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 1399 1399
Once Again..................... Independent > Majors and this is always the case...its always the same gripes from artist I bet if J.Cole wasnt on a major and dropped Friday Night Lights he wouldve been able to tour off that mixtape and his previous mixtapes and not lose his buzz and drop his album I think if he was to drop a album next week I feel he would move 20,000 - 30,000 in his first week.........Your not goin to gain fans overnight there are still people who dont even kno who J.Cole is thats why at that BET Hip Hop awards show he performed at a lot of people was like who the f**k is this

I'm a J.Cole fan but I feel if he went the route Wiz did or do what Curren$y is doin he would be huge right now and in a better position career wise...people think that a co-sign from Hova is goin to automatically make him a superstar....this is how Majors k!ll artist buzz this album is about to sit comfortably on the shelf
 7 years ago '06        #93
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,678 | Props total: 8630 8630
 JaiMega said:

when dame was on the roc everybody albums came out. Jayz to big to be hands on with his artists. Currensy aint sold jack s**t but got 2 albums out in one year. I kiinda agree you should let an artist figure it out but when they dont know s**t really about the business you sending them to the deep end of the pool people telling them learn how to swim.
 7 years ago '05        #94
Basicgz 
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 1399 1399
 marcusaka50 said:
when dame was on the roc everybody albums came out. Jayz to big to be hands on with his artists. Currensy aint sold jack s**t but got 2 albums out in one year. I kiinda agree you should let an artist figure it out but when they dont know s**t really about the business you sending them to the deep end of the pool people telling them learn how to swim.
Look at it like this tho Pilot Talk 1 sold like 5,000 its first week then he toured like crazy then dropped Pilot Talk 2 and it sold 13,000 its first week just like Soulja Boy he increased his fans by 8,000 in 3-4 months he's increasing his fanbase and thats independent paper he makin also I think J.Cole shouldve done the same in my opinion
 7 years ago '04        #95
.Mase Da Rula.|M 1 heat pts
space
space
$25,670 | Props total: 177 177
 UcantCme said:
serioulsy you had never heard of it or you just trying to state you dont think its all that great?
I like the song tho.... but for an "anthem" ... No......... anthems are songs that get heavy radio play and propel an album
 7 years ago '10        #96
hustlershope84 
space
space
space
$1,332 | Props total: 35 35
 J Rob said:
Friday Nights Lights just did for J. Cole what Kush & OJ did for Wiz Khalifa....but n*ggas just don't realize how big a buzz is until an artist has a hit. ah well, you'll see
I mean nicca rocking 10k fans without an album. but they think his buzz is miniscule, dude is similar to where Wiz was earlier this year.
 7 years ago '10        #97
trill jackson 738 heat pts738
space
space
$18,862 | Props total: 13317 13317
all i got is you is the only thing i heard from him that has single potential. ive yet to hear that big record. if he drops now the sales will be low. just like the classic bleek line, his time is coming he's one hit away. problem is we all know how elusive that one hit could be
 7 years ago '07        #98
MiseryCityTexas 19 heat pts19
space
space
space
$20,601 | Props total: 4206 4206
 J Rob said:
It seems like he's worrying too much about how his debut sells. He's the type of artist that needs to handle this the old fashioned way.....just put out a single, release the album and just promote it through shows and on some word of mouth/grassroots type s**t. (think Common during the 90s)

This dude is taylor made to be an underground superstar/fringe mainstream type of artist...it would fit him perfectly, but I don't think he wants to accept that. He wants to be a star
I coulda swore just last month j cole said he didn't give a damned about record sales.
 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM         #99
AbsLikeJesus 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
His Toronto show sold out 4k people in a week, literally a week! I got my ticket just barely. When I went to the shows, people were buying tickets off guys right outside the show for $200. s**t is disturbing that he didn't even drop an album and he's got people fiending like that for him but it's great.

Who Dat a summer anthem :budden:

It did get a lot of play here in Toronto though but not nearly as much as it should have to be an anthem. He's on pace, trust me. Drake wasn't getting ANY attention before So Far Gone, not only that, everyone bumped him to "support" a Torontonian, not because they thought he would blow up. Everyone that he had the same flow on every song and rapped the same s**t, but we all bumped him and somehow he blew up.
 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM         #100
AbsLikeJesus 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
He's having a big hit coming with a special someone on the hook...

So: Cole is in NYC, that Tuesday night after the Drake show. Inspired by his Dreamville business partner Ibrahim H., a guy he’s been down with since his St. John’s University college days, Cole decided to hunt down Mr. Carter. Texts are exchanged and then Cole is headed over to a fancy East Village nightclub called Butter, where a birthday celebration for Young Jeezy was dying down. “He was upstairs eating, like the Godfather, by himself at a table. I walked up to him. I ain’t have too many words. I was like, ‘Yo I think I got something special, I just need you to hear it.’ I told him I wanted Trey Songz to get on the hook and I handed him my iPod. His reaction was so f**kin’ crazy. That was probably the craziest reaction I ever got from him on any song.”

Hov’s scrunched up face and exuberant exclaims enforced that the decision Cole made to force a meeting was correct. “Out of all the songs I brought him I think that’s what he was lookin’ for,” Cole says. “It’s something I’d never done, a different sound. Like nothing I’ve done—but in a great way. This is the culmination of all lessons. I stepped out of my own box. This record will open up so many doors for me.”
Read the whole thing at

Last edited by AbsLikeJesus; 12-16-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
25 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
202 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
79 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy