most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
98 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Shaking it with no draws on
5 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #1
7280 pageviews
94 comments

Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389
space
space
$18,418 | Props total: 5 5
Complex MN's 10 Reasons Lil B Will Blow Up In 2011

from
[pic - click to view]

www.complex.com

[pic - click to view]

He Gives Away Tons of Free Music
Why it matters: Dare we say Lil B's onslaught of free music is comparable to Lil Wayne's pre-Carter III wave of mixtapes, if only in quantity? Lil B drops a new video every other day on his YouTube page. He thinks nothing of releasing three 30-track mixtapes in the same week. Certain #rare songs are hard to find. Dude has made keeping up with his thousands of songs a weird, "gotta catch 'em all" type of deal, and one look at his Twitter or Facebook pages let's you know that plenty of kids out there are responding. Which brings us to our next point...

[pic - click to view]

He's Mastered Social Media
Why it matters: Lil B is probably following you. Or maybe you got a RT from him, one of the hundreds he does everyday. Or you might have gone back and forth with him in comments of one of his videos. Whatever the case, it's allowed him to connect with tens of thousands of people everyday in a very unique way. He's given Twitter the type of devotion most rappers reserve for the studio. Last night alone, he tweeted gems like this, promoted his January 13 performance at NYC's Highline Ballroom, and invited female followers to his private #LILBTWITTERPARTY. These exchanges happen daily and have helped him develop a loyal fan base. Which is part of the reason why...

[video - click to view]

He Has A Cult Following
Why it matters: Lil B's supporters aren't your run-of-the-mill rap fans. They send him messages like, "PLEASE f**k MY MOM BASEDGOD!!" complete with a Michigan address (including a zip code and phone number, in case you were wondering). They go crazy when he "cooks" at concerts, and fire off any of his dozens of catchphrases ("b**ch Mob," "tiny pants," "woo," "swag") at random.

[pic - click to view]

His Shows Are Awesome
Why it matters: Lil B has had shows in most major markets over the past few months, but they've been spaced out enough for him to brand them as "rare." Even someone who doesn't like his music would still be entertained. Some kids come decked out with chef hats, aprons, and spatulas to augment the "cooking dance." His bizarre, bass-heavy anthems replicate well in live settings, and there's the disbelief when he asks the audience, "Can I f**k your b**ch?" to a resounding sea of "Yes!"

[video - click to view]

He's Controversial
Why it matters: This year, Fantasia's Back To Me sold 240,000 copies in its first week after a suicide attempt. Kid Cudi's Man On The Moon II sold 180,000 copies in its first week after a much-publicized drug arrest. It's no coincidence: controversy sells and Lil B The Based God is in good luck because he knows how to generate it. He's said he would "f**k [Kanye] in the a.ss" for not acknowledging him on Twitter. He started a relatively unprovoked beef with Joe Budden and got himself in the rap headlines. He got sucker punched on YouTube and flipped it into a good look. He's exactly what people mean when they say, "no press is bad press."

[video - click to view]

He's Always Getting Better
Why it matters: Lil B is a funny guy. Even if we like songs like "I'm Paris Hilton," we know not to take them too seriously, but we don't deny his ability to make legitimately good songs, either. When we hear tracks like "Real s**t From A Real n*gga," it really seems possible for him to piece together a solid debut LP.

[pic - click to view]

The Media Is Paying Attention
Why it matters: Lil B has come a long way since we interviewed him back in early June. Around that time, he was just starting to get a lot of people's attention, and since then, other outlets have taken notice with The New York Times giving him a glowing review, and The Fader recently gave him a cover. You might want to dismiss the guy who calls himself a "pretty b**ch" as pure novelty, but his press coverage is proving otherwise.

[video - click to view]

Soulja Boy Co-Signs Him
Why it matters: Yes, Soulja Boy only moved 13,000 units of The DeAndre Way this week, but that doesn't invalidate his influence on Lil B's career. Soulja Boy is still a star and has given Lil B an invaluable amount of visibility, including affiliation with his SODMG imprint (although Lil B is still an independent artist) and telling us that Lil B's 6 Kiss was one of his favorite albums of all time. We loved "Pretty Boy Swag," but damn, B could wind up outshining SB the way Waka did with Gucci.

[pic - click to view]

Other Rappers Are Noticing, Too
Why it matters: Lil B forgot, but Kanye actually did acknowledge his presence when he posted "Swag OD" with Soulja Boy on his old UniverseCity blog. Jay Electronica reached out to him recently, and guys like Wiz Khalifa, Lupe Fiasco, Cormega, and Tony Yayo have been co-signing him for a while. That's not a bad group of peers to have support from this early in the game.

[pic - click to view]

He'll Finally Sign An Album Deal
Why it matters: After the success of his grassroots campaign this year, there's no way Lil B won't find a home at a major label come 2011. When we asked him about it recently, he said, "I'm going to be signing my deal officially in 2011. Stay tuned for with who!" Every indie rapper with a little buzz says the same thing, but for some reason we think it'll happen for the Based God.

94 comments for "Complex MN's 10 Reasons Lil B Will Blow Up In 2011"

12-11-2010, 06:43 PM         #2
JoeyPrince 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

I been tried to tell these n*ggas
... still trying
 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM         #3
JoeyPrince 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

I been tried to tell these n*ggas
... still trying
 7 years ago '06        #4
Affectz 131 heat pts131
space
space
$8,221 | Props total: 4507 4507
I think hes gonna sign to interscope,would be crazy if he signed to young money or roc nation lol
 7 years ago '10        #5
deadlift 19 heat pts19
space
space
$6,934 | Props total: 8071 8071
Thank you BASEGOD (tears)
 7 years ago '07        #6
1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177
space
space
$24,901 | Props total: 1146 1146
hip hop is dead
 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM         #7
Kakarot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this lil b dude not so bad in fact i kinda
 7 years ago '09        #8
kingstown04 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,544 | Props total: 87 87
dude does put in work...i give him that
 7 years ago '09        #9
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,393 | Props total: 5103 5103
im still in denial that anybody likes this dude its gotta be a joke
 7 years ago '10        #10
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
this dude should keep branding himself and stay indie. why sign to a major with a cult following? he should do it the way tech n9ne did it.
 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM         #11
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lil B doing his thing. Wish him the best.
 7 years ago '07        #12
C4daTimeBomb 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,484 | Props total: 339 339
One reason he might blow is because he's a f*g. And being that he's a gay rapper, he has the support of a lot of other f*gs. He's got the gay community on lock.
 7 years ago '06        #13
Affectz 131 heat pts131
space
space
$8,221 | Props total: 4507 4507
lil b is gonna blow up in 2011 thats a no brainer
 7 years ago '08        #14
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,742 | Props total: 1228 1228
Who?
 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM         #15
coolbeans 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hoes is on his d!ck...
 7 years ago '08        #16
fly_society_05 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,293 | Props total: 26 26
good a.ss read

he's following me on twitter lol
 7 years ago '10        #17
basedhiphop 
space
space
$1,782 | Props total: 0 0
 fly_society_05 said:
good a.ss read

he's following me on twitter lol
he dropped me a comment on my youtube page
 7 years ago '04        #18
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,565 | Props total: 2425 2425
I have never listened to one of his songs.
 7 years ago '05        #19
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
he's getting better? the fk?! he was way better when he came out with the pack more like he's getting worse. and i thought he was already signed to SODMG? what a dumb a.ss blog. he aint blowin up nowhere. and if he does music is officially dead.
 7 years ago '07        #20
dnycem 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,743 | Props total: 1751 1751
I Co-sign this powerful thread......Thankubasedgod
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
38 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
14 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
99 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
116 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
161 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
227 comments
21 hours ago