J. Cole Reveals Roc Nation Debut Frustrations, "I Thought My Album Would've Been Out Around Now"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
89 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
109 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #1
11049 pageviews
142 comments

SM 38199 heat pts38199
space
space
$128,021 | Props total: 67740 67740
J. Cole Reveals Roc Nation Debut Frustrations, "I Thought My Album Would've Been Out Around Now"

Rapper J. Cole has opened up about his Roc Nation debut frustrations and why he envisioned the long-awaited album to already be on store shelves by now.

Cole did not have full confidence when told his debut would drop by late October 2010.

"Man, I thought my album would've been out right around now. But one thing I've learned in this game is you never know anything. I remember when they gave me the release date of October 26. I was so hyped. But I soon knew that wasn't gonna happen. I haven't even had a consistent three weeks in the studio. I'm blessed enough to be able to go out on the road. I get a good week in the studio but then I'm off for a show. But I still managed to pull off what I think is an incredible album." (RESPECT)

The rapper also said he discovered his music's radio play potential with the release of his summer anthem, "Who Dat."

"The fact is, as many radio stations in as many places that did play 'Who Dat' exceeded my expectations," Cole added. "Now that I know the game and I've been on these stations, I know who's gonna play what records, and who's not. I refuse to be the artist that drops a super-duper great album, but it goes under the radar. Or it sells however many thousands, but there was no radio record so the masses didn't get a chance to hear it. I refuse to be that artist." (RESPECT)

Cole's Roc Nation debut is currently slated to arrive in stores by the spring.

"The album could be done. If I needed to put it out next week, I would be able to," the Roc Nation rapper said in a November interview. "My expectations were already super high and I think the fans' were too, but now that the mixtape is out and the response is what it is, I kinda want to go back in and do a few more songsthat are that much better, just to boost the level of the album...I think we're looking at a March release date or something around there with the single coming in a couple weeks." (Rap-Up)

Last June, the rapper talked to SOHH about recording his "Who Dat" music video.

"I think it was an excellent reception," Cole told SOHH. "I just wish I would've explained to people more that it was a one shot, that we shot on film and even when you watch it in HD version it looks incredible because it was on 35mm film which is what they use to shoot movies with. Even with that said I think people respect the fact that I went home [to Fayetteville, NC]. I didn't come out with a whole bunch of jewelry, a whole bunch of light skinned girls with short shorts on. It's a real organic feeling video. I really wish I would've explained more to people but you know in time people will get it. They'll see all the imagery and all the little signs." (SOHH)

[pic - click to view]

J. Cole Reveals Roc Nation Debut Frustrations, "I Thought My Album Would've Been Out Around Now" | SOHH.COM

142 comments for "J. Cole Reveals Roc Nation Debut Frustrations, "I Thought My Album Would've Been Out Around Now""

7 years ago '10        #2
StoopidVillinz 21 heat pts21
space
space
$8,460 | Props total: 6363 6363
i like cole...but he know he aint ready for a album
 7 years ago '06        #3
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,690 | Props total: 8651 8651
jayz aint got dame dash around to get his s**t out
 7 years ago '05        #4
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,990 | Props total: 10695 10695
Friday Night Lights is the Mixtape of the year so far...

Def wanna hear his debut...
 7 years ago '07        #5
Change167 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$404 | Props total: 2 2
Mixtape of the year....Dont get Frustrated J. Cole ur time is slowly but surely comin homie....dude is hott as s**t....was jus bangin Friday Night Lights last night like wtf how can a n*gga rly think of this s**t....
 7 years ago '05        #6
pokora 
space
space
$1,168 | Props total: 5 5
@ j.cole frustation

n*gga, u are on roc nation :jay::jay:

7 years ago '06        #7
primetimemookie 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,078 | Props total: 98 98
 NahLij said:
Will Smith made the power move to block him and gave his budget to Willow....
i am almost sure i would bet willow's cd sells more than j.cole. boxden is probably going to get pissy over that statement but its true and its business.
 7 years ago '06        #8
Blah 17 heat pts17
space
space
$25,531 | Props total: 6777 6777
he just doesnt have it
should just go indie
 7 years ago '07        #9
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,630 | Props total: 10694 10694
So,what he thought he was gonna come out before willow...LOL.

Roc Nation schedule for 2011

Jay and Ye-Feb 2011
Willow-April 2011
Jay Vacation-May-Sept 2011
Jay album-Oct 2011
 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM         #10
Father Aftermath 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ChiCity Fingaz said:
If ROC Nation is the Lakers, then J.Cole is Adam Morrison.
Does that make Jay-Z Phil Jackson? Always coming back for 'one more season'?
 7 years ago '08        #11
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,574 | Props total: 17247 17247
most people don't even remember he was on the camel's last album, so yeah this guy needs to start up from square one again
 7 years ago '04        #12
Dtruth 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$338 | Props total: 0 0
 J Rob said:
It seems like he's worrying too much about how his debut sells. He's the type of artist that needs to handle this the old fashioned way.....just put out a single, release the album and just promote it through shows and on some word of mouth/grassroots type s**t. (think Common during the 90s)

This dude is taylor made to be an underground superstar/fringe mainstream type of artist...it would fit him perfectly, but I don't think he wants to accept that. He wants to be a star
well said... he wants that spotlight cause he feels that his talents are deserving of it (which they are) but the game just isn't built for real artists right now
 7 years ago '05        #13
Flatbush85 54 heat pts54
space
space
$14,388 | Props total: 696 696
J. Cole is about to "Nancy Kerrigan" Willow Smiths legs
 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM         #14
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #15
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
J-Cole is not a "star". Talented artist. But not a "star".
 7 years ago '07        #16
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,327 | Props total: 1121 1121
 StoopidVillinz said:
i like cole...but he know he aint ready for a album
what makes u think that? s**t; his mixtapes feel like albums
 7 years ago '10        #17
LORD PLISSKEN 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$21,017 | Props total: 8022 8022
i dont hear or see it. :shrugs:
 7 years ago '06        #18
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,357 | Props total: 835 835
Just put your album out on fatbeats or something like that he's a dope rapper but not a mainstream rapper
 7 years ago '10        #19
2TopFlite 22 heat pts22
space
space
$24,520 | Props total: 2539 2539
 primetimemookie said:
i am almost sure i would bet willow's cd sells more than j.cole. boxden is probably going to get pissy over that statement but its true and its business.
The f**ked up part is i agree, ppl will buy a f**king willow smith cd before a J.Cole cd na aint dat sum shyt.. u cant tell me the game aint f**ked
 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM         #20
YoungGQ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 J Rob said:
It seems like he's worrying too much about how his debut sells. He's the type of artist that needs to handle this the old fashioned way.....just put out a single, release the album and just promote it through shows and on some word of mouth/grassroots type s**t. (think Common during the 90s)

This dude is taylor made to be an underground superstar/fringe mainstream type of artist...it would fit him perfectly, but I don't think he wants to accept that. He wants to be a star
i don't think dude necessarily wants the stardom...at least the music don't sound like he does......n*gga just wants his music to be presented the way he envisions it. can't be mad at that.
Home      

most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
139 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
113 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
142 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
206 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
20 comments
2 days ago