XXL Mag. Article: Why Does the Internet Hate Nas...??

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
115 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
63 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
78 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #81
GoDzSoN35 
space
space
$1,937 | Props total: 0 0
Nas didnt lose cause he got 2 baby mama's. He lost cause he married dat b**ch Kelis!
 7 years ago '08        #82
phantom4life 
space
space
space
$825 | Props total: 23 23
First of all I wanna say that was a good read and you pretty much summed it all up. I never really got the "Nas lost" thing or what started it but it never meant shyt to me. I always been a fan of Nas and he has been the goat for some time now imo. I think people are just very critical of Nas because of the type of rapper he is and his starting point in Illmatic (even though I always liked IWW more) and what other rapper do you know that can stay true to his fans and still sell records? who cares if he doesn't go quadruple and triple plat every time? is a rapper that sells out or makes something completely out of their character better if they sell more albums? no doubt he's had some shortcomings in his personal life but who hasn't? if you think ur fav rapper doesn't then somethings being covered up, please believe that. anyway, I never understood or cared what Nas lost or smarten up Nas was about and I'm sure Nas could care less too.
 7 years ago '06        #83
Vdot88 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,620 | Props total: 2 2
when did the "smarten up nas" thing start? anyone how it originated and became so popular?
 7 years ago '05        #84
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$37,004 | Props total: 1321 1321
 Avon_Barksdale said:
[CENTER]

Nowadays, mostly because of the Internet, he’s a punch line—the terms “Nas Lost” and “Smarten Up Nas” have entered the hip-hop lexicon through their nauseous, juvenile overuse on rap blogs. Honestly, I really don’t get it.
 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM         #85
Walt Thizzney 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
OFF WITH UR KUFFI!!!!!!

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '08        #86
phantom4life 
space
space
space
$825 | Props total: 23 23
 .Hafestos. said:
So what this article is saying, that he fell from top 10 to not mentioned at all?

Only thing that could make it worse, was if his verse on Ouchie Wallie was outshined by his bodyguard or something...

Nas Losttttt
get off Jay's nutsack
 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM         #87
WEREWOLF 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
somehow i can foresee this thread is going to culminate with eminem ft nas collabo
 7 years ago '08        #88
durag27 
space
space
$603 | Props total: 226 226
Nasir Jones lost because he's just another hypocrite rapper with no solid base to fall back on.

He doesn't show up to award shows....doesn't create a smart buzz for the next record/album....and his subject manner is in over your head at times, if not uninteresting (depending on the listener). Face it...Nas tried to be too mature for a fickle young rap game.

I like Nas because he can make a complete album with lyrics that'll leave you pondering....but u gotta make the banger's for those who only expect it. He should re-network in the game and do features with the up and coming artists and shine his name in a new light. I'd love to see Nas to a feature with Curren$y, Jay Elect, Mos Def, Slaughterhouse, Wayne, hell even Lloyd Banks! Remix's or mixtape exclusives....somethin!

But he'll look to murder Inc. before he does that. (Nas Lost)

And at those times when Nas tries to GO IN (like the Made U Look Remix), you can't help but to compare his presence in the booth to his acting in Belly.....absolute weaksauce.
 7 years ago '05        #89
.Hafestos. 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,397 | Props total: 0 0
 Velveeta00 said:
when did the "smarten up nas" thing start? anyone how it originated and became so popular?

What are you 12?

Use your - BRAAAAAAAIN! You said you been in this ten
I've been in it five - smarten up Nas
Four albums in ten years n*gga? I could divide
That's one every let's say two, two of them s**ts was due
One was - NAHHH, the other was "Illmatic"
That's a one hot album every ten year average
 7 years ago '05        #90
.Hafestos. 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,397 | Props total: 0 0
 phantom4life said:
get off Jay's nutsack
So I'm on Jay's Nuts cause he was right?
 7 years ago '04        #91
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,925 | Props total: 17527 17527
yea .."project windows" was madd underated
 7 years ago '10        #92
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,294 | Props total: 23804 23804

[pic - click to view]

nas, comes back.
 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM         #93
Walt Thizzney 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cam ended what was left of dudes career
 7 years ago '10        #94
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,878 | Props total: 13678 13678
 Cutty Olds said:

[pic - click to view]

Cashius_Slay said:

[pic - click to view]

Lamar Burton said:
Sad but true

Nas is my dude but homies 13 reasons Nas Lost are more factual than fictional.
But lets face it Nas is a better rapper/emcee than Jigga. Ether is jus 1 of the many examples. Nasir need better beats and more power, pus*y, and paper type bars.
 7 years ago '05        #95
Youngtanna'08 
space
space
space
$36 | Props total: 0 0
 PowerBar Ernie said:
Because Nas asked for it..
This is perhaps the one of realest statements I've read, whether you meant it as such or not. Any claims that NAS is either more authentic or not mainstream or what so have you are illegitimate because he has tried over and over again to simply sell records, to give the mainstream audience what they needed at the time. Tracks with Lil John, deals with murder Inc, various vapid pop hits and worst, working with Diddy in any significant capacity (historically the worst thing any artist could every do) undermines his "I'm not pop, I'm something else" persona.

I personally mess with Nas real hard, not because he makes me feel more intelligent or like some kind of elitist hiphop head, but because he has lyrics and flow, he's always had lyrics and flow, some better than others but he raps like a pioneer, like someone thats been doing it for a very long time and knows exactly what he's doing. IMO he's better than Jay lyrically by a strong margin but their delivery have become similar over time. But if the hip hop masses held lyrics genuinely to any high regard we'd all mess with poetry harder.

But we don't usually, understandably so. It takes a whole machine that sells an artist to us, that makes us f**k persona and his craft. Jay's is the best in the game. "Nas lost" ironically happens to be a part of Nas' machine. I love the analogy between Kennedy and Nixon in the article because its so poignant how n*ggas can d!ck-ride Jay and in the same breath hate on Nas, but still elect them both, their both politicians playing the game, lets not forget that, and they both win more often than not.

I think its the typical Nas stans that really cause the backlash however. Everytime someone wants to defend Nas they condescendingly cite the content of his lyrics like their immensely intelligent or something, that they feel somehow more righteous or militant or intellectual listening to it, like every other lyricist is dumbed down in comparison. That's probably the most offensive thing some one can say in defense of Nas because truth be told, he's not that smart. Like really, he's really not that smart. Nas has an eye for detail and can expound greatly on the things around him. Thats why Illmatic was so hot, he drew Queensbridge for us with all its nuances; throw in some 5 Percenter talk and hungry young n*gga flow, you have a classic. But nowadays he's a cliched activist thats not even active or well-informed, chubby and making poor personal decisions. "Nas lost" is simply a sarcastic timely internet jab at Nas as prophet from the late 90s and early 2000s.

Basically listen to your rappers for rap not philosophy of politics, or you'll just look foolish and angry when you're f!ghting memes.

Nas Lost
 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM         #96
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ya'll waste your time worrying about what this man does, and just rag on him any chance you get. you fail to see the fact that he is the greatest to ever do it. Even in the last decade when hip-hop has surely declined in quality, Nas is still at the same level lyrically he was back in 94. While nothing could possibly compare to that album, he has still put out some dope, pure hip hop joints and is still a lyrical god, so quit hating and get with it. f**k Jay-Z old washed up a.ss n*gga.
 7 years ago '07        #97
*-InfiniMatic-* 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,036 | Props total: 3319 3319
Nas is my top favorite rapper, but even then I will throw in a "Nas Lost" on Boxden. It's not a hate thing, just fun to do s**t
 7 years ago '07        #98
*-InfiniMatic-* 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,036 | Props total: 3319 3319
 Cashius_Slay said:

[pic - click to view]

I was like that too...like damn, I cant defend this n*gga, he hit all the key Losses...but Nas still my n*gga f**k that ahah
 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM         #99
.aviator.man. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Avon_Barksdale said:

Oliver Stone’s Nixon is one of my favorite movies. And when I think about Jay-Z and Nas, that films comes to mind. Despite being elected to two terms, the 37th President of the United States was the most despised politician of the late 20th century. (Okay, maybe Joe McCarthy.) In the film, a dejected Nixon looks at a portrait of his political archrival, the 35th President, John F. Kennedy and mutters, “When [the people] look at you, they see what they want to be. When they look at me, they see what they are.”
realest s**t i read.
 7 years ago '04        #100
youngmic 407 heat pts407
space
space
$28,435 | Props total: 29682 29682
lol and the funny thing is that nas lost bulls**t came from weak a.ss alias...lol i think everyone who still says that s**t lost...gtfoh
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
177 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
99 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
135 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Biggie Smalls was Official South Side Compton Crip
60 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
59 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
76 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
202 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
75 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy