Dec 2 - NASA Finds Alien DNA in California

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
207 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
255 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA After losing seven straight, Stan Van Gundy calls out Andre Drummond, Pist..
42 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
93 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #101
young moolah 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,341 | Props total: 384 384
 Metalzoa said:
Look at the amount of time and science we have spent just to find out that life can exist in the absence of phosphorus. Previously all our detection would require all the pre-conceived 6 notions required for life. Now we have to write algorithms and provide equipment to detect if tte object being analyzed for life is using substitute elements or if it exists even if in absence of any of the 6 or alternatives.

It basically changes everything right down to HOW we look for alien life. It pays to identify properly before heading out based on a.ssumptions and ignorance.

but we're not heading out based on complete a.ssumptions and ignorance. we do have some basic principles we can work around. we know some of the necessary conditions for life on earth. so there's nothing wrong with heading out to space and probing for life based on that knowledge, as long as the costs doesn't severley outweigh the benefits. This research has just broaden the scope of our search. With or without this research we still would have some idea of what we would be looking for when it comes to searching for life elsewhere.

There's an element of learning that comes from exploration that you can't get from research. Science is a dynamic field. if you sit there and what til you have the answers to everything before you move forward then you're going to be sitting around for quite some time.
 7 years ago '07        #102
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$18,086 | Props total: 1523 1523
 Metalzoa said:
Let me put this in idiot-friendly terms:

You are browsing circle jerk pr0n like you normally do, and you get a virus. You run Norton Antivirus and it returns with no virus found.

Do you:

i. re-run the scan and hope it finds it this time
ii. update the virus definition list before re-running the scan

:hmm:
that's what I mean though, this example is nothing like what I'm saying
 7 years ago '07        #103
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
 Metalzoa said:
My stance is to point out that you guys are stupid, but you're relying on group appeal to sell your idea. Address the issue directly and we can have a discussion. Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low.

the "group" formed after I made my post. I can't help it if logical ppl agree with me

The process of detecting life is complicated (since we can't really define life to a machine) so we have to use them to collect information and we make the objective analysis ourselves.

So no ... there are no probes with a sole mission to find alien life. The probes are sent to collect soil, atmospheric and other related data so we can calculate and determine if it is worth a closer look or not.

so according to you, we shouldn't do this^ ??

I guess that is not included under my argument for research before launching probes huh.
Ok then.

you just stated this in THIS POST. lolwat

Yes.

We may know there are infinite combos, but how can you explain that to a robot several millions of miles out in space so that you can make the most of your research time and dollars? If our former breakdown of what life is has been found to be faulty, why would you continue working on that principle when you know its broken?

no scientist believed that the only combo of life was the current one we all had here on Earth, there just wasn't any proof of this so it became a theory.

Revise your search criteria ... get the best minds to look over it and come to a workable consensus then send a better equipped and smarter probe.

that's exactly what happens each time they send a new probe out
and it's funny how ppl slang around the word "arrogant".

there's nothing arrogant about me refusing to waste my time if I chose not to.
 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM         #104
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Really?

Replace virus with alien life.

Replace scan with send probes.

Replace update virus definition with research.
 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM         #105
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eddie your argument has no leg to stand on. You keep bring up this group and whatnot when Im trying to get you to address the basic logic behind the decisions.

Wasting your time is typing here about anything has is not about research versus exploration.

And its not my fault I have to list every possible angle that needs to be researched for you to clue in.
It just means you`re really slow and have a hard time keeping up with basic principles.
 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM         #106
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 614FACE said:
this s**t is stupid. normal people with real problems dont care about s**t like this to make it a big announcement. i guess ill have to watch it to understand wht the big deal is.
things like organisms being able to live under complete different dna codes is huge

it gives scientists and medical-professions a reason to search for other things ie different approaches towards cures and medicines. it may have a completely different dna code but who is to say that if we found a cure for something from these organisms, that it wouldnt work in our body? its all experimentation

you can learn ALOT from things that are completely different from anything weve discovered before

plus its on earth so it is easy to examine

Metalzoa said:
No.

Im saying go looking when you have a better idea of what to look for.
But this is what the whole discovery was about................ You cant discover anything or have a better idea of what to look for if you dont look....

*- this aint the bible or a religous text, s**t dont just fall from the sky for us to make discoveries, even then you gotta look inside a meteorite

Last edited by Sniggit; 12-03-2010 at 09:48 AM..
 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM         #107
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sniggit said:
But this is what the whole discovery was about................ You cant discover anything or have a better idea of what to look for if you dont look....
Does discovering have to involve spending trillions launching s**tty probes?

Y'all making it sound like we will never know till we waste time and money running a mission that has almost no success rate.
 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM         #108
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Metalzoa said:
Does discovering have to involve spending trillions launching s**tty probes?

Y'all making it sound like we will never know till we waste time and money running a mission that has almost no success rate.
Not on about that dude or attacking you, I havnt read all the other posts cos theyre too f**king long, but from that post I guessed you were on about the discovery itself. And probes dont actually cost that much unless you send a huge f**koff one off into the sky, which probes aint, theyre just solar powered machines.

If they can detect gasses with telescopes using light and infa red, they can now start looking at planets with arsenic or whatever the building blocks for arsenic are, which is pretty cheap
 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM         #109
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sniggit said:
Not on about that dude or attacking you, I havnt read all the other posts cos theyre too f**king long, but from that post I guessed you were on about the discovery itself. And probes dont actually cost that much unless you send a huge f**koff one off into the sky, which probes aint, theyre just solar powered machines.

If they can detect gasses with telescopes using light and infa red, they can now start looking at planets with arsenic or whatever the building blocks for arsenic are, which is pretty cheap

Would you like to revise your statement?
 7 years ago '04        #110
Tastemaker331 46 heat pts46
space
space
$39,164 | Props total: 9591 9591

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '06        #111
sunsetnVine 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$8,753 | Props total: 3691 3691
iz confused... how is it alien if its in cali...

wouldn't that mean we just missed it???
 12-03-2010, 11:10 AM         #112
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sunsetnVine said:
iz confused... how is it alien if its in cali...

wouldn't that mean we just missed it???
its not alien life. but we did miss it for so many millions of years.

and thats really my point: if we are missing s**t on earth still that is blowing all our knowledge of life out of the water, why are we sending expensive sucky probes when we can just research the universe better and come up with firmer conclusions before launching more s**t into space?
 7 years ago '07        #113
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
 Metalzoa said:
Eddie your argument has no leg to stand on. You keep bring up this group and whatnot when Im trying to get you to address the basic logic behind the decisions.

Wasting your time is typing here about anything has is not about research versus exploration.

And its not my fault I have to list every possible angle that needs to be researched for you to clue in.
It just means you`re really slow and have a hard time keeping up with basic principles.
What group did I bring up? What angle, other than sitting and doing research for 100 years on something that would have infinite results, have you provided? Why are you so focused on disagreeing with me?

simple questions. and that last one, if you find the answer, you will understand why I feel as if you're a waste of time.

you can sit here and say I'm slow and this and that, it really means nothing at the end of the day, especially to me. anger during a debate is a result of a feeling of failure.
 7 years ago '09        #114
Cardeezy17 
space
space
$350 | Props total: 55 55
 Eddie.. said:
What group did I bring up? What angle, other than sitting and doing research for 100 years on something that would have infinite results, have you provided? Why are you so focused on disagreeing with me?

simple questions. and that last one, if you find the answer, you will understand why I feel as if you're a waste of time.

you can sit here and say I'm slow and this and that, it really means nothing at the end of the day, especially to me. anger during a debate is a result of a feeling of failure.
I really don't think he gets it, he keeps trying to debate just for the sake of winning an argument. And honestly, probes are sent out to collect information and samples from space so that we may use it to further our research, so this argument is kind of backwards.
 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM         #115
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What angle other than doing research and wising up have I provided? Eddie you're making yourself look bad right now.

i. Research is the only way forward. If we stopped doing research to improve our knowledge and technology, we will always be wondering whats out there and sending robots with s**tty understanding of the universe to find life.

Im not providing any other angles because any plans without looking at how fast technology advances and how much science advances and factoring it into a long term plan, not just some rush because we have trillions of dollars to shoot at the moon or something ... is really not worth considering. I'm just waiting till you realize it.

You seem to take my determination to enlighten you guys (since I am a great one ;) ) as a personal vendetta. Like i said ... i could care less about you or any others. Im here for the discussion. If you don't wanna discuss then step aside. as you can see m maintaining my point and doing research and discussing with those who feel like addressing my point.

And all of y'all are dropping like flies because you're talking and not able to back your point up. You're riding group think and treating it as a logical solution because you guys all agree with it.

You still have not explained why advancing our technology 100 years into the future is a bad idea and that we are better off launching trillions of dollars into space right now instead of doing our homework first.
 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM         #116
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cardeezy17 said:
I really don't think he gets it, he keeps trying to debate just for the sake of winning an argument. And honestly, probes are sent out to collect information and samples from space so that we may use it to further our research, so this argument is kind of backwards.
No its not.

Look closely at the original topic. All of the research involved, from the organism to the growing conditions of it are native to Earth. Basically we did not need to go into space to find this out.

And thanks for a.ssuming Im stupid, but its you who isn't keeping up.

Why pay $100 trillion to find out what you can learn about on earth for $1 million?
 7 years ago '09        #117
Cardeezy17 
space
space
$350 | Props total: 55 55
 Metalzoa said:
No its not.

Look closely at the original topic. All of the research involved, from the organism to the growing conditions of it are native to Earth. Basically we did not need to go into space to find this out.

And thanks for a.ssuming Im stupid, but its you who isn't keeping up.

Why pay $100 trillion to find out what you can learn about on earth for $1 million?
And you are STILL trying only to win an argument smh...

You apparently are smarter than all the people at NASA who dedicate their entire lives to things like this. Last thing I'm going to say on it. You think we should sit still and not do anything and do all the research we can until we know everything we possibly know before doing anything else. Everyone in Columbus' time swore up and down the world was flat, and they didn't have satellites and stuff to see our planet from the outside. The only way they could have disproved it was to get in their boat and keep going and see what happens. So what Columbus found a continent by accident. You're saying its so easy to do without realizing that they had thought they had already mapped out the entire planet at that point. It's easy to see now that it was simple but not with what they knew at the time. The best way for them to research was to venture out. If they sat around people would still be saying the earth was flat.

I'm done.
 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM         #118
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Metalzoa said:

no, did you read the 2nd part *of my post*?

Since you seem so smart as to prove nothing, as it doesnt cost trillions, would you like to revise YOUR statement?

MANNED flights cost much more, but not trillions

you suck at arguing dude, especially when you attack with a smiley

oh n ha @ you referencing Wikipedia, do you read anything real?

I wonder wth your going to argue with against that, something against my grammar?

Last edited by Sniggit; 12-03-2010 at 12:08 PM..
 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM         #119
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cardeezy17 said:
And you are STILL trying only to win an argument smh...

You apparently are smarter than all the people at NASA who dedicate their entire lives to things like this.
Are you one of them? If not then how is this relevant to the discussion?
Im smarter than you when it comes to this topic. I can prove it all day any day.
Until you are smarter than me about it then I suggest you refrain from speaking on behalf of the people at NASA who dedicate their entire lives to things like this.

Cardeezy17 said:
Last thing I'm going to say on it. You think we should sit still and not do anything and do all the research we can until we know everything we possibly know before doing anything else. Everyone in Columbus' time swore up and down the world was flat, and they didn't have satellites and stuff to see our planet from the outside. The only way they could have disproved it was to get in their boat and keep going and see what happens.

So what Columbus found a continent by accident. You're saying its so easy to do without realizing that they had thought they had already mapped out the entire planet at that point. It's easy to see now that it was simple but not with what they knew at the time. The best way for them to research was to venture out. If they sat around people would still be saying the earth was flat.

I'm done.
[/quote]

Plato did it almost 1000 years before Columbus without ever setting sail.

Oh wait ... you're done.
Never mind.
 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM         #120
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sniggit said:
no, did you read the 2nd part *of my post*?

Since you seem so smart as to prove nothing, as it doesnt cost trillions, would you like to revise YOUR statement?

MANNED flights cost much more, but not trillions

you suck at arguing dude, especially when you attack with a smiley

oh n ha @ you referencing Wikipedia, do you read anything real?

I wonder wth your going to argue with against that, something against my grammar?
Really.

So the cost of the craft, the cost of the fuel, the cost of the scientists and engineers spending years working on it, the cost of the research involved, the cost of maintaining the crew on earth who monitors the bots and make sure everything is going on fine ... all of that s**t is going to cost less than 1 trillion dollars? Really?

I could go ahead and disprove you but this would just be an argument about semantics.

My point is that it currently costs less to be on earth and do research here than it would to launch a bot in space and do the research via proxy. You're just going to argue about the overall price tag, but the fact is that research is cheaper than launching probes right now.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
74 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
63 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
184 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
58 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
47 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
23 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
145 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
82 comments
20 hours ago